HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jan 29, 2020, 8:18 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Great update on the Old Cook County hospital rehab - it looks incredible

https://blockclubchicago.org/2020/01...ffices-in-may/

Old Posted Jan 29, 2020, 8:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
I wouldn't want to be the ground floor tenant in a building like that ever. It would be like living in a storefront.
storefront apartments are a thing - while not for me personally, it probably makes as much sense as living in an apartment next to the L tracks, which many people also do.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2020, 8:55 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
I wouldn't want to be the ground floor tenant in a building like that ever. It would be like living in a storefront.
I'd be fine with it on a residential street, especially if there is a generous setback or fence.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2020, 10:35 PM

https://ggnazoning.weebly.com/upload...evelopment.pdf

A new plan to replace vacant bank drive through lot at Armitage & Western with a 4-story, 21 unit building.

kind of a small development for the area, but it removes a bunch of curb cuts and of course fills a vacant lot with some density.

I would guess the developer didn't want to get a zoning change and be required to support the AOR demands. it does require a zoning variance which I guess is different.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2020, 10:46 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ excellent!

every time a drive-up bank, or strip-mall, or gas station, or other craptacular auto-centric use at a prominent intersection in our city gets replaced with an urban building, an angel gets its wings.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 1:00 AM

One of the gas stations at Lawrence and Ashland just closed. The gas pumps were removed. I wonder if that station will be gone, or if it going to be a remodel.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baronvonellis View Post
One of the gas stations at Lawrence and Ashland just closed. The gas pumps were removed. I wonder if that station will be gone, or if it going to be a remodel.
It's been talked about a few times here, but it will be a new 39 unit building with retail.

https://www.buzzbuzzhome.com/us/1535-w-lawrence-avenue

By the way, the permit for this was issued in December 2018. It's on my permit map for new construction in my signature.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 3:07 PM

Quote:
If memory serves, this is under construction (and almost finished).

Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 3:14 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
It's been talked about a few times here, but it will be a new 39 unit building with retail.

https://www.buzzbuzzhome.com/us/1535-w-lawrence-avenue

By the way, the permit for this was issued in December 2018. It's on my permit map for new construction in my signature.
that project is already well underway and nearly done.

Baronvonellis must be talking about one of the other gas stations at that intersections, either the shell on the NW corner or the mobil on the NE corner.

it would be fantastic if another one of them is getting redeveloped for something more urban, but it's probably just a remodel if this forum doesn't know anything about it already.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 3:40 PM

No I know about that one, it's almost done. I'm talking about the Mobile gas station across the street from it. It closed this week or last week, the store inside is empty and all the pumps are gone. Are there any permits for renovation there?

Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 4:24 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
No I know about that one, it's almost done. I'm talking about the Mobile gas station across the street from it. It closed this week or last week, the store inside is empty and all the pumps are gone. Are there any permits for renovation there?
hmmmmm..... that mobil station already got brand new pumps and a general spruce up several years ago when it changed from a citgo to a mobil station.

if it is just a remodel, it's interesting that they're doing it so soon after the recent upgrade of the station.

maybe it really is getting redeveloped(!!!), but i can't find anything on the city's building permit portal.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Jan 30, 2020 at 5:26 PM.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 4:32 PM

Quote:
I may not be the best and searching but I don't see any building or demo permits for this address? Most recent I see is a permit to change the sign from Citgo to Mobile a couple of years ago....

I would love if this is getting developed but I imagine something else is going on here, there's nothing on the alderman's development site either.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 4:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post

If you haven't clicked on the link Sentinel provided, do so now. It looks AMAZING. What a change and how transformational! I am so happy with this outcome.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
hmmmmm..... that mobil station already got brand new pumps and a general spruce up several years ago when it changed from a citgo to a mobil station.

if it is just a remodel, it's interesting that they're doing it so soon after the recent upgrade of the station.

maybe it really is getting redeveloped(!!!), but i can't find anything on the city's building permit portal.
Hmm, yeah that would be odd if they just did a remodel a few years ago. I hope they tear it down. Gas at that corner is always 30 cents higher than anywhere else nearby for some reason. So I would always avoid those stations.
I hope something better is going up there.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 9:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodrow View Post
If you haven't clicked on the link Sentinel provided, do so now. It looks AMAZING. What a change and how transformational! I am so happy with this outcome.
The article mentions that they are tearing out everything except the old operating theaters. Hopefully there is a cool adaptive reuse in the works for those.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 9:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrelfish View Post
The article mentions that they are tearing out everything except the old operating theaters. Hopefully there is a cool adaptive reuse in the works for those.
I'd assume they want to preserve them since you don't see those kind of rooms anymore

Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 9:33 PM

Bender Tower

Unintentional beacon by urbsinhorto1837, on Flickr

Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 9:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post

I was lucky to get a tour a few months ago. Something interesting is that they are just walling off many of (creepy) old surgery theaters rather than re purpose them. Might have made good space for corporate presentations and whatnot.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 10:50 PM

So impressed with the crown of one bennett. Still hoping we get more crowns out of this booms towers finishing up/still coming.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handro View Post
I was lucky to get a tour a few months ago. Something interesting is that they are just walling off many of (creepy) old surgery theaters rather than re purpose them. Might have made good space for corporate presentations and whatnot.
Yep. Saw that too. They said the steep stairs proved too difficult to make it a usable space. Although that doesn’t mean it couldn’t serve a unique purpose in the future, even would just be cool to look at, unrestored.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development