HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 9, 2018, 11:00 PM

Leonardos' Coffeehouse (Steubenville):

Steubenville's Nelson Family purchased a large historic building in Downtown Steubenville and has been working to revitalize it. The first floor has three retail spaces - one is the Steubenville Popcorn Company, the second is Drosselmyer's Nutcracker Shop (Due to Steubenville being known for their annual Nutcracker Village), and the third that just opened is Leonardo Coffeehouse and Renaissance Roasters. The upstairs floors will be developed into apartments as far as I know, but sadly there's not too much info on this project online.

This is one of the only photos of the building I can find.... The coffee shop is to the right of the Popcorn Shop, so it is blocked by a building in this photo:

This is the second coffee shop to open recently in Steubenville - before this year, Tim Hortons was the only coffee shop in town. Needless to say, this is a great addition to Downtown and will hopefully lead to some type of comeback. Fourth Street definitely has a lot of potential and historic buildings that could be utilized.

The inside of Leonardo's Coffeehouse:

Downtown Weirton Gateway Proposal:

I know Weirton isn't in Ohio, but it is a part of the Ohio Valley and is very connected to Steubenville, so I will include its development news in this thread from now on. The Brooke-Hancock Jefferson Planning Commission asked WVU architecture students to present ideas for Downtown Weirton improvements. One plan was a pedestrian plaza and food truck space at the "gateway" of Downtown Weirton.

Before and After:

New Lifestyle Center Coming to Wheeling:

More big news is coming out of Weirton! The city is starting to enter an upswing, most likely due to its proximity to Pittsburgh. The city received a $2.5 million grant to develop the 73 acre Three Springs Business Park. The first phase will be a lifestyle center style development. It will be centered around a roundabout and anchored by a convention center. The development will have 20 storefronts available and will hopefully bring 600 jobs. The developers hope to bring a modern shopping center to the Ohio Valley for people that do not want to go to Pittsburgh - this is likely a reaction to the near death of the Fort Steuben Mall across the river in Steubenville.

A basic plan for the new lifestyle center:

The development obviously isn't anything too special design-wise, but for the Ohio Valley, it is a pretty big deal. I'm not sure if Weirton has the retail demand to fill up this whole development though.

Old Posted May 10, 2018, 12:37 PM

Is there an article on the Weirton development?

Old Posted May 10, 2018, 8:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaguffin View Post
Is there an article on the Weirton development?
It's not super informative, but I found this WTOV9 article.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2018, 6:10 PM

Historic Home Renovation in Center Wheeling:
Source: Realtor.com

I came across this really great home renovation at 2308 Eoff Street in Center Wheeling, a couple blocks from the Center Market District. (I would put a Street View link here, but Wheeling has almost no coverage somehow....) The house is a historic 1890s rowhouse that was completely renovated to allow for a modern yet historic feel. It is listed at $190,000

The exterior:

The interior:

It's awesome to see projects like this in Wheeling, especially around Center Market. This area really has amazing potential, and already has a ton of restaurants, cafes, art galleries, and more within walking distance.

Flatiron Building Renovations Complete:

The Flatiron Building in Downtown has completed its renovations! The Flatiron Deli on the first floor is in its soft-opening phase. It currently just has a limited coffee menu but will soon be a full cafe, wine bar, and bakery with deli items and a small grocery item shop. They have also received a go-ahead for their outdoor seating along Nailers Way and are even setting up a small bike-share style rental kiosk due to the building's proximity to the riverfront bike trail.

The Flatiron Building:

The apartments are all ready to be rented, but are going quick. They are running between $1,100 - $1,400 a month. I think the apartments turned out to be absolutely beautiful.

The apartments in the Flatiron Building:

It's super exciting to see yet another successful renovation project in Downtown! Wheeling is really starting to move in the right direction!

Old Posted Jun 4, 2018, 8:10 PM
Ex Houstonian

Those are freaking fantastic

Old Posted Jun 5, 2018, 3:15 PM

Former Keg & Kraut Redevelopment Stalled:
Last year, the city sold the former Keg & Kraut Building in East Wheeling to a developer for $1 under the assumption that it would become a wood-fire pizza restaurant within 18 months. Now, the owner is asking for an indefinite extension to this, blaming East Wheeling's rough perception for the lack of progress. Mayor Elliott shot back at this by blaming them for getting involved if they weren't willing to take a risk to help improve the neighborhood. The developer has put in $80,000 of work so far, and if they show their plans for the property within two weeks, the city will consider an extension. This building is one of the last remaining historic buildings in this block - the block across the street was completely demolished to build a large soccer facility where dozens of Victorian-era buildings once stood. I really hope this project works - it's time for East Wheeling to live up to its potentials and not continue to be torn down. Currently, plans for the pizza restaurant have been replaced with a hip coffeshop called "Mugshots" that would sell lunch items and coffee - personally I think this would be best for the neighborhood.

Rendering of the Keg & Kraut Redevelopment:

Tiny House Neighborhood on Wheeling Island:
Wheeling Island has some heavily blighted areas that have been targeted by tiny house enthusiasts. This group led my Martin Wach hopes to set aside land for over one hundred 8.5 feet by 24 feet houses. The city is still undecided on the plan. Some NIMBY's say it will lower property values, but most studies show the opposite. The mayor is in full support of this as a way to bring development back to the island. There is also a new park coming to the island on the other side of the 10th Street bridge into Downtown.

One of the several tiny homes popping up on Wheeling Island:

New Brewery Coming to Center Market District:
Brew Keepers, a locally owned brewery in Center Market is ready to open up a sit down brewery/restaurant. They have decided to stay in the neighborhood and will be moving into the vacant 2247 Market Street. This will be the district's second brewery and will hopefully be a good addition to the city's most vibrant neighborhood and entertainment district.

The white and blue building is where the brewery will occupy:

A view of Center Market District:

That about concludes the news coming out of Wheeling. Meanwhile though, NIMBY's are still working hard to block the two way traffic conversion for Downtown roads. The mayor on the other hand is still fighting the good fight and trying to prove how it works in every other city and will help slow down traffic and make the pedestrian experience safer. Again, I love Mayor Elliott - he never seems to back down from his ideas and has been promoting smart urban planning principles even when no one else is.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2018, 5:35 PM

JSW Steel Investing $500 Million in Mingo Junction:

JSW Steel announced yesterday that they are going to be investing $500 million into the former Acero Junction Plant in Mingo Junction, OH, a small town north of Wheeling. This will hopefully breathe some life back into Mingo, which has economically suffered for decades. The project will be divided into two phases, each of which will cost around $250 million. Phase one will modernize the hot strip mill by modernizing the arc furnace and slab caster. Phase two would add a second arc furnace. The company says they were attracted to the Ohio Valley due to the abundance of scrap metal and natural gas in the region. Mingo Junction officials hope this will bring their town's steel industry back for good.

The former Acero Junction Plant:

Mingo Junction is a pretty depressing town to drive through, but it is very interesting for sure. Most of the business district is completely abandoned and falling apart with crumbling steel mills dominating the skyline. The hilltop neighborhoods are where the better neighborhoods are these days. I will admit, I'm a bit skeptical to see Mingo become dependent on steel once again. Also, fun fact about Mingo Junction: It is the home town of Wild Cherry who released the 1976 hit "Play That Funky Music White Boy."

Some photos around town in Mingo Junction:

Old Posted Jun 23, 2018, 2:52 AM
somewhere in-between

Mingo Junction is a place that I heard of while in Pittsburgh, but never visited. The photos you posted made me want to look around on street view - the main drag is definitely very drab, but some great old building stock. Hopefully it does get some new life.

Peak population was about 5,300 in 1970. Apparently George Washington spent a night camping in Mingo Town in 1770 - pretty neat (source: Wikipedia).

Old Posted Jul 28, 2018, 3:31 AM

Wheeling Scraps Downtown Two Way Traffic Plan:

Mayor Elliott proposed a plan to convert Main and Market Street in Downtown from one way roads into two way roads earlier this year. Much to his surprise, it turned into one of Wheeling's most controversial topics in recent years. Despite business support, an ever-growing NIMBY group strongly opposes the plan, claiming it is "dangerous for senior citizens." Most of the city officials have decided to side with their constituents, and the nail in the coffin came when Mayor Elliott himself threw in the towel. But, a compromise plan has been created which will bring a $19.1 million streetscaping project to Main, Market, and Chapline Streets - details on that are not yet known. I just hope this issue won't completely turn Wheeling against Mayor Elliott - he has done an amazing job promoting good urban planning principle within Wheeling.

950 Main Street Redevelopment:
Local real estate investors have purchased 950 Main Street - a historic building on a prominent corner in Downtown Wheeling. The first floor is home to Bridge Tavern & Grill, which will remain in the building. The developers hope to make the building, once the Wheeling Hotel, into a first-class historical landmark. The second, third, and fourth floors will all be renovated to make room for office and apartment space. They hope to eventually invest $2 million in the building and to turn the first floor into a live music club. They cite the recent historic tax credit increase from 10% to 25% and the recent success of Downtown Wheeling as their motivation for investing in the building. It is across the street from another historic building that is undergoing a similar restoration.

950 Main Street:

New Downtown Public Safety Building:

There is a proposal for a new Public Safety Building on Market Street in Downtown in place of a surface parking lot. The building would be the new headquarters for the police department and fire department, which both need a bigger space to operate in. The building, designed by M&G Architects, must be approved by voters with a levy this November in order to proceed. It would be great to see this happen - it would bring more jobs to Downtown and get rid of a large surface parking lot.

A rendering of the Public Safety Building:

Old Posted Jul 28, 2018, 12:57 PM
somewhere in-between

The new Public Safety Building rendering looks really good.

I can't say I'm surprised that the Mayor's 2-way streets proposal was met with heavy opposition, but the reasoning is surprising, to me. I would think that two-way streets would be safer for senior citizens than one-way streets. Two way streets usually come with a reduced speed limit. And even if they don't, they inherently require drivers to slow down and be more aware of their surroundings. They sometimes result in narrower streets too, so less crossing distance. Sure, pedestrians would have to adapt to the new traffic patterns (look both ways, and all of that) but - sheesh. What a strange battle cry to rally around.

I'm interested in smaller cities that try to reverse the one-way streets mentality that proliferated in the 60s and 70s. I think it makes more sense in bigger places to stick with one-ways, but more sense to maintain two-ways (in most instances) in cities with less than 100K population. Kalamazoo is going through the same thing and it's a similar story. The downtown businesses are largely in support of it; local commuters are not. Their reasoning is that it will create huge traffic backups downtown. Never heard the senior citizen argument here though.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2018, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deja vu View Post
The new Public Safety Building rendering looks really good.

I can't say I'm surprised that the Mayor's 2-way streets proposal was met with heavy opposition, but the reasoning is surprising, to me. I would think that two-way streets would be safer for senior citizens than one-way streets. Two way streets usually come with a reduced speed limit. And even if they don't, they inherently require drivers to slow down and be more aware of their surroundings. They sometimes result in narrower streets too, so less crossing distance. Sure, pedestrians would have to adapt to the new traffic patterns (look both ways, and all of that) but - sheesh. What a strange battle cry to rally around.

I'm interested in smaller cities that try to reverse the one-way streets mentality that proliferated in the 60s and 70s. I think it makes more sense in bigger places to stick with one-ways, but more sense to maintain two-ways (in most instances) in cities with less than 100K population. Kalamazoo is going through the same thing and it's a similar story. The downtown businesses are largely in support of it; local commuters are not. Their reasoning is that it will create huge traffic backups downtown. Never heard the senior citizen argument here though.
Yes, the senior citizen argument is terrible and basically rooted in them having to look two ways when crossing now.... The mayor even brought in some people to give detailed presentations on how 2 lane roads are actually safer, but in the end it didn't matter. There is a traffic argument too, but it didn't get brought up until later on. The original movement started with some lady collecting signatures from senior citizens living in the city and basically fear mongering about how apparently wild the traffic would be if it's two lanes.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2018, 7:43 PM
Ex Houstonian

Glad to see wheeling still getting some decent new stuff. I just hope most of the run down and or abandoned historic buildings can be restored. I just started working in stuebenville just up the river and it's the most disgusting hell hole town I've ever worked in. No development of any kind or restorations going on. Almost the entire downtown is abandoned and dotted with the occasional methhead or heroin addict ODing on the sidewalks. I don't think Stuebenville has any chance of any recovery. Wheeling however could come back. It's at the epicenter of all the gas drilling going on in the region.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2018, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
Glad to see wheeling still getting some decent new stuff. I just hope most of the run down and or abandoned historic buildings can be restored. I just started working in stuebenville just up the river and it's the most disgusting hell hole town I've ever worked in. No development of any kind or restorations going on. Almost the entire downtown is abandoned and dotted with the occasional methhead or heroin addict ODing on the sidewalks. I don't think Stuebenville has any chance of any recovery. Wheeling however could come back. It's at the epicenter of all the gas drilling going on in the region.
Hey, I'm in Steubenville now too! But yeah, it's not great. There is a new coffee shop in Downtown (haven't been yet) that has some live music and stuff. Plus there's some nice festivals downtown now. But it's still a dump. I'd love to see you take some pics around Steubenville - it does have some good photo opportunities I think. I have a weird liking for the Ohio Valley though, probably since I grew up around there (in Toronto). There's some awesome historic buildings with so much potential, but sadly only Wheeling has done anything remotely good with them.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2018, 11:19 PM

Hey guys! I made a Downtown Steubenville Photo Tour thread today! Make sure to check it out - it shows a lot of Downtown's old buildings and a few of the newer additions to the neighborhood!

Old Posted Nov 3, 2020, 11:47 PM
somewhere in-between

I miss the updates on here. Wheeling is such an interesting place.

Quote:
Robrecht Riverfront Park Moving Toward Reality in Center Wheeling
The Intelligencer / Wheeling News-Register
October 31, 2020

WHEELING — An underutilized slice of property in Center Wheeling next to the Heritage Trail soon could serve as a new park that will include pedestrian and trail facilities, a new parking lot, a ramp to the river with a kayak and canoe launch, boardwalks over Wheeling Creek and 10-foot-wide trails along the creek’s banks. Plans were unveiled this week for the development of a new downtown city park in Wheeling — the Robrecht Riverfront Park. City leaders are applying for additional funds to help bring the project to fruition...
This is the site, notable in-particular for its many extant railroad bridges that cross the creek, which could be repurposed as pedestrian routes.

Source: The Intelligencer / Wheeling News-Register

Old Posted Nov 5, 2020, 2:49 PM

^ That's cool. Would be nice to see something other than a nicely landscaped parking lot, but reuse of those bridges and focusing on riverfront recreation will go a long way towards making downtown Wheeling a more lively place.

Wheeling's got great bones... very mini-Pittsburgh obviously.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2021, 6:30 PM
somewhere in-between

While the city moves forward with plans to demolish this highly-visible & vacant industrial site, construction continues two blocks east (at the corner of 19th & Wood Streets) on Northwood Health Systems' new outpatient and residential care services addition. The 24,800 SF, 2-story addition project is the result of a domino effect caused by the 2019 closure of the Ohio Valley Medical Center on Eoff Street, where NMS rented space. The work also includes the city's vacating of Lane F (located just west of the current administration building) and the demolition of three small buildings along it, which will allow the center to accommodate more parking. This article explains it all -

Quote:
19th Street Area of Wheeling Undergoes a Facelift
Eric Ayres | The Intelligencer / Wheeling News-Register
February 20, 2021
Rendering of Northwood Health Systems' new addition at the corner of 19th and Wood Streets -

Source: The Intelligencer | Courtesy Rendering

Old Posted Feb 23, 2021, 2:43 PM

Why did Wheeling's hospital close..??

Old Posted Feb 23, 2021, 3:56 PM
somewhere in-between

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaguffin View Post
Why did Wheeling's hospital close..??
Good question, and I wasn't sure either, so I did a little digging. It surprised a lot of folks when it happened, and is still controversial. Alecto Healthcare (Irvine, CA-based for-profit Healthcare provider) owned the facility, and closed it in September 2019, along with another hospital - Fairmont General - in February 2019. That might be your problem right there - a for-profit entity buying up aging hospitals in poorer regions 3 time zones away...

The West Virginia AG's office opened an investigation in Spring 2020 upon the request of the Governor and other state officials. It sounds like Alecto was in negotiations with WVU Medicine, which fell through at the time of the announced closures. Apparently there was not much advance notice / warning of either closure to hospital staff or patients. From what I can discern, that investigation is still ongoing, no doubt stymied by the pandemic -

Quote:
W.Va. AG Looking Into Alecto’s Closure Of OVMC, Fairmont
The Intelligencer / Wheeling News-Register
April 02, 2020

Old Posted Feb 23, 2021, 6:09 PM

Quote:
Alecto Healthcare (Irvine, CA-based for-profit Healthcare provider) owned the facility,
For profit??

jfc.

But I wonder if WV is not responsible for allowing a profit owner, or is this something common that isn't commonly known?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations