HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Feb 21, 2021, 5:46 PM
Just 183 km north of...

The Macdonald bridge is in reality a single lane bridge about half the time depending on which direction one is heading. And while I might agree that there is wasted space in this intersection am I to understand that it might be redesigned for the 'now' rather than future need?

Old Posted Feb 21, 2021, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Querce View Post
I mean, I don't really get why you would need a 10 lanes to go into a 3 lane bridge if people don't have to wait at toll booths, but I guess you must know better, right Keith?
Yeah without the 10 lanes traffic would be very backed up!

Old Posted Jun 20, 2021, 7:19 PM

The development agreement is going forward to HEMDCC this week for first reading;

Case 22487 Staff Report

Old Posted Jul 31, 2021, 6:49 PM

The public hearing for this development is taking place this week at Community Council.

https://www.halifax.ca/city-hall/com...ouncil-special

Old Posted Aug 8, 2021, 1:29 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Approved in the community council meeting (paywalled):
https://www.halifaxexaminer.ca/city-...own-dartmouth/

Old Posted Aug 9, 2021, 1:21 PM

I'm very pleased to see this go ahead, but I still predict that street-level retail in the podium is doomed to fail.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2021, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saul Goode View Post
I'm very pleased to see this go ahead, but I still predict that street-level retail in the podium is doomed to fail.
Of course, that is what the planners and their plans mandate. It shows the folly of such dogmatic requirements.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2021, 10:45 PM
Somewhat Pretentious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Of course, that is what the planners and their plans mandate. It shows the folly of such dogmatic requirements.
I agree on planners being extremely dogmatic. If we’re talking about the efficiency of applications to the benefit of the developer, such prescriptive criteria are needed in some degree. Of course, discussing where and how such criteria should be applied could be an endless discussion given the breadth of good ideas.

I think the retail space will do fine, but I don’t expect it to create any sort of vibrant utopia we so often hear about. Seems very Mississauga-esque to me. They have many similar mixed-use buildings that lack the feeling of a true retail street, at least in my opinion.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2021, 1:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Baklava View Post
I think the retail space will do fine
Honestly, that you think so makes me question how well you know that specific area.

Not a prayer. Not a snowball's chance.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2021, 12:31 PM

I suspect it will become office space. As mentioned, it's not a great location for retail, but I see no such challenges with offices.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2021, 2:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanWatson View Post
I suspect it will become office space. As mentioned, it's not a great location for retail, but I see no such challenges with offices.
Agreed. I think that's the inevitable outcome.

That's what happened with the retail space in Alderney Gate too - a result that was also predictable at the outset of the project (in my opinion, at least) - but the Wyse-Nantucket SE corner is an even worse retail location.

Last edited by Saul Goode; Aug 12, 2021 at 6:12 PM.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2021, 7:45 PM
Somewhat Pretentious

Quote:
Honestly, that you think so makes me question how well you know that specific area.

Not a prayer. Not a snowball's chance.
Hey, Haligonian raised my friend; outside examples don’t diminish that by an ounce. Never said it’s the best place possible and I would say it’s far from a flagship location, but it will likely be fine. As someone who has most frequently driven, but at times walked, biked or bussed across the bridge, it’s my best guess.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2021, 7:50 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanWatson View Post
The lower floors in areas like this often aren't that desirable for residential so the opportunity cost of putting in commercial is low. And part of the idea with planning for commercial space is to promote mixed use and allow for eventual neighbourhood-scale evolution. Wyse Road might look very different in 10-15 years. The road and parking infrastructure around there seems overbuilt and confusing and there are major development sites nearby.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2021, 7:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Baklava View Post
Hey, Haligonian raised my friend; outside examples don’t diminish that by an ounce. Never said it’s the best place possible and I would say it’s far from a flagship location, but it will likely be fine. As someone who has most frequently driven, but at times walked, biked or bussed across the bridge, it’s my best guess.
I don't know what you mean by "outside examples", but as a life-long Dartmouth resident (with the exception of some university years) and as one who worked in Metropolitan Place (and walked to work) and was a Sportsplex member for many years, I'm more than willing to bet an imaginary $100 that street-level retail absolutely will wither and die there. The surroundings, on all four sides, are just utterly inhospitable to shoppers.

Of course, it'll be years before our imaginary bet would be settled, but seriously - not a prayer!

Last edited by Saul Goode; Aug 12, 2021 at 8:56 PM.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2021, 8:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Wyse Road might look very different in 10-15 years.
Quite true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
The road and parking infrastructure around there seems overbuilt and confusing and there are major development sites nearby.
Appearances can be, and in this case are, misleading. Parking infrastructure there emphatically is not overbuilt. The entire Sportsplex lot is reserved for Sportsplex users, with the exception of one section of slots bordering Wyse which are rental parking and virtually all subscribed by Metropolitan Place workers. The only other nearby spaces are on the very lot in question and will be eliminated by the proposed building. Even the Dartmouth Shopping Centre lot across the street is patrolled for off-site users, who are ticketed. And there's precious little on-street parking nearby, particularly any that might be considered reasonably convenient for prospective retail customers.

The notion that there's plenty of parking around this project is simply not tenable.

Last edited by Saul Goode; Aug 12, 2021 at 8:44 PM.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2021, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Quite true.

Appearances can be, and in this case are, misleading. Parking infrastructure there emphatically is not overbuilt. The entire Sportsplex lot is reserved for Sportsplex users, with the exception of one section of slots bordering Wyse which are rental parking and virtually all subscribed by Metropolitan Place workers. The only other nearby spaces are on the very lot in question and will be eliminated by the proposed building. Even the Dartmouth Shopping Centre lot across the street is patrolled for off-site users, who are ticketed. And there's precious little on-street parking nearby, particularly any that might be considered reasonably convenient for prospective retail customers.

The notion that there's plenty of parking around this project is simply not tenable.

Yes, the "overbuilt" narrative is one propagated by the Councillor for the area and is quite far off the mark. The road infrastructure is overbuilt except for the 2-3 hours each morning and afternoon where it is woefully inadequate. Unfortunately the council member/wannabe planning dept majordomo has used his position to push through a street narrowing project that will make things worse. And as for parking, it is exactly as Mr. Goode states, virtually non-existent in any sort of convenient spots.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2021, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
Although a nice addition, that corner needs more parking, not a building where car/drivers will no doubt choose to park outside. Getting a spot to park to attend the Sportsplex will be nigh on impossible at times.
Actually the parking needs to be moved underground. In this day and age and now with he transition to electric vehicles on the horizon, there is no logic or common sense to be maintaining vast surface lots. If parking gets buried it will increase the potential of the surface land above it for future development, allow the construction of dense clusters of housing and/or commerce that will make higher density public transit far more viable.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth