HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

35 Hudson Yards in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Sep 4, 2014, 1:34 PM
New Yorker for life

I'm not liking these new renders...

http://hudsonyardsnewyork.com/living-here

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2014, 2:29 PM

The last design was far superior. What a shame.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2014, 2:34 PM

looks like an overhaul. New architect?

Old Posted Sep 4, 2014, 2:35 PM

Old Posted Sep 4, 2014, 3:37 PM

Old Posted Sep 4, 2014, 3:45 PM

I said it before; and I should've added "Mark My Words" to it.

They're gonna value engineer/dumb down/needlessly tinker with this whole damned area till there are boxes as far as the eye can see.

Next thing to go will be the ob deck plate on 30H. Watch it happen; you heard it here first .

Cheap, unimaginative jerks..............

Old Posted Sep 4, 2014, 4:13 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post
looks like an overhaul. New architect?

No, same architect. David Childs is tinkering with it, and will likely continue to tinker with it until it is already under construction. I don't like this latest version, but it has changed so much I don't really feel that this is what will get built.

Quote:
35 Hudson Yards

Designed by classic New York architect David Childs/SOM, 35 Hudson Yards will elevate urban living and be one of the most dynamic places to live in New York City. In addition to luxury residences, 35 Hudson Yards will feature a 175-room best-in-class Luxury Hotel. 35 Hudson Yards overlooks the Hudson River and grand Public Square. Sophisticated and elegantly designed, the building will boast cinematic views and unparalleled services.

•One of the tallest residential buildings in New York at 1000 feet in height

•79 stories

•175-room Luxury Hotel with a Ballroom and Spa

•24/7 concierge attended lobby

•Prominently located where the Public Square joins the new Hudson Park and Boulevard on West 33rd Street between Tenth and Eleventh Avenues

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPro View Post
I said it before; and I should've added "Mark My Words" to it.

They're gonna value engineer/dumb down/needlessly tinker with this whole damned area till there are boxes as far as the eye can see.

Next thing to go will be the ob deck plate on 30H. Watch it happen; you heard it here first .

As far as I can see, 30HY has only gotten better design wise. They aren't gonna chop that observation deck because they are counting on it being a draw, and it will be a money maker. Fancy designs don't necessarily bring in bucks.

I really don't know why they insist on giving us these new renders of 35 at every stage when clearly they haven't settled on the finished product. This looks nothing at all like any of the previous versions. You can almost count on this version to say bye bye too.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2014, 4:25 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

So much height within a small area.

Credit: http://www.yimbynews.com/2014/09/new...rcus-more.html

And this is only phase one!

Old Posted Sep 4, 2014, 4:34 PM

@NYGuy;

I don't know...YIMBY seems to havr already presented this as somewhat of a fait accomplis...but I just noticed something.

Take the sharpest image of the building you can find or edit and put it cheek-by-jowl directly against either side of your screen, then scroll up and down the image slowly. Squint really hard if you have to.

I think we're looking at the most subtle tapering job in the history of skyscraper design. *Very* smart on second looks IMO. The facade is beautiful as well and I hope they use a variety of materials.

Brief Aside: to answer a previous poster's wish, this same YIMBY article reports that Dame Zaha Hadid has in fact contributed to the site; and it looks *great*.

Last edited by JayPro; Sep 4, 2014 at 4:56 PM.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2014, 6:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPro View Post
@NYGuy;

I don't know...YIMBY seems to havr already presented this as somewhat of a fait accomplis...but I just noticed something.

Take the sharpest image of the building you can find or edit and put it cheek-by-jowl directly against either side of your screen, then scroll up and down the image slowly. Squint really hard if you have to.

I think we're looking at the most subtle tapering job in the history of skyscraper design. *Very* smart on second looks IMO. The facade is beautiful as well and I hope they use a variety of materials.

Brief Aside: to answer a previous poster's wish, this same YIMBY article reports that Dame Zaha Hadid has in fact contributed to the site; and it looks *great*.
I think the refinements are fantastic. 15 HY had too much frill, and the fuselage effect is still very notable.

Zaha's contribution also looks fantastic. But I think 35HY may be my favorite. Simple, sleek, tall, and awesome, and I love the reveals as the glass peels away from each of the corners -- which do seem to taper ever so subtly as they rise.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2014, 6:23 PM

l still think it looks good. l think that the quality of the materials will make or break this design.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2014, 9:12 PM

The previous cylindrical design would've been one of my favorite in the city, it would really suck if they shelved it for this.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2014, 9:16 PM

And 30 HY has gotten taller again. Now it's almost 1300 ft.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2014, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaze23 View Post
The previous cylindrical design would've been one of my favorite in the city, it would really suck if they shelved it for this.
I can't place my finger on it...but in that nighttime shot of the Big Four Plus One, this tower's cladding seems to enhance a subtle trapezoidal look that the that a closer look at the insanely delicate tapering at the corners will reveal.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2014, 1:02 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
So much height within a small area.

Credit: http://www.yimbynews.com/2014/09/new...rcus-more.html

And this is only phase one!

It looks like something that should be used for cooking in the kitchen. Hopefully Childs will continue tinkering with it. Every previous version was better.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2014, 3:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
It looks like something that should be used for cooking in the kitchen. Hopefully Childs will continue tinkering with it. Every previous version was better.
"And be sure to grate the carrots as thinly as possible using your 35 Hudson Yards"

Old Posted Sep 5, 2014, 1:13 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
"And be sure to grate the carrots as thinly as possible using your 35 Hudson Yards"
Yeah, hopefully the tower evolves even beyond this.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2014, 6:47 PM

Hey look everybody,visit NY future home of the worlds tallest rectangles....this is getting ridiculous...

http://www.pbase.com/nyguy/image/157247692/original.jpg

http://www.yimbynews.com/wp-content/...om-Tower-3.jpg

http://www.yimbynews.com/wp-content/...-Greenwich.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/nyguy/image/156365791/original.jpg

http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopo...outh-duska.jpg

Literally its like these architects are passing around different revisions of the same tower, Get some inspiration for god sakes!!!

MEANWHILE IN CHINA.....

http://ideasgn.com/wp-content/upload...ensler-014.jpg

Buildings Over 200 Meters 62 Completed 20 Under Construction 50 Proposed 0 On Hold

Old Posted Sep 5, 2014, 7:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyscrapersOfNewYork View Post
Hey look everybody,visit NY future home of the worlds tallest rectangles....this is getting ridiculous...
NY will never have many buildings like that China rendering because NY is really the only city on earth that primarily builds skyscrapers on an urban grid.

Even if you go somewhere ultra-urban like a Hong Kong, you will notice their tallest towers are built in a non-urban context (i.e. built in isolation to the larger streetscape). The zoning in NYC doesn't even allow for this type of development.

Or, take Shanghai Tower. The tower is fantastic, but the urban design is horrible. The zoning in NYC prioritizes, above all, the relationship of the building to the existing urban environment. This means, by definition, you will get mostly boxes superimposed on the grid.

And the primary driver of NYC supertall development is ultra-high residential demand for supertalls with views. This almost necessitates boxes, because you are trying to maximize living space as high as possible, and you want to maximize retail space at the base. And, in this residential context, a crown is functionally useless and usually cannot be illuminated.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2014, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
NY will never have many buildings like that China rendering because NY is really the only city on earth that primarily builds skyscrapers on an urban grid.

Even if you go somewhere ultra-urban like a Hong Kong, you will notice their tallest towers are built in a non-urban context (i.e. built in isolation to the larger streetscape). The zoning in NYC doesn't even allow for this type of development.

Take Shanghai Tower. The tower is fantastic, but the urban design is horrible. The zoning in NYC prioritizes, above all, the relationship of the building to the existing urban environment. This means, by definition, you will get mostly boxes superimposed on the grid.
lt's quintessential NY

Last edited by wilfredo267; Sep 5, 2014 at 7:34 PM. Reason: added a sentence.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive