HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 9, 2020, 4:36 PM

Would all of these improvements people are talking about (continuous flow intersections, additional lanes, twinning) just make it temporarily faster for people to leave the city to live in ESP? And won't less congestion just speed up the development of ESP and other exurbs?

I guess there are ways of mitigating this (e.g. toll ring systems like Oslo) but I can't imagine Winnipeggers standing for that.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2020, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
Would all of these improvements people are talking about (continuous flow intersections, additional lanes, twinning) just make it temporarily faster for people to leave the city to live in ESP? And won't less congestion just speed up the development of ESP and other exurbs?

I guess there are ways of mitigating this (e.g. toll ring systems like Oslo) but I can't imagine Winnipeggers standing for that.
It is a tough situation because on one hand I can understand the appeal of not wanting to make it too easy for people living in the exurbs, but on the other hand it's getting increasingly tough just to get around town for the people who actually do live in this city.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2020, 5:09 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
It is a tough situation because on one hand I can understand the appeal of not wanting to make it too easy for people living in the exurbs, but on the other hand it's getting increasingly tough just to get around town for the people who actually do live in this city.
Yeah. Also, even with excellent transit, it's not like everyone will just stop driving. At this point, we need major investments in both roads and dedicated transit ways to catch up.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Dec 9, 2020, 6:10 PM

Development in ESP has slowed substantially from the boom back in to 90's, 00's.

There aren't any major developments underway at this point. Just a couple smaller sites. Lots of land for sale. There's a couple major developments that have been planned for a long time, but nothing has happened. Such a Fahr lands, there's the golf course property off Lag. Otherwise, nothing like Pritchard Farm or the main town of Birds Hill.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2020, 6:14 PM

^ I get the impression that it's been kind of a slow and steady creep of development around there. No larger projects but every time I'm driving up around there I can always see several houses going up. It adds up over time.

A good chunk of my family moved out to Pritchard Farm when it was built... the homes are nice but that is a little too much suburbia for me. Not my jam.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2020, 6:23 PM

I think the farthest I would move out in that area is the Saddleridge development inside the perimeter. And that is kinda far, no transit..

Even then, we're looking to move shortly and would prefer to be in an older neighbourhood, renovated home.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2020, 6:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
Well we could put in place a toll system for people as they enter Winnipeg. It would have minimal impact on the citizens of Winnipeg. That said it might not be too popular in ESP, WSP, St Andrews, LaSalle, Lorette, OakBank, etc

Old Posted Dec 10, 2020, 12:06 AM

ESP development intentionally slowed until sewage treatment plant updates complete, likely in 1-2 years.

Fahr Development didn’t happen due to untimely death of one of their sons, tragic.

Sure, put a toll on vehicles leaving ESP to enter Winnipeg. Where does the majority of gasoline for Winnipeg come from? Right, Imperial Oil Storage Facility in ESP. Heck, place a toll on 59 and 101 that pass through ESP, some of the busiest highways in the province. My point is that most of the traffic passes through to other parts. ESP population is only 10 k. People are not forced to live here; some like it and stay, others don’t.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2021, 6:54 PM

The stretch of Corydon between Shaftesbury and Park Blvd. they repaved with asphalt (twice!) over the summer has some significant potholes already in the eastbound lanes near Shaftesbury. Maybe those are just the breaks with a scrape/resurface job but I would've hoped it would last longer than 6 months.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2021, 7:03 PM

Was it one the City did themselves? I notice those jobs tend to be crappier than most of the privates crews.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2021, 7:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Was it one the City did themselves? I notice those jobs tend to be crappier than most of the privates crews.
I don't think it was the City. It seemed pretty disorganized. They put down one layer that was out by 1/2" where the asphalt met the side streets and at the medians and didn't seem totally finished (it wasn't perfect smooth asphalt - there were pockmarked areas here and there). Then the lines were painted, so I figured they were done. Then 6 or 8 weeks later they put down another layer that transitioned smoothly at the medians and side streets and wasn't pockmarked. Then lines were painted again. And now there are a few spots where it seems that top layer has disintegrated.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2021, 8:20 PM

The city did an overlay east of Shaftesbury to Tuxedo last summer. If it's concrete surface then it was Bayview or Bituminex, I can't remember which of them did EB or WB. I doubt it was the concrete, but I am often wrong.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2021, 6:53 PM

Im surprised its taking so long to fill the 2 pot holes on Peguis St rite near the Costco entrance.
Its been there for many months, maybe even close to an entire year.
Difficult to avoid if people are coming out of Costco.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2021, 9:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkspec View Post
Im surprised its taking so long to fill the 2 pot holes on Peguis St rite near the Costco entrance.
Its been there for many months, maybe even close to an entire year.
Difficult to avoid if people are coming out of Costco.
Means no one has reported them. Probably filled in a day or 2 once reported.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2021, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinguni View Post
Means no one has reported them. Probably filled in a day or 2 once reported.
looks like i need to call 311 later this eve

Old Posted Mar 26, 2021, 9:49 PM

Bishop Grandin extension east from Lagimodiere to Boul des Hivernants is now tendered as a developer funded access to Sage Creek. The work is to be done this summer. It shouldn't make a difference to anyone except the residents of Sage Creek.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2021, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plrh View Post
Bishop Grandin extension east from Lagimodiere to Boul des Hivernants is now tendered as a developer funded access to Sage Creek. The work is to be done this summer. It shouldn't make a difference to anyone except the residents of Sage Creek.
I read that we’re getting an interchange at this location at bishop and lag. I can’t remember what site I saw this on.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2021, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpgstvsouth94 View Post
I read that we’re getting an interchange at this location at bishop and lag. I can’t remember what site I saw this on.
Winnipeghopesanddreams.com?

Old Posted Mar 27, 2021, 4:25 AM

Smile

Long time lurker, first time poster. Some time back there was a notice by the city requesting a study about an expressway or similar limited access roadway to follow along the tracks and sorting yards from Transcona to the airport. Has there been any news about this?

Old Posted Mar 27, 2021, 4:42 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Development in ESP has slowed substantially from the boom back in to 90's, 00's.

There aren't any major developments underway at this point. Just a couple smaller sites. Lots of land for sale. There's a couple major developments that have been planned for a long time, but nothing has happened. Such a Fahr lands, there's the golf course property off Lag. Otherwise, nothing like Pritchard Farm or the main town of Birds Hill.
There’s no longer the property tax advantage there once was, that and the fact that younger generations want more amenities that the city offers.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan