HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Nov 6, 2015, 1:37 AM

Alex Decoteau park... this is indeed great. I would like to see more of this Downtown.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2015, 1:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Update!

Mayor Iveson reads to kids about Alex Decoteau

http://www.edmonton.ca/city_governme...yor-reads.aspx
Awesome....

Old Posted Nov 6, 2015, 3:57 AM

I feel sorry or the kids...

Old Posted Nov 6, 2015, 4:02 AM

Cause they're love it so much, the dogs, the greenspace, the rolling grass to play on, the gardening, being outside?

Old Posted Nov 6, 2015, 4:04 AM
Community Guy

Playfull water feature too!

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Nov 6, 2015, 4:20 AM

I didn't notice the water features until you mentioned them. I hope they can skate on it in winter.

Still, no swing sets, teeter-totters etc...

Old Posted Nov 6, 2015, 4:23 AM
Community Guy

Oh you. Skate at city hall, leg, Vic, arena, QMP.

Playground? Grandin.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2015, 10:54 AM

Oh...you have to go to another Community like Grandin, Cloverdale, Queen Mary Park? Is there not some playground stuff beside the EPSB Museum?

Old Posted Nov 6, 2015, 3:08 PM
Community Guy

^Nadda, although there has been a little bit of a push for some there.

There are rumours that there will be a playground put in with the new Milner on the Centennial Plaza redo that will be secure, large and fun.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2015, 3:51 PM

Quote:
^Nadda, although there has been a little bit of a push for some there.

There are rumours that there will be a playground put in with the new Milner on the Centennial Plaza redo that will be secure, large and fun.
Well we have what we hav e and EPL would be nice - but need something more community focused: around Diamond Park might be perfect. Maybe the City could donate a lot to DECL for such use??

Old Posted Nov 6, 2015, 3:56 PM
Community Guy

The City has significant funds, $30mil or so, for a larger 'central' park that is/was to be parcelled north of Jasper between 106 and 108sts... but I believe that is going to be challenging. Ideally we would get a really great facility with the Milner, but there is a need in McKay Ave for some equipment. The challenge is that Dick Mather park is already well used by dogs, quite busy actually and so I am not sure that is the best spot given that many pups might be displaced. It is ideal for dogs given that it is fenced on multiple sides and large enough for people to play with them on and off leash.

Perhaps the central park can be a bit smaller than originally anticipated, but with a real focus on kids first.

That said, Grandin School is a really nice alternative and only a 5-10min walk.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2015, 8:54 PM
Community Guy

9 years or so of hard work by many many folks... that much closer to reality.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2015, 8:57 PM
Klatuu Barada Nikto

^ Love the sign!

Indeed, lots of kudos to go around for making this happen. Can't wait for the groundbreaking.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2015, 9:29 PM

Quote:
The City has significant funds, $30mil or so, for a larger 'central' park that is/was to be parcelled north of Jasper between 106 and 108sts... but I believe that is going to be challenging. Ideally we would get a really great facility with the Milner, but there is a need in McKay Ave for some equipment. The challenge is that Dick Mather park is already well used by dogs, quite busy actually and so I am not sure that is the best spot given that many pups might be displaced. It is ideal for dogs given that it is fenced on multiple sides and large enough for people to play with them on and off leash.

Perhaps the central park can be a bit smaller than originally anticipated, but with a real focus on kids first.

That said, Grandin School is a really nice alternative and only a 5-10min walk.
Different community...Grandin. I am surprised your suggesting that people drive out of the DECL area to play with their kids. We have parks for dogs - are children not a priority??? If we want children to live in the Downtown Edmonton Community then there needs to be a playground - simple as that. I don't understand why it can't be built north of 97 Ave and West of 102 Street. The old city building could also function as some additional community space. That area would make a nice family friendly block. That area north of 97 Ave should be included in DECL. If not then by Diamond Park - right by the ball park in the humongous parking lot that is a waste. It can be done cheap and be a place where parents and grandparents (like me) can walk with children when they live or visit Downtown. I am less excited about a location in the "Central" Park area being contemplated and more excited about children playground close to the River and/or where there is old tree growth and its quieter.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2015, 9:33 PM
Community Guy

Walking to Grandin is 10mins, maybe 15 for most... a similar time to get to the other great spots for kids, ie. the Leg, ball diamond in Rossdale, LMP along the river. Yes we want a park with playground for kids Downtown, was Alex the site, no. We needed to address the needs of many with Alex and believe the final design reflects that, but very much understand that a few more kid friendly areas are indeed critical to a 'Downtown for Everyone'. The Milner's expansion will feature some kind of kid friendly area outside that is safe and secure and our next plan is to get the central park going, be it large or small in a way to address other needs of the community such as a playground.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2015, 4:20 AM

Quote:
Walking to Grandin is 10mins, maybe 15 for most... a similar time to get to the other great spots for kids
This is a good example of where you are on one side of the fence, while me and other parents that have children are on the other. Trying to go for a 10 - 15 minute walk with a two year old takes more like 15 - 30 minutes because there is always a chance the kid will poop in their diaper, cry for food, or just be a complete jerk. We also got to worry about the 15 - 30 minute walk back. So why bother walking all that way to a playground? It's so much more convenient to drive. If I am going to drive, why bother driving to a whimpy little park when I can go to the mondo park in the burbs? Then it becomes, "why bother living downtown"? Downtown living has to be convenient for parents or they won't even bother...

Old Posted Nov 11, 2015, 4:32 AM

This sums it up quite nicely don't you think.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2015, 4:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itom 987 View Post
This is a good example of where you are on one side of the fence, while me and other parents that have children are on the other. Trying to go for a 10 - 15 minute walk with a two year old takes more like 15 - 30 minutes because there is always a chance the kid will poop in their diaper, cry for food, or just be a complete jerk. We also got to worry about the 15 - 30 minute walk back. So why bother walking all that way to a playground? It's so much more convenient to drive. If I am going to drive, why bother driving to a whimpy little park when I can go to the mondo park in the burbs? Then it becomes, "why bother living downtown"? Downtown living has to be convenient for parents or they won't even bother...
As a grandparent I did a LOL when I read Ian's post. No way in hell would I or my daughter or son walk their small children all the way to Grandin or ever let a child under 12 walk all those busy streets and intersections by themselves for that matter. Nor will some shit assed play area at the Library suffice. Ian does not "get it" that is for sure. I don't know where he grew up ... and what his play experience was. Obviously has NO children and with that mindset better not have any. And he is representative of DECL - which out to remove the word "Community" from its name. Again DECL about dogs not children - pathetic really.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2015, 6:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
As a grandparent I did a LOL when I read Ian's post. No way in hell would I or my daughter or son walk their small children all the way to Grandin or ever let a child under 12 walk all those busy streets and intersections by themselves for that matter. Nor will some shit assed play area at the Library suffice. Ian does not "get it" that is for sure. I don't know where he grew up ... and what his play experience was. Obviously has NO children and with that mindset better not have any. And he is representative of DECL - which out to remove the word "Community" from its name. Again DECL about dogs not children - pathetic really.
Where were you when the park was being discussed with the community? Did you even bother providing input during public presentations? I'd bet dollars to donuts Ian does a helluva a lot more for his community than you. If you think you can do a better job, why don't you join DECL yourself and get the shit you want done instead of perpetually whining from the comfort of your keyboard all the time?

Old Posted Nov 11, 2015, 4:10 PM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by itom 987 View Post
Maybe I am daft, but most parks I went to with my parents... in suburbia I might add, were a 10min walk or more. We often drove to the better neighbourhood park which was amazing and a 10mins drive. Not often, but on occasion, but generally I walked with my friends or parents to the park and crossed streets, dealt with traffic, etc.

'Why bother' when you need to think or have some effort, good life message to the future generation.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton