HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jan 26, 2019, 1:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaineN View Post
Purposely taking a dig at the Leafs no doubt. Hard to argue though, as the Flames have the best record of a Canadian team at the moment, but when you look at the top two lines, you see only one Canadian (Monahan) 2 Swedes, 2 Americans, and a Czech.
What does that matter though? (one canadian on top 2 lines)... The team with the most Canadians I believe are the St. Louis Blues right now. Is the implication that we should call Canada's team the one with the most Canadians? Just wondering; there is logic to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
The Toronto Sun just named the Flames as Canada's team lol.
Well, they have the best record right now. And they beat the #2 and #3 Canadian teams so far this year too. Flames are scary good this year.

(but you just know Leafs fans will huff and puff and blow the Sun down for that)

Old Posted Jan 26, 2019, 7:46 PM

Fair point. Two of the Leafs top players aren't Canadian (Matthews and Nylander) Same for the Jets (Laine, Wheeler)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccerfeller View Post
What does that matter though? (one canadian on top 2 lines)... The team with the most Canadians I believe are the St. Louis Blues right now. Is the implication that we should call Canada's team the one with the most Canadians? Just wondering; there is logic to that.

Well, they have the best record right now. And they beat the #2 and #3 Canadian teams so far this year too. Flames are scary good this year.

(but you just know Leafs fans will huff and puff and blow the Sun down for that)

Old Posted Jan 26, 2019, 7:57 PM

Interesting sign of the times in the NHL. Many of the star players are from other countries. Yesterday in the all star skills comp, Gaudreau beat out another American (Patrick Kane) in the puck handling comp. Lunquist was tops in the Goalie skills. Ovechkin hardest shot. Last year's Stanley cup champion team had as many Americans (7) as Canadians (7). They also had a 1 Dane, 1 Austrian/Swede, 4 Russians, 2 Swedes, 2 Czechs, 1 Swiss, and 1 Slovakian. Kind of like a mini United Nations.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2019, 3:29 PM
ハルウララ

Canadians are disappearing in the NHL and being replaced by Americans at a pretty decent rate. Canada still develops a lot of top-end talent but a lot of the depth players are American now. Trend will only continue into the future as American hockey programs develop further.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 2:35 PM
arf

So happy there are actual hockey games tonight. The All-Star break sucks.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 4:27 PM
Near Generational

Time fo the Devils to go on a huge run like they did last year.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 4:50 PM

Big trade for the leafs, the more I think about it the more I like the move.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 5:07 PM
Near Generational

You don't think it's a little steep for a guy who's only got one year left on his contract?

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 5:14 PM

The idea is to take a run at the Stanley Cup, so not a bad move really.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 5:27 PM
Derp

Great trade for Leafs, couple of 'maybes' and a late first rounder for a top pairing D-man? I'd take that deal
Plus, unlike Chiarelli, Dubas understands the urgency of trying to win while his young stars are still in their ELC's

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 10:09 AM

If Muzzin was expiring this year I'd say it's a bit steep.
To have a guy who was a bonafide #2 d man on a Stanley cup winning team making 4 million a year while we try and sign our young guys this summer is invaluable though. It also immediately plugs the hole on the back end when Gardiner leaves in free agency.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
If Muzzin was expiring this year I'd say it's a bit steep.
To have a guy who was a bonafide #2 d man on a Stanley cup winning team making 4 million a year while we try and sign our young guys this summer is invaluable though. It also immediately plugs the hole on the back end when Gardiner leaves in free agency.
I think it was a good move by the leafs, can’t say I know much about Muzzin but his name stands out after Doughty as one of the better defence man on the kings when the Flames played them. Nice to see the Leafs making a move, But hold off on the parade!

‘I believe in science’ is a statement generally made by people who don’t understand much about it. - Judith Curry, Professor Emeritus GIT

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 8:03 PM
Near Generational

If you are the Jets, what do you do with Patrick Laine? 4 goals since December 1.

How do you pay a guy like that?

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 8:11 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
If you are the Jets, what do you do with Patrick Laine? 4 goals since December 1.

How do you pay a guy like that?
Hope to gawd the team does well, while he keeps on sucking. This can only make him cheaper for the contract extension, and at some point he will get out of his funk...

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExcaliburKid View Post
Great trade for Leafs, couple of 'maybes' and a late first rounder for a top pairing D-man? I'd take that deal
Plus, unlike Chiarelli, Dubas understands the urgency of trying to win while his young stars are still in their ELC's
Um Chia did too and that's why they got into the mess in the first place. Signing those veterans and trading draft picks.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 11:33 PM

Flame don't play till Friday, hope the extended break doesn't hurt them down the stretch...

Old Posted Jan 31, 2019, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Sauga View Post
Um Chia did too and that's why they got into the mess in the first place. Signing those veterans and trading draft picks.
Chia traded some of the Oilers best players for less (Hall, one for one for gawds sakes), Dubas got the best player in the trade for a draft pick and parts, that’s how you are supposed to do it, but with you being an Oiler fan I can understand your scepticism that there exists a world where a GM can improve a team!

‘I believe in science’ is a statement generally made by people who don’t understand much about it. - Judith Curry, Professor Emeritus GIT

Old Posted Jan 31, 2019, 2:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawagord View Post
Chia traded some of the Oilers best players for less (Hall, one for one for gawds sakes), Dubas got the best player in the trade for a draft pick and parts, that’s how you are supposed to do it, but with you being an Oiler fan I can understand your scepticism that there exists a world where a GM can improve a team!
lol what? I'm no Oiler fan

Old Posted Jan 31, 2019, 3:26 AM

Quote:
lol what? I'm no Oiler fan
Ah, long suffering Leaf fan who is still feeling the sting from when Harold traded Lanny?

Old Posted Jan 31, 2019, 4:07 PM
Derp

Quote:
Chia did no such thing, he only brought in David Desharnais in a season that his team was fighting for a division title.
I guess my point was, if a team is really rolling and in a playoff spot by the deadline, you load the f*ck up because as the Oilers shamefully found out, you may not be in the same position, same time next season.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada