HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Mar 1, 2019, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenF View Post
Skyscraperpage was down all morning and into the afternoon. My understanding of this site is nobody really maintains it anymore and is nobody claims it. Might be a good time of maybe taking our discousion to Discord instead. We can set up voice channels and individual channels for different areas and projects.
I would guess someone had to have been behind bringing it back up, so my best guess there is still someone "somewhat" maintaining it... They don't do a great job at it, though...

Old Posted Mar 1, 2019, 10:37 PM

Discord is no good IMO because it's not findable via search engines. It's a similar problem with Facebook groups, but at least Facebook Groups are easier to discover (as long as you have a Facebook account). Honestly, Reddit might be the best alternative, but the discussion format on that site is inferior to traditional forums due to the up/down vote pattern.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2019, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenF View Post
Skyscraperpage was down all morning and into the afternoon. My understanding of this site is nobody really maintains it anymore and is nobody claims it. Might be a good time of maybe taking our discousion to Discord instead. We can set up voice channels and individual channels for different areas and projects.
If you hurry, before there discussion goes on too far, the last few comments of this thread may have somewhat of what you are looking for

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...213438&page=73

Old Posted Mar 2, 2019, 12:10 AM
The Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by csbxvs View Post
Discord is no good IMO because it's not findable via search engines. It's a similar problem with Facebook groups, but at least Facebook Groups are easier to discover (as long as you have a Facebook account). Honestly, Reddit might be the best alternative, but the discussion format on that site is inferior to traditional forums due to the up/down vote pattern.
I totally understand issues with Discord and Reddit. Discord would definitely allow for more of a real-time discussion that we don't get here. Pictures, memes, gifs, and videos are easy to post on Discord, unlike this site. Discord is definitely better used in conjunction with a website as to help direct people to the Discord server for further discussions.

The other option would be a mass exodus from here over to Skyscrapercity. That site's forum software is newer than here but not sure of how well maintained it is and if it is running into similar issues.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2019, 1:56 AM

Just because:

Could be a great home for the Utah Opera once restored and stage expanded...

Last edited by Old&New; Mar 5, 2019 at 8:53 PM.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2019, 5:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
In the last ten years, Salt Lake has had three towers constructed downtown that are above 300 feet. Hell, the last nineteen years, it's only been four (counting the Grand America). We're going to be waiting a long while to get to that point. But it only takes one development to dramatically alter the skyline - a 600 footer right in the heart of the skyline.
I have been busy and didn't get a chance to bring this up when I first read the post.

Sure, SLC has had 4 300+' buildings built in the last 19 years but things are definitely changing. Before the end of this year, we will have at least 2 300+' buildings under construction, Tower 8 and the CCH.

We also may see work start on 370 Millennium (Held). Then there is Block 67 Phase 2, with 1 guaranteed over 350' and around 300'.

This would be at least 4 300+' towers all within the next 5 to 7 years.

These are the known towers in the pipeline. This doesn't include any of the possible towers including APS, Carl's Jr., SE corner of 2nd South and West Temple, 4th South and State parking lot, or the Zions parking lot.

In addition to these, I know that CCR/PRI is making plans for additional Commercial buildings to follow Tower 8. They have at least 2 planned. Their goal is to wait until Tower 8 is nearly completely leased before any plans will be announced. The announcement may come later if other commercial or mixed use towers are under construction (i.e. Block 67 phase 2).

There is also a good chance that the planned apartment building east of Harmons (Partnership between CCR and Cowboy Partners) may be increased in height from 15 stories to 35 stories. This will depend on how well Liberty Sky is received. One note on the building, CCR is supposed to control the naming rights, so no "Liberty <fill in the blank>" for the name.

Now even with all of this said, while unlikely, it is possible that all we will see is 4 300+' buildings in the next 10 years but that would still be nearly twice as fast as the previous 300+' tower construction rate.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2019, 3:10 PM
ML Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makid View Post
In addition to these, I know that CCR/PRI is making plans for additional Commercial buildings to follow Tower 8. They have at least 2 planned. Their goal is to wait until Tower 8 is nearly completely leased before any plans will be announced. The announcement may come later if other commercial or mixed use towers are under construction (i.e. Block 67 phase 2).

There is also a good chance that the planned apartment building east of Harmons (Partnership between CCR and Cowboy Partners) may be increased in height from 15 stories to 35 stories. This will depend on how well Liberty Sky is received. One note on the building, CCR is supposed to control the naming rights, so no "Liberty <fill in the blank>" for the name.
A 350+ foot apartment tower on 200 East? Definitely skeptical but I want it.

And any idea where these planned commercial towers would go? I’d hope 400 S Main

Old Posted Mar 2, 2019, 6:04 PM
A.K.A. Vigo

any word on the Sears block? I know they recently tore down the ugly mortuary behind Sears. I’m not sure what the plan for that property is. It looks like a car dealership is currently using the sears parking lot. They have part of it fenced off.... I really hope this is not a long term or even a permanent thing.... I really don’t want to see that property turned in to car dealerships.... hopefully the city doesn’t allow it.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2019, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airhero View Post
A 350+ foot apartment tower on 200 East? Definitely skeptical but I want it.

And any idea where these planned commercial towers would go? I’d hope 400 S Main
Sadly, I don't know where they are planned to go, just that they are being worked on.

As for the 2nd East and 1st South apartment tower. It is only a possible range of up to 35 stories. I have heard it would depend on how well Liberty Sky does but I also think that since they aren't in a rush, it may also depend on how the Block 67 phase 2 apartment tower does.

With CCR/PRI being primarily self funded, I can see them waiting until there is an unmet need, somewhat like Tower 8. It was only pushed forward due to 111 leasing quickly and no other developer planning a large 400,000+ sq ft commercial building.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2019, 6:25 PM
SLC Lifer

Quote:
Sadly, I don't know where they are planned to go, just that they are being worked on.

As for the 2nd East and 1st South apartment tower. It is only a possible range of up to 35 stories. I have heard it would depend on how well Liberty Sky does but I also think that since they aren't in a rush, it may also depend on how the Block 67 phase 2 apartment tower does.

With CCR/PRI being primarily self funded, I can see them waiting until there is an unmet need, somewhat like Tower 8. It was only pushed forward due to 111 leasing quickly and no other developer planning a large 400,000+ sq ft commercial building.
Patrinely and Held need to step up and get to work. Both firms are completely capable and have billions behind them. My hope is there will be a bunch of news soon on these two proposals. CCH landing clarifies a bunch of things on the hospitality side. The airport is still really squeezing the local big project pipeline however. With a 3rd terminal looking imminent, that won't change for a while. A bunch of medium sized local development crews are now officially on the sidelines. Unit demand is high but rent growth is not with our massive pipeline. We are in a spot where costs are still skyrocketing and rents are not. Perversely, I think this really pays well into the tower res-rental concepts. Infill is expensive right now. We have seen multiple "A" dirt deals trade at $90psf. Gotta go vertical to monetize that. Those numbers freak out the locals but not the out of state guys.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2019, 11:23 PM

I'm curious about something. This is a little off the discussion, but has there been a lot of military helicopter activity in and around Salt Lake/Davis/Weber Counties lately? I'm hearing reports that there's a lot of activity around the Provo area lately. Reason I ask is that there has been a huge amount of activity around Los Angeles, particularly central and downtown. Sometimes the groupings are so large it's like a scene from one of those pre-cataclysmic/post apocalyptic movies. Just wondering. Perhaps a little conspiratorial, but there's been a lot of chatter about enacting the Monroe Doctrine with Venezuela. The whole unusual military activity seems a little ominous.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2019, 1:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
I'm curious about something. This is a little off the discussion, but has there been a lot of military helicopter activity in and around Salt Lake/Davis/Weber Counties lately? I'm hearing reports that there's a lot of activity around the Provo area lately. Reason I ask is that there has been a huge amount of activity around Los Angeles, particularly central and downtown. Sometimes the groupings are so large it's like a scene from one of those pre-cataclysmic/post apocalyptic movies. Just wondering. Perhaps a little conspiratorial, but there's been a lot of chatter about enacting the Monroe Doctrine with Venezuela. The whole unusual military activity seems a little ominous.
I heard some military helicopters over my house in Draper recently. We used to hear them more often when we first moved here, being not far from Camp Williams. I haven’t heard them in years before a couple of days ago, though. And I work from home, so I’m there a lot to hear (or not hear) them.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2019, 1:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
Yes there has been lots of activity in Utah Valley lately. I see blackhawk and apache helicopters flying while I am up in the mountains.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2019, 2:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanskeUtahn View Post
Yes there has been lots of activity in Utah Valley lately. I see blackhawk and apache helicopters flying while I am up in the mountains.
It is probably more training by the national guard helicopters, as mentioned in the article below.

https://kutv.com/news/local/utah-nat...salt-lake-city

Old Posted Mar 4, 2019, 2:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blah_Amazing View Post
It is probably more training by the national guard helicopters, as mentioned in the article below.

https://kutv.com/news/local/utah-nat...salt-lake-city
Interestingly, the article shows a helicopter on top of the Wells Fargo Building. This made me look at the tower more closely and realize the WFB has two helipads on top that I had no idea existed.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2019, 4:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blah_Amazing View Post
Interestingly, the article shows a helicopter on top of the Wells Fargo Building. This made me look at the tower more closely and realize the WFB has two helipads on top that I had no idea existed.
Back in the day, Channel 2 had a news helicopter that I believe used the rooftop helipad since their studios are in the building:

Old Posted Mar 4, 2019, 6:07 PM

While walking on Saturday night I noticed these pictures near the back of what I think is the Kearns building (I was cutting through the Zions Bank parking lot towards Arrow Press Square on my way to Blue Iguana, to give you reference of location). Does anyone know what is going on here, is an interior renovation of that building going on?

[IMG] by , on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted Mar 4, 2019, 6:40 PM
They all float down here

Quote:
I have been busy and didn't get a chance to bring this up when I first read the post.

Sure, SLC has had 4 300+' buildings built in the last 19 years but things are definitely changing. Before the end of this year, we will have at least 2 300+' buildings under construction, Tower 8 and the CCH.
This is not a factual statement, though. We hope to have these two buildings under construction by year-end, however, it's not a given, especially the CCH, which has been projected to be under construction now for the last decade.

I like your point but it's all based on a lot of conjecture. I'd be surprised if half of those developments are actually under construction within the next five years. Still, your point doesn't really counter my point - that we're going to be waiting a real long time before we see a bunch of 15-30 story buildings downtown. I guess 'a bunch' is subjective - but I'd wager that's more than two.

It's infinitely more realistic to assume a 500 footer is developed downtown than ten-plus 300-foot towers over the span of the next ten years.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2019, 11:16 PM

The two helipads on top of WF still rock the American Stores logo, from the building's previous owners. The little circle in the middle has an elevator that only goes between floors 26 and 24. 26 is the roof, 25 is the sub-roof with all the equipment, and 24 was the American Stores CEO's office. You have to change from one elevator to the full building ones on 24. So the CEO could fly in, have a private elevator to their offices, and not have to mingle with the rest of the building.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2019, 5:45 AM

I saw some workers putting down sidewalk markings on 100 South in front of the Tower 8 site. It's getting closer.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West