Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • San Francisco Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
San Francisco Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Oct 22, 2017, 6:53 AM

Salesforce

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudolus View Post
Hi Jerry,

That may be temporary. From post #3566 it looks like the side opposite is still not filled in.
Thanks for the info. I thought the east side was done! I have not been to that side in a long time. Not as much a see-through as I thought!

Old Posted Oct 22, 2017, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt_climber13 View Post
Wish someone could get a pic of this from Alamo Square, preferably at sunset
Found this one on Flickr:

DSC_2712 by Jared Rubinsky, on Flickr

Old Posted Oct 22, 2017, 11:19 PM

^thanks! Should have thought of doing a Flickr search.

Doesn’t look too overpowering or much taller than the pyramid. A nice complement, like it was always meant to be there and finally found its place.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2017, 4:44 PM
Ω

The most out of place building is 555 California St (Bank of America Building, the brown-clad massive building). If it was clad in white stone it wouldn't stick out so much.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2017, 5:21 PM

^^And that it sticks out is a problem because . . . ?

Note: The Parthenon is white and it sticks out too. Same with the Washington Monument. Not that the quality of architecture is the same but sticking out per se is a questionable cause for complaint IMHO. As a matter of fact, to get back on-topic, I rather love the Salesforce for sticking out already.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2017, 6:03 PM
Ω

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
^^And that it sticks out is a problem because . . . ?

Note: The Parthenon is white and it sticks out too. Same with the Washington Monument. Not that the quality of architecture is the same but sticking out per se is a questionable cause for complaint IMHO. As a matter of fact, to get back on-topic, I rather love the Salesforce for sticking out already.
555 throws off the harmonious composition of the skyline. The dark brown is mismatched to the monochromatic white shades of the the skyline as a whole. Massing-wise, it's bulky in comparison to the elegant peaks of Transamerica and Salesforce. These are the reasons why I don't like it in the context of the skyline. As a building on it's own, I don't find it so bad - great materials, interesting lobby, the "bay windows" form nice interior spaces. Feel free to disagree, of course.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2017, 6:20 PM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerton View Post
555 throws off the harmonious composition of the skyline. The dark brown is mismatched to the monochromatic white shades of the the skyline as a whole. Massing-wise, it's bulky in comparison to the elegant peaks of Transamerica and Salesforce. These are the reasons why I don't like it in the context of the skyline. As a building on it's own, I don't find it so bad - great materials, interesting lobby, the "bay windows" form nice interior spaces. Feel free to disagree, of course.
I think you are spot on Zerton. 555 California is a very high quality building, though I wish it would have been covered in lighter stone. I’ve also lamented for years that the Pyramid wasn’t built to its originally planned height of 1,100 feet. The Bank of America headquarters existed first and has always overshadowed the Transamerica Pyramid from many angles.

On a lower scale in the above shot, the St. Francis tower, Burton Federal Building, and Opera Plaza are all hideous blots on the landscape that I wish could be demolished in order to improve San Francisco’s appearance.

Last edited by viewguysf; Oct 23, 2017 at 9:14 PM.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2017, 6:51 PM
Build Baby Build

I cannot confirm this yet, but from the webcam it looks like they are installing the last of the glass curtain wall on the East side this week.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2017, 7:06 PM

Quote:
You started by criticizing the COLOR for making it stick out. Now you're justifying that by criticizing other aspects. I don't at all mind the color nor that it sticks out. I have never liked the overall chunky building form (I prefer my skyscrapers tapered toward the top) so it's not my favorite buiding in town by a long shot, but not because it isn't the same color as all the others.

Incidentally, your artistic critique made me laugh.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2017, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewguysf View Post
I think you are spot on Zerton. 555 California is a very high quality building, though I wish it would have been covered in lighter stone. I’ve also lamented for years that the Pyramid wasn’t built to its originally planned height of 1,100 feet. The Bank of America headquarters existed first and has always overshadowed the Transamerica Pyramid from many angles.

On a lower scale in the above shot, the St. Francis tower, Burton Federal Building, and Opera Plaza are all hideous blots on the landscape that I wish could be demolished in order to approve San Francisco’s appearance.
I shall spend the rest of the day lamenting that each member of the SSP forum doesn't get to be Planning Director for a Day in order to be able to clean the skyline of all his/her most disliked blots upon it and impose his personal esthetic.

But tomorrow I will move on to something that matters.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2017, 7:16 PM

Quote:
In feeling free to disagree - and agreeing with Pedestrian's retort - I believe the color and massing of the former BofA world headquarters tower adds balance, contrast, and diversity to the SF skyline, countering the pervasive monochromatic, uninteresting, off-white sameness that characterizes The City's skyline in that vicinity. This effect is duplicated by towers from that era in Minneapolis with the IDS Center and Pittsburgh with the former US Steel hq tower. I am looking forward to the dramatic contrast in the works at Oceanwide Center with the taut, cool faceted glass and steel of Tower 1 vs. the warm lustrous travertine stone of the Waldorf Astoria at Tower 2.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2017, 7:30 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewguysf View Post

On a lower scale in the above shot, the St. Francis tower, Burton Federal Building, and Opera Plaza are all hideous blots on the landscape that I wish could be demolished in order to approve San Francisco’s appearance.
I wholeheartedly agree about the Burton Federal Building. I'd throw in the Intercontinental and Jasper as well.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2017, 7:27 PM

Old Posted Oct 27, 2017, 7:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botoxic View Post
It may not BE an observation deck but it sure looks like an observation deck.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2017, 7:57 PM

^^Isn't that the top floor that Salesforce guy is opening up for public events?

Old Posted Oct 27, 2017, 8:21 PM

^^^Me encanta! Charge me admission - I'm lov'in it!

Old Posted Oct 28, 2017, 12:48 AM

i know we chatted about the observation deck before

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
It may not BE an observation deck but it sure looks like an observation deck.
i know we chatted about the observation deck before so i posed the question with/to john king at the chronicle. he noted the insanity of it but did not really wish to comment further.

IMHO, I actually think it was designed into the building and boston properties decided to drop it--at least for the time being. look how the glass encircles it at human/eye level. in addition, when I perused the schematics, at least one elevator is accessible from that very floor.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2017, 1:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt_climber13 View Post
^^Isn't that the top floor that Salesforce guy is opening up for public events?
No, I think that's above the 61st floor. The 61st floor is the one that is for public events.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2017, 2:31 AM

no. one level above it. schematic attached.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal Alan View Post
No, I think that's above the 61st floor. The 61st floor is the one that is for public events.
no. the picture in question is the area highlighted in the schemetic. it also shows that the level has elevator access.

source of images: salesforcetower website.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2017, 2:52 AM
Build Baby Build

The 61st floor, AKA the Ohana floor, is an observation deck. It is the building's penthouse and it is going to be open to the public (when and how exactly is TBD).

There is no need for the crown to be zoned for public use when the floor right below will be built out for that function.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture