HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jan 12, 2021, 1:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleetMcDougle View Post
I've only just moved to Philly in June, but man does it seem like this city is just blowing up
Yeah it's really something else. I don't really pay attention to developments outside of NYC and Chicago (which I don't believe are Philly's 'peers') so it's hard to say how the development here compares to other cities of our size/stature.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2021, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeGuy View Post
Yeah it's really something else. I don't really pay attention to developments outside of NYC and Chicago (which I don't believe are Philly's 'peers') so it's hard to say how the development here compares to other cities of our size/stature.
Having just (temporarily) moved to Chicago, I can say that we're about the same in terms of momentum. Philly has more projects by volume but Chicago has a lot of high profile projects going up downtown.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2021, 8:51 PM

Construction Permits Issued for 30-Unit Mixed-Use Building in Callowhill

Current site:

Quote:
Building permits were issued yesterday at 1100 Ridge Avenue for the construction of a 7-story structure with 30 residential units, a roof deck, and accessory parking.
Read/view more here:
http://www.rising.realestate/constru...in-callowhill/

Old Posted Jan 12, 2021, 9:10 PM

The redevelopment of Cecil B. Moore Avenue through Sharswood/Brewerytown/Strawberry Mansion is starting to heat up! I'll need to take some pictures the next time I'm over that way. For now, however, this permit is interesting:

ZP-2020-007343
Jan 11, 2021
2709 CECIL B MOORE AVE, Philadelphia, PA 19121-2828
GALLON FELTON JR, ROSA M

(1) Complete demolition of existing structure at this location. (2) New construction of 4-story, 18-unit multifamily dwelling with partial basement. Roof decks at 4th floor grade as shown. 6 bike stalls at first floor. Roof access structure but no deck above 4th floor. MODERATE INCOME AFFORDABLE HOUSING BONUS PART OF THIS APPLICATION. 7' height bonus reflected in plans.

If this happens, then it will be the first significant project along Cecil B. Moore west of Ridge! That stretch has come a long way: even as recently as three years ago, it was a pretty depressing stretch. It's still not all the way there yet, but it's starting to come up.

Temple University '18 ']['

Old Posted Jan 13, 2021, 4:18 AM

Bummer, that's the Columbia Ave Theater. It would have been a great adaptive reuse project.

Last edited by Vince_; Jan 13, 2021 at 4:20 AM. Reason: photo size

Old Posted Jan 13, 2021, 3:39 PM

New Building Would be Big Improvement Over Beer City Shopping Center

Current site:

Rendering:

Rendering:

Quote:
701 E. Girard Ave. is currently a commercial shopping center and is home to a Dunkin’ Donuts, a cleaners, and a beer shop. It’s also got a terrific surface parking lot out front, which adds convenience for shoppers and makes things even less walkable on a street that we’ve already noted isn’t awesome for pedestrians.

The new building will include 53 units over four stories, a retail space on Girard that’s over 7,500 sqft in size, and a landscaped green space in the back for tenants of the building.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2021, 3:40 PM

Permits Issued For 28-Unit Structure At 1731-39 Tilghman Street In Norris Square

Current site:

Rendering:

Read/view more here:
https://phillyyimby.com/2021/01/perm...ladelphia.html

Old Posted Jan 13, 2021, 6:12 PM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_ View Post
Bummer, that's the Columbia Ave Theater. It would have been a great adaptive reuse project.

Indeed. A pity.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jan 13, 2021, 9:07 PM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
Having just (temporarily) moved to Chicago, I can say that we're about the same in terms of momentum. Philly has more projects by volume but Chicago has a lot of high profile projects going up downtown.
Not McGrath we need you back in Philly we need our Septa/Train leader!!!

But the growth is crazy amazing to see all this action happen in one day.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2021, 9:11 PM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
New Building Would be Big Improvement Over Beer City Shopping Center

Current site:

Rendering:

Rendering:

My god can we get anything that matches the block or full brick instead of the sheet metal S**t?

I mean cmon why insert a random sheet metal building next to old school ones at least try to match the style or block a little.

Other then that it is a good improvement

Old Posted Jan 13, 2021, 9:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTone View Post
Not McGrath we need you back in Philly we need our Septa/Train leader!!!

But the growth is crazy amazing to see all this action happen in one day.
I'll be back a lot, and I'll be moving back permanently in September!

Old Posted Jan 14, 2021, 4:56 PM
Chris

This would stink to lose Boyd's, but I wonder what they would do with that parking lot if they left the city.

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...re-proves.html

Old Posted Jan 14, 2021, 5:37 PM
Future World Dictator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
This would stink to lose Boyd's, but I wonder what they would do with that parking lot if they left the city.

While this article aligns with what I've heard elsewhere (that they're going to open a permanent store in the suburbs), there's nothing in it to suggest that they are going to leave Center City (and again, I haven't heard anything elsewhere to suggest that's a possibility). IMO this is an objectively positive development - a longstanding Philadelphia brand is expanding and growing.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2021, 6:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post

Doesn't sound like they want to leave the city, though I can't read the article, does it explicitly say they want to leave? From what i can read, seems like they just want a permanent suburban location to replace their temporary suburban location. I'd think the flagship store would remain.

Regardless it could still open up the parking lot. If Boyds has a permanent location on the main line, they may find they have far fewer customers who will be driving and parking at their center city location.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2021, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertown View Post
Doesn't sound like they want to leave the city, though I can't read the article, does it explicitly say they want to leave? From what i can read, seems like they just want a permanent suburban location to replace their temporary suburban location. I'd think the flagship store would remain.

Regardless it could still open up the parking lot. If Boyds has a permanent location on the main line, they may find they have far fewer customers who will be driving and parking at their center city location.
Why don't they make a huge profit on selling the lot to a developer with an agreement to get 50 spaces in a garage in a new building?

Old Posted Jan 14, 2021, 9:29 PM
Future World Dictator

Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertown View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_ View Post
Why don't they make a huge profit on selling the lot to a developer with an agreement to get 50 spaces in a garage in a new building?
This would make sense tbh, wonder if they've considered it. Maybe get some sort of valet parking arrangement, which would surely just lead to increased profits.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2021, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamrobk View Post
This would make sense tbh, wonder if they've considered it. Maybe get some sort of valet parking arrangement, which would surely just lead to increased profits.
No they do not want to leave the city, but they do want to make their suburban pop up into a permanent thing. They've renewed the lease & are actively looking for a spot in/near Ardmore for a suburban location.

I am sure that businesses like Boyd's definitely rely on a large office population to survive, so splitting up and putting a footprint into another residential area is good business.

It is another sign that retail in the city is very much suffering without office workers, and their disappearance definitely worries me. Not just for Boyds, trust me.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2021, 1:54 PM
Midrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamrobk View Post
They actually always have had free valet parking, as they did way back when they were on Market St. That it's right across the street is a selling point.

"COMPLIMENTARY VALET PARKING
The Boyds experience starts before you enter our doors. We offer free valet parking, conveniently located across the street."

https://www.boydsphila.com/pages/services

Old Posted Jan 15, 2021, 2:56 PM

If the implication that some of the posters seem to have is that Boyd's is a canary in a coal mine, I couldn't disagree more. They are an odd duck in terms of retailers. I have lived in Philadelphia for nearly 30 years, and during that time have always either worked or lived in Center City, and I don't recall ever setting foot inside Boyd's. I can't think of a single friend who mentioned they shopped there either. Their parking lot is the biggest missed economic opportunity in Center City since DiBruno's Cheese shop finally opened an outpost on Chestnut Street. Lastly, with Center City's population of middle and upper class residents booming, retail will eventually follow. Having said that, of course, I wouldn't want an iconic retail establishment to close, even if I don't use it.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2021, 3:06 PM
Future World Dictator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayfar View Post
They actually always have had free valet parking, as they did way back when they were on Market St. That it's right across the street is a selling point.

"COMPLIMENTARY VALET PARKING
The Boyds experience starts before you enter our doors. We offer free valet parking, conveniently located across the street."

https://www.boydsphila.com/pages/services
Shows how often I shop at Boyds!!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development