HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Dec 19, 2020, 9:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
I'm always amazed when I see old pics of the river/lake. It seemed to always be an afterthought or a hindrance. Certainly not central to the city's identity, as it clearly is now.
In 1952, it wasn't a lake, it was a river and a fairly shallow river at that. There were rapids under the railroad bridge. Even though the LCRA dams had been built upstream, it could still flood. I know people used to go down to the river to fish - no idea what they caught - but for recreation, people tended to go to Zilker Park, which didn't look like a parking lot back then. Austin was a much, much more pleasant city in those days.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2020, 9:36 PM

Longhorn Dam wasn’t built until 1960 to create Town Lake.

Most of the shoreline was just scrub land

Old Posted Dec 19, 2020, 10:28 PM

I remember Town Lake during the first ten years. It was pretty barren on the banks with little mature vegetation, and most of it was still unimproved. It was definitely not the focal point of the city, and I don't think many people back then realized that one day it would become a defining feature of the city.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2020, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
I remember Town Lake during the first ten years. It was pretty barren on the banks with little mature vegetation, and most of it was still unimproved. It was definitely not the focal point of the city, and I don't think many people back then realized that one day it would become a defining feature of the city.
Lady Bird Johnson was one of the early visionaries who realized its potential and put her influence behind the drive to develop it.

I recall attending a pregame bonfire in 1962 down near the shoreline below the old auditorium- sponsored by a UT group before the A&M football game. DKR, the cheerleaders, part of the Longhorn Band, & the football team were all there along with Cactus Pryor cracking Aggie jokes atop a flatbed trailer.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2021, 6:38 AM
Meh

Last edited by KevinFromTexas; Jan 6, 2021 at 4:23 AM.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2021, 3:58 PM

I want a gilded tower so bad here lol

Old Posted Jan 6, 2021, 4:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg6544 View Post
I know people used to go down to the river to fish
people still do. i always see people fishing from the shore or out on a boat.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2021, 8:35 PM

Wink

Nm

Old Posted Jan 14, 2021, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
I've been trying to find some recordings of B93 from that era. Unfortunately I didn't record any myself. If anyone has any tape recordings of either B93 or KHFI as in either full playlist, not just call letters, sweepers and drops, please contact me. I'm specifically looking for some of the mixshows done by Martin Tha Hitman.
Hey Jdawg. I'm kinda new to this forum (only made a handful of posts about Highland / Northcross Mall), but I might have some older cassette recordings from around 1984 for both B93 and K98. I'm still going through stuff but I'll let you know if I find anything and would be happy to share the files with you. I have a YouTube channel that I post some commercial breaks / bumpers / station IDs from KVUE, the old KBVO, etc. Because of all the copyright bots I have to shave lots of the national stuff off but maybe you'll see something you like here too.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjm...seEhJN7lRQQtRQ

Old Posted Jan 15, 2021, 2:25 AM
Meh

^I just spent about 30 minutes watching those. That was fun. I remember watching a whole bunch of those shows back then. Connor Vernon, the meteorologist with Channel 7 was in one of those clips. I met him during a cub scouts trip we took when we visited Channel 7's studio. We were there while they did a broadcast.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2021, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
^I just spent about 30 minutes watching those. That was fun. I remember watching a whole bunch of those shows back then. Connor Vernon, the meteorologist with Channel 7 was in one of those clips. I met him during a cub scouts trip we took when we visited Channel 7's studio. We were there while they did a broadcast.
Glad you liked them Kevin. I've been reading older posts from this forum the past few days to catch up, and loved all your stuff, from the history of certain buildings to your awesome photos. Definitely a trip down memory lane. Highland Mall was my playground for so many years (hence my username). If you have any pics of Highland or even Northcross Mall or Barton Creek I would love to see them. I have some older ones myself that I'm hoping to have the time to scan and I'll put then in the Shopping / Mall thread.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2021, 4:57 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MallRat2020 View Post
Hey Jdawg. I'm kinda new to this forum (only made a handful of posts about Highland / Northcross Mall), but I might have some older cassette recordings from around 1984 for both B93 and K98. I'm still going through stuff but I'll let you know if I find anything and would be happy to share the files with you. I have a YouTube channel that I post some commercial breaks / bumpers / station IDs from KVUE, the old KBVO, etc. Because of all the copyright bots I have to shave lots of the national stuff off but maybe you'll see something you like here too.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjm...seEhJN7lRQQtRQ

That's awesome! I'm definitely interested as I'm still working on finding some old radio recordings. Thanks MallRat2020!

Mopacs mentioned he may have some recordings as well. I haven't forgotten and will send a PM to you sometime next week.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2021, 6:34 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by MallRat2020 View Post
Glad you liked them Kevin. I've been reading older posts from this forum the past few days to catch up, and loved all your stuff, from the history of certain buildings to your awesome photos. Definitely a trip down memory lane. Highland Mall was my playground for so many years (hence my username). If you have any pics of Highland or even Northcross Mall or Barton Creek I would love to see them. I have some older ones myself that I'm hoping to have the time to scan and I'll put then in the Shopping / Mall thread.
We didn't get up to Highland Mall or Northcross Mall too often. I think probably the only photo I'd have of Northcross Mall would be of the ice rink from a trip I took there with my aunt in the late 80s. I was scared and didn't want to skate, so the mall Santa picked me up and skated with me. I actually remember it well. I'd have to go digging for the photo(s).

Old Posted Jan 16, 2021, 6:45 AM
Meh

1983. Note the cranes for 816 Congress. This was before One American Center was up in the air, so the Bank of America Center was still the tallest then.

https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=...71090866263877

https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=...71090866263877

Old Posted Jan 17, 2021, 5:28 AM
Meh

Old Posted Jan 19, 2021, 3:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
That's awesome! I'm definitely interested as I'm still working on finding some old radio recordings. Thanks MallRat2020!

Mopacs mentioned he may have some recordings as well. I haven't forgotten and will send a PM to you sometime next week.
Hey Jdawgboy - I did find one of my old cassettes, appears to be January of 1987. I added it to my Youtube channel, link is below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPD7Oo75A5I

Now, there's nothing Earth-shattering about this recording. Like most kids we popped a tape into the boombox, hit "record" whenever the songs were on and paused the commercials. So it's mainly just music and some bumper / station IDs. No commercials, but some occasional DJ talk. No special mixes or anything, just standard mid-late 80s fare. I didn't do any editing and the tape is very old (of course) so it has that garbled sound in places. Still fun to listen to for nostalgia sake. The copyright bots are all over it so I don't know how long it will stay up, but it's fun anyway. Hope you enjoy!

Old Posted Jan 19, 2021, 3:32 PM

Kevin I love all those photos, great stuff !!!

Old Posted Jan 28, 2021, 3:16 AM
Meh

Commodore Perry Hotel - 1950. The construction on the left is of the Perry Brooks Building.

https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=...95798237126473

Old Posted Jan 28, 2021, 2:56 PM

[QUOTE=KevinFromTexas;9172821]Commodore Perry Hotel - 1950. The construction on the left is of the Perry Brooks Building.

Holy crap! - what's with that tall, wooden scaffolding thing?

Old Posted Jan 28, 2021, 3:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Commodore Perry Hotel - 1950. The construction on the left is of the Perry Brooks Building.

https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=...95798237126473
Interesting that this is still around -- in the form of Brazos Place Condos. Although I can't say the change in paint to light blue was that great of a choice...This was originally more of a limestone color, no?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin