HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Feb 25, 2021, 12:53 AM

Taken today, February 24. Click for high-res.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 6:07 PM

Old Posted Apr 22, 2021, 6:23 PM

Crawler crane is on site. Won't be long before this crane is gone and hopefully at another project in town.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2021, 9:28 PM
Closed account

This one really came along quick!

Old Posted Apr 23, 2021, 6:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atbw View Post
This one really came along quick!
It's the only project I can recall seeing the concrete structure get enclosed at a regular pace 2 floors below where the new concrete was being poured.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2021, 7:06 PM

The crane came down today.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2021, 4:02 PM

They've started installing the brick on the townhouses.

Halifax Developments Blog (Photo by David Jackson)

Old Posted Jun 16, 2021, 2:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
They've started installing the brick on the townhouses.

I've walked past and I like the darker mortar/grout on this one vs the Camille next door.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2021, 10:06 AM
Closed account

I’m interested to see how this block feels when everything is completed. I’ve wondered for a while what intensified suburbs would feel like, and maybe replacing smaller buildings at the end of their lives with buildings of this scale, with little townhouse units, might be a good solution in some areas.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2021, 7:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atbw View Post
I’m interested to see how this block feels when everything is completed. I’ve wondered for a while what intensified suburbs would feel like, and maybe replacing smaller buildings at the end of their lives with buildings of this scale, with little townhouse units, might be a good solution in some areas.

Most of the new buildings are replacing older commercial, residential and light industrial buildings. Some that were way past their useful days. And remaining residential,...flats and single family dwellings are being fixed up.

And new bike lanes Keith!,...bike lanes right down the middle of the new construction.

I think that this neighbourhood will turn into a real gem.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2021, 3:43 PM

Old Posted Dec 14, 2021, 5:28 AM

Green grass in December. Kijiji ad says this will be occupied in March 2022.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2021, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
Green grass in December. Kijiji ad says this will be occupied in March 2022.

Looks nice! Too bad it's rentals. I wish we had more (and higher quality) condo development too.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2021, 8:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzt79 View Post
Looks nice! Too bad it's rentals. I wish we had more (and higher quality) condo development too.
Can't have condos here because the cool kids on Reddit will complain about rich condo buyers.

Of course now they can complain about this being a rental since apartments are surely going to be more than $500/month and hence not "affordable".

Old Posted Dec 18, 2021, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Can't have condos here because the cool kids on Reddit will complain about rich condo buyers.

Of course now they can complain about this being a rental since apartments are surely going to be more than $500/month and hence not "affordable".
Oh I've noticed! lol. Those evil rich condo buyers, adding density (and unfairly high property taxes) to the city, can't have that. Obviously there is no relationship at all between prices and rental rates, right?!

I think there are a lot of well-meaning people who truly have zero understanding of markets, supply and demand, migration/population trends etc.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2021, 4:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post

With the number of complaints you see about "oh, more condos being built that no one can afford", you'd think the majority of the new units under construction were condos, when the opposite is true.

I'm certainly a fan of the multitude of mid-rise infill going up in the North End. Also nice to see some taller buildings going up/approved off of Robie, both in the north and south end.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2021, 6:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittle View Post
With the number of complaints you see about "oh, more condos being built that no one can afford", you'd think the majority of the new units under construction were condos, when the opposite is true.
Right now a lot of people conflate "condo" with "luxury multi-unit", but we're also reaching a tipping point where small condos in straightforward buildings like this one could end up being the new affordable option for a lot of people. Quite a few of the affordable housing initiatives (even locally) are about home ownership, including condos.

At the end of the day I think there's just an urgent demand for low-rent apartments right now and until something changes there will be some degree of eye-rolling from much of the public towards everything else that gets built. It is true that there's a lot of rental housing under construction at the moment so hopefully the increased overall supply will take some pressure off rent prices.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2021, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittle View Post

I'm certainly a fan of the multitude of mid-rise infill going up in the North End. Also nice to see some taller buildings going up/approved off of Robie, both in the north and south end.
Love the "no one can afford it" comments... I guarantee every one of these buildings will be full, with a waiting list. Just because someone can't afford it, doesn't mean no one can.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2022, 10:34 PM

Old Posted Feb 7, 2022, 11:28 PM

Man, that looks just terrible, and it's entirely down to the finishing materials. That bizarre oversized bathroom-tile cladding that's showing up everywhere completely mars the upper storeys, and the cheapo paneling on the corners clashes terribly with the brick veneer (which is the one element that's okay).

The massing is fine, if unremarkable. With better cladding this could be a perfectly decent background building.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth