HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Oct 15, 2016, 3:25 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
South Barrington is booming. Another new proposal that caught my eye in the HRM office in Scotia Square.

It is replacing the mid century office building at 1190 Barrington Street fronting on Cornwallis Park.

1190 Barrington by Jonovision23, on Flickr
I think it looks good. However, I think it would look better if the upper three floors were red brick instead of glass curtain so it would just be two different shades of brick.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2016, 5:34 PM

Somewhat reminiscent of its neighbor up the street:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@44.64064...8i6656!6m1!1e1

Old Posted Oct 16, 2016, 1:23 PM

Damn, that's ugly! I hate losing good mid-century stock to out of date post-modern design.

I agree with my fellow forumers. It looks like an architect ate every trope he could see in the 1990's then vomited it all over this design.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2016, 11:00 PM

There is an open house coming up with a lot of proposals, some of them have been well discussed on the forum, some seem new. There should be a lot of new renderings floating around after this next week.

Link to HRM Site

Old Posted Nov 30, 2016, 1:19 AM
Halifax Promoter!

WOW, lots of developments here....

Old Posted Nov 30, 2016, 4:02 PM

The 18th entry there worried me for a second, involving some demolitions on Harvey Street.

They really should have pulled the Old South Suburb heritage district a block east along South, Harvey, and Morris. Some of the city's very best Victorian residential architecture, much of it unprotected, is owned by rental companies around there, and I'm sure would love to cash in. Harvey Street especially is a gem. (I'm pretty sure the development listed above will take down two of the non-gems on the street, but there's nothing protecting the better ones further down).

Old Posted Nov 30, 2016, 5:50 PM

@1 Cousins restaurant gone, that's too bad

@14 •3 municipally-registered heritage properties

@18 •Municipally-registered heritage property on South Street

Can I say f@%k on here?

Old Posted Nov 30, 2016, 6:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
@1 Cousins restaurant gone, that's too bad

@14 •3 municipally-registered heritage properties

@18 •Municipally-registered heritage property on South Street

Can I say f@%k on here?

May want to check the last column on each of those points.

#18 specifically says that the heritage property would be retained.
#14 says that one of the heritages buildings would be relocated to the back yard of another of the heritage buildings (though this still leaves one of the buildings unaccounted for, so some worry there)

Old Posted Nov 30, 2016, 8:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phalanx View Post
May want to check the last column on each of those points.

#18 specifically says that the heritage property would be retained.
#14 says that one of the heritages buildings would be relocated to the back yard of another of the heritage buildings (though this still leaves one of the buildings unaccounted for, so some worry there)
#14 must be a typo, 5969 is a heritage property, it being put in the rear of 1452 Carlton, would put it on College? Not sure what they are planning here.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2016, 8:16 PM

Quote:
#14 must be a typo, 5969 is a heritage property, it being put in the rear of 1452 Carlton, would put it on College? Not sure what they are planning here.
It must be a typo; as far as I can see on google maps there is no 5959, only 5969.

It'd be nice if rather than difficult-to-discern, typo-riddled descriptions, the city website had clear maps, accurate renderings, and a publicly accessible interface. Like, this says there are 3 heritage buildings on the site. Okay. What are the addresses? Why can't we have a little drawing indicating the lots in question so we don't have to guess what properties are being discussed?

Old Posted Dec 1, 2016, 10:53 PM

Visuals have been posted for almost all of the proposals going to the meeting on the 7th.

Here is a quick snapshot of them all. They are organised by number and address same as the list on the website.

http://www.halifax.ca/planning/appli...etailsPage.php

1. Cousins Restaurant

1. Cousins by Jonovision23, on Flickr

2. Pepperell

2. Pepperell by Jonovision23, on Flickr

4. Southpark

4. SouthPark by Jonovision23, on Flickr

5. Spring Garden West

5. Spring Garden West by Jonovision23, on Flickr

6. Chebucto

6. Chebucto by Jonovision23, on Flickr

7. Ben's Bakery

7. Ben's Bakery by Jonovision23, on Flickr

8. Quinpool (currently McDonalds)

8. Quinpool MacDonalds by Jonovision23, on Flickr

10. Robie and Cunard

10. RobieCunard by Jonovision23, on Flickr

10. RobieCunard2 by Jonovision23, on Flickr

11. Agricola

11. Agricola by Jonovision23, on Flickr

12. Bayers and Young

12. Bayers Young by Jonovision23, on Flickr

13. United Memorial Church on Kaye

13. United Memorial Church on Kaye by Jonovision23, on Flickr

14. College and Robie

14. College Robie by Jonovision23, on Flickr

14. College Robie2 by Jonovision23, on Flickr

15. Wellington

15. Wellington by Jonovision23, on Flickr

16. Queen and Victoria in Dartmouth

16. Queen Victoria by Jonovision23, on Flickr

16. Queen Victoria2 by Jonovision23, on Flickr

17. Canal St in Dartmouth Cove

17. Canal by Jonovision23, on Flickr

17. Canal2 by Jonovision23, on Flickr

18. South and Harvey

18. South Harvey by Jonovision23, on Flickr

19. Lucknow

19. Lucknow by Jonovision23, on Flickr

Old Posted Dec 2, 2016, 1:19 AM

Nice to see that there's a whole crop of new proposals without any major heritage upsets.

This one looks good, but there are two great Victorian houses that will be lost for it. It's not the worst loss given the tradeoff, but as this area isn't a heritage district, and most of the houses on the street aren't heritage-designated, so I've really been concerned about piecemeal loss that can happen here. This needs to be an HCD.

This looks fine, but I'm definitely concerned we're going to see a land rush here, with the character of the whole street razed for a bunch of these 4-6 storey jobs. That would be very unfortunate.

A blend of faux-Victorian elements and weird po-mo echoes. Basically like a McMansion made into a tower, which is no surprise from Kassner Goodspeed.

Nice—this is exactly the kind of infill we need. The houses at the bottom right of this picture, however, are the kinds of buildings I'm concerned about in the future. No heritage protection, and developers are clearly willing to run roughshod over stuff like this. Another spot that needs to be an HCD.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2016, 2:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
Visuals have been posted for almost all of the proposals going to the meeting on the 7th.

Here is a quick snapshot of them all. They are organised by number and address same as the list on the website. ...
Haha. WM Fares and WSP seem to be confused... did we ask they them to write the Centre Plan. They certainly seem to be trying ...

Old Posted Dec 2, 2016, 2:58 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
Nice—this is exactly the kind of infill we need. The houses at the bottom right of this picture, however, are the kinds of buildings I'm concerned about in the future. No heritage protection, and developers are clearly willing to run roughshod over stuff like this. Another spot that needs to be an HCD.
I think the rendering shows how these different types of buildings can coexist and form interesting neighbourhoods. If the protections for character buildings were a bit better Halifax could easily have the best of both worlds, new buildings with lots of vibrancy and lots of character from old buildings. That would make it a pretty unique city as well.

It's interesting to see so much development along Robie Street. In the long run, I think Robie will become a part of downtown and Quinpool will be more like an extension of downtown rather than a strip of neighbourhood shops. This will make Halifax feel like a much larger city, and suggests that transportation around the urban core will become more important in the future.

The Canal towers in Dartmouth look interesting. It is nice to see some major proposals aside from King's Wharf. Dartmouth still has a lot of empty and underused land.

I guess these must represent 2,000-3,000 residential units in total, and space for around 4,000-5,000 new residents. This seems like a lot but it is not an unreasonable amount of development. The metropolitan area as a whole adds that number of new people every year (actually a bit more this year, and households may still be shrinking). If the aim is to have 25% of new development in the city then this is the volume of development that needs to happen every 3-4 years.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2016, 9:40 AM

I wonder if there will be tower spacing issues between 5 and 14?

Old Posted Dec 2, 2016, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hali87 View Post
I wonder if there will be tower spacing issues between 5 and 14?
Be interesting to see a visual of both 5 and 14 together.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2016, 2:15 AM
Somewhat Pretentious

Quote:
Be interesting to see a visual of both 5 and 14 together.
You read my mind. I can already imagine the two structures coexisting at that corner. Halifax will be a more important city in the future than it is now. I can feel it.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2016, 6:47 PM

Update on the situation with the Dennis Building at the CBC site today:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-s...ment-1.3878192

2 historic downtown Halifax buildings may be in private hands next year
Taxpayers pay $46,000 for new scaffolding to protect pedestrians from possible injury

By Jean Laroche, CBC News Posted: Dec 03, 2016 6:00 AM AT

After years of sitting idle and as a potential hazard, the Nova Scotia government is hoping to sell the historic Dennis Building in downtown Halifax to a developer in the new year.

The minister responsible for the file, Labi Kousoulis, wants the issue settled as soon as possible.

"I anticipate that the tender will be on the street in January," Kousoulis told CBC News Thursday.

"I'm not sure the exact timing of the new owner taking over ownership of the building but I would be assuming within months after that."

- more at source -

Old Posted Dec 5, 2016, 8:05 PM

Love #5, the West Spring Garden - really really hope that one gets built.

Also, after being away from Halifax for 6 months, I'm excited to come home and see the new development.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2016, 2:40 AM
Halifax Promoter!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth