HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Aug 1, 2019, 9:17 PM

Thanks Stenar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.p.hansen View Post
Big, if true!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenar View Post
It’s located just to the right side (north side) of the main entrance to Nordstrom from the central plaza in the interior of the block. I guess it's going where the Chico's store was, which has relocated.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2019, 2:28 AM

This is a little off subject and a little trip down memory lane but does anybody

out there remember the tiny little Snappy Service Lunch that was where the Tower 8 hole is now and before this corner was a park? It was on State Street
a little south of the Belvedere Apartment Building.

Also there was an 8-story Key bank Building where the southwest corner of the

hole is now. Both of these structures were torn down probably about 15 years ago but the snappy Service lunch had a lot of character which you dont see a
lot of downtown anymore!!!

Old Posted Aug 2, 2019, 7:07 PM

Old Posted Aug 2, 2019, 10:03 PM
One Thing At A Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pencil View Post
I have been wondering if that was ever going to break ground. Glad to see it moving forward! Another great project in the Central Ninth area!

Old Posted Aug 3, 2019, 12:10 AM

Central 9th is really going to be hopping. This looks great!

Old Posted Aug 3, 2019, 12:24 AM

Does anybody know what the new building is built to the east of the new Alinea apartments on the NE corner of 2nd west and 9th south?

Old Posted Aug 3, 2019, 2:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
Does anybody know what the new building is built to the east of the new Alinea apartments on the NE corner of 2nd west and 9th south?
Infinite Scale's new office

Old Posted Aug 3, 2019, 3:14 PM

New high-rises and midsize apartment complexes going up across downtown Salt Lake City

https://www.sltrib.com/news/2019/08/...rises-midsize/

Quote:
Downtown Salt Lake City is headed in a new direction — up.

More than half a dozen new high-rises are now planned or underway in the urban core and several of them will take their place among the city’s tallest towers. Other projects will offer a new brand of luxury living high off the ground, with rooftop pools and sweeping views.

“This city is in ascension economically, and that’s being manifested on the skyline,” said Dee Brewer, executive director of the Salt Lake Chamber’s Downtown Alliance.

In addition to these freshly minted office, hotel and residential skyscrapers, developers are putting up at least a dozen midsize apartment buildings, which will join more than 20 sizable complexes constructed in Utah’s capital since 2011 that are now full.

This apartment construction is helping Salt Lake City realize a long-held goal of boosting its permanent population (now above 200,000) — although a majority of the dwellings will be rented at luxury or market rates even as the city struggles from a dire lack of affordable housing.

The trends toward height, luxury and adding people are part of a remarkable upsurge in real estate development in the city, much of it led by out-of-state investors.

“Downtown is off the charts,” said Kip Paul, vice chairman of investment sales at Cushman & Wakefield, a leading Salt Lake City real estate brokerage.
Quote:
Projects illustrating this trajectory include:

• A 28-story Convention Center Hotel, set to rise by 2022 on the southeast corner of the existing Salt Palace, at 200 South and West Temple.

• 95 State at City Creek, a 28-story office tower now going up at 100 South and State Street and set for completion in fall 2021. It’s being built by City Creek Reserve, a development arm of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, which also put up 111 Main.

• Word is that developers behind another major office project called 650 Main are now set to proceed with the first of two 10-story office towers side by side at 600 South West Temple.

• Liberty Sky, a new 24-story luxury residential tower at 151 S. State, being built by Cowboy Partners and The Boyer Co.

• Chicago-area developer Brinshore intends to build two residential towers a few blocks away, at 255 S. State, at 14 and seven stories, respectively, in a project backed by nearly $11 million in loans by the city’s Redevelopment Agency.

• Nearby, a Boston real estate firm called Kensington Investment is touting a 0.69-acre plot at 75 E. 200 South — currently home to a Carl’s Jr. restaurant — for what insiders say could be another apartment high-rise, this one some 23 stories tall.

• The Block 67 project — dubbed The West Quarter by developer The Ritchie Group — which would cover the block bounded by 100 South and 200 South from 200 West to 300 West, including what is known now as Royal Wood Plaza.

• The Exchange, a two-building project now taking shape along 400 South, where the former Barnes Bank Building and Salt Lake Roasting Co. once stood.
[QUOTE]Overall, the city’s spate of new high-rise and apartment projects — and others like them still in negotiations and not yet made public — reflects a crucial financial turning point for the state as a whole, judging from the sheer volume of projects./QUOTE]

Old Posted Aug 3, 2019, 6:01 PM
SLC Lifer

[QUOTE=Makid;8648741]New high-rises and midsize apartment complexes going up across downtown Salt Lake City

https://www.sltrib.com/news/2019/08/...rises-midsize/

Quote:
Overall, the city’s spate of new high-rise and apartment projects — and others like them still in negotiations and not yet made public — reflects a crucial financial turning point for the state as a whole, judging from the sheer volume of projects./QUOTE]
Thanks Makid. First mention to my knowledge of the mythical Carl's Junior tower. Exciting times.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2019, 11:50 PM

I hope the Carl's Jr. tower is even taller than that, but it's nice to hear something to substantiate the rumors.

I noticed there was no mention of 370 Millennium (is that what it was called?). I hope that's still going forward.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2019, 12:39 AM

In addition to 370 Millenium, I assume Regent Street Hotel project is dead?

Old Posted Aug 4, 2019, 3:12 PM

Cool update Makid. Nice to hear something a bit more concrete about the Carl's jr. proposal.
It's becoming difficult to believe Liberty Sky is really going to happen in the near future.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2019, 4:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMK View Post
Infinite Scale's new office
Cool. They are doing some amazing work!
I can't seem to post the rendering of the building, but here's the link:
https://www.google.com/search?q=infi...deALXBB1Z25JM:

http://infinitescale.com/

Old Posted Aug 5, 2019, 6:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
Cool. They are doing some amazing work!
I can't seem to post the rendering of the building, but here's the link:
https://www.google.com/search?q=infi...deALXBB1Z25JM:

http://infinitescale.com/
Infinite Scale building

Old Posted Aug 5, 2019, 3:20 PM
SLC Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blah_Amazing View Post
Infinite Scale building
I've had the pleasure of working them on this project and Infinite Scale is an amazing company. They do experiential sports venue design. User-level activation, art, flow, vendor design etc. Levi's stadium, Olympics and a bunch of other projects There might be another firm in America specializing in this type of stuff but I don't know of them. Design is by Atlas, who own C9 market, the Big Tobacco project (Atlas offices and Blue copper Coffee) and they designed the upcoming Spyhop HQ. People could write a book about what they have done in C9. They have built a whole community. Creative office, residential, retail, education. C9 is special because it has such a great mix of uses, old, new and everything in between. A great model of urban renewal. Just need the city to pull its head out and complete the streetscape improvements that they designed ten years ago.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2019, 3:39 PM

I wonder how Atlas has literally "cornered" that market there. I used to work with and go to school with one of their head guys.

Does anyone know when the bike shop is going to be constructed, and the new apartment building?

Last edited by Orlando; Aug 5, 2019 at 8:01 PM.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2019, 4:24 PM

My friend was looking at an apartment in the 4th West Apartments and they told him that a Lee's Marketplace was going to be opening up in the ground floor retail space. I remember when this building was first announced that they wanted a grocery store there. Lee's Marketplace is an Associated Food Stores grocer with locations in Logan, Ogden, and recently opened in North Salt Lake.

Between this and The Store opening at The Gateway, it seems like the long awaited west side grocery need will finally be addressed.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2019, 3:59 PM

Speaking of 4th West, I was looking at the website and interiors of some of the recently finished Hardware Projects. Very nice.

Images @ - https://hardwareapartments.com/gallery/ - Hardware WEST

Old Posted Aug 6, 2019, 4:33 PM

Another Central 9th project

Old Posted Aug 7, 2019, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvland View Post
Fleet Block rezone open house is next Monday: https://www.slc.gov/planning/2019/06...-block-rezone/

Be interesting to see if they go all-in for CG or do the D-2 zigzag that makes no sense between 300 and 400 west. CG is much preferred as it is way more flexible. Or perhaps a new zoning?
An update: it looks like their proposal is for a new form-based zoning code. It's proposed to be classified FB-UN3 (FB-UN2 is what Central Ninth is zoned, the other form-based zoning codes exist on the west side of Sugarhouse - the 21st South/7th East area and adjacent portion of the S-line.

As a budding zoning nerd I think this looks like a really good zoning proposal. It seems that basically anything in the multi-family residential, commercial, office, and light industrial uses is allowed, and it has higher height limits than the other form-based zoning areas. I'm generally pro-form based zoning, as I feel that they are good at both creating vibrant mixed-use areas while still creating a sense of place and character, although they don't work in all areas.

http://www.slcdocs.com/Planning/Plan...ing%20Memo.pdf

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West