HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area

Old Posted Feb 18, 2019, 6:40 PM

Hello All,

Well, after a couple of months of trying to re-establishing my account here as "Travis Bickle," I gave up and am now using this account, "Son of Travis."

For the last year or so, I've been leading my former company's efforts to renovate an abandoned warehouse at 3rd and D Street in West Sacramento into 40 apartments including 10 lofts.

I expect to have it ready for Building Permit this month, at which time I will turn it over to the Development Team at ANI to complete (I left ANI to go out on my own in January).

Almost directly across 3rd from the new CalStrs tower, it should be ready for delivery Q1 2020.

Pretty cool project. Here's a link to an animation on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6qG...ature=youtu.be

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 3:24 PM

Wow, thank you for this information. I hope all goes well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Travis View Post
Hello All,

Well, after a couple of months of trying to re-establishing my account here as "Travis Bickle," I gave up and am now using this account, "Son of Travis."

For the last year or so, I've been leading my former company's efforts to renovate an abandoned warehouse at 3rd and D Street in West Sacramento into 40 apartments including 10 lofts.

I expect to have it ready for Building Permit this month, at which time I will turn it over to the Development Team at ANI to complete (I left ANI to go out on my own in January).

Almost directly across 3rd from the new CalStrs tower, it should be ready for delivery Q1 2020.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Hello All,

Looks great!!!

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 8:06 PM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
Hello All,

Welcome back Travis.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 2:03 PM

Thanks Guys!

Thank you! I appreciate the kind words above.

If I ever figure out how to post pics again, I'll do so. It's a pretty cool project that completely transforms the decaying and decrepit warehouse that used to be there.

The rooftop deck that you see right at end of video will be one of the largest in the Sacramento area (maybe even the largest) and will afford killer views of downtown and the Sacramento River.

And check this out... the Loft units on D Street have street entrances where, because of the slope to the south, you are actually entering on the effective second floor with Master Bedroom on this level, and kitchen/living on 1st floor (The 1st floor has its own entrance from an interior hallway.)

Upon entering from D Street, you cross over an interior bridge that spans the living room below to get to your bedroom.

There's nothing like it in Sacramento. Pretty proud of how it turned out.

Btw - the architects I'm using for this project liked Sacramento so much that they have opened a local office and several staff members, including a principal, have moved there.

This is a really talented group originally from Sydney, Australia, who thought San Diego would forever be their home in the States, but were seduced by Sacramento's tree-lined charms and are already working for other developers in the area.

Really going to up the design ante for Sacramento...

Back to this project... The West Sacramento City Council needs to approve our Affordable Housing Agreement at its meeting tonight and then we'll be down to a few, last comments before project is ready to pull Building Permit, which should happen next week.

Last edited by Son of Travis; Feb 20, 2019 at 3:24 PM.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 9:36 PM

Quote:
Thank you! I appreciate the kind words above.

If I ever figure out how to post pics again, I'll do so. It's a pretty cool project that completely transforms the decaying and decrepit warehouse that used to be there.

The rooftop deck that you see right at end of video will be one of the largest in the Sacramento area (maybe even the largest) and will afford killer views of downtown and the Sacramento River.

And check this out... the Loft units on D Street have street entrances where, because of the slope to the south, you are actually entering on the effective second floor with Master Bedroom on this level, and kitchen/living on 1st floor (The 1st floor has its own entrance from an interior hallway.)

Upon entering from D Street, you cross over an interior bridge that spans the living room below to get to your bedroom.

There's nothing like it in Sacramento. Pretty proud of how it turned out.

Btw - the architects I'm using for this project liked Sacramento so much that they have opened a local office and several staff members, including a principal, have moved there.

This is a really talented group originally from Sydney, Australia, who thought San Diego would forever be their home in the States, but were seduced by Sacramento's tree-lined charms and are already working for other developers in the area.

Really going to up the design ante for Sacramento...

Back to this project... The West Sacramento City Council needs to approve our Affordable Housing Agreement at its meeting tonight and then we'll be down to a few, last comments before project is ready to pull Building Permit, which should happen next week.
Let us know how it goes! Best wishes and hopefully your client can build more and more development projects around the area; West Sac has a lot of empty spots that can be filled.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2019, 9:11 PM

Fulcrum has submitted plans for the Bridge District Phase 5 in TBD.

Smart Growth Investors II, LLC submitted a design review application for a 64-unit residential building at the northeast corner of Mill and 5th Street (490 Mill Street APN: 058-421-001-000). The building has 3 levels of multifamily residential above a 21-stall parking garage. In the rear corner of the property an additional 44 parking spaces are provided on a surface parking lot. The exterior building materials include rust colored metal wall panels, blue painted stucco and metal screen panels on the ground floor providing ventilation to the parking garage.

https://www.cityofwestsacramento.org...cument?id=8651

Old Posted Apr 26, 2019, 10:18 PM

Why are all of the west sac developments so low impact?

Old Posted May 20, 2019, 11:11 PM

What a thoroughly underwhelming project. I'm becoming more and more disappointed with West Sac's execution of TBD.

Old Posted May 21, 2019, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnclearColt View Post
What a thoroughly underwhelming project. I'm becoming more and more disappointed with West Sac's execution of TBD.
It is great there is housing going into place but geeze West Sac just isn't urbanizing. It is a far cry from an extension of downtown and is not pedestrain friendly.

Old Posted May 21, 2019, 6:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanadvocate View Post
It is great there is housing going into place but geeze West Sac just isn't urbanizing. It is a far cry from an extension of downtown and is not pedestrain friendly.
Indeed, I'd like to see some larger buildings and office space and a hotel go up, especially in a prime location like that. But down by the Barn that area continues to get built, if it all fills in with 4-5-story buildings with hopefully an anchor or two mid-high rise it will be a nice area contrasting Sac.

Realistically, what gets done in TBD is really dependent more on what happens in Sac. If Sac isn't building and filling up, TBD isn't going to.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2019, 10:12 PM

There's a 5-story apartment complex proposed right on Jefferson Boulevard down by the Nugget shopping center in West Sac. This is the type of thing we've been seeing go up in the Bridge District but this is the first such project to my knowledge down south in the suburbs. Interesting proposal, I'm sure will be NIMBY'd though

"Jefferson Village Apartments

The Planning Division received a design review application for a 292 unit multifamily development at 2415 Jefferson Boulevard. This is the southern half of the vacant property between Lake Washington Boulevard and Gateway Drive. The applicant is American Property Development, Inc. The project site is 11.4 acres and is zoned Mixed Use Neighborhood Commercial which permits by right multifamily development. The project includes a five-story building fronting Jefferson Blvd. the entire length of the project site, five three story apartment buildings and a community/leasing building in the middle. Nine smaller apartment buildings are along the southern and eastern edge of the project site overlooking the Clarksburg Branch Line Trail. The project is out for public notice and comments are due August 2, 2019"

Rendering of Jefferson Boulevard View

Site Plan
Aerial View

Old Posted Jul 28, 2019, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAGeoNerd View Post
Indeed, I'd like to see some larger buildings and office space and a hotel go up, especially in a prime location like that. But down by the Barn that area continues to get built, if it all fills in with 4-5-story buildings with hopefully an anchor or two mid-high rise it will be a nice area contrasting Sac.

Realistically, what gets done in TBD is really dependent more on what happens in Sac. If Sac isn't building and filling up, TBD isn't going to.

Just a quick reply to many of the posts here with this general theme:

West Sacramento is still an unproven market for high-density, urban-style housing.

You can have all the "vision" in the world, but it means nothing unless you can get your project funded.

All negotiations really come down to one thing, shifting of risk and while everyone's math is the same, it's the degree of risk they're willing to assume that dictates funding. Major funding institutions cost 4.75-6.5% (Prime+) are the most risk-adverse and do not exactly embrace out-of-the-box thinking. They also typically limit their funding to a percentage of hard costs, which typically leaves a sizable gap between total project costs and loan amount.

Lenders that will fund less conventional projects ("Hard" money) cost more, often 8-11%. Money that expensive cuts into what you can spend on the project.

The result of this constant battle between vision and funding all too often results in watered-down projects, and I think you're seeing that in West Sacramento.

A prime example of that is the large complex at the corner of 3rd and Capitol (Can't remember the name off-hand). Hard to beat that location, but the project itself is utterly mundane, typical suburban style apartments with some minor touches to give it a tiny semblance of "urban" living.

It would fit right in in Natomas, Roseville or Elk Grove, but it's a shame to waste this prime site on so prosaic a project. My guess is that the development team originally had something far more "urban" in mind...

And please note hotels are even harder to fund, often requiring 40% or more in equity.

Once you get above five floors or so, construction costs simply skyrocket, so I think this is going to be the cap in West Sac for awhile. And you can't overstate West Sacramento's generations-long reputation as a less-than-desirable place to live. Much of the effort for developers is educating lenders that this is not your grandfather's West Sac.

The good news is that all the fundamentals are in place: superb location, promising lifestyle (what you're really selling), growing workforce with growing incomes, immigration from expensive locales who don't blink too hard at $2.75 and up/sf.

Bad news is that like most cities in California, West Sac still sees development as the city's ATM, and that will keep things expensive for developer, builder and resident, often prohibitively so.

So be patient, but push for excellence. We're already seeing the slow metamorphosis is Sacramento proper with more 8-11 story projects are replacing the 3-5 stories scale of the recent past.

With the caveat of course that the economy must stay strong, good things will happen, if not as quickly as we would all like.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2019, 6:24 PM

West Sacramento Waterfront Proposal

We've got breaking news on a hotel/condo project that Fulcrum is planning for the site between the Tower Bridge and Ziggurat building.

http://www.sactownmag.com/Blog/2019/...-Tower-Bridge/

They're planning to break ground by this fall with completion slated for 2022. Thoughts?

Old Posted Aug 6, 2019, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sachornet View Post
We've got breaking news on a hotel/condo project that Fulcrum is planning for the site between the Tower Bridge and Ziggurat building.

http://www.sactownmag.com/Blog/2019/...-Tower-Bridge/

They're planning to break ground by this fall with completion slated for 2022. Thoughts?

I am glad that something is finally going up there, that's one of the prime locations in Sacramento; I think Ben VDM a year or two ago alluded to something like this.

I do wish it was a little taller and not gonna lie but the hotel building looks a lot like those government buildings with the vertical columns (Think O Street projects).

I am a little surprised at only 57 residential units. Considering the low amount and the height of the building plus it's location I won't be surprised if the units are for sale 1 2 and 3 bedroom condos.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2019, 8:31 PM

Still a little too low impact for now. Height should be double, plus there needs to be better connection to the waterfront. Why do they need that useless landscaping strip between the trail and the buildings? Also they need to clear out a lot of the trees on the waterfront and make some kind of park/beach area. If it says "wild" like that the waterfront will still go unused.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2019, 7:14 AM
Megalonorcal 11M~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
Still a little too low impact for now. Height should be double, plus there needs to be better connection to the waterfront. Why do they need that useless landscaping strip between the trail and the buildings? Also they need to clear out a lot of the trees on the waterfront and make some kind of park/beach area. If it says "wild" like that the waterfront will still go unused.
Such a prime spot. Like 601 CM. These need to be at least 12 floors. Would that really make these projects impossible?

Anyway, agree on the setbacks. Not sure if there is a good reason for it and the waterfront needs urbanization (delete waterfront jungle)

Old Posted Aug 7, 2019, 4:49 PM

The hedge is there to block the hotel guests/residents views of the homeless and shady characters wandering by.

Also notice there's a riverwalk path that runs adjacent to the property, but has been removed in this rendering. They don't want people walking by that fence and looking in from the looks of it.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2019, 7:01 PM

^^^ Nerds Obviously it's a preliminary rendering for media consumption and not accurately displaying how the thing will look in context. Brings up the question though about Riverwalk and whether they plan to significantly alter it to accommodate the hotel/condo. Will have to wait for site plan/more details. As for height? Rather have this than an empty lot for another 15 years. Besides the site is designated for a hotel and the hotel industry has changed a lot. Getting a partner that will help finance a tall hotel that far away from the convention center just wasn't a reasonable expectation imo. After all Sacramento isn't a major tourist destination.

Last edited by ozone; Aug 7, 2019 at 7:14 PM.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2019, 7:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozone View Post
^^^ Nerds Obviously it's a preliminary rendering for media consumption and not accurately displaying how the thing will look in context. Brings up the question though about Riverwalk and whether they plan to significantly alter it to accommodate the hotel/condo. Will have to wait for site plan/more details. As for height? Rather have this than an empty lot for another 15 years. Besides the site is designated for a hotel and the hotel industry has changed a lot. Getting a partner that will help finance a tall hotel that far away from the convention center just wasn't a reasonable expectation imo. After all Sacramento isn't a major tourist destination.
How do you know this is not the "final" rendering?

Hopefully they completely eliminate the stupid landscaping. Why are landscaping separations still a thing? I still see it in the suburbs (sadly) but they don't belong in urban areas. Also, I can't emphasize enough how the wild growth on the river needs to be cleared out to actually make it usable. I mean, what is the point of the river development right?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area