HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jun 3, 2021, 11:06 PM
Skyriser

Superior design and layout compared to the ones SF MUNI got.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2021, 11:56 PM

I rode the Muni for the first time last year. The new trains were super nice, if what we're getting is at that level then great news. The older trains I rode on were nothing short of disgusting.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2021, 4:48 PM

Tempe Street Car testing starts Tuesday night:

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...ng/7497951002/

Old Posted Jun 4, 2021, 5:52 PM
Skyriser

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
I rode the Muni for the first time last year. The new trains were super nice, if what we're getting is at that level then great news. The older trains I rode on were nothing short of disgusting.
The new muni trains have terrible layouts and bad seating. They put straight bench seats so people slide around and poles that limit multiple people sitting comfortably anyways.

I didn't see those problems in the Phoenix trains, which is good because muni is having to redesign theirs after only a few years.

https://sf.curbed.com/2020/3/10/2117...r-butt-grooves

Old Posted Jun 4, 2021, 8:39 PM

I didn't analyze them to that extent, just thought they were nice. Sorry to hear that they are not.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2021, 2:45 AM

Hi all,

I saw fires today. Came from SR-51 & Loop 101 Eastbound. I heard the news on Facebook. There is brush fires. I lookout the windows from my room upstairs. The fires is went out. So now, it's under control.

Video Link

Old Posted Jun 5, 2021, 5:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
Tempe Street Car testing starts Tuesday night:

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...ng/7497951002/
Nice! Let see how it goes. This should be great.

Please pay attention and be lookouts streetcar near you. Don't stop! Step away from the Streetcar.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2021, 1:06 AM
Modulator

Trouble with the 2-lane protected bikeway on 3rd Ave only 1 week after being opened

https://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news...ivers-11563192

Old Posted Jun 17, 2021, 11:56 AM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro View Post
Trouble with the 2-lane protected bikeway on 3rd Ave only 1 week after being opened

I wonder if how much damage there was to the car that struck the bollards? In any case, as the city's PIO points out, the bollards did their job.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2021, 4:08 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
I wonder if how much damage there was to the car that struck the bollards? In any case, as the city's PIO points out, the bollards did their job.
True. But I also wonder how long the car was travelling in the bike lanes? Looking at the pic below, that bollard is just before Culver. I think the only other spots they could have gotten in the bike lanes was from Portland or the Friendship Garden parking lot (not sure if they hit another bollard when they turned from either). That's a good distance the vehicle may have been driving up the bike lanes. Lucky no one was in them at the time.

As far as possible car damage, I see from the picture below what looks oil or transmission fluid in front of the bollard. I don't mean to laugh, but

Edit: I meant to post this in the transportation thread. Moved to the proper place.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2021, 6:03 AM

Slow learners?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro View Post

Fox 10 also covered the fun.

Video Link

Old Posted Jun 18, 2021, 2:31 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post

Fox 10 also covered the fun.
It's typical of a Fox affiliate to blame the bike lanes rather than bad drivers for the crashes. John Hook reaffirms his usual bias by talking about "limiting traffic," even though the street had more capacity than it needed. Then Brian Webb incorrectly claims that 3rd Avenue used to be for "cars only." That statement is false. There have long been bike lanes on 3rd Avenue.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2021, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
It's typical of a Fox affiliate to blame the bike lanes rather than bad drivers for the crashes. John Hook reaffirms his usual bias by talking about "limiting traffic," even though the street had more capacity than it needed. Then Brian Webb incorrectly claims that 3rd Avenue used to be for "cars only." That statement is false. There have long been bike lanes on 3rd Avenue.
You've maintained your 'Urban' liberal antenna, I see.

"Cars only" is obviously a misstatement; I assume he meant no bike lanes previously. Removing one lane of traffic is "limiting" but whether that capacity difference is a big deal I'd assume is subject to opinion. But I'll assume they're getting along just fine - other than adapting to the new configuration.

Side note: Given the preponderance of fictitious conspiracy propaganda a few minor indiscretions is almost a relief by comparison.

--------------------------
Off-topic and a little dated but this was sooooo funy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRay View Post
I think that THIS is my ticket to the Governor's Mansion.

Desert Ray 2022--YOUR Train Candidate!

CHOO-CHOO-CHOOSE ME!

Last edited by TakeFive; Jun 18, 2021 at 9:08 PM.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2021, 11:57 AM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
You've maintained your 'Urban' liberal antenna, I see.

"Cars only" is obviously a misstatement; I assume he meant no bike lanes previously. Removing one lane of traffic is "limiting" but whether that capacity difference is a big deal I'd assume is subject to opinion. But I'll assume they're getting along just fine - other than adapting to the new configuration.

Side note: Given the preponderance of fictitious conspiracy propaganda a few minor indiscretions is almost a relief by comparison.
What you call a "liberal antenna," I call basic concern for factual accuracy. Even if Webb meant no bike lanes previously, that statement is 100% wrong. The two-way cycle track is new, but Third Avenue has had bike lanes for years. By suggesting that no bike infrastructure ever existed before, Fox 10 is not only inaccurate, it is also complicit in exoticizing bicycling. The worst of the conspiracy theorists, Kari Lake, has left that station to run for governor, but John Hook is more subtle in his bias and may therefore do more harm over the long term.

Last edited by exit2lef; Jun 19, 2021 at 7:41 PM.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2021, 1:21 PM

Everyone still has time to get on the DesertRay 2022 Train before we leave the station.

ALL ABOARD!

Old Posted Jun 19, 2021, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRay View Post
Everyone still has time to get on the DesertRay 2022 Train before we leave the station.

ALL ABOARD!
Where did you hear that? I don’t have a news about this. Is that rumors or something like that?

Old Posted Jun 20, 2021, 1:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N830MH View Post
Where did you hear that? I don’t have a news about this. Is that rumors or something like that?
I was just joking about running for office with the single idea of building rail. Pay no attention to my silliness.

In other news, the rich NIMBYs on Central killed the restriping along the Bridle Path that would included designated bike lanes and a turn lane for the extra lane of traffic. The local barons prefer to deal with extra speeding cars ramming them than those o-so-dangerous bicyclists. Idiots.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2021, 1:39 PM

I'm very upset about that but the more I think about it the more I realize that with the existence of the suicide lanes on the 7s it would be a disaster.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2021, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
I'm very upset about that but the more I think about it the more I realize that with the existence of the suicide lanes on the 7s it would be a disaster.
I agree with you on the 7th Suicide lanes, but I think making portions of Central two lanes (with a dedicated central turn lane) makes a hell of a lot of sense. There are lots of people on that path, and bicyclists are already using Central. Once you get north of Bethany Home, traffic really drops off, and it would likely help keep that part of town more small-town like. Most folks don't commute that far north on Central, since it jogs over. I think they missed a huge opportunity by knuckling under.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2021, 1:42 AM

Apologies if this is a wrong question for this forum, but I have a random query for those knowledgeable about construction in this area.

Loop 101 between Pima and I17 (which I drive daily) looks like it’s nearing the end of the 3+ year expansion. Question is…. Will it remain as the all concrete highway it currently is…. with a sort of half-finished look? Or will there be a layer of asphalt on top to make it look brand spanking new with full reflectors and all that ??

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest