HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Feb 16, 2021, 8:58 PM

It's getting mockery because of the typical developer hyperbole + Tampa, which is essentially the polar opposite of the Barcelona urban form.

As an undergrad I remember taking an MBA class in RE development, and we had developers showing us their plans for CityPlace in West Palm Beach. They were talking about how it was going to revolutionize public space. The Florence of our age. Well, it ended up being another crappy mall that failed, and is now called Rosemary's Place or something super cheesy.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2021, 1:12 AM
Selfie-stick vendor

Tampa should Just try to be a better version of itself.

Filling in parking lots in prominent core areas (already happening , seems per the article that a critical real estate mass would a forming )
More las olas (ft Lauderdale) type commercial walkable streets
emphasize the ‘city beautiful’ heritage
Improve infrastructure in single family home areas (more sidewalks , less ditches )
Beautify freeways , create more biking infrastructure in the city

Do this , and Tampa could be a great city . I imagine a bigger ft lauderdale .

Old Posted Feb 17, 2021, 1:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
As an undergrad I remember taking an MBA class in RE development, and we had developers showing us their plans for CityPlace in West Palm Beach. They were talking about how it was going to revolutionize public space. The Florence of our age. Well, it ended up being another crappy mall that failed, and is now called Rosemary's Place or something super cheesy.
LOL I had a nearly identical experience with an LA developer talking about the Americana in Glendale.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2021, 1:29 AM
Selfie-stick vendor

^^ none of those projects had residential, that's the key difference.

building commercial only was doomed to failure.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2021, 1:44 AM
The Vomit Bag.

If this was being build in Toronto, the amount of scorn heaped upon it would be limitless.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Feb 17, 2021, 2:02 AM

you guys are sleeping on tampa. it's got all the right elements to turn into something great. ybor city alone is unique for the south, but especially florida. neighborhoods like palma cia and hyde park are gorgeous.

*sitting here in atlanta where the wind chill is 18, missing where i grew up*

Old Posted Feb 17, 2021, 2:40 AM
Selfie-stick vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
If this was being build in Toronto, the amount of scorn heaped upon it would be limitless.
if this were being built in Edmonton or Calgary or Vaughn or Mississauga, we would have a million unironic posts on how wonderful, unique, and city-building the project is, and it would be cited as a lesson for Americans and indeed, the entire rest of the world. Also everyone on the forum would know every single particular of the project, since it would be brought up across multiple threads on divergent topics.

Last edited by dc_denizen; Feb 17, 2021 at 3:03 AM.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2021, 2:42 AM
Selfie-stick vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabasse View Post
you guys are sleeping on tampa. it's got all the right elements to turn into something great. ybor city alone is unique for the south, but especially florida. neighborhoods like palma cia and hyde park are gorgeous.

*sitting here in atlanta where the wind chill is 18, missing where i grew up*
it does seem to have a bit of a sketchified area north of town

see zillow, +$500,000 homes

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...oom%22%3A11%7D

nothing north of ybor city.

meanwhile st petersburg actually seems to be a bit more cohesive, plus less obtrusive downtown freeways. some major projects too.

https://stpeterising.com/home/2021/1...ana-field-site

https://stpeterising.com/home/2021/1...t-pete-in-2021

Old Posted Feb 17, 2021, 3:22 AM
Selfie-stick vendor

wow hyde park village and palma cia are indeed gorgeous

Old Posted Feb 17, 2021, 3:46 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_denizen View Post
if this were being built in Edmonton or Calgary or Vaughn or Mississauga, we would have a million unironic posts on how wonderful, unique, and city-building the project is, and it would be cited as a lesson for Americans and indeed, the entire rest of the world. Also everyone on the forum would know every single particular of the project, since it would be brought up across multiple threads on divergent topics.

I never knew you would be so magnanimous towards Canadian cities. You have truly turned a new leaf. Perhaps the DC now stands for Deify Canada, rather than your former Denigrate Canada.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Feb 17, 2021, 4:14 AM

Quote:
It's getting mockery because of the typical developer hyperbole + Tampa, which is essentially the polar opposite of the Barcelona urban form.

I'm not familiar with Rosemary Square but it looks like on streetview. It failed in the sense that the tenant businesses are struggling?
I will say that there's a lot of dead space surrounding it, both in the form of vacant lots and surface parking, and the theatre and convention center complexes that are probably not utilized most of the week. The adjacent post-secondary institutions could in theory be a source of customers, but students tend to shop on a budget and this shopping center seems very upscale so probably not the best match.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2021, 4:53 AM

Quote:

meanwhile st petersburg actually seems to be a bit more cohesive, plus less obtrusive downtown freeways. some major projects too.

That Selmon Freeway really is a killer for Downtown Tampa. It cuts off the main part of downtown from the emerging Channelside district. Its so unnecessary too with another freeway just a few blocks away.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2021, 5:38 AM
Never Dell

Quote:

It would be similar to what's happening in many cities in the US and Canada, albeit more all-in-one-project than some examples. Why would it get more attention than others?

But I forgot...you have a serious thing about Canada.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2021, 7:55 AM

Quote:

St Pete has the best Florida gulf coast downtown area, hands down — and it knows it. St Pete is a city that keeps building upon its successes (most recently, the magnificent St Pete Pier redevelopment).
For being the “second city” in the Tampa Bay metro area, St. Pete has absolutely eclipsed Tampa in urbanity and regional significance.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2021, 1:45 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prahaboheme View Post
St Pete has the best Florida gulf coast downtown area, hands down — and it knows it. St Pete is a city that keeps building upon its successes (most recently, the magnificent St Pete Pier redevelopment).
For being the “second city” in the Tampa Bay metro area, St. Pete has absolutely eclipsed Tampa in urbanity and regional significance.
The Florida urban archtype (city beautiful etc ) at its best would definitely be St Pete.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2021, 7:07 PM

All power to the developers if they're able to build a woonerf-type street in Tampa. Of course they're able to do this because there is a parallel arterial road a block over that will handle all the car traffic and parking entrances, and therefore 99.9% of people who will access this. That begs the question: why build a street for cars at all? Why not just make it a pedestrian precinct if the objective of this district is to be an outdoor mall?

Old Posted Feb 17, 2021, 7:42 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Palma Ceia seems to already have woonerfs?
https://www.google.com/maps/@27.9238...7i16384!8i8192

Or are they just missing sidewalks?

Ybor City does look very nice.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2021, 7:44 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:

Yeah comparing it to Las Ramblas is just ridiculous. If they compared it to Church St. or Pearl St. that would be much more reasonable.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2021, 7:55 PM
BANNED

Is this actually happening? I think it looks great.

Tampa needs to up its game considering that Brady and Gronk chose to live in Miami.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2021, 9:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMKeynes View Post
Is this actually happening? I think it looks great.

Tampa needs to up its game considering that Brady and Gronk chose to live in Miami.

huh. i have family in tampa that i went to visit last nov, and they mentioned brady has a house on davis island, not far from where they live.

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/bucs...eters-mansion/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions