HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Sep 19, 2020, 10:08 PM
E pluribus unum

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
Needles is by far the greatest city in California.
No, it's (metro) Barstow.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2020, 10:58 PM

Catcus city.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2020, 1:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikemike View Post
By inland I am referring to the hinterlands of the state, away from the major coastal metro areas (including Pasadena etc)

I challenge your notion that the California dream as laypeople today use it (people outside of California most importantly) refers to the San Joaquin valley. That’s just untrue boosterism. The SJV is unequivocally considered an armpit locale of second choice.
Lake Tahoe does factor into public consciousness when discussing desirable areas of California.

Stupid question time: Why isn't there a push to build more firebreaks in the forests? I can't imagine why carving 500ft wide vegetation free corridors through some of the most at risk areas would prevent some of these fires from going so out of control.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2020, 1:46 AM
An Optimistic Realist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisLA View Post
Ok what else, now we are having an earthquake. I was about getting the family up and run downstairs and go outside in my boxers. We just got in the bed, hopefully no more shaking tonight.
Just remembered my windows shaking a bit more than usual while watching a YouTube video on the meaning of the song "Hotel California".

It's like being always on edge living here. Wildfires, earthquakes, inequality, homelessness, political mismanagement mixed in with the great weather, beautiful scenery, creative/tech economic opportunities, and decent safety net.

And legal weed and soon to be legal psychedelics in the next few years.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2020, 5:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qubert View Post
Lake Tahoe does factor into public consciousness when discussing desirable areas of California.

Stupid question time: Why isn't there a push to build more firebreaks in the forests? I can't imagine why carving 500ft wide vegetation free corridors through some of the most at risk areas would prevent some of these fires from going so out of control.
It might help stop a front of fire but won't help with spot fires. Even in moderate winds, forest fires spot thousands of feet, sometimes a couple miles away

Old Posted Sep 20, 2020, 5:19 PM
ride or die

Quote:

Of course we interior CA has beautiful natural resources. And of course there are nice homes to be found even in the hellhole of Bakersfield; clearly exceptions exist for every situation. But the California dream as it’s commonly known is traditionally predicated on coastal living - LA, SD, S.F. that is fairly obvious.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2020, 9:27 PM

Quote:
Which is why when speaking of the California Dream, one is always referring to just the coastal region, whether or not one realizes it.

The rest of California is highly undesirable, and has never been part of this understanding of the Dream
OMG! The entire northern third of the state is green, lush and beautiful and so are the mountains that run down its eastern edge almost to LA. It's really only the Central Valley and southern desert that's boring and not terribly attractive (except to desert fans and there are some) but even those have their important values for things as diverse as recreation (dune buggies, off-road vehicles) and solar power production on an industrial scale.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2020, 9:29 PM

Quote:
Needles is by far the greatest city in California.
If you really, really, REALLY like cantaloupe, that might be true. The melons grown in the Colorado valley are spectacular.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2020, 9:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
OMG! The entire northern third of the state is green, lush and beautiful and so are the mountains that run down its eastern edge almost to LA. It's really only the Central Valley and southern desert that's boring and not terribly attractive (except to desert fans and there are some) but even those have their important values for things as diverse as recreation (dune buggies, off-road vehicles) and solar power production on an industrial scale.
It is possible to like both the deserts and forest landscapes. All kinds of people do. Variety. The mild deserts in winter and forests in summer. Perfect. Col. Laurence when asked why he liked the desert said "because it's clean".

Old Posted Sep 20, 2020, 9:52 PM
Dryer lint inspector

I love the CA desert. Palm Springs area hell even Mojave.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2020, 9:56 PM

Quote:
Which is why when speaking of the California Dream, one is always referring to just the coastal region, whether or not one realizes it.

The rest of California is highly undesirable, and has never been part of this understanding of the Dream
Worthless! For sale cheap to the Canadians or anybody else who wants it:

Yosemite

https://www.thephotoargus.com/yosemite-valley-photos/

Mt. Shasta

https://www.istockphoto.com/photos/m...rt=mostpopular

Lake Tahoe

https://www.planetware.com/californi...-us-ca-550.htm

Old Posted Sep 20, 2020, 10:03 PM

Quote:
I love . . . Mojave.
The town or the desert?

The town always seemed to me like a collection of gas stations and now it's bypassed completely by highway 58.

As for the desert, I much prefer the Sonoran Desert to the Mojave. It has much more plant and animal diversity.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2020, 12:00 AM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
The town or the desert?

The town always seemed to me like a collection of gas stations and now it's bypassed completely by highway 58.

As for the desert, I much prefer the Sonoran Desert to the Mojave. It has much more plant and animal diversity.
yeah i’ve been to mojave the town lol

Old Posted Sep 21, 2020, 12:17 AM
BANNED

I'm so stoked on the up coming winter season! Bring back the spring of 2019 when the same burned up areas were buried in record snow depth. So stoked to wax up the dusty board.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2020, 10:45 PM

The discussion of the coast really being the dream of California really depends on who you ask. Yes the coast is the stereotypical dream of California but for many the dream does indeed lie in the Central Valley. Many immigrants, Punjabis and Latinos come to mind, found their dream in owning and farming land. For Punjabis the CV was reminiscient of their homeland. The Central Valley has a greater population than most states, albeit most of this is in the Sacramento Valley and not the SJV.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2020, 11:36 PM
Resu Deretsiger

Quote:
Make lakes great again!

Quote:
Cal fire and PG&E have made more here, meanwhile Napa county still have trees all over their power poles. Freaking idiots.
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanadvocate View Post
The discussion of the coast really being the dream of California really depends on who you ask. Yes the coast is the stereotypical dream of California but for many the dream does indeed lie in the Central Valley. Many immigrants, Punjabis and Latinos come to mind, found their dream in owning and farming land. For Punjabis the CV was reminiscient of their homeland. The Central Valley has a greater population than most states, albeit most of this is in the Sacramento Valley and not the SJV.
My interpretation was always the ability to go to whatever climate or "natural setting" that you so desire.
Oh, and So Cal is great to visit but never live there hahahahahah. Pretty sure they say the same?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions