HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Aug 21, 2019, 3:23 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZH22 View Post
I would put it above the Boston skyline because of the incredible towers at the top of the heap, and a great set of stately pre-war towers to boot. Boston can't compete with either of those, although the Boston skyline is still more expansive overall and actually wins every height comparison for each city's respective 13th through 50th tallest buildings. Again, Philadelphia still wins because it's just SO TALL and dense and the entirety of Center City is slammed together and presented in all its glory.
There's simply no comparison. Philadelphia's skyline is far superior to that of Boston. They shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2019, 4:32 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
Don't feed the troll
I'm a troll because I recognize that Pittsburgh is not the East Coast, lies west of the Appalachians, located in a state that is not on the Atlantic Coast? Alrighty dude - man.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2019, 4:41 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt View Post
located in a state that is not on the Atlantic Coast?
Breaking News: so is Philly.

So I guess now, by your brilliant logic, Philly isn't an East Coast city, either.

Cool story.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2019, 6:03 AM
Rundberg & I35

1.NYC
2.Chicago
3.San Francisco
4.PHI
5.Los Angeles
6.Houston
7.Miami
8.Seattle
9.Atlanta
10.Dallas
11.Minneapolis
12.Honolulu
13.Boston
14.Pittsburgh
15.Austin
16.Charlotte
17.Detroit
18.Nashville
19.San Diego
20.Cleveland

191.Jacksonville

Old Posted Aug 21, 2019, 1:10 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYNYC View Post
Breaking News: so is Philly.

So I guess now, by your brilliant logic, Philly isn't an East Coast city, either.

Cool story.
^That's a great way to twist things. I'm saying that cities in states that lie on the Atlantic seaboard are east coast and you're saying Pittsburgh is East Coast. That doesn't mean that Philly is not East Coast, nor did anybody say so. Get it?

Old Posted Aug 21, 2019, 1:28 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
CONGRATULATIONS!

You successfully scoured the Internet to find literally the worst possible angle/photo of the Houston skyline I've ever seen in my life to justify your point.

Blame the picture if you want, or pan around on Google Maps and see for yourself:

https://goo.gl/maps/t577nFWC5iF2swcN6
https://goo.gl/maps/63x22yL1njsXrGKz9

Old Posted Aug 21, 2019, 1:51 PM

Quote:
CONGRATULATIONS!

You successfully scoured the Internet to find literally the worst possible angle/photo of the Houston skyline I've ever seen in my life to justify your point.
That's actually the only angle that has consistent midrise build-up without city block-sized parking lots. He was justifying putting LA over Houston because of depth and density outside of just the primary towers and so you would expect him to use a picture from the South that shows primarily parking lots in the foreground?

Old Posted Aug 21, 2019, 2:46 PM
BANNED

Quote:
^That's a great way to twist things.
You literally stated that Pittsburgh is not an East Coast city because it is "located in a state that is not on the Atlantic Coast".

Then, I pointed out that Philly is also located in "a state that is not on the Atlantic Coast" - a state that just so happens to be THE SAME F*CKING STATE THAT "NON-EAST COAST" PITTSBURGH IS IN.

What, exactly, am I "twisting"?

Quote:
I'm saying that cities in states that lie on the Atlantic seaboard are east coast and you're saying Pittsburgh is East Coast.
You do realize that Pittsburgh and Philly are both in Pennsylvania, right?

And since the criteria YOU established stated that cities located in a state that is not on the Atlantic Coast, are "not East Coast", then that would mean Philly can't be "East Coast" either. You can't have it both ways.

Quote:
That doesn't mean that Philly is not East Coast, nor did anybody say so. Get it?
So on one hand you declare Atlanta and Charlotte - two cities that are not located remotely near the Atlantic are "East Coast" (presumably based on the fact that their respective states touch the Atlantic), nor do either of those cities have an "East Coast" feel, yet Pittsburgh is "not East Coast". Care to explain your Atlanta and Charlotte designations?

Let me guess - according to your brilliant logic, Roanoke, VA (which is essentially as far away from the Atlantic Ocean as Pittsburgh is) is "East Coast" because VA is on the Atlantic Coast. Right?

Old Posted Aug 21, 2019, 2:59 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
Blame the picture if you want, or pan around on Google Maps and see for yourself:

Don't need to.

I've lived in Los Angeles. I've lived in Houston. I continue to visit both cities regularly.

There is simply no way to justify the Los Angeles skyline ranking 6 spots ahead of the Houston skyline. Sure, L.A. has had more (and better) recent tower additions in the last 10 years than Houston has, but it desperately needed them. The skyline looked anemic for a city of L.A.'s size until back around 2008-09 when the JW Marriott/Ritz Carlton began to take shape. And although Library Tower (sorry - I don't factor the toothpick on the side of Wilshire Grand into its overall height) gives L.A. a 15 foot edge over JPMorgan Chase tower in Houston, Houston still has more height overall. Have you ever viewed the Houston skyline driving south on I-45 into the city? It has a massive feel that I've never experienced in L.A., from ANY angle.

The case could be made that the L.A. skyline wins (slightly) based on recent additions and what's proposed. But to rank it 6 spots above Houston's? I'm not buying it, no matter what kind of "depth" or "mid-rise density" or "heft" case one tries to make.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2019, 3:08 PM
All man. Half nuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_denizen View Post
Ive never actually seen an aerial of Milwaukee showing, you know, the rest of the city besides downtown and the immediate waterfront.

I've got some stashed away. here are a few.

this is an older one, but still gives a good idea of how the CBD actually stretches away from the lakefront, which is why the views from the lake are not very impressive.

another dated one, but shows a little more density (doesn't include the NW tower--it was under construction at the time of this shot):

Old Posted Aug 21, 2019, 3:21 PM
All man. Half nuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
of course, but here in the flatlands of the midwest, we feel the need to elevate such otherwise anonymous and forgettable landscape features to the status of "mountain".

i'm not joking, people in wisconsin really do call that modest little lump of granite in north central wisconsin pictured above a "mountain".

one of the more hilarious aspects about this region of the midwest is that illinois is somehow way more unrelentingly flat than even wisconsin, so among other pejoratives that the sconies like to hurl at us illinoisians (like the more well-known "FIB"), those silly cheeseheads actually have the gall to also refer to us as "flatlanders", as though they were living in the swiss fucking alps or something.

here's an even nicer view of Rib Mountain. there's NO truth that it was named Rib Mountain because people hurt their ribs laughing when they saw it for the first time.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2019, 3:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post

Yea, I don't buy the Houston skyline better than LA at all. Maybe 5-10 years ago or something. And I don't see Houston catching up anymore either.
LA just has way too much proposed in the next 5-10 years. South Park alone will have a awesome skyline.

Six spots ahead? No. But I think people will be surprised what downtown LA could look like by 2028 or so. In two years, there will be a stretch of 500 footers from 2nd street all the way to Pico.

Last edited by LA21st; Aug 21, 2019 at 3:38 PM.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2019, 3:34 PM

Milwaukee looks really nice.

Makes me miss living in a city on the Atlantic coast/Great Lakes.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2019, 3:50 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
Yea, I don't buy the Houston skyline better than LA at all.
Who said it was? I didn't, although one could certainly argue that it is, or is at least on par.

Plus, you LIVE in L.A. Biased, much?

Quote:
LA just has way too much proposed in the next 5-10 years. South Park alone will have a awesome skyline.
Cool story. Good for L.A. and South Park. But the #4 (L.A.)/#10 (Houston) ranking we're talking about was based on what the L.A. skyline and Houston skyline looks like today, in 2019.

Quote:
Six spots ahead? No.
The OP sounds comically uninformed/unaware by suggesting such.

Quote:
But I think people will be surprised what downtown LA could look like by 2028 or so. In two years, there will be a stretch of 500 footers from 2nd street all the way to Pico.
Looking forward to seeing this ^.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2019, 3:54 PM

No more biased than Texans are about their cities over the years here.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2019, 4:05 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Or Chicagoans, or New Yorkers, or Bostonians - the list goes on.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2019, 4:07 PM

Quote:
Very few skyline views are as breathtaking as LA's against the background of the snow-covered mountains after a winter storm.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2019, 4:12 PM

Quote:
Or Chicagoans, or New Yorkers, or Bostonians - the list goes on.
True. Every city does.
I actually care more LA adding vibrancy to it's streets than highrises anyway. My favorite street is Spring, in the historic core. It's so different than what it was 15 years ago. Even with the new lofts back then, it felt kind of sad or empty. Now, it's great.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2019, 4:13 PM
An Optimistic Realist

I would put Houston above LA right now in terms of multiple skyline and mass. LA is still on Atlanta's level, but if those proposals come through, it will be better than all US cities not named NYC or Chicago, and future Miami.

I also agree that Boston needs to step up.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2019, 4:34 PM

Some post earlier noted that this thread is about skylines and no points for other (not tall) built form/urbanity/density.

I think Boston deserves a SSP "golden buzzer" even without building tall.

Depending on where u point ur camera, midrise density is part of a skyline shot. And that density speaks to human scale urbanity more than 'scrapers.

As for the Houston vs. L.A. argument... it's kinda an engineering miracle that L.A. has a (growing) impressive skyline, sitting in an earthquake zone (scary).

From most angles Houston looks pretty much the same, decades later imo.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions