HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 30, 2020, 11:54 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndogger View Post
It's the confidential data aspect I was most interested in hearing about. The VPN stuff, etc. is common sense and something we should all be using anyway.

I know in the past (not all that long ago) it seemed like a regular occurrence to hear about government or healthcare workers downloading files onto a laptop to take home to work on and then either losing the computer or having it stolen. More often than not those files contained a lot of confidential data which resulted in a lot of stress for people as their identities could have easily been stolen. Hopefully they've found a way to prevent people from downloading such files onto unsecured computers.
That's actually a good question. I know that many government workers in Ottawa-Gatineau are being told to log in to the network, download their documents onto their C drives, and then log out to take pressure off the network and give others a chance.

Though people working offline from home or elsewhere on their C drives was happening even years before the COVID-19 situation was on anyone's radar.

(Virtualized desktops as described in the previous post aren't really a thing yet, from what I gather.)

In any event I guess none of this is really any worse than taking a briefcase full of paper home like in the old days.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2020, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
I left the federal governement a couple years ago, but at that time, remote access required approval above the director level and there had to be a rationale. You had to install the government's VPN solution on your computer and log in with something stronger than a password (it was a grid type thing with a bunch of alphanumeric codes). It was difficult to work because it kept booting you off. They were very strict about it. I had secret clearance but was not allowed to work remotely on anything with cabinet confidence. That was restricted to computers in the office.

I imagine it's different now that thousands of people are working remotely, but I am sure they are still very strict about it. A lot changed after the student loan data breach a few years ago. Nobody wants to be responsible for a similar breach.
I think it depends on the department, some are very strict about telework (Justice Canada, possibly DND) whereas some are pretty relax about it and even encourage it to some extent (CHMC and some other smaller departments).

Old Posted Mar 30, 2020, 1:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le calmar View Post
I think it depends on the department, some are very strict about telework (Justice Canada, possibly DND) whereas some are pretty relax about it and even encourage it to some extent (CHMC and some other smaller departments).
DND has been/is currently encouraging telework due to our two separate and physically divided networks.

The Defence Wide Area Network (DWAN) is an unclassified system that a majority of DND business is carried out on.

The secure network is Consolidated Secret Network Infrastructure (CSNI) which is not allowed outside of secure rooms and buildings. It is impossible to telework on this system.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2020, 2:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
That's actually a good question. I know that many government workers in Ottawa-Gatineau are being told to log in to the network, download their documents onto their C drives, and then log out to take pressure off the network and give others a chance.

Though people working offline from home or elsewhere on their C drives was happening even years before the COVID-19 situation was on anyone's radar.

(Virtualized desktops as described in the previous post aren't really a thing yet, from what I gather.)

In any event I guess none of this is really any worse than taking a briefcase full of paper home like in the old days.
I'm not a tech guy so I admit I don't have full awareness of what goes into it, but I do find it odd how VPNs and the like still seem to be scarce resources.

I remember 10+ years ago using an encrypted laptop and VPN when working remotely, i.e. on business trips. Given how much more mobile people and business generally have become you'd think it would have become a fairly common resource by now. But apparently not, it's still rationed somewhat... when covid-19 broke my employer was swamped with requests for access from people who didn't have it previously. We are often reminded that only so many people can access the system at once so we have to log off periodically, etc. I find it a little surprising.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2020, 2:56 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I'm not a tech guy so I admit I don't have full awareness of what goes into it, but I do find it odd how VPNs and the like still seem to be scarce resources.

I remember 10+ years ago using an encrypted laptop and VPN when working remotely, i.e. on business trips. Given how much more mobile people and business generally have become you'd think it would have become a fairly common resource by now. But apparently not, it's still rationed somewhat... when covid-19 broke my employer was swamped with requests for access from people who didn't have it previously. We are often reminded that only so many people can access the system at once so we have to log off periodically, etc. I find it a little surprising.
My guess is that most of these networks were set up with capacity based on what the likely maximum percentage of employees working remotely would be at any given time.

They never expected *everyone* to be working from home every day for a month.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2020, 3:02 PM
Closed account

Quote:
My guess is that most of these networks were set up with capacity based on what the likely maximum percentage of employees working remotely would be at any given time.

The reason the internet at large works so well despite the unprecedented load it is carrying is because the proliferation of streaming services have required serious investment in its data transfer capacity.

If this had happened 5-10 years ago at the start of the streaming era, the internet probably would not have been able to cope with the current load.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2020, 3:12 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave46 View Post
The reason the internet at large works so well despite the unprecedented load it is carrying is because the proliferation of streaming services have required serious investment in its data transfer capacity.

If this had happened 5-10 years ago at the start of the streaming era, the internet probably would not have been able to cope with the current load.
Absolutely true, though this is not the same as employer VPN networks.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2020, 3:23 PM

Quote:

For sure. I just didn't think that scaling up would be that much of an issue... I figured it was a bit of a pro forma routine sort of thing, like giving new employees e-mail addresses or something like that. Again, maybe my tech naivete is showing here, but I'm surprised at the cost and resource requirements associated with remote VPN access.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2020, 3:33 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
For sure. I just didn't think that scaling up would be that much of an issue... I figured it was a bit of a pro forma routine sort of thing, like giving new employees e-mail addresses or something like that. Again, maybe my tech naivete is showing here, but I'm surprised at the cost and resource requirements associated with remote VPN access.
Where I work we apparently had VPN capacity for 50% of employees prior to the crisis.

The beefing up of VPN capacity with the expectation that "everyone" (sic) would be working from home led to coverage for about 75% of the workforce. (In the sense that 75% could be logged in at any given time.)

This morning apparently we had about two thirds of employees logged in. So still quite a bit below the 75% capacity. (Almost no one is at the bricks and mortar office.)

I am not in IT BTW but I have access to some corporate info.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2020, 3:34 PM

Quote:
DND knew last winter that we didn't have enough bandwidth. There was a snowstorm in early December and most of the staff stayed home and it quickly became evident that the pipe was too constricted for everyone to work remotely.
As per usual Shared Services Canada (thanks previous government ) sits on its arse and did little or nothing to address this issue. Now its scrambling like mad (with all the issues of physical distancing) to fix the issue.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2020, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itom 987 View Post
Authors and script writers will finally have fresh ideas for new movies.
Been there, done that.

CONTAGION - 2011

Illustrates the worst case scenario of a global viral pandemic from multiple points of view, as ordinary people become severely ill and must be cared for by their loved ones, and harried doctors struggle to contain the disease.

Director: Steven Soderbergh
Writer: Scott Z. Burns
Starring: Marion Cotillard, Matt Damon, Laurence Fishburne, Jude Law, Gwyneth Paltrow, Kate Winslet

"Contagion" is a scary movie where the villain is ourselves, the murder weapon our touch. It's a thriller debuting 16 years after "Outbreak," the last major virus extravaganza, only this latest effort has been updated to match today's technological reach and governmental scrutiny, registering with a more subtle sense of fear than whipping around with wild hysterics. It's a Steven Soderbergh film after all, so it's going to maintain some equanimity. However, as reserved and procedural as it is, "Contagion" should have most audience members radically reassessing exactly what they touch during an average day.

Returning home to Minneapolis after a business trip to Hong Kong, Beth (Gwyneth Paltrow) has become deathly ill with mysterious symptoms, leaving husband Thomas (Matt Damon) powerless to help. Assigned to investigate this new virus, Dr. Cheever (Laurence Fishburne) and Dr. Mears (Kate Winslet) seek to find the source of the outbreak, while scientist Ally (Jennifer Ehle, in a delightfully unexpected performance) works to develop a cure. As the virus spreads across the globe, hope is replaced by fear as society is torn apart by desperation and rumor, instigated by Krumweide (Jude Law), a rogue blogger who's been following the progress of the bug since the beginning. As the days pass and the body count rises, the race to find a solution to the plague is gradually surpassed by the need to control an increasingly restless population desperate for answers.

"Contagion" is Soderbergh's horn-rimmed version of an Irwin Allen disaster movie, utilizing the talents of an enormous cast (also including Elliot Gould, Bryan Cranston, John Hawkes, Sanjay Gupta, Demetri Martin, and Sanaa Lathan) to coolly dramatize the end of the world. It's a multi-character journey of paranoia and skepticism, spotlighting a few individuals dealing with viral concerns while the world steadily erupts into chaos. Unlike Allen's broad productions, "Contagion" isn't escapism, yet it's not exactly hard science either. Soderbergh and screenwriter Scott Z. Burns like to exist in that gray area of concern, building the anxiety brick by brick, leaving the audience to guess what the ultimate shape of the pandemic is going to be.

This is a movie that lingers on the items we touch every single day, from elevator buttons to handrails, exposing the thousands of invisible interactions that take place without awareness. Soderbergh cleverly holds on these innocent behaviors, creating a terrifying sense of unavoidable disaster as the virus hitches a ride around the world, waiting to be picked up by any poor sap silly enough to touch their own face. It's a brutal antagonist, with a body count in the millions. Soderbergh isn't shaping a heated apocalyptic thriller, but the images of doomsday are quite vivid, requiring nothing more than a close-up of a peanut dish at a bar to make the hairs on the back of your neck stand up.

"Contagion" attempts to tell a worldwide story on an intimate scale, jumping around the planet as these doctors and civilians deal with the outbreak. Not all of the subplots work, finding Burns depending on some sleepy conventions to tie the film together (Marion Cotillard is wasted as a World Health Organization official taken hostage), and Krumweide's destructive arrogance feels more conventional than diabolical, striking a bizarre note of blogger satisfaction and profound national influence that doesn't read as realistic. Despite a few speed bumps along the way, "Contagion" creates a credible portrait of a world gone mad, highlighting the detachment of government measures and the struggle of the common man, observing Mitch deal with closed borders, scarcity of food, and a teen daughter who can't stand the isolation. The director keeps the plates spinning confidently for most of the picture, manufacturing a feature more interested in extracting unease than shaking viewers until they wet themselves.

As a tool to encourage rabid hand washing and dissuade anyone from choosing Hong Kong as a tourist destination, "Contagion" is most effective, boosted by a gifted cast contributing a winning, furrow-browed intensity to help amplify the message. The film hits expected notes of cinematic dread, but it's more consumed with a slow suffocation, presenting a viral outbreak with some degree of practicality. "Contagion" doesn't attack, it builds slowly to a point of no return.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2020, 12:43 AM

^^Maybe he means that writers and producers will have to spend more time at home coming up with ideas instead of parties, socials and galas.

I've been loving the working from home part. Also even after this, there's no way our firm would go back to all that needless flying around the continent for most of our meetings, now that it turns out we had the technology all along to get all the same necessary things done in our pajamas.

Traffic is going to be permanently reduced, since many corporate policies on remote working will be updated as they discover that that productivity remains good. Many adaptions and innovations by businesses will likely remain after this is over.

Really not liking how rats are reclaiming the surface streets of Toronto (i've never seen one in 10 years living here, and have seen a dozen these 2 weeks)

Old Posted Mar 31, 2020, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dleung View Post
Really not liking how rats are reclaiming the surface streets of Toronto (i've never seen one in 10 years living here, and have seen a dozen these 2 weeks)
Do not be surprised if you start spotting more and more coyotes because of the Rats.
https://www.blogto.com/city/2020/01/...oronto-reason/

Old Posted Mar 31, 2020, 1:30 AM

Hey guys, FLAR started this thread to try to get away from the constant negativity we are bombarded with 24/7 about this virus. His/her thread is a great one emphasizing POSITIVE results of the virus. It's a breath of fresh air we all desperately need so let's respect FLAR's thread and only post positive outcomes.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2020, 1:48 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

I expect that we will "learn lessons" from this virus experience, but that will be especially true in the scientific and health communities, followed by political communities. The actual attention span of the general populace is anyone's guess, but it will last for at least a generation. Heightened awareness of pandemic threats will likely result in things like overreactions and false alarms, but that's a good thing compared to the slow reactive responses we have seen this time.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2020, 2:35 AM

khabibulin, there are many different viewpoints of the epidemic to be explored that our generation never thought of before. What you've illustrated is the most obvious perspective mentioned about an outbreak.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2020, 2:43 AM

Quote:
Is the government going to pay for your Internet while you work at home? How do they handle confidentiality of data in terms of ensuring that whoever lives with you doesn't have access to people's personal data? Do they just trust you'll logout if you have to go to the washroom, etc.? I'm not insinuating anything bad will happen--just genuinely curious how stuff like this is handled.

I'd hold off investing a bit longer. There's a lot of talk that markets are going to retest recent lows and then take off. The economy is going to lag behind.

It's weird how some food items are being bought up. A lot of it can't be stockpiled and it makes no sense that people would be eating more.
I don't think that they will pay for my Internet. But maybe they'll give me a flat monthly amount for using a room in my house as an office but I'm not expecting that. I did a lot of work from home for a previous federal government job I had and got $15.00 per month for home office expenses but they provided me with a laptop.

I am working from home on a voluntary basis as there were too many people in the office for the current situation.

I am using my personal laptop to do my work right now which I wasn't expecting. But I connect using a program that connects to my computer at work so nothing ends up on my personal laptop. I had to complete some online forms for usage and security. I have already signed lots of other things for confidentiality and data protection and have frequent security checks so I guess they trust me. I am not allowed to have anybody else in the room with me when working. I cannot leave the computer alone for more than a minute or two before it boots me out. Plus, to use many of the programs, you need to enter passwords and also know what codes to use to access stuff.

Last edited by Loco101; Mar 31, 2020 at 2:58 AM.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2020, 2:56 AM

Quote:
It's the confidential data aspect I was most interested in hearing about. The VPN stuff, etc. is common sense and something we should all be using anyway.

I know in the past (not all that long ago) it seemed like a regular occurrence to hear about government or healthcare workers downloading files onto a laptop to take home to work on and then either losing the computer or having it stolen. More often than not those files contained a lot of confidential data which resulted in a lot of stress for people as their identities could have easily been stolen. Hopefully they've found a way to prevent people from downloading such files onto unsecured computers.
I don't know a lot about computer security but I my employer is VERY strict about it. If anybody ever puts a USB or whatever connection into any of our office computers or in a computer connected to the system from home, they know right away. They immediately will email you as well as your manager and you lose access and have a meeting concerning it.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2020, 2:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post
I don't think that they will pay for my Internet. But maybe they'll give me a flat monthly amount for using a room in my house as an office but I'm not expecting that. I did a lot of work from home for a previous federal government job I had and got $15.00 per month for home office expenses.

I am working from home on a voluntary basis as there were too many people in the office for the current situation.

I am using my personal laptop to do my work right now which I wasn't expecting. But I connect using a program that connects to my computer at work so nothing ends up on my personal laptop. I had to complete some online forms for usage and security. I have already signed lots of other things for confidentiality and data protection and have frequent security checks so I guess they trust me. I am not allowed to have anybody else in the room with me when working. I cannot leave the computer alone for more than a minute or two before it boots me out. Plus, to use many of the programs, you need to enter passwords and also know what codes to use to access stuff.
That does seem odd that they would let you use your own computer. Even stranger--at least to me--is that they only give you $15/month for home office expenses.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2020, 3:04 AM

This whole thing is a conundrum for me. I can see the seriousness of the potential of what could happen but it really hasn't sunk in. It's business as usual for me. I work in an essential service and frankly am profiting greatly from this. My colleagues and I are getting expense money that some are calling "danger pay" but it really isn't meant for that.

So, I'm of two minds, I would love to be sitting on my ass at home taking some well and long deserved time off or going to work and profiting. I am very lucky to be in that place when others, who are more hard pressed, are unemployed. But there's also a small part of me that says, I'm risking a possible death (however remote) while others are more or less safe at home sitting on their ass. It really is weird.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada