HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jan 10, 2019, 9:00 PM
Near Generational

I have liked Neal's game the past couple nights. He had a great chance in Chicago on a breakaway, took a good shot and the goalie made a nice save off of his shoulder.

He got the puck a couple times in good spots on the PP last night in the second period, got one nice shot off and the other he made a cutesy pass that he probably should have fired on goal.

Always tough to break out of a slump with 3rd line minutes, but he hasn't shown that he deserves to be anywhere else.

Unlike Bennett, there is hope for Neal to break out offensively.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2019, 11:36 PM
恭喜发财!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawagord View Post
Neal is probably untradeable now with that albatross of a contract and poor play, unless you want to trade him for Lucic, we are stuck with him.

Gilles lets in too many bad goals, Elliott-esque bad momentum killing goals, he's gone from a promising prospect to joining the pantheon of Flames never will be good enough for NHL goalie draft picks. Can't see a goalie trade, Treliving is too invested in Smith to give up on him.
I wouldn't say Treliving is too invested in Smith. His contract is up at the end of the season, and I strongly doubt it's going to be renewed. That being said, I doubt they're going to give up on him for this season unless a good opportunity for picking up a decent backup at a reasonable price comes up, simply because he HAS won a few games for us this season and still does show flashes of greatness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
I have liked Neal's game the past couple nights. He had a great chance in Chicago on a breakaway, took a good shot and the goalie made a nice save off of his shoulder.

He got the puck a couple times in good spots on the PP last night in the second period, got one nice shot off and the other he made a cutesy pass that he probably should have fired on goal.

Always tough to break out of a slump with 3rd line minutes, but he hasn't shown that he deserves to be anywhere else.

Unlike Bennett, there is hope for Neal to break out offensively.
Benny's been great for us this year. And he's still young - just like Backlund, he's probably just a late bloomer. The underlying numbers are trending in the right direction for him, and I think he needs to be kept around. Plus that 'stache is off the charts.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2019, 4:34 AM

Very interesting statistic in the NHL standings right now. All teams in a playoff spot have a + goal differential and all the teams out of a spot have a - goal differential.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2019, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaineN View Post
Very interesting statistic in the NHL standings right now. All teams in a playoff spot have a + goal differential and all the teams out of a spot have a - goal differential.
I've noticed that at the end of the season the last few years. I forget the details, but I think there was one team last year who made it in who had - goals, and one team who didn't make it in who had + goals.

Check this out in you're a stats person (or a data visualization person):
https://www.darkhorseanalytics.com/p.../hockey-impact

Old Posted Jan 11, 2019, 4:26 PM

It's pretty typical that the teams who allow more goals then they score don't make the playoffs, there are a few exceptions once in a while though.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2019, 5:30 PM
Near Generational

What on earth was Barkov thinking last night?

How do you leave McDavid alone with 10 seconds left?!

Old Posted Jan 11, 2019, 9:39 PM

Can't believe Gio is missing the ASG, what a crock that the best team in the west only has 1 player going when we have 6 players that could have gotten the nod.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2019, 9:42 PM
Near Generational

I'm super ok with Gio not going. He needs the rest.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2019, 9:44 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Can't believe Gio is missing the ASG, what a crock that the best team in the west only has 1 player going when we have 6 players that could have gotten the nod.
Players aren't selected for the ASG based solely on how well they or their team is doing so far in the season.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2019, 10:03 PM

They should be, the ASG is supposed to be a showcase for the best players in the game that year.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2019, 10:12 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
They should be, the ASG is supposed to be a showcase for the best players in the game that year.
Sure, if you were looking at it purely through that lens and not through the lens that the ASG is simply a marketing event for the NHL to market its biggest (see: not best that year) stars. As entertaining as Gaudreau plays he's probably the only one worth marketing - Monahan and Giordano don't exactly light the world on fire with their personalities.

Also, San Jose has a bunch of players going because they're host, which limits the number of players Calgary has potentially going since they share a division. Calgary players also didn't win the votes for Captain of division (McDavid) or for Last Man In for division (Draisaitl). I guess the only scenario where Calgary ever sends more than two or three players is when they themselves host the ASG.

If it makes you feel better nobody from Montreal is playing in the ASG.

The ASG had relevance before you could watch any game or see any highlight at any time, when you could only watch the games of one or two teams and only saw a player maybe once or twice a year. Now it's just....mostly pointless, aside from marketing, and having a bit of fun.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2019, 11:18 PM

That's a fair point, the NHL is a business and they look at it as a business dfecision. I guess I shouldn't really care as the ASG is usually pretty boring lol.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2019, 12:35 AM

Giordano should be there given he is the favorite for the Norris imo. Burns would have an argument as well. However, I understand the limitations of the all star game in who they select. Great players will be left out.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2019, 9:54 PM
Community Guy

Connor didn' t attend the Oilers 'skills competition' today... 'sick'... I too feel nauseous.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jan 13, 2019, 10:44 PM

Tonight's Flame game against Arizona should be interesting. The Flames have been sucking lately, but still managing to get wins. Will tonight be a loss? Arizona has been playing well lately, and after the win against Edmonton they are right there with them.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2019, 10:50 PM
Community Guy

Garland on Ari is a guy to watch.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jan 13, 2019, 10:54 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Garland on Ari is a guy to watch.
He did really well in the Q for Moncton a few years back. Game has changed enough that a guy with his size and playstyle can be an good player at NHL level.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2019, 2:13 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
He did really well in the Q for Moncton a few years back. Game has changed enough that a guy with his size and playstyle can be an good player at NHL level.
When Garland was with Moncton, he won the QMJHL scoring race two years in a row, the first player since Sydney Crosby to do so.

He's languished in the AHL for a couple of years, but has been on fire since being called up, scoring eight goals in the last six games.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2019, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1 View Post
Tonight's Flame game against Arizona should be interesting. The Flames have been sucking lately, but still managing to get wins. Will tonight be a loss? Arizona has been playing well lately, and after the win against Edmonton they are right there with them.
Didn't see it as I was playing hockey myself, but was happy to see the Flames had won 7-1! the boys just keep rolling!

Old Posted Jan 14, 2019, 8:48 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Sure, if you were looking at it purely through that lens and not through the lens that the ASG is simply a marketing event for the NHL to market its biggest (see: not best that year) stars. As entertaining as Gaudreau plays he's probably the only one worth marketing - Monahan and Giordano don't exactly light the world on fire with their personalities.

Also, San Jose has a bunch of players going because they're host, which limits the number of players Calgary has potentially going since they share a division. Calgary players also didn't win the votes for Captain of division (McDavid) or for Last Man In for division (Draisaitl). I guess the only scenario where Calgary ever sends more than two or three players is when they themselves host the ASG.

If it makes you feel better nobody from Montreal is playing in the ASG.

The ASG had relevance before you could watch any game or see any highlight at any time, when you could only watch the games of one or two teams and only saw a player maybe once or twice a year. Now it's just....mostly pointless, aside from marketing, and having a bit of fun.
Doesn't every team have at least one player in the All-Star Game?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada