HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > General Discussion

Old Posted Mar 22, 2013, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the905sDW View Post
Here is an updated rendering of the tower as it would appear built at the corner of Market and Bay St N.

^ So awesome. It proves Hamilton's downtown parking lots have so much more potential. Now I want someone to build that tower

Old Posted Mar 22, 2013, 8:58 PM
Hammer'd

I've always wanted to see somebody tackle a fantasy Hamilton skyline with a bunch of added skyscrapers. Would probably look a lot like Montreal.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Mar 22, 2013, 9:05 PM
Dustin William

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt602 View Post
I've always wanted to see somebody tackle a fantasy Hamilton skyline with a bunch of added skyscrapers. Would probably look a lot like Montreal.
I've been following this form for a long time and have had an interest in urban development for quite some time, so making these have been long in the making! I'll have plenty more in the weeks and months to come. I'm actually challenging myself to learn C4D better.

I've also thought our skyline might look somewhat like Montreal. They have a decent one - it's very dated though. I think Hamilton could and should be more fresh and modern.

Another site in the city I've wanted to make a concept building if for Main & Hughson - beside other large buildings and ohh so empty!

But, the next thing I want to tackle is the new GO Station!
dustinlabs.net

Old Posted Mar 22, 2013, 9:12 PM
Dustin William

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
Nice. I like dark buildings, it keeps Hamilton unique. Whereas with the rest it's all glass buildings.

Put it in Canadian Proposals lol, GTA forumers will crap their pants haha. They'll be afraid banks are going elsewhere.

But anyways you should post it in the Canadian Fantasy thread, http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=197716

If you want to kill time you should think about doing future skyline of Hamilton. MeIsThomas gave it a try...

Here's a Toronto example
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8244/8...df11dc11_b.jpg
Thanks! I'll definitely post it in that other forum. It's a goal of mine to build 3d buildings, structures and skyscrapers for our city - just purely for fantasy. It's a cool way to envision the potential and future planning of bigger buildings in the city.

I have several models built already, I'll see what I can mock up. The trick is making it look as realistic as possible - I need a good day time photo from Arkledun Ave so I can have a wide view of the current buildings - that way I can get the 3D angles right and photoshop it to death.
dustinlabs.net

Old Posted Mar 22, 2013, 9:14 PM
Dustin William

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeIsThomas View Post
^ So awesome. It proves Hamilton's downtown parking lots have so much more potential. Now I want someone to build that tower
Thanks!!!

Just google map viewing of the downtown lights up my eyes with all of the empty lots for possible new developments. It's just finding the right location for the 'big one' - which I am working on.
dustinlabs.net

Old Posted Mar 22, 2013, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the905sDW View Post
Thanks!!!

Just google map viewing of the downtown lights up my eyes with all of the empty lots for possible new developments. It's just finding the right location for the 'big one' - which I am working on.
I'm the same way with google maps, I could stare at it and imagine what the lots could be for hours. I've put hundreds of kilometres on the car just driving around downtown and looking at all the lots and planning a whole city redevelopment in my head

I am working on a Google SketchUp model for the lot in between the Pigott Building and Commerce Place. It is my 'big one' that I am working on. I want it to be as professional and perfect as possible so I'm going to spend a real long time on it and learn more about 3D modeling and put everything I learn into that one. I'll post it when a eventually finish...

Old Posted Mar 22, 2013, 10:24 PM
Dustin William

Quote:
I'm the same way with google maps, I could stare at it and imagine what the lots could be for hours. I've put hundreds of kilometres on the car just driving around downtown and looking at all the lots and planning a whole city redevelopment in my head

I am working on a Google SketchUp model for the lot in between the Pigott Building and Commerce Place. It is my 'big one' that I am working on. I want it to be as professional and perfect as possible so I'm going to spend a real long time on it and learn more about 3D modeling and put everything I learn into that one. I'll post it when a eventually finish...
Awesome! Sounds like we have the same ideas and visions for this city! That lot is probably the best spot for the big one! The lot doesn't look right - it was meant to be something big. Can't wait to see what your vision is!
dustinlabs.net

Old Posted Mar 22, 2013, 10:57 PM
Bruatalism gets no respec

nice job

nice work Dustin. I love black towers and the blue lighting is a nice touch. Hamilton needs more lighting downtown on its buildings. THat location is perfect for a tower, maybe one day.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2013, 11:02 PM

Last edited by thomax; Mar 22, 2013 at 11:10 PM. Reason: delete

Old Posted Mar 22, 2013, 11:09 PM
Dustin William

Quote:
Originally Posted by realcity View Post
nice work Dustin. I love black towers and the blue lighting is a nice touch. Hamilton needs more lighting downtown on its buildings. THat location is perfect for a tower, maybe one day.
Thanks RealCity! The blue light spanning the height was inspired by the same effect on the RBC Dexia building in TO. I agree the buildings look a big dim at night - illumination is great to define the sky at night. I liked the location too - just off the up and coming Jackson Square and the rest of the buildings going up around Bay St. Plus, the Federal building is really timeless looking - its a nice place to put another newer building.
dustinlabs.net

Old Posted Mar 23, 2013, 5:20 AM

Every time I drive downtown I see this lot and think it could be put to such good use. There seems to always be a sign on the property proposing a new building, but nothing ever gets built.

Source: Google Maps

Source: Google Street View

So here is my "If You Were A Developer (Just For Fun)" proposal. It is a 5-floor condo with room for a store or restaurant on the ground floor. There is also a shared rooftop patio for the condo residents.

Source: My Photo

I was just trying out different tools and designing random buildings and I ended up really liking this design...

Old Posted Mar 23, 2013, 6:28 AM

The corner of King and Wellington is screaming for something. If the success of the Connaught spreads further into the IV then someday...someday we'll get something decent built there. Perhaps there's already interest - Denninger's owns it, so who knows.

Love the sketches.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2013, 6:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pEte fiSt iN Ur fAce View Post
The corner of King and Wellington is screaming for something. If the success of the Connaught spreads further into the IV then someday...someday we'll get something decent built there. Perhaps there's already interest - Denninger's owns it, so who knows.

Love the sketches.
Thanks

Old Posted Mar 23, 2013, 1:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pEte fiSt iN Ur fAce View Post
The corner of King and Wellington is screaming for something.
What a great location for a design competition, especially for a condo tower, being at the Downtown Hamilton entrance sign and all.

And you're right, if the Connaughrt project takes off, what a wonderful way to bookend the International Village

Old Posted Mar 23, 2013, 7:27 PM
Dustin William

Quote:
Every time I drive downtown I see this lot and think it could be put to such good use. There seems to always be a sign on the property proposing a new building, but nothing ever gets built.
Hey Thomas! I completely forgot about that lot! I drive by it daily! Its a great spot for something like what you designed - something unique and interesting since it;s the gateway to downtown. I like the wood exterior and interesting lines.
dustinlabs.net

Old Posted Mar 23, 2013, 7:30 PM
Dustin William

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainKirk View Post
What a great location for a design competition, especially for a condo tower, being at the Downtown Hamilton entrance sign and all.

And you're right, if the Connaughrt project takes off, what a wonderful way to bookend the International Village
A design competition - I love that idea! Note to city hall: People care about what goes up and want to see things to go up!

I didn't think my original post would spark such interest! Im glad! It's nice to see others who care and want to give their input! Keep up the designs!
dustinlabs.net

Old Posted Mar 23, 2013, 7:30 PM

Source

Since no renderings for the proposed King & Bay Condos have been released, I followed the plan (above) and made some quick sketches (below) to see what they could look like. I am going to work more on this one and put a lot more detail into it (better textures/windows, etc.), but this is what I have so far:

Old Posted Mar 23, 2013, 7:38 PM
Dustin William

Quote:
Since no renderings for the proposed King & Bay Condos have been released, I followed the plan (above) and made some quick sketches (below) to see what they could look like. I am going to work more on this one and put a lot more detail into it (better textures/windows, etc.), but this is what I have so far:
Oh man - You can read my mind! I've been wondering when a rendering would be release for that lot. Its demanding some height. I like your design - a twined tower would be nice to see - maybe something on a diagonal too would be cool. Would look cool near my proposed RBC Tower!
dustinlabs.net

Old Posted Mar 23, 2013, 7:41 PM
Dustin William

Prime Direction?

So one thing I have been wondering when designing these concepts is what direction do I make the most interesting sode of a building face? The mountain or the lake? East or west? Or do you make all sides equally interesting? With Toronto its sort of a no brainer to make the cool side face the lake if it's downtown and tall. With Hamilton, from the QEW Skyway you dont really see downtown. From the 403 to Main west way into the city, you see downtown from that way. I think hamilton's best view is from the mountain.
dustinlabs.net

Old Posted Mar 23, 2013, 8:17 PM

if this can become a recommendations thread, I was thinking today of the dire need for a marquee building between the Pigott and CIBC buildings. Would be a real challenge to bridge those two designs...Maybe this could be a design competition between meisthomas and the905sdw...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > General Discussion