HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 12:40 PM

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 2:06 PM
Future World Dictator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JurassicPhilly View Post
Let's not forget Philadelphia was known as the "Motor City" until most of the auto industry relocated to Seattle in the 1990s. It's all good, they got to build the cars, and we produced great bands like Nirvana and Pearl Jam.
Umm... what?

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 9:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamrobk View Post
Umm... what?
You'll have to forgive JurassicPhilly, he's somehow posting from an alternate timeline

Old Posted Oct 23, 2019, 3:20 AM

Although Philadelphia was never known as the “Motor City,” they did manufacture cars and trucks here; you can still see the old Ford plant on North Broad, for example. But Philadelphia was far from merely a factory and railroad city. It's worth remembering that many of the old industries were headquartered in Philadelphia, and gave employment to a large share of the legions of “white collar” office workers who were based here. All those pre-war high-rise office buildings on S. Broad and along Walnut Street were full of office workers.

Philadelphia had a remarkably diversified economy, including banks, insurance companies, publishing concerns, big homegrown retail establishments, hotels, and entertainment. And of course, electronics, medicine, and chemistry. Yes, the loss of the factories and the many smaller manufacturing shops (printing, garments, metalworking, fine tools, jewelry, etc. etc.) helped lead to an overall economic stagnation and population loss, but there were significant losses among “white collar” and retail jobs as well.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2019, 12:31 PM

Old Posted Oct 23, 2019, 1:55 PM
Philly Rising Up!

^
Brexit effect...would love to see Philly pick up companies as a consequence of that...

Old Posted Oct 23, 2019, 1:59 PM

Penn Connects 4.0

Love the plans for Phase 4 of Penn Connects. Found them on the Penn Connects website. Looks like it's set to start in 2023. A lot of great projects planned here. I especially love the two towers at ~30th and Walnut.

https://www.pennconnects.upenn.edu/p...ortunities.pdf

Old Posted Oct 23, 2019, 2:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Penn Connects 4.0

Love the plans for Phase 4 of Penn Connects. Found them on the Penn Connects website. Looks like it's set to start in 2023. A lot of great projects planned here. I especially love the two towers at ~30th and Walnut.

https://www.pennconnects.upenn.edu/p...ortunities.pdf

The towers around Penn Park and the ice rink redevelopment are the perfect way to cap off the area around 30th St, and make a visual step down from Schuylkill Yards. Love it.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2019, 2:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanthusiat View Post

The towers around Penn Park and the ice rink redevelopment are the perfect way to cap off the area around 30th St, and make a visual step down from Schuylkill Yards. Love it.
Really excited for the 38th and Spruce developments, along with the Walnut towers.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2019, 2:54 PM

Very excited by this. Although only at the vague "opportunity" stage, the new construction and streetscape improvements along Walnut will be huge. The Ice Rink redevelopment will make much better use of the space. Also, filling in the voids around the tracks and "express"-way will have a huge qualitative effect on the area and increase the sense that both banks of the Schuylkill are tied together. Only the long term prospect of building around/over the Amtrak and SEPTA rail yards will be needed to complete the effect. Is that new athletic field going to be on top of the proposed South Street Garage? Probably not the best look for that space, but the parking is probably needed. The current garage next to the new Hospital is inadequate, especially when there are events at Franklin Field.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2019, 2:58 PM
Philly Rising Up!

^
The Amtrak area and below street level in and around the FMC looks very raw and industrial. These added builds will help fill in some of the area, but thinking long term if planting more trees and making it more park like will improve the look and possibly lower the noise off I76. Also, in front of the new Aramark bldg, they need some serious landscaping along the trail. It is so expose to HVAC equipment and the railroad tracks, that it looks unfinished and not polished part of the trail and park like feel. Folks from the fitler club need to make some noise about that...LOL.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2019, 4:09 PM

That image really visually reinforces just how damaging and isolating those railroad tracks and I76 are to Penn's organic growth. It's corralling it somewhat unnaturally.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2019, 5:30 PM

^ Yes and no. As with Schuylkill Yards and the highline, they could have (and are to some degree) building around them. It was a conscious decision to not relocate the athletic fields elsewhere and to expand them and Penn Park. They could have decided to build out those areas and over the obstacles. While the intrusion of main transportation arteries in that location is not optimal, they are necessary and we are stuck with them where they are until kingdom come.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2019, 8:11 PM

The things that are most exciting to me on this plot:

#s 8, 10, and 11.

The Walnut Tower, "Medical Expansion", and Pennovation Buildings.

Also, seeing it from this viewpoint makes it not inconceivable that the northern edge of the soon to be abandoned PES land could function as an extension of sorts of the Pennovation Campus.

For sure, if the land could be cleaned up and a river/access road created (which I believe is in the master plan anyway...to connect it to the Navy Yard), then a wide swatch of the land could be used for things like light manufacturing, etc.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2019, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
That image really visually reinforces just how damaging and isolating those railroad tracks and I76 are to Penn's organic growth. It's corralling it somewhat unnaturally.
the tracks have been there for many decades. And they likely aren't going anywhere.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 5:28 PM

CDR Submissions for November are up

Nothing overly tall and exciting for us skyscraper nerds, but I'll tell you what, these lowrise/midrise mixed-use developments popping up all over the city are really having a resounding effect on the feel and vibrancy of a much larger part of the city than "Greater Center City," which is honestly great to see and a long time coming.

Just look at the link below:
-The large mixed use development in Girard Estates in South Philly
-Another mixed-use development on North Broad, just south of Girard Ave
-A mixed-use development in far East Germantown, which is incredible
-Another mixed-use development in East Kensington
-Another large mixed use development on Chestnut Street in West Philly
-The next phase of Dobson Mills in East Falls
-AND a larger mixed-use project in Norris Square/West Kensington

Really impressed by all of these projects popping up in most corners of the city.

CDR link:
https://www.phila.gov/documents/civi...ing-materials/

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 7:51 PM

Quote:

Nothing overly tall and exciting for us skyscraper nerds, but I'll tell you what, these lowrise/midrise mixed-use developments popping up all over the city are really having a resounding effect on the feel and vibrancy of a much larger part of the city than "Greater Center City," which is honestly great to see and a long time coming.

Just look at the link below:
-The large mixed use development in Girard Estates in South Philly
-Another mixed-use development on North Broad, just south of Girard Ave
-A mixed-use development in far East Germantown, which is incredible
-Another mixed-use development in East Kensington
-Another large mixed use development on Chestnut Street in West Philly
-The next phase of Dobson Mills in East Falls
-AND a larger mixed-use project in Norris Square/West Kensington

Really impressed by all of these projects popping up in most corners of the city.

CDR link:
https://www.phila.gov/documents/civi...ing-materials/
I live in the northeastern corner of Francisville, so I live close by what will become of that site. I'm very excited to see it happen! The 900 block of North Broad is set to undergo a tremendous amount of change--the aforementioned project, the ongoing City Blue building overbuild, and the proposed overbuild of the one-story buildings on the western side (the seafood place and Family Dollar). Eventually, I hope land values rise to the point where we'll see large-scale development at Broad and Girard, which is currently an auto-centric mess on its NE (a McDonald's and gas station), NW (a KFC), and SW (a standalone CVS with a parking lot) corners.

Also, I've mentioned this in the General Developments thread, but I think that it's worth mentioning again: the Checkers, just north of the KFC on the NW corner of Broad and Girard, has been sitting desolate since late August. L&I cited the business for having unstable walls, which prompted it to shut down. If that location was truly high-volume, then I would've expected a fix to be made within two weeks. With that said, do y'all think there's any chance that the parcel will change hands? The 1300 block of North Broad has changed tremendously since The Nest went up, so I can see properties on the 1200 block looking very valuable to developers. The Checkers property goes from Broad to Carlisle, so something huge could rise there!

Temple University '18 ']['

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan View Post
I live in the northeastern corner of Francisville, so I live close by what will become of that site. I'm very excited to see it happen! The 900 block of North Broad is set to undergo a tremendous amount of change--the aforementioned project, the ongoing City Blue building overbuild, and the proposed overbuild of the one-story buildings on the western side (the seafood place and Family Dollar). Eventually, I hope land values rise to the point where we'll see large-scale development at Broad and Girard, which is currently an auto-centric mess on its NE (a McDonald's and gas station), NW (a KFC), and SW (a standalone CVS with a parking lot) corners.

Also, I've mentioned this in the General Developments thread, but I think that it's worth mentioning again: the Checkers, just north of the KFC on the NW corner of Broad and Girard, has been sitting desolate since late August. L&I cited the business for having unstable walls, which prompted it to shut down. If that location was truly high-volume, then I would've expected a fix to be made within two weeks. With that said, do y'all think there's any chance that the parcel will change hands? The 1300 block of North Broad has changed tremendously since The Nest went up, so I can see properties on the 1200 block looking very valuable to developers. The Checkers property goes from Broad to Carlisle, so something huge could rise there!
Let's hope the Checkers gets developed then! That intersection truly is a mess. Is Temple finally building something on that massive hole they created at Broad and Master?? What about that massive hole they created between Jefferson and Oxford on Broad? Any news what they plan to do there?

And unfortunately, in my opinion, the biggest offense to North Broad Street is the stretch of crap between Fairmount Ave and Poplar Street on the East side of Broad. Ooofff....

Old Posted Oct 26, 2019, 6:15 PM
build awesome buildings

Quote:

i was walking along the delaware today and had the same feel of greater center city extended. if all of these projects pop, it is going to have a true river to river connection (in some areas). townhouses are encroaching every spare lot from 95 to front, more clearing and fencing is going up everywhere, the townhouses just south of penn treaty look good and really change the feel (stonework or pressed stone is going up and looks good) and i heard major work in the peco plant this morning - it sounded way too loud to just be random. the vibrancy everywhere is really apparent and it just seems like there are more people everywhere - it’s an awesome time to feel the positive energy and momentum throughout the city.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2019, 1:04 AM

Prologis to Acquire Liberty Property Trust for $12.6 Billion

Quote:
SAN FRANCISCO and WAYNE, Pa., Oct. 27, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- Prologis, Inc. (NYSE: PLD) and Liberty Property Trust (NYSE: LPT) today announced that the two companies have entered into a definitive merger agreement by which Prologis will acquire Liberty in an all-stock transaction, valued at approximately $12.6 billion, including the assumption of debt. The board of directors of Prologis and the board of trustees of Liberty have each unanimously approved the transaction.

"Liberty's logistics assets are highly complementary to our U.S. portfolio and this acquisition increases our holdings and growth potential in several key markets," said Prologis chairman and CEO Hamid R. Moghadam. "The strategic fit between the portfolios allows us to capture immediate cost and long-term revenue synergies."

The transaction deepens Prologis' presence in target markets such as Lehigh Valley, Chicago, Houston, Central PA, New Jersey and Southern California.

The acquisition on an owned and managed basis comprises:

107 million square foot logistics operating portfolio; 87 percent overlap with key markets
5.1 million square feet of logistics development in progress
1,684 acres of land for future logistics development with build-out potential of 19.7 million square feet
4.9 million square foot office operating and development portfolio

Prologis plans to dispose of approximately $3.5 billion of assets on a pro rata share basis. This includes $2.8 billion of non-strategic logistics properties and $700 million of office properties.

"Liberty and Prologis represent two of the finest teams of real estate professionals and two of the finest portfolios of industrial real estate ever assembled," said Bill Hankowsky, Liberty chairman and chief executive officer. "The joining of these two platforms at this moment, when industrial logistics has become so pivotal to the new economy, will further the industry's ability to support the nation's supply chain and enhance value creation for our combined shareholders. It is a testament to Liberty's outstanding teams of professionals, both present and past."

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations