HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 2:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittsburghPA View Post
They are calling the SF Tower crown a "Video Wall" which is essentially just a screen covered in LED's but the tests they ran were fantastic.
For anyone curious--
Video Link

Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 2:33 AM

That is a great tower. Thanks for the video. Reminds me of something out of Minority Report.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 2:39 AM

I like it. Reminds me of something they'd put in Shanghai.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 3:03 AM
The City

Wow, that video wall on Salesforce Tower in SF is nice.

I don’t think it’s would be hard to solve with just proper language.

The video wall must be artistic and not commercial in nature. No advertising, no rapidly flashing or alternating lights, with the city having the right to have a certain type of display removed if it is believed to be in violation of this policy.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 3:05 AM

If they want to put a "video wall" like that at the top of this, then yep - go right ahead. Would look interesting next to the "Art on the Mart" too.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 3:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
I like it. Reminds me of something they'd put in Shanghai.
Agree 100%. The Chinese have been doing LED displays on their buildings for years. Some are tacky but Shanghai Tower for instance I feel is very well done.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 3:09 AM

I know it's a long shot, but we've heard OCS starts Q1 2019. 400 LSD, 1000M and Trib 2 are supposed to start sometime in 2019. NEMA2 is a ? 110 Wacker, WPE, Vista, and NEMA are all working as we speak and will continue next year. If all of these projects get off the ground next year (and are completed), would this be the biggest year for Chicago construction of all time?

Regardless, what a time to be alive!

Last edited by RedCorsair87; Aug 23, 2018 at 9:14 AM.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 3:17 AM

Quote:
Agree 100%. The Chinese have been doing LED displays on their buildings for years. Some are tacky but Shanghai Tower for instance I feel is very well done.
In real life, seeing what Shanghai does is pretty sweet. I do not like advertisements like Times Square, but stuff like this is good.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 3:31 AM

Quote:
In real life, seeing what Shanghai does is pretty sweet. I do not like advertisements like Times Square, but stuff like this is good.
That is one city I absolutely would love to visit and I intend to. I don't think Chicago should turn into Shanghai (lighting display wise) but I do think our skyline could improve on that front.

Sears tower new antenna LED light show is a good start!

Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 4:00 AM
THAT Guy

Salesforce has a history with video walls:
Video Link

Video Link

Video Link

Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 4:10 AM

Quote:
That is one city I absolutely would love to visit and I intend to. I don't think Chicago should turn into Shanghai (lighting display wise) but I do think our skyline could improve on that front.

Sears tower new antenna LED light show is a good start!
You should visit. Shanghai is pretty good - so is Hanghzhou (2 or so hour drive from Shanghai - maybe less by a high speed train. Beautiful city). Anyway, some of the buildings there are impressive in Pudong, but most of the crazy buildings I saw weren't those ones. They were elsewhere in the city and stuff I've never seen pictures of really. The city isn't as crazy high rise oriented as you might think or as dense as you might think. Chicago and Shanghai share in common the fact that they love to tear down old buildings and replace them with new nicer shiny ones. Also, Shanghai in some parts is really green and lush. Very clean city - much cleaner than Beijing.

What also surprises people is that there's legitimate 19th century European buildings there built by Europeans that look like they should be in Europe (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MidS41PQ6O8 or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m61Cdrf6a5M)

But anyway LOL it would be nice to see this..

Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 4:38 AM

Quote:
Yeah sure, you can argue about this type of thing, but $10M in tax abatement works out better than what people are throwing to HQ2 in terms of tax breaks.

It's only a matter of time before that parcel gets developed so why waste an incentive trying to entice a party to do what some party (this one or another one down the line) will likely do anyway? There's leverage here both with the developer (who is 2/3rds of the way into developing the property) and the company (who is looking for contiguous office space in a market with very few options) who is not just looking at this parcel but at others in the city.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 4:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCorsair87 View Post
I know it's a long shot, but we've heard OCS starts Q1 2019. 400 LSD, 1000M and Trib 2 are supposed to start sometime in 2019. NEMA2 is a ? 110 Wacker, OPE, Vista, and NEMA are all working as we speak and will continue next year. If all of these projects get off the ground next year (and are completed), would this be the biggest year for Chicago construction of all time?

Regardless, what a time to be alive!
What does OPE stands for?

Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 5:10 AM

Is there a concrete reason why they chose the order of development (West, East, South)? I'd assume it is because they went least costly to most costly? Also not to get wet before it rains but is there a chance a commitment from a large anchor tenant could expedite the process for WPS?

Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 11:43 AM

tax abatement, obnoxious signage, video wall(puke), no wonder y'all are so excited

Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenmore View Post
tax abatement, obnoxious signage, video wall(puke), no wonder y'all are so excited
I didn't see signage mentioned anywhere. I'm sure they'd have some facing the street like some big anchors.

Video wall is also a bad name for it. I was against it based on that name, but after seeing the "video wall" at their SF tower...looks awesome.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 12:45 PM

Quote:
I didn't see signage mentioned anywhere. I'm sure they'd have some facing the street like some big anchors.

Video wall is also a bad name for it. I was against it based on that name, but after seeing the "video wall" at their SF tower...looks awesome.
same here, should be Programmable Architectural LED Accent Crown Enhancement or PALACE

Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 1:04 PM

Quote:
They are calling the SF Tower crown a "Video Wall" which is essentially just a screen covered in LED's but the tests they ran were fantastic. If I'm not mistaken they can play HD video on it. I think that would be great for Chicago and this site. Making the skyline a little more sci-fi (not that sci-fi is my thing) could be cool.

I have no problem with them shutting down the park for private events but they should be careful to not let them find a loop hole to make it private year round. As far as the taxes, they'll definitely get something out of it but not the original ask.

Just my opinions.
This seems like the natural progression of lights on buildings for Chicago. Many of the prominent buildings have theme lights for certain times of year (i.e., pink for breast cancer awareness, green and red for Christmas, sports team colors during the playoffs). A video wall a la Salesforce Tower in SF is like the digital version of the analog messages the Blue Cross Blue Shield building frequently displays over Millennium Park. I wonder if the city will allow it for artistic and social purposes with limited commercial applications.

While I originally was negatively reactive to the idea of shutting down the Riverwalk along Wolf Point for private events, a night of sleeping on it and thinking about many comments on here made me less resistant. The parks are often cordoned off for private events. I would just suggest that the city try to limit the number of nights that this is allowed. The Riverwalk should be mostly open to the public. A couple of nights a month wouldn't bother me, as if anyone would consider my personal feelings on the matter.

On the matter of tax incentives? No. The city doesn't need to do that sort of corporate giveaway. These companies aren't doing the city as big of a favor as the CEOs and board member might think they are. Be flexible and good hosts, but there's no reason to throw such money at these wildly successful businesses.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Aug 24, 2018 at 10:21 PM.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 1:11 PM
BANNED

^^Oh, i see, just because we're hemorrhaging cash we should just say 'who cares'. $10 million could fund a lot of after school programs btw. It seems to me the city will win this game of chicken. Salesforce wants a trophy location and this is the only game in town.

Anyway, if OCS starts next year and they announce a letter of intent for WPS, it'll be the longest time of continuous big construction that I can remember. I hope we get a cool LED crown too. We need more Shanghai cool (as long as it doesn't kill the birds).

Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 1:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notyrview View Post
^^Oh, i see, just because we're hemorrhaging cash we should just say 'who cares'. $10 million could fund a lot of after school programs btw. It seems to me the city will win this game of chicken. Salesforce wants a trophy location and this is the only game in town.

Anyway, if OCS starts next year and they announce a letter of intent for WPS, it'll be the longest time of continuous big construction that I can remember. I hope we get a cool LED crown too. We need more Shanghai cool (as long as it doesn't kill the birds).
Yeah seems like the city is in the driver seat on this one...just for reference what kind of tax incentives did the city offer Boeing back in the early 2000's? I know its not an apples-to-apples comparison.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive