HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 22, 2015, 10:15 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Lol dumbest reason ever.

Even if you think skateboarders are a problem (they aren't), this is a thing:
http://www.niklsonecall.com/wp-conte...ard-Guards.jpg
Not saying I agree or disagree just think that may be why they changed it. Pure conjecture on my part!

This is pretty neat:

H2 Show

Artists Vie For Grant to Install Water Art in Lafitte Greenway

http://www.noladefender.com/content/h-two-show

Freret Street Mixed Use:

Last edited by tennis1400; Mar 23, 2015 at 7:26 PM.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2015, 3:02 PM

WTC announcement coming soon. The developers have submitted some slightly tweaked plans:

http://www.nola.com/business/index.s...tml#incart_std

Old Posted Mar 24, 2015, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by po-boy View Post
WTC announcement coming soon. The developers have submitted some slightly tweaked plans:

Four Seasons.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2015, 6:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by po-boy View Post

They're recommending Four Seasons. From what I read in the comments this seems to be the best in terms of money for the city. I'm relieved.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2015, 9:03 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris from N.O. View Post
They're recommending Four Seasons. From what I read in the comments this seems to be the best in terms of money for the city. I'm relieved.
I still liked the overall proposal from Conrad in that they were going to work with the neighboring properties; however, this isn't anything to prevent the Four Seasons team from doing the same. That said I think Four Seasons is the best hotel chain out of all the proposals. Im fin with this!

Old Posted Mar 25, 2015, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
I still liked the overall proposal from Conrad in that they were going to work with the neighboring properties; however, this isn't anything to prevent the Four Seasons team from doing the same. That said I think Four Seasons is the best hotel chain out of all the proposals. Im fin with this!
Agreed. Four Seasons will bring the best crowd and condos will bring the most money. And there's no reason Hilton can't still do the land swap with the Convention Center and build-out of the area along Convention Center Blvd. In my perfect world, they would align Convention Center Blvd. with a triangular shape block to remove current zig-zag the street makes.

On another good note, the money is in place for the WWII Museum's enormous new canopy - to be completed by 2017! I think this will be a nice addition to the skyline!

http://www.theneworleansadvocate.com...eum-20-million

Old Posted Mar 25, 2015, 2:20 AM

Looks good for the new WTC, although I do wish that they had found a way to reconfigure the ferry station to better connect Spanish Plaza to the recently redevloped public space in front of the aquarium. Did any of the other proposals do this?

Old Posted Mar 25, 2015, 7:12 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.O.L.A. View Post
Looks good for the new WTC, although I do wish that they had found a way to reconfigure the ferry station to better connect Spanish Plaza to the recently redevloped public space in front of the aquarium. Did any of the other proposals do this?
That's going to be addressed don't you worry. Also the entergy substation will be dealt with by Canal Place too.

Fogo De Chao

Last edited by tennis1400; Mar 26, 2015 at 2:34 AM.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2015, 5:24 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
That's going to be addressed don't you worry. Also the entergy substation will be dealt with by Canal Place too.
That's good to hear. Talk about prime real estate.

Then again, the FQ parking lots have sat empty for 50 years, so clearly location isn't everything.

Really, they need to bury these power lines between Jackson and Elysian Fields... they are an eyesore on the riverfront.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2015, 3:18 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
That's good to hear. Talk about prime real estate.

Then again, the FQ parking lots have sat empty for 50 years, so clearly location isn't everything.

Really, they need to bury these power lines between Jackson and Elysian Fields... they are an eyesore on the riverfront.
Definitely agree with all the above... AT least for those parking lots the current buildings are being renovated... lets hope that starts a trend.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2015, 5:46 PM

Old Posted Mar 26, 2015, 5:50 PM
life is good

Wow da Parish is #1 in the area with a 2.4% growth rate

Old Posted Mar 26, 2015, 6:20 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris from N.O. View Post
That's all interesting to see.. one thing that will start affecting some of the growth rate in certain neighborhoods is that I notice so many doubles in this city are being converted to a single. That might sound trivial but if you're going strictly by population some neighborhoods may be paradoxically built out but have less people because of a change in density. These new residents are probably more wealthy than the old but it does make for an interesting situation. This is all a part of gentrification I guess!

Old Posted Mar 26, 2015, 7:19 PM

Census Comments

-NOLA continues its post katrina rebound, and is being helped along with a rising trendy national and international cache drawing transplants from across the country. It is also benefiting from the national trend of people heading back into the urban core. Times are good.

- Seems Jefferson Parish is stagnatting. My .02 would be that the young and hip are moving into Orleans, and the family types are packing it up and heading across the lake for updated, affordable housing, cheaper schools and flood insurance.
(Also, isn't there a moratorium in Jefferson Parish on apartment construction? Did I make that up?)

-"Baton Rouge" is dying. Everyone that isn't giving up on the state are heading south for Ascension Parish and those that aren't are trying to divorce themselves from the rest of BR (see "St George"). I totally understand BR has all the problems of LA, worse traffic than Houston, crime like NOLA, few economic prospects outside petrochemicals, and is downwind of a big refinery. woof.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2015, 10:45 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
That's all interesting to see.. one thing that will start affecting some of the growth rate in certain neighborhoods is that I notice so many doubles in this city are being converted to a single. That might sound trivial but if you're going strictly by population some neighborhoods may be paradoxically built out but have less people because of a change in density. These new residents are probably more wealthy than the old but it does make for an interesting situation. This is all a part of gentrification I guess!
Yes, absolutely. Also you have fewer people living in each housing unit - more singles and couples instead of families with children. All part of gentrification. However, NOLA has such a backlog of vacant and abandoned structures to renovate (plus land, in places like Lakeview) that this gentrification isn't being felt as a population loss. And the level of new construction in gentrifying neighborhoods is tiny.

Chicago's bougie Lincoln Park neighborhood lost 40% of its population from a 1960 peak, even though it's wealthier and more filled-in than ever before.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2015, 10:58 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternSon View Post
-NOLA continues its post katrina rebound, and is being helped along with a rising trendy national and international cache drawing transplants from across the country. It is also benefiting from the national trend of people heading back into the urban core. Times are good.

- Seems Jefferson Parish is stagnatting. My .02 would be that the young and hip are moving into Orleans, and the family types are packing it up and heading across the lake for updated, affordable housing, cheaper schools and flood insurance.
(Also, isn't there a moratorium in Jefferson Parish on apartment construction? Did I make that up?)

-"Baton Rouge" is dying. Everyone that isn't giving up on the state are heading south for Ascension Parish and those that aren't are trying to divorce themselves from the rest of BR (see "St George"). I totally understand BR has all the problems of LA, worse traffic than Houston, crime like NOLA, few economic prospects outside petrochemicals, and is downwind of a big refinery. woof.
What was Baton Rouges benefits back in the day are now its liabilities . Our generation isn't looking for cities like that nor empty nesters .

Last edited by tennis1400; Mar 27, 2015 at 5:41 PM.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2015, 10:44 PM

Canal/Tchoup. hotel is dead, at least for now.

http://www.nola.com/business/index.s...l#incart_river

Old Posted Mar 27, 2015, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Another aspect of those doubles being converted to singles though is that some of them are now actually ending up with more (rental) units than they had before as doubles. That's because the new layout of the house from the freed-up space allows more rooms or units to be added, especially if a camel-back or any expanded space is built in the back. That's what happened to the house I live in anyway.

Kurt Vonnegut

Old Posted Apr 2, 2015, 8:36 PM

Old Posted Apr 4, 2015, 5:34 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerbydesign View Post
Interested to see what happens here. I read it the other day, its a shame the state couldnt provide a more recent market study though. The one they have attached still references the future Loyola Streetcar line. Any market study that dated is basically useless. Nonetheless, now is a prime moment to redevelop these buildings.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations