HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Nov 22, 2008, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTinSF View Post
The California St line is absolutely not "overrun with tourists". I have NEVER been unable to board the first car to pass me or leave if I'm at either end of the line. I can't say if it's faster than the 1 bus but it's a whole lot more pleasant.

I do NOT wish the California St line would be extended because the tourists have all they need now to keep them entertained and it works well for locals as it is.

You go ride one of Muni's lousy jerky busses with their cranky drivers and leave my cable car, with its smiling operators, to me and Amanita. We know how to get around our town.

PS--Along with thousands of other San Franciscans, I'd rather ride the Market St. streetcars than the subway too.
I clearly said that the California line was NOT overrun with tourists but WAS duplicated by several faster, much cheaper to operate trolleybus lines. The expense of operation SHOULD mean that the line cater to tourists - they cost more per passenger than any other transit form in town. Too me, that means that their purpose is tourism - or they have none. Otherwise, we should invest the money in other transit used by more people to make the city function.

I agree on the Market St streetcars though, just wish that there were more of them so that they weren't so crowded.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2008, 8:04 PM

I rode the Market Street streetcar, but I thought it was a little too slow. Too many slow downs for lights and too much time spent waiting for the crowds to board. So I preferred the subway where boarding/alighting the vehicles was much quicker. (though it is nice to be above ground where you can see what's happening - kind of why it's nice to sometimes take the brown line here in Chicago even though it takes a little more time to get downtown than taking the red line through the subway)

Old Posted Nov 27, 2008, 8:59 AM

OhioGuy, glad you fell in love with our city. When you live here you here never ending criticism of just everything about it, but what you captured in your pics, shows this certain feeling you get here - if you pay attention - that makes all the alleged bad stuff face away. BTW if you look at your pic of great highway ( at the beach) and you see the road in the foreground and the sand dunes on the right - follow that ridge of san dunes to the big hill way in the distance and you're pretty much on top of the spot where the San Andreas Fault runs offshore, west of the gg bridge then back onshore in Marin County at Point Reyes. The land on the other side of that fault is bringing Los Angles ever closer to SF inch by inch - it'll take a while to get here but we are dreading it anyway....click and zoom: http://geology.com/san-andreas-fault/

Old Posted Nov 27, 2008, 5:19 PM
Environmental Sabotage

Great pictues! There are a lot of wonderful SF threads on this board right now.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2010, 12:03 AM

those are some pretty cool photos.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2010, 2:20 AM
Motor City Mountaineer

Well, I hope you had fun in the Castro, it's always fun, but especially during events like that. These pictures define why I love San Francisco and Northern California so much. Absolutely breathtaking and stunning. Simply one of the best SF threads I've ever seen on here. I see you made it to Sausalito as well, a very beautiful town. Thank you so much.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2010, 3:00 AM
International

Quote:
Originally Posted by RST500 View Post
those are some pretty cool photos.
...is your sole purpose on this forum to dredge up old SF threads?

Old Posted Aug 18, 2010, 2:17 PM

RST500 & whatsthepoint13, thanks for the compliments!

Old Posted Aug 18, 2010, 6:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingofthehill View Post
...is your sole purpose on this forum to dredge up old SF threads?
Yeah he wants to remind you that SF > LA.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2010, 6:29 PM
International

Quote:
Originally Posted by destroycreate View Post
Yeah he wants to remind you that SF > LA.
Still have your inferiority complex to Los Angeles, I see. Anyways, with all due respect, comparing the two is a joke, and I am just going by any range of population metrics. Both are great cities in their own, unique ways.

Fortunately, it is only recent transplants to SF such as yourself who wish to pit the cities against each other. Not to get any further into this, but I am sure that you notice that it is only one side who is bent on making dirty remarks about the other, while the other side is non-chalent and could care less. Anyways, nobody's losing any sleep over your childish statements

Old Posted Aug 18, 2010, 6:51 PM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingofthehill View Post
Still have your inferiority complex to Los Angeles, I see. Anyways, with all due respect, comparing the two is a joke, and I am just going by any range of population metrics. Both are great cities in their own, unique ways.

Fortunately, it is only recent transplants to SF such as yourself who wish to pit the cities against each other. Not to get any further into this, but I am sure that you notice that it is only one side who is bent on making dirty remarks about the other, while the other side is non-chalent and could care less. Anyways, nobody's losing any sleep over your childish statements
Just knock it off. It is indeed annoying that this noob keeps dredging up SF threads from prior years, but that's not against the rules and you should just ignore it if it bothers you.

Destroycreate: knock it off. You were banned from this forum for a reason and quite frankly I don't know why you were allowed to return.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2010, 7:06 PM
Registered Ugly

Personally, I like it when old beauts are brought back from the dead. Very nice bump from the 2 year slump.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2010, 11:20 PM
Old Fart Forumer

^ I agree. I missed this one the first time around. It's sad to think of how many great pics of great cities I've missed over the years. Glad to see this one. Wonderful tour of a city that can get in your system and not let go. Belated thanks OG.

btw, is the guy on the right any kin to our Don B?

Retired, now Grandpa Daycare

Old Posted Aug 22, 2010, 3:46 AM

oh wow! An absolutely gorgeous city. Glad it was brought back to life.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2010, 4:58 AM

Nice pictures. I missed this the first time around, so I'm glad it was bumped because I'll be in San Francisco in a little over a month.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2013, 8:47 PM
testify

wow, a super nice thread, definitely makes sf look really good. you know, with all that's disastrously wrong with the built form in this city, you sometimes forget that some parts are reasonably attractive. it's a refreshing perspective.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2013, 8:54 PM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy as pie View Post
wow, a super nice thread, definitely makes sf look really good. you know, with all that's disastrously wrong with the built form in this city, you sometimes forget that some parts are reasonably attractive. it's a refreshing perspective.
Some parts are reasonably attractive?? Many parts are stunningly attractive despite the high number of bland/boring and/or ugly buildings that have been built since the 1950s. Almost anyone in the world will tell you how beautiful our City is!

Old Posted Feb 3, 2013, 6:40 AM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy as pie View Post
you know, with all that's disastrously wrong with the built form in this city
Where do you live?

Old Posted Feb 10, 2013, 1:21 AM
testify

live on nob hill, where little of the blight is located. i'm thinking of things like the levi's campus and actually all those weird office buildings along the embarcadero, the 1980s structures in the fidi, some of the horrible high rise infill in the lower nob side of union square, a few truly horrifying structures in the civic center (main library being the worst, but fox plaza up there, along with 1155 market and the mta building), the pretty much every building on geary st between masonic and franklin, every redevelopment-era non-market housing project in the city (and there are dozens), all of lower fillmore, and much more. a great deal of the town is handsome, but much of it is as awful as anything you'd find in saint louis or whereever, let's be honest.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2013, 6:55 PM

Edit: Stupid ass comment I made years ago, carry on, nothing to see here.

Last edited by The North One; Jun 15, 2017 at 1:47 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos