HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Oct 13, 2020, 4:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy de la Sucre View Post
Super, man you living in Trump Tower? That's not the place that someone could just make a simple decision and then leisurely move in, it requires real fund, not some cash bills in wallet but real fund. I guess, let me guess for 3000 CAD per month at least.
Yes, we lived there for 5 months while looking for a new apartment. I remember the rent having been $3500/month for a 1 bedroom furnished apartment on the 32nd floor, so definitely not cheap but not completely outrageous considering the amenities and the location.

The building is going to be re-branded as the hotel announced closing down following COVID, so it is unclear who the new hotel operator will be.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2020, 8:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
Yes, we lived there for 5 months while looking for a new apartment. I remember the rent having been $3500/month for a 1 bedroom furnished apartment on the 32nd floor, so definitely not cheap but not completely outrageous considering the amenities and the location.

The building is going to be re-branded as the hotel announced closing down following COVID, so it is unclear who the new hotel operator will be.
Oh my, I never knew until today at this moment...I thought it was gonna last forever...quote Aug 29, 2020 · The Trump International Hotel in Vancouver has closed permanently just three years after opening, and the management company that owns it has filed for bankruptcy.

I was gonna plan to take kids there in the future to show em as a good example for what an over-priced fancy hotel would look like, but,

Old Posted Oct 18, 2020, 10:42 PM

Many overlook visiting Gulf Islands although they are only an one-hour sailing away from the Lower Mainland. In this first posting we visited Galiano Island few years ago.

Departing from Tsawwassen Ferry Terminal on Friday evening.

Gulf Islands are located halfway to Victoria and they also have a lot of inter-island ferry traffic.

Salish Raven is a new BC Ferries ferry that took over this connection in 2016.

Sturdies Bay is the terminal on Galiano Island.

Only 1044 people live on Galiano Island making it one of the least populated of the Gulf Islands.

Our lunch restaurant had some magazines from 80s and one of them had this legendary ad on it. Those were the times.

Every Saturday afternoon there is a popular Farmer's Market in town.

It is really bizarre to be on an island and still be able to see Metro Vancouver high-rises in the distance across Strait of Georgia.

There are not many places to stay on Galiano Island and Montague Bay Marine Provincial Park is a really nice campground.

There are some nice sunset to be had on a nearby beach.

Galiano Island has a real hidden gem, a restaurant called Pilgrimme. The chef has previously worked at the famous Noma restaurant in Copenhagen and their farm-to-table food is both excellent and inexpensive!

It's a small restaurant in an ordinary residential building in middle of forest. Perfect!

Food needs no words.

There is some great hiking on Galiano Island, like the trail up Bodega Ridge.

Another great trail is up the tallest point on the island, the 314-meters high Mount Galiano.

It's a beautiful view from the top.

Active Pass is the name of the fast-moving body of water separating Galiano from Mayne Island. Many ferry routes go through there, making it a ferry spotters' paradise.

Galiano Island was a nice and slow-paced locale to visit and we look forward to visiting other Gulf Islands in the future!

Last edited by Klazu; Feb 6, 2021 at 2:22 AM.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2020, 1:05 AM
DownTowner

Beautiful! I love BC's Nordic-boreal-forest-meets-the-Pacific aesthetic.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Oct 23, 2020, 2:39 AM

Last update to our summer vacation in the Northern BC.

After spending few great days in the Terrace area, it began to be time to head back home. Before embarking on the long trip home, there was still one more place to check out...

From Terrace it is possible to head in all four directions and the less-traveled road heading north is known as Nisga'a Highway .

Nisga'a Valley is the place of the worst natural catastrophe in the Canadian history. Over 2,000 people are estimated having perished in the violent eruption of Tseax Cone cinder volcano which flooded the entire valley under metres of fast-moving molten rock.

The eruption is estimated to having taken place on year 1700 and likely had a connection to the Cascadian Megaquake of the same year. Since Europeans had not yet reached these remote parts of North America, the events of that time are only described in First Nations stories.

Even 320 years later the lava fields are still expanding the entire valley floor.

After the lava fields the highway turns into a forest service road. Should we have known better, we would have turned around and driven the long way back, as this is a very remote gravel road with lots and lots of potholes and bears everywhere.

It was a long and slow 55-kilometre drive to Stewart-Cassiar Highway 37, but fortunately our old car could take the beating.

We came to be very close to the Alaskan border and southernmost Alaskan town of Hyder, but due to the weather and border being closed due to COVID-19, we didn't visit this time. Next time we will surely make a visit to our northern neighbor!

World's largest fly rod in Houston. Everything's bigger in Tex... Northern British Columbia.

We decided to expedite our return to home and only made one stop in Prince George for the night.

Even the road back home is long and mostly through wilderness.

Reaching Fraser Canyon things started to feel like home.

The closer to Vancouver we got, the busier the traffic became. And as we were returning from our summer vacation, most people were only heading out for theirs, as the Canada Day long weekend was upon everyone.

So, altogether our small trip up north ended up being 3,400 kilometres in length which was a lot of driving in only 7 days. I wish the weather would have been a bit better and COVID wouldn't have had so many of the attractions closed, but it was still amazing to see yet another beautiful and lesser known corner of our home province!

Next time we wish to continue heading further north, where the nature will only get wilder! I hope you enjoyed my trip report.

Last edited by Klazu; Feb 6, 2021 at 2:22 AM.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2020, 6:37 PM

Brisk weather last Saturday made for a chance to enjoy a walk along the Stanley Park Seawall.

The cold snap had first snow fall on North Shore Mountains which has since then melted.

Nine o'clock gun.

In summer Seawall is normally packed during the weekends but it's a different world in autumn.

Coal Harbour skyline.

Stanley Park totem poles were surrounded by fall colors.

Last edited by Klazu; Feb 6, 2021 at 2:21 AM.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2020, 4:17 AM

COVID has been ruining everything this year, but Halloween still looked fun in Vancouver's Mount Pleasant neighborhood.

Self-made candy chutes were a popular solution this year.

Streets in the Mount Pleasant look wonderful in every Autumn.

Local residents had put up a street party that I am sure was a hoot later in the night.

Beautiful fall colors.

Last edited by Klazu; Feb 6, 2021 at 2:21 AM.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2020, 1:41 AM

It's good because Vancouver has so much to explore...imagine if you were in ...let say Boise... still that much to explore?

Old Posted Nov 7, 2020, 1:49 AM

Few Vancouverites know about an island in the Fraser River that can only be accessed by taking the last river ferry in the Lower Mainland. Welcome to Barnston Island!

Only access to the island is with a small ferry from Surrey.

The ferry is free-of-charge and for most people it doesn't make sense to take your car across (there is free parking on Surrey side).

While technically a ferry, one could also call it a barge pushed around by a small tugboat.

It's only a short 5-minute ride across.

There is only one road on the island and it is almost exactly 10 kilometres around the entire thing.

Only around one hundred people permanently live on the island which is mostly farm land.

There is a tiny park at the northern tip of the island. Fraser River flows slowly around the island.

Golden Ears Mountain (1716m | 5630ft) across the river in Maple Ridge.

At the southern end of the island the 6-lane Golden Ears Bridge fills the view. The bridge opened to traffic in 2009 and it connects Maple Ridge and Pitt Meadows with Surrey.

Last edited by Klazu; Feb 6, 2021 at 2:20 AM.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2020, 12:30 AM

Mount Strachan is one of the tallest peaks of the North Shore Mountains and makes for a nice day hike.

Starting from Cypress Mountain parking lot, Bowen Lookout is a nice stop and a viewpoint to get you in the spirit.

First leg along the well-maintained Howe Sound Crest Trail is an easy walk in the park.

Gradually the trail gets tougher as it starts climbing up the mountain side.

View gets better and better the higher you get.

Getting up is not a problem in winter as this is where the top chair lift takes you.

Finally up on the top!

The famous "lion ears".

Howe Sound is a beautiful sight.

Heading back there is an old airplane accident site from 1963 along the trail. In this accident two Royal Canadian Airforce pilots crashed a T-33 Jet on the Mount Strachan. The wreck was never been removed and is still in the forest.

While walking down we heard some noises from a nearby tree and saw two black bear cubs climbing up the tree. The mama bear was not far and came into sight after we had passed the area.

It was a nice and beautiful hike and offered interestingly different views from winter when everything is covered under thick snow.

Last edited by Klazu; Feb 6, 2021 at 2:20 AM.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2020, 6:35 PM

BC is so incredibly gorgeous. Surprised the land hasn't reclaimed much of that airplane wreckage.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2020, 1:20 AM

One of our annual Christmas traditions is to tour different Christmas light shows in Metro Vancouver and last December wasn't any different.

Our first stop was Burnaby Village Museum here in Burnaby, which is a nice 1920s museum village that is decorated every year for Christmas.

The place was busy and a Christmas caroling choir made the atmosphere nice and relaxed.

Oddly enough, we have never visited the museum itself and definitely plan on returning to check it out, as it looks very interesting with a lot to see!

Next stop on our tour was a well-known Christmas light house at 8222 Burnlake Drive near Burnaby Lake area. This home gets decorated almost every year in a beautiful way.

Another private home we wanted to check out was 4187 Williams Street nearby Brentwood where the owner had put up rather tasteful Chrismas lights that lit the entire street block.

Our final stop of the night was in North Vancouver where we have never notice Park & Tilford Gardens at Tilford mall. This small park is tucked away from sight and had some wonderful Christmas lights that are put up by the local firefighters.

All in all, it was another great tour of some beautiful decorations. Seeing these houses really helps getting to the Christmas spirit and I love taking photos of the thousands of lights!

Last edited by Klazu; Feb 6, 2021 at 2:19 AM.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2020, 8:30 AM

Why you have so many X3s in different colors and it makes me want to buy an X3 myself as I am driving a 2013 X1 now.

Don't know what else to ask but, is X3 an all right car in general from all aspects?

Cannot afford X5 and above, FYI

Old Posted Dec 14, 2020, 2:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy de la Sucre View Post
Why you have so many X3s in different colors and it makes me want to buy an X3 myself as I am driving a 2013 X1 now. Don't know what else to ask but, is X3 an all right car in general from all aspects?
I only drive one car, a brand new 2021 BMW X3M Competition. I used to drive a 2017 X1 but changed cars in September. It's a great high-performance car.

Last edited by Klazu; Feb 6, 2021 at 2:18 AM.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2020, 3:00 AM

Winter is rainy in Vancouver but when the sun comes out, winter days can be pretty amazing.

Downtown Vancouver shrouded in morning fog.

Brentwood looks great in the morning with fresh snow on the mountains.

Lougheed is also starting to have a nice skyline.

Finally, Surrey skyline.

Last edited by Klazu; Feb 6, 2021 at 2:18 AM.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2021, 10:00 PM

Vancouver Aquarium is currently closed due to COVID-19, but it was a nice place to visit for the first time few years ago. I hope they can re-open soon again.

At the time there was a special exhibition showing marine animals in an unusual way.

Last edited by Klazu; Feb 6, 2021 at 2:17 AM.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2021, 1:35 AM

Family Day long weekend brought a cold snap on the west coast and snow cover all of Metro Vancouver for the second time this winter.

With the fresh weather we went walking in New Westminster's Queen's Park.

This large park is popular with many families and the weather was perfect for having fun in the snow.

On Sunday it was snowing even harder as we went for another walk around Central Park here in Burnaby.

Old and new towers in the Metrotown area.

The final tower of the massive Station Square complex is going to be soon topped out.

The brief snow we got will be gone in next few days as the weather has again turned to seasonal warmer temperatures.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2021, 4:18 AM

Summer in Okanagan Valley is amazing. Here are some photos of Kelowna from few years ago.

Kelowna has a nice beachfront with some well-maintained properties.

Ogopogo is Canada's very own Loch Ness monster.

Former Kettle Valley Railway has been converted to a nice bicycle trail not too far from the city.

It's an easy ride since the route is almost flat.

There are several rail trestles to cross and some of them stand really tall.

Knox Mountain is a nice park with a spectacular lookout of downtown Kelowna.

A beautiful view awaits one up on the top.

In 2021 there are many new high-rises being built in Kelowna and the skyline should already look quite different today.

Lake Okanagan is a 135-kilometres long and very deep. Even the bridge across the lake is a floating bridge due to the depth. There is plenty of area for Ogopogo to be hiding below the surface...

Old Posted Mar 5, 2021, 4:57 PM

I really enjoy this thread.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2021, 2:27 AM

Two summers after our first trip we returned to Sunshine Coast to enjoy a warm summer weekend with our visitors.

Familiar lunch view from a restaurant in Egmont.

Old forest machinery nearby.

This was also our second visit to check out the impressive Skookumchuck Narrows. We were lucky to catch another XL tide which was this time pushing back into the inlet, which made it look very different.

Rushing tide waters create standing waves which are big enough even for surfing.

Video Link

Low tide emptied the bay next to our AirBnB.

Naturally, we had to show our visitors the renown Princess Louisa Inlet on a 5-hour boat trip.

Passing through Malibu Narrows.

Inside Princess Louisa Inlet the mountains start rising around one.

Many boaters had made the inlet their place to stay overnight.

It was a wonderful day trip to this incredibly beautiful corner of British Columbia.

Next day we decided to conquer Pender Hill nearby Madeira Park.

Another short hike that same day took us to see the Smuggler's Cove nearby Halfmoon Bay.

Our weekend was great and it was another wonderful visit to Sunshine Coast. We haven't been back since 2017 but looking at these photos, I would really love to go again!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos