HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Nov 20, 2020, 8:41 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

This looks like it has to go through a whole slew of approvals prior, including ULURP and the Landmarks commission, and zoning amendments, so its going to be a process. Hopefully the Landmarks commission doesn't give it too much flack.

I expect a ton of incentives for the public on the developers end to get approval.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2020, 8:56 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Whatever the design may be, its going to make 1 Vandy look impotent in comparison. It won't be the height per say but the thickness of this tower which will make all the difference via the skyline, even from a far.

Time will tell, but a lot of potential with this site.

And just one site of many that offers great super tall potential.
The Greatest City in the World!

Old Posted Nov 20, 2020, 9:40 PM

I actually don't mind the shape of the zoning massing lol. I know its illustrative but there aren't many towers that look like that.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2020, 10:05 PM
New Yorker for life

The build year is just the year for analysis, by which all actions should be complete. I haven't gotten to any start years, but take into account the Grand Hyatt was supposed to close in 2022. Then add a year or so for demo, a tower of this size could take a few years to build.

But I have skimmed a bit more, and I can tell you, aside from a new skyline defining tower, my eyes were on what they were going to do with Grand Central. This tower, more so than any of the others, is a direct wing of the building. So it's exciting to see that they are adding skylights to a newly rebuilt 42nd St passage, and a rebuilt with higher ceilings Lexington passage. I wanted skylights there too, but I'll take it.

The publuc outdoor space, called the Chrysler Terrace, will be on the second floor overlooking Lexington. It will be similar to the terrace at Vanderbilt, only for the public. There seems to be another terrace on the east side, probably from the hotel.

There will be multiple subway improvements, both here and at the Bryant Park station.

So good things in store.

Quote:
This looks like it has to go through a whole slew of approvals prior, including ULURP and the Landmarks commission, and zoning amendments, so its going to be a process. Hopefully the Landmarks commission doesn't give it too much flack.

I expect a ton of incentives for the public on the developers end to get approval.

The approvals really won't be such a big thing because most if what they are applying for are long awaited improvements. This is also undergoing state review (like 343 Madison, it's MTA property).

Let me add this, the hotel will be located at the top of the tower. I get the sense that KPF is also the firm designing the tower.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by NYguy; Nov 20, 2020 at 10:25 PM.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2020, 2:55 AM
New Yorker for life

A little more info on the proposal...

Looks like the tower will take a year and a half of demo, followed by four years of construction.
A roughly 2028 completion year would put it in the range of 350 Park Avenue.

Actions needed for development...

Within the Grand Central footprint...

Second floor plan, with the outdoor space...

Some of the public improvements....

A nearly 3 msf tower, which is on par with the largest Hudson Yards towers...

The public space, called the "Chrysler Terrace"...

Rough comparison...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by NYguy; Nov 21, 2020 at 5:17 AM.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2020, 11:31 AM
BANNED

I am OVERWHELMED!!! NYC!!!!

Old Posted Nov 21, 2020, 2:00 PM

Here the new Grand Hyatt Tower.

So NYguy what do you think of the new project. Does it satisfy you? Was it how you imagined it? What do you dislike about this project?

Old Posted Nov 21, 2020, 2:28 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky88 View Post
Here the new Grand Hyatt Tower.

So NYguy what do you think of the new project. Does it satisfy you? Was it how you imagined it? What do you dislike about this project?

I am pleased, and there is a lot to be pleased about. The height is about what I said would be needed, so there is as much a difference in height as there is between Vanderbilt and Chrysler, sort of a spiraling effect, and not a plateau like we have been nearing. I thought there would be some sort of spire, but this building tapers to the point that it will be of similar effect, though not as sharp as 53w53. It will have a slender east/west profile. Not too overwhelming for Chrysler.

I am beyond pleased with the improvements to Grand Central, one of my favorite buildings in the city.

I am pleased that they are building old school, meaning in the heart of an established city (not just building a giant tower, with the city to come later).

I look forward to the design details. We still haven't seen that, but I'm sure the touches will be nice.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2020, 2:48 PM

The flat top screams outside observation deck to me. The hotel is on the upper floors so hopefully an observation deck is more than possible.

1V facade is an example of old and new, so I expect this tower will go even further. I just hope the color scheme is more traditional than modern. If not I don't expect the owners of Grand Central to be best pleased with a blue glassed monolith on their door step.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2020, 2:54 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

1,646-Foot-Tall Project Commodore Revealed, New York City’s Possible New Tallest Building By Roof Height, In Midtown East

Quote:
An Environmental Assessment Statement for 109 East 42nd Street in Midtown East reveals details for the proposed Project Commodore, a 1,646-foot-tall skyscraper on the site currently occupied by Grand Hyatt New York. Developed under the Commodore Owner LLC by RXR Realty and TF Cornerstone, the mixed-use supertall is designed by Skidmore, Owings & Merrill. Components include 2,108,820 square feet of office space, a smaller 500-room Grand Hyatt hotel, approximately 10,000 square feet open-air publicly accessible space, and 43,370 square feet of retail including some controlled by the MTA on the cellar, ground, and second floors.

Sitting directly east of Grand Central Terminal in the center of the Midtown East rezoning initiative, the 89-story building will yield a total of 2,976,740 square feet.

The ground floor would contain the hotel lobby and office lobby, a reconstructed Lexington Passage with MTA retail, 6,350 square feet of transit hall space, and approximately 2,400 square feet of additional area for subway entries off 42nd Street and Lexington Avenue. The hotel lobby would have frontage on Lexington Avenue, with the office lobby accessed from East 42nd Street. An office lobby and open-air publicly accessible space occupy the second floor with frontage on Lexington Avenue. Office space is planned to be located on floors 7-63, and the hotel on floors 65-83.

The next step for the project is a public scoping meeting, which will be held on Monday, December 21, 2020. If the development is ultimately approved, timeline details include 18 months of demolition and 47 months of construction. The expected completion date for Project Commodore is 2030.
===================
NYY

Old Posted Nov 21, 2020, 3:14 PM

With the new information, I am more excited about this project than I was yesterday: "build year" means completion year, not construction year, and the height is "approximately" 1646 ft, not "up to", since the latter could end up being only, say, 1300 ft.

Hopefully it will be approved, and Grand Hyatt will secure the funding needed.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2020, 3:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
I am pleased, and there is a lot to be pleased about. The height is about what I said would be needed, so there is as much a difference in height as there is between Vanderbilt and Chrysler, sort of a spiraling effect, and not a plateau like we have been nearing. I thought there would be some sort of spire, but this building tapers to the point that it will be of similar effect, though not as sharp as 53w53. It will have a slender east/west profile. Not too overwhelming for Chrysler.

I am beyond pleased with the improvements to Grand Central, one of my favorite buildings in the city.

I am pleased that they are building old school, meaning in the heart of an established city (not just building a giant tower, with the city to come later).

I look forward to the design details. We still haven't seen that, but I'm sure the touches will be nice.
Thanks for the reply. I remembered that you mentioned something about the coil. In any case I agree with you on the tower. I really like this project. Finally a 500m tower in NY.

In your opinion, would we witness an evolution of the design similar to that of the 270 Park Ave tower which has gone from the first drawings, those of NO-Action and With-Action up to the final version?

Who knows what Harry B. Macklowe will say now? Maybe ... "My tower will be higher".

Old Posted Nov 21, 2020, 4:55 PM
BANNED

I hope that someone can add this to the NYC diagram.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2020, 5:15 PM

21st century Terminal City.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2020, 5:47 PM

I am so happy finaly new York city gets a 500m roof height building , i hope peen station will give us a 630m tower
Its about time to looking down to the empire state building
With grand hyatt and tower fifth and cpt , esb will lose domination in midtown of manhattan .

Old Posted Nov 21, 2020, 5:48 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianowizard View Post
With the new information, I am more excited about this project than I was yesterday: "build year" means completion year, not construction year, and the height is "approximately" 1646 ft, not "up to", since the latter could end up being only, say, 1300 ft.

Hopefully it will be approved, and Grand Hyatt will secure the funding needed.
While I'd want this to reach the max potential under the zoning, just suppose down the line its 1200 or even like 1300, below 1 Vandy, its still a win-win compared to what's there now.

But we'll see. One component, given its mixed-used, is the hotel portion, which pandemic aside, by the time this is completed, should be very strong (demand). Office... plenty of time to ascertain tenants.

If with action or with no action, still a solid replacement I'd imagine.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2020, 5:49 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by faridnyc View Post
I am so happy finaly new York city gets a 500m roof height building , i hope peen station will give us a 630m tower
Its about time to looking down to the empire state building
With grand hyatt and tower fifth and cpt , esb will lose domination in midtown of manhattan .
Yeah its only a matter of time. With other parcels within Midtown East, under the rezoning envelope, and yeah, Penn Station district, we are bound to AT A MINIMUM get several new super talls. At a minimum, crossing the 300m threshold.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2020, 5:50 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMKeynes View Post
Only in NY!!!
They keep saying NY is dead... all I see is NY growing and blooming.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2020, 6:14 PM
BANNED

Quote:
They keep saying NY is dead... all I see is NY growing and blooming.
I agree, Chris.

Morons say that.

NY is the best city in America by far.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2020, 6:19 PM

This building will rise above the tip of the empire state building by approximately 60m huge impact in the skyline !!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals