HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Suburbs

Old Posted Apr 1, 2020, 8:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianinmichigan View Post
1. the mall being hard to access(not centrally located in the region, 174 no longer a provincial highway and Tenth Line no longer a planned inter-provincial link),
2. lack of shoppers (is Orleans big enough to support a large mall when Orleans residents can also go to malls in other parts of the city where most residents also work and hang out)
I agree with most of the above post, but these two points are simply not true.

1. Place D'Orleans is relatively close to downtown by car - not much further than Bayshore is. And access by auto and transit is very good. Provincial highway or not - it's still a freeway. Not sure how Tenth Line factors in as it supports local access.

2. Orleans has nearly the same population as the city of Kingston so it's big enough (and pretty affluent as well). However, the stores are so shitty, people are not going out of their way to shop there. Unfortunate, but it's reality.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2020, 8:55 PM

They had more parking under Walmart/Zellers/Target? I wonder if that was a factor for demolishing and re-building that section?

Place d'Orleans really needs to follow the lead of the other small regional malls and come up with a new mixed-use master-plan.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2020, 9:28 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Regarding 10th Line it may have showed up on some lists for a new bridge to Quebec but I don't think it was ever considered a front-running location.

In any event if there was a bridge there it might give a bit of a boost but not that much.

It would land east of Gatineau airport so 90% of the population is east of there.

Thinking about where I live in Gatineau if I am going to cross a bridge to go shopping I'll probably go to Rideau Centre, or even St-Laurent. Unless Place were built into something super-awesome compared to the others.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2020, 5:11 PM

History correction: Woolco was already at Place d'Orléans when my family moved to Ottawa in 1985, if memory serves. They were probably part of the 1983 buildup...

*checks copy of Queenswood Heights: Memories from up the Hill*

Old Posted Apr 11, 2020, 8:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEWLine View Post
*checks copy of Queenswood Heights: Memories from up the Hill*
Just took a walk through parts of the woods in the centre of the neighborhood. Cool feature!

Do you know of a local bookstore that sells it online?

Old Posted May 1, 2020, 7:30 PM

Would that I did know of such bookstores. I bought my copy from Sure Print on St. Joseph Boulevard, shortly after the Queenswood Heights Community Association published the book a few years ago. Another example of historical gems hidden in low-profile places.

This is the original book launch notice:

http://queenswoodheights.com/en/quee...l-book-launch/

If they still have copies available, the contact info available there should help you get a copy in short order.

Old Posted May 2, 2020, 2:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Regarding 10th Line it may have showed up on some lists for a new bridge to Quebec but I don't think it was ever considered a front-running location.
I thought Tenth Line was planned to be the terminus of the once-planned eastern extension of the Rockcliffe Parkway? At least I thought that's why Tenth Line and Orleans Blvd were built so wide- there was the expectation they would be handling much more traffic at their northern ends. Maybe Champlain would have been a connection as well?

Old Posted May 2, 2020, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Would that I did know of such bookstores. I bought my copy from Sure Print on St. Joseph Boulevard, shortly after the Queenswood Heights Community Association published the book a few years ago. Another example of historical gems hidden in low-profile places.

This is the original book launch notice:

http://queenswoodheights.com/en/quee...l-book-launch/

If they still have copies available, the contact info available there should help you get a copy in short order.
Thanks!

Old Posted May 2, 2020, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradnixon View Post
I thought Tenth Line was planned to be the terminus of the once-planned eastern extension of the Rockcliffe Parkway? At least I thought that's why Tenth Line and Orleans Blvd were built so wide- there was the expectation they would be handling much more traffic at their northern ends. Maybe Champlain would have been a connection as well?
There dose see to be some space reserved along the river and between some development. I never heard of this project, but that seems plausible.

Old Posted May 2, 2020, 12:27 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

I believe at one point there were plans to extend the Rockcliffe Parkway eastwards. I seem to recall to discussions about which roads in Orleans would have entrances and exits at the parkway.

I think any plans for that have been shelved. There used to be a bit of an obstacle in the Hiawatha Park neighbourhood along the river which was small and modest, but they've allowed more housing development there in recent years so that corridor is now effectively closed up. I think the Ottawa River bike path actually goes through there on residential streets, as there is no undeveloped land along the river anymore.

Undeveloped land does resume going east from there though.

Another thing is that the eastward extension of Jeanne-d'Arc between 10th Line and Trim seems to follow the alignment of the proposed parkway.

Old Posted May 2, 2020, 9:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I believe at one point there were plans to extend the Rockcliffe Parkway eastwards. I seem to recall to discussions about which roads in Orleans would have entrances and exits at the parkway.

I think any plans for that have been shelved. There used to be a bit of an obstacle in the Hiawatha Park neighbourhood along the river which was small and modest, but they've allowed more housing development there in recent years so that corridor is now effectively closed up. I think the Ottawa River bike path actually goes through there on residential streets, as there is no undeveloped land along the river anymore.

Undeveloped land does resume going east from there though.

Another thing is that the eastward extension of Jeanne-d'Arc between 10th Line and Trim seems to follow the alignment of the proposed parkway.
Thank goodness that is shelved. There is precious little shoreline in Ottawa that doesn't have a mini-highway running along it. Very few places to actually live on the water or interact with the water without a constant stream of cars behind you. The residents of Radisson Way are very lucky. It's like a mini Grandview Road, which is where I'd live if I had the big bucks.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2020, 6:13 PM

Looks like an outfit called T. Kettle is taking up where David's Tea has left off...? So I'm reading from indeed.com today.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2020, 7:05 PM

Quote:
Looks like an outfit called T. Kettle is taking up where David's Tea has left off...? So I'm reading from indeed.com today.
T Kettle is a new Canadian company that bought something like 45 Davids Tea locations.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2020, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
T Kettle is a new Canadian company that bought something like 45 Davids Tea locations.
Same people as Sunshine Records that took over HMV locations a few years back.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2020, 11:55 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
More info here:
https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...postcount=2895

Old Posted Sep 27, 2021, 2:02 PM

Looks like we're getting some more vacancies at the Place filled. At least three slots getting new tenants? Maybe four?

Last edited by DEWLine; Sep 27, 2021 at 7:30 PM.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2021, 7:54 PM

Inspired by discussions in the Bayshore thread: should the Place have kept its food court on the second floor?

Old Posted Sep 28, 2021, 1:38 AM

Quote:
Inspired by discussions in the Bayshore thread: should the Place have kept its food court on the second floor?
I'd say it was a good move. The second floor of Place d'Orléans has no retail left other than HBC and Sports Check. Additionally, moving the food court to the first floor removes tough to rent retail at ground level, along with creating more activity and likely increasing business at the food court itself.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2021, 5:24 PM

Anyone know who's moving into the space next to Mark's?

Old Posted Nov 25, 2021, 3:15 PM

Looks like there's not much further work being done on the space next to Mark's since early October, then...?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Suburbs