HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 28, 2021, 2:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieguy View Post
Yah....but get ready for the community opposition to density in their neighborhood. This is only a few blocks from where I live and I am totally in favour!!
Well I hope you are ready to write some letters in favour of it.

It looks like you should be able to write a letter to the development appeals board in support of it. Might be worth sending something in at this early stage to show some support for it.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2021, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieguy View Post
I would be very interested and appreciate if one of our great tech/graphic users on here could produce a similar map for Saskatoon. I was shocked to see Regina's!!
I know it's a bit late and off-topic, but I was reviewing the City Centre Plan from 2013 and found a map of Saskatoon's downtown surface parking:

From the plan: "approximately 26% of the City Centre area is surface parking" - this is from 2013 so may be outdated. Also, "City Centre" in this case includes parts of Broadway, Riversdale, and College Drive.

It's on page 12 of the City Centre Plan, found here: https://www.saskatoon.ca/business-de...community-plan

Old Posted Mar 9, 2021, 4:48 PM

Another weirdly odd hater opinion on Starphoenix’s website for the new downtown festival site. I live closer to north downrown and am personally sad that the festival site is moving farther away from me, but this columnist is argueing the latter - that people don’t want to live next to this site... Do they have a hate for this site over another one / is there some weird investor interest that’s spewing these strange articles written by people that don’t even understand the area?
Yeesh how about doing some legitimate investigative journalism... I don’t know about you guys but I haven’t really been checking out Starphoenix much anymore... their publication has sure gone downhill compared to CBC Saskatoon.

And on top of that, I’m so pro Starphoenix selling their annoying 50% surface parking lot building on 5th Ave that is such a dead zone of our downtown. Can I write an op-ed on that?

https://thestarphoenix.com/opinion/c...-festival-site

Old Posted Mar 9, 2021, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roryn1 View Post
Another weirdly odd hater opinion on Starphoenix’s website for the new downtown festival site. I live closer to north downrown and am personally sad that the festival site is moving farther away from me, but this columnist is argueing the latter - that people don’t want to live next to this site... Do they have a hate for this site over another one / is there some weird investor interest that’s spewing these strange articles written by people that don’t even understand the area?

https://thestarphoenix.com/opinion/c...-festival-site
Everyone is entitled to their opinion but some of the reasons in this article are so weird. I never understand all this faux-outrage on behalf of residents. I live under a block away from Victoria Park in Regina where our Folk Fest and other events happen in the summer. Getting to open my windows and listen to the events is one of my favourite parts of living here. People don’t want to live in a central place without it being lively and engaging. Not sure why they think this festival site is the one exception to this. I’m sure a majority of residents would love to have something like this just outside their door

Old Posted Mar 12, 2021, 5:09 PM

It was announced today that a new professional soccer team is coming to Saskatoon. They are going to be building a soccer specific stadium at Prairieland Park at the site of Marquis Downs. Prairieland also announced today that horse racing will no longer occur in Saskatoon.

Disappointed that the racing is gone as it was a fun night with the kids in the summer. Hopefully the soccer catches on and is a good draw.

No idea what size/scope the soccer stadium will end up being.

http://https://canpl.ca/article/cana...n-saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 12, 2021, 5:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty c View Post
It was announced today that a new professional soccer team is coming to Saskatoon. They are going to be building a soccer specific stadium at Prairieland Park at the site of Marquis Downs. Prairieland also announced today that horse racing will no longer occur in Saskatoon.

Disappointed that the racing is gone as it was a fun night with the kids in the summer. Hopefully the soccer catches on and is a good draw.

I can’t wait to see what this entails! The LSSE website says they’re planning for a 4000 seat stadium. According to Wikipedia, the grandstand capacity at Marquis Downs is 3500 so I’m curious to see if any drastic changes are proposed.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2021, 5:58 PM
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty c View Post

That's so exciting! I will definitely make the effort to support the team. Would be nice for a new stadium to be built downtown but the Exhibition area is a good alternative. There is already a hub of activity there to add to rather than building a new stadium off on its own.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2021, 12:30 AM

This is the old grandstand not the current track folks. Stop panicking.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2021, 12:34 AM
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalreg View Post
This is the old grandstand not the current track folks. Stop panicking.
Sorry, what? I think everyone knows that there are two different grandstands. Marquis Downs is definitely closing, and the CPL stadium is definitely slated to replace the horse track. I'm not sure what they're planning to do with the "old grandstand" besides continuing to allow glorified bar rock bands to play there during the Ex

Old Posted Mar 14, 2021, 4:41 PM

Phone is correct.
When the soccer franchise was initially looking, they were proposing "temporarily" using the music grandstand until they could compete a stadium being proposed as part of North Downtown Plan. Apparently that is now not in the cards, and they definitely are talking about the Marquis Downs track and grandstand now.
It was also my understanding they were hoping for something around 8,000 seats...renoing the Marquis grandstand and adding additional seating as well.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2021, 4:05 AM

Thought this was interesting to share - Princeton tower is now mostly for lease. That’s pretty insane to think that most of Scotia Center - Retail and Office space is currently vacant.. https://www.icrcommercial.com/wp-con...-for-Lease.pdf

Old Posted Mar 19, 2021, 2:43 PM

Does anyone get a vibe that 25th street cutting off downtown from city park is similar to how portage ave cutsWinnipeg’s downtown in half? I’ve been doing a lot of walking back and fourth on this street and absolutely love my walk through city park by the hospital, but absolutely do not enjoy the walk around 25th - even though it’s set up really nicely and we just about have buildings and parks encompassing the entire street within the downtown. It almost needs an “Imagine Idywild” revamp - if anything it’s more important than Idywild now that 25th and 5th is soon to be the most population dense block 10 times over any other blocks in Saskatoon, probably for the next generation. Anyone have any insights or cool thoughts on solutions to its “cut-off”, “noisy”, lack of access to each side feel?

(highlighted future library that will include a bit of retail along 25th, new retail on 25th and 2nd with the new Starbucks, and Baydo towers which plans on having retail)

Old Posted Mar 19, 2021, 2:58 PM

Thought it’s also cool to note how the proposed Meridian Knox Tower is obstructing less people than Starphoenix’s building downtown: .

Old Posted Mar 19, 2021, 7:28 PM

Quote:
Does anyone get a vibe that 25th street cutting off downtown from city park is similar to how portage ave cutsWinnipeg’s downtown in half?
No, personally I feel that 25th St feeds the area, like how Osborne St is central to Osborne Village in Winnipeg. Even though it is officially the divider for central business district and city park I still feel like that area in the buffer zone of 25th St is one distinct neighborhood.

It's possible that the sense of it splitting up the area could be from the grid streets being offset on either side, I could see how such an offset could used to make an area feel either less contiguous or more so.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2021, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Does anyone get a vibe that 25th street cutting off downtown from city park is similar to how portage ave cutsWinnipeg’s downtown in half? I’ve been doing a lot of walking back and fourth on this street and absolutely love my walk through city park by the hospital, but absolutely do not enjoy the walk around 25th - even though it’s set up really nicely and we just about have buildings and parks encompassing the entire street within the downtown. It almost needs an “Imagine Idywild” revamp - if anything it’s more important than Idywild now that 25th and 5th is soon to be the most population dense block 10 times over any other blocks in Saskatoon, probably for the next generation. Anyone have any insights or cool thoughts on solutions to its “cut-off”, “noisy”, lack of access to each side feel?

(highlighted future library that will include a bit of retail along 25th, new retail on 25th and 2nd with the new Starbucks, and Baydo towers which plans on having retail)
I walk that area quite a bit and I think the issue is that walking on 25th you have fast moving traffic on one side and large buildings with no sidewalk interaction on the other. The whole street from Spadina through to Idylwyld is designed to get you somewhere else not to stop and interact. Walking just a block over into City Park there’s a large mix of Single Family/Small Apartments/Large Apartments/Condos/Offices and traffic isn’t as fast moving as it’s generally local in nature. It’s got a much more relaxed and walkable vibe.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2021, 6:00 AM

Vacant farmers' market building at River Landing closer to being filled

Carla Shynkaruk, Videojournalist - CTV Saskatoon
Published Monday, March 22, 2021 2:07PM CST
Last Updated Monday, March 22, 2021 6:57PM CST

SASKATOON -- The farmers market building at River Landing is one step closer to having a new tenant now that repairs to the building are nearly complete.

The building once home to the Saskatoon Farmers’ Market was closed in late 2019 to repair the aging building.

The main repairs were completed in February and finishing touches are being done.

Lesley Anderson, director of planning and development with the City of Saskatoon, said the city is in negotiations with one preferred group to fill the space but cannot say who it is yet.

[...]

Read more: https://saskatoon.ctvnews.ca/vacant-...lled-1.5357557

Old Posted Mar 30, 2021, 2:46 AM

255 2nd Ave N looks like it’s about to get a major reno: https://listingsprod.blob.core.windo...f-83be4ccc8629
Right next to the new library! I wonder if the Library investment spurred this.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2021, 4:55 AM

Quote:
255 2nd Ave N looks like it’s about to get a major reno: https://listingsprod.blob.core.windo...f-83be4ccc8629
Right next to the new library! I wonder if the Library investment spurred this.
Is WCB moving out of that building? Maybe they just need to bring it up to standard to attract a new tenant?

Old Posted Mar 30, 2021, 12:58 PM

Must be - and a cheap reno at that since 2nd ave is supposed to be our retail block... I think you’re just starting to see lease’s ending on a lot of commercial buildings downtown and with covid and working from home, most probably won’t be renewed.

Commercial is going to be a hard sell, if it wasn’t already downtown. It’s crazy that none of these fat cat property developers are seeing this and not converting to condos... condos will still do fine post pandemic. My downtown condo building is bustling.

I know a few are fatigued from working from home, but that’s mostly only because of gathering restrictions - not work from home itself. I personally don’t ever plan on working in my downtown office again, and if they forced me back I’ll probably switch companies since so many offer permanent work from home now. The cost savings is immense, and our building was designed by a architect that didn’t lay it out to be collaborative nor are there plans for it to be modernity collaborative.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2021, 11:33 AM

edited

Last edited by Ricopedra; Jun 7, 2021 at 5:55 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan