HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Apr 24, 2021, 11:33 AM

Halifax council votes for tax increase, reduced services

Another classic Pam Berman story here:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-...ease-1.5998802

It would almost seem that one of the dozens of HRM spin doctors sent a suggested headline and story to Berman and she just ran with it verbatim.

So despite a huge deed transfer tax windfall and growth in the assessment roll, our council could not resist spending even more than that would cover, so they are raising the average tax bill yet again. This one is a bit different than the usual chicanery that most citizens seemed to always ignore, though. This time there were dozens of people making their voices heard during the process, speaking out against giving the police more money or spending on other useless things. Yet our tone-deaf council spent anyway. Some, like Mason, Austin and Morse, wanted an even bigger tax increase. How out of touch can this bunch be?

Old Posted May 6, 2021, 4:32 PM

$1 million for traffic calming on top of the 40 million for bike lanes.

I see you call the council out a lot in your posts. I do the exact same thing. If only we had a dozen more or so people
who brought it up on a regular basis and it would be impossible for the politicians and media to ignore. The cowardness in this town is beyond
belief when it comes to saying no the bike lane lobby. The hyper sensitivity toward cycling organizations is beyond f***ing belief.

Young and Isleville is now so cluttered with curb bumps, concrete barriers, and reflective stick-things that it has been rendered unusable, so I have to drive all the way around to Novalea to avoid the intersection completely. This is what they want to do to every intersection and street in the HRM.

The fact is there's a culture of people that progressives enable who simply make a living of finding problems so they can use as leverage for extortion.

The cyclists are getting 40 million dollars for bike lanes in Halifax. Nobody else is getting this. Cyclists are not underfunded in HRM quite the opposite,
they get more than their fair share of resources. Cyclists make up 1% of the population yet somehow everything needs to go through them for approval.
Halifax knows the only voices that get heard are those in the activist community. It's very clear they want the city to revolve around cycling grievances 24/7.

Apparently every square inch of road in HRM needs to be dedicated to cycling ideology and propaganda. No thank you.

I can't help but notice that vague allegations of discrimination against cyclists are always followed up by monetary demands and demands the cyclists basically take over.

Old Posted May 6, 2021, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Crow Whisperer View Post
$1 million for traffic calming on top of the 40 million for bike lanes.

I see you call the council out a lot in your posts. I do the exact same thing. If only we had a dozen more or so people
who brought it up on a regular basis and it would be impossible for the politicians and media to ignore. The cowardness in this town is beyond
belief when it comes to saying no the bike lane lobby. The hyper sensitivity toward cycling organizations is beyond f***ing belief.

Young and Isleville is now so cluttered with curb bumps, concrete barriers, and reflective stick-things that it has been rendered unusable, so I have to drive all the way around to Novalea to avoid the intersection completely. This is what they want to do to every intersection and street in the HRM.

The fact is there's a culture of people that progressives enable who simply make a living of finding problems so they can use as leverage for extortion.

The cyclists are getting 40 million dollars for bike lanes in Halifax. Nobody else is getting this. Cyclists are not underfunded in HRM quite the opposite,
they get more than their fair share of resources. Cyclists make up 1% of the population yet somehow everything needs to go through them for approval.
Halifax knows the only voices that get heard are those in the activist community. It's very clear they want the city to revolve around cycling grievances 24/7.

Apparently every square inch of road in HRM needs to be dedicated to cycling ideology and propaganda. No thank you.

I can't help but notice that vague allegations of discrimination against cyclists are always followed up by monetary demands and demands the cyclists basically take over.
Amen Brother Amen. I popped on the subreddit forum for the Halifax cycling coalition and oh my, Koolaid all over the place . The sense of entitlement for as you say the 1% was truly breath taking. The folks seem to think they have right to take at least a lane from Portland Street all the way up the hill to Cole Harbour because they have the "right ' I tell you the "right" to feel safe. To Quote Keith . Buy a Car.

Old Posted May 6, 2021, 6:04 PM
Somewhat Pretentious

Hey everyone I‘ve found a 100% accurate artwork of the HCC! They do indeed look very menacing to motorists! No wonder people fear them so much, how could I be so blind?

Source: Pinterest

Old Posted May 6, 2021, 6:24 PM

This is an accurate photograph.

The amount of delusional narcissism from the cycling activists is beyond belief. They complain cycling infrastructure is underfunded
in HRM but it seems to me they get more than their fair share of taxpayer resources directed at them. The unused, always-empty palatial, extravagant
bike shelters at the Lacewood Bus terminal are barely a fraction of a percent of that. These folks just take and take and act like they are doing everybody a favour. They also pretend to be experts in all things urban planning and urban design but they
are ignorant and proud of it when it comes to city things like traffic flow. They exhibit the same behaviours they accuse car drivers of, and expect
everyone should just have to deal with it.

The fetishizing and martyrdom of the plight of cyclists seems to be a pathology that
several politicians exploit for their own issues. Cyclists
are treated like a perennial cause by progressives. I hear the same rhetoric for years: the need to "invest" in cycling infrastructure and so on.
I often hear the demand to invest in "active transportation" but it seems to be more handouts to the same activists who have no job except to demand we invest in "active transportation."

As a rate payer I've never felt included in the decision making process or be able to have any clout whatsoever. They shut out most of the city and only focus on the 1% of the population that uses bike lanes. The city staff recommendations always cater exclusively on cyclist wants, directing taxpayer funds and power to cyclists exclusively.

The hyper sensitivity to cyclist grievances and the open hostility to drivers openly espoused is beyond belief.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Business, Politics & the Economy