HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted May 8, 2021, 7:09 PM
Exhausted Drexel Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Wide View Post
That's good to hear. I was asking about population in the central business district or whatever term applies. Chicago was/is #2 and Philly was 3rd. Chicago has built a good number of tall residential stuff, but if Philly is now around 10K in a year, we won't be 3 for very long. NYC/Manhattan is divided up into several different sections.
Philly is currently #2, ahead of Chicago, according to Wikipedia.

Old Posted May 8, 2021, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayfar View Post
Possibly, but I'm thinking Giant Heirloom may occupy only the portion that was NOT used by Century 21. C21 had their awnings with signage all along the building, but didn't have an actual presence inside the eastern portion where Heirloom is expected.

Yesterday as I was zipping by on a bus, I caught a glimpse of a coming soon sign for <something, something> family department store. I regret I didn't catch the name. I'm guessing that new tenant will take up some or all of the former C21 space.

EDIT: The tenant named on the "coming soon" signage over on the western section is SHOPPERS WORLD, with the taglines "Always New, Always for LESS!" and "Your Family Department Store!" The sign appears in the window to the left of the former Century 21 Market St entrance.

Who the heck is Shoppers World? They're in several states, mostly in the mid-atlantic, but their only PA store thus far is on Aramingo Ave:

3399 Aramingo Avenue, Philadelphia, PA 19134 • (215)291-4923, (215)291-4924

COMING SOON • Fashion District Philadelphia, 821 Market Street (#1130), Philadelphia, PA 19107

Under CEO Sam Dushey, NY-based Shoppers World is in its 3rd generation of family ownership.

http://shoppersworldusa.com/aboutus.html

https://shoppersworldusa.com/store.html
Shoppers World... That sounds promising... Does Macerich even try to attract better retailers, or do retailers actually just turn their back on Philadelphia?

They can't get a Home Goods, Michael's, Crate & Barrel, Zara, Lego World, The Real Real, or any legitimate / solid retailer to fill this space?

Old Posted Yesterday, 2:12 PM
Future World Dictator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
Shoppers World... That sounds promising... Does Macerich even try to attract better retailers, or do retailers actually just turn their back on Philadelphia?

They can't get a Home Goods, Michael's, Crate & Barrel, Zara, Lego World, The Real Real, or any legitimate / solid retailer to fill this space?
Believe me, people are trying but retailers just aren't interested in expanding right now. Hardly Philly specific either.

Old Posted Yesterday, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamrobk View Post
Believe me, people are trying but retailers just aren't interested in expanding right now. Hardly Philly specific either.
Eh, they weren't exactly flocking to Philadelphia before the pandemic either. At large, sure retail is struggling, but zooming in, Philadelphia is definitely not in the minds of many retailers, (for many reasons). But I hope in the coming years with all the new construction, the city will see a surge in commercial (and restaurant) activity. It would be nice to steal some thunder from KoP or Cherry Hill.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development