HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Aug 29, 2012, 4:36 PM

Apparently, UA will be home to the country's largest Starbucks when the new one opens in the Ferguson Center.

http://cw.ua.edu/2012/08/28/largest-...g-to-the-ferg/

Old Posted Aug 30, 2012, 2:45 AM

Does anyone have a pic of the frontside of the newly renovated Russell Hall? That is what I am most curious about. It was SUCH an ugly building.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2012, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlanta68 View Post
Does anyone have a pic of the frontside of the newly renovated Russell Hall? That is what I am most curious about. It was SUCH an ugly building.
Construction of the new facade hasn't been completed yet.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2012, 11:55 PM

Thanks Feeno! I appreciate those of you who keep us up to date.

I posted a link to this site at CC, and they deleted my thread! lol

I think it is a stupid policy. Oh well.

They said I could only post photos from UA's website.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2012, 5:09 AM

Pics of Newly Renovated Russell Hall

I took a few cellphone pics of UA on a recent campus visit. http://s560.photobucket.com/albums/ss47/bamainatlanta/ is the link to all the pics. The last ones in the album are from the past. But most are new and include shots of newly renovated Russell Hall. Sorry I didn't have a better camera. I tried to insert them directly but it didn't work. Anyone know how to do that?

Old Posted Oct 5, 2012, 10:23 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Btw, does anyone know what is being constructed on University next to the new frat houses. The footprint is too big to be another frat, and the magnitude of movement and work means it can't be a parking lot. I remember that the trustees approved the construction of an office building on University a few years back, could that be it?

In other news, Farrah is getting a new elevator! It will finally bring the building up to the ADA requirements, or at least very close to it. As it is, the 2nd floor (the most used one) isn't serviced by the elevator.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2012, 3:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattordici View Post
Btw, does anyone know what is being constructed on University next to the new frat houses. The footprint is too big to be another frat, and the magnitude of movement and work means it can't be a parking lot. I remember that the trustees approved the construction of an office building on University a few years back, could that be it?

In other news, Farrah is getting a new elevator! It will finally bring the building up to the ADA requirements, or at least very close to it. As it is, the 2nd floor (the most used one) isn't serviced by the elevator.
I think it's two more fraternity houses. I forgot what they are but I read in the CW the other day that that is what is going in there. The office building is going on the corner of University and the road that goes to the Rec (I forget that road name) but they haven't started on it yet. They're probably waiting to rack in the $30 a car parking fee while they still can before they move some dirt.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2012, 3:30 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamastu13 View Post
I think it's two more fraternity houses. I forgot what they are but I read in the CW the other day that that is what is going in there. The office building is going on the corner of University and the road that goes to the Rec (I forget that road name) but they haven't started on it yet. They're probably waiting to rack in the $30 a car parking fee while they still can before they move some dirt.
I dunno... I mean, I know my grad studies keep me busy, but I haven't noticed a piece in the CW about a new frat house. Like I said, it seems WAY too large a footprint to be a frat house.

Maybe i's just wishful thinking...

Old Posted Oct 6, 2012, 6:03 AM

I actually think the new frat houses make a great intro to campus, though there is one that looks bigger than newly renovated Russell Hall! It is so gaudy. I heard that UA had to make the other houses bigger to avoid a look of incongruence with the big gaudy one!

Anyway, I hope someday that at least some of these Greek houses become honors dorms!

Anyone know when Gorgas Library will be expanded? I know it was approved about two years ago, but I have yet to see any movement on it.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2012, 4:46 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
I actually think the new frat houses make a great intro to campus, though there is one that looks bigger than newly renovated Russell Hall! It is so gaudy. I heard that UA had to make the other houses bigger to avoid a look of incongruence with the big gaudy one!

Anyway, I hope someday that at least some of these Greek houses become honors dorms!

Anyone know when Gorgas Library will be expanded? I know it was approved about two years ago, but I have yet to see any movement on it.
I've been wondering the same thing. The ferg expansion is supposed to start in the next couple of months but I have yet to hear a timetable for Gorgas. I'd hoped both projects would be finished before I finish my masters, but that's looking very unlikely.

I'm petty sure you're speaking of the ATO house, that thing is ugly.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2012, 10:02 PM

Quote:
I dunno... I mean, I know my grad studies keep me busy, but I haven't noticed a piece in the CW about a new frat house. Like I said, it seems WAY too large a footprint to be a frat house.

Maybe i's just wishful thinking...
I knew I had read it somewhere...

http://cw.ua.edu/2012/09/18/sigmachihouseheadline/

The last paragraph of this article says that they are building two new Fraternity houses next to Sigma Chi and Phi Delt they will be Theta Chi and Pi Kappa Phi.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2012, 11:11 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamastu13 View Post
I knew I had read it somewhere...

http://cw.ua.edu/2012/09/18/sigmachihouseheadline/

The last paragraph of this article says that they are building two new Fraternity houses next to Sigma Chi and Phi Delt they will be Theta Chi and Pi Kappa Phi.
Thanx for the article! I guess two houses makes sense, since it's such a large site. But, gah.... these stupid houses are starting to make parts of the campus look like sprawl.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2012, 4:21 AM

Quote:
Thanx for the article! I guess two houses makes sense, since it's such a large site. But, gah.... these stupid houses are starting to make parts of the campus look like sprawl.
I know, I wonder what they will do with the old houses, I know some are being bought by other fraternities but there aren't that many extra fraternities in need of houses.

There is also this article about future development on Fraternity and Sorority rows. You know that the Sororities have to keep up too:

http://blog.al.com/tuscaloosa/2012/0..._taking_s.html

Old Posted Oct 21, 2012, 3:27 PM

http://acresummit.ua.edu/store/store...Walker-207.pdf This link shows renderings of all of the new sorority and frat houses going up on campus. Also has other renderings of new construction. Found it at the UA.edu site.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2012, 6:34 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
http://acresummit.ua.edu/store/store...Walker-207.pdf This link shows renderings of all of the new sorority and frat houses going up on campus. Also has other renderings of new construction. Found it at the UA.edu site.
Thanx for the link! I actually really like the renderings for those last two frat houses. While they're still gonna make campus feel more like a sprawling suburb, at least they have character.

Great link though, really answers some questions, haha.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 3:57 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Campus construction update

Farrah Hall elevator

Work progressing, bout 75% finished. Additionally, it has become an utter nuisance to me during my office hours....

Gorgas expansion

The Crimson White reports that the expansion will begin soon and that the facade of the expansion will more closely resemble the rest of campus than the current exterior.

Ferg expansion

To begin soon. The "UA Student News" email I got today said that within the next few days the bike racks on the south side of the Ferg will be removed due to the forthcoming expansion.

National Water Center

Seems like the "skeleton" of the building is complete.

Riverside parking deck

First level columns are complete.

Random frat houses

Skeleton finished.

North Research Building

Exterior is mostly complete; installation of columns is starting.

That's all I can think of right now. I rarely leave Farrah, so I don't see much of campus.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 11:58 PM
Constant Vigilance!

Quote:

Gorgas expansion

The Crimson White reports that the expansion will begin soon and that the facade of the expansion will more closely resemble the rest of campus than the current exterior.
They're not planning on destroying, sorry replacing, the entrance from the quad are they?

Old Posted Mar 14, 2013, 6:58 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunder89 View Post
They're not planning on destroying, sorry replacing, the entrance from the quad are they?
Oh no; the expansion will be toward Clark Hall.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2013, 5:02 AM
Cat Enthusiast

As I'm sure most of us are aware of, Coach Moore is stepping down as the University's athletic director.

Coach Moore (having interacted with him personally) is a gracious man and I am sure that Judy will pick a great successor.

Old Posted May 17, 2013, 3:33 AM
Cat Enthusiast

The University seems to be planting trees like a madman... Al Gore would be proud.

Also, it looks like the University is installing a number of those ornamental streetlamps along University all the way to the nursing building. In addition, it seems they're also doing some sidewalk introduction/improvement between the nursing building and a construction site at the corner of University and 5th Ave. That construction site might be the UA System office building that had been approved years ago and was supposed to be plopped down in that vicinity.

Digging is still going on at the Ferg for the expansion.

Gorgas expansion has yet to begin.

Columns are being erected at the final building of the SEC.

Window replacement at ten Hoor is ongoing, and they actually seem to make a pretty good difference.

Elevator in Farrah has been completed (building is now accessible to people in wheelchairs on all floors; the main floor has been inaccessible for... decades). However, I don't refer to it as an elevator, rather as "Dr. Brommer's Office" (the elevator shaft is located where his office used to be).

The memorial wall for national championship coaches is still being constructed, but is looking much better than I expected it would. It's actually quite substantial, and its characterization as being a "wall" is pretty inaccurate.

National Water Center has some of its crowning masonry affixed. The dome is covered, but it doesn't appear that the final surface has been applied.

The Riverside Parking Deck is about 2.5 levels high at the moment. The rendering they've posted out front of the construction site looks pretty nice.

Oh yea... the Kilgore House is now being dismantled...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast