Salesforce Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • San Francisco Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
San Francisco Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Nov 11, 2014, 6:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakamesalad View Post
So was it 60 or 64 stories?
60 stories until the Wilshire Grand is done, then 64.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2014, 10:29 PM
Get me out of here

It's been a full month without an update...

Old Posted Dec 10, 2014, 11:29 PM
Build Baby Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by brantw View Post
It's been a full month without an update...
http://oxblue.com/open/clarkconstruc...alesforcetower This is the best update.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2014, 2:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fimiak View Post
They are taking away the drill rig so they are done with shoring. They should start excavation next.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2014, 1:41 AM

i wonder if this is being held pending the tax issue?

I noticed how far (ahead) the wilshire grand has come in the same amount of time. Even the foster tower in philly looks to be ahead of this one.

there was also just a webcam posting of the site in the san francisco projects forum that showed equipment on site but they have not even started digging (below ground level) .

i looked through the fence about a year ago and it looks exactly the same.

i am wondering? is the holdup all about the tax issue? to my knowledge, it has not been resolved.

i wonder if they are pushing dirt around to keep the sales and marketed staff happy.

Last edited by boyinthecity; Dec 18, 2014 at 1:45 AM. Reason: typing mistake in title.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2014, 4:04 AM

Generally, it has been my experience that companies don't spend tens of thousands of dollars daily (labor, equipment, fuel) just to keep sales and marketing staffs happy.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2014, 4:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyinthecity View Post
I noticed how far (ahead) the wilshire grand has come in the same amount of time. Even the foster tower in philly looks to be ahead of this one.

there was also just a webcam posting of the site in the san francisco projects forum that showed equipment on site but they have not even started digging (below ground level) .

i am wondering? is the holdup all about the tax issue? to my knowledge, it has not been resolved.

i wonder if they are pushing dirt around to keep the sales and marketed staff happy.
Lol,
Wilshire didn't have to pour caissons nearly 300ft deep (already finished) , shoring is now wrapping up, they are not simply "moving dirt around". All you need to do is watch the web cam.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2014, 5:38 PM
She needs her space

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyinthecity View Post

They have started excavating - it's hard to see from the webcam, and hard to grab pictures of because of the fence, but if you lived here and saw in person you would be as impatient as we all are, but you would have a better understanding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by botoxic View Post
Generally, it has been my experience that companies don't spend tens of thousands of dollars daily (labor, equipment, fuel) just to keep sales and marketing staffs happy.
Well a liiiittttttle more than that. Almost $200M for the land alone and many millions on completed prep work (caissons, shoring, etc).

The cost it takes to consider and prep a tower in SF is not much less than the cost to finish a tower in many other cities. This is going to be the centerpiece of Boston Properties' empire. Boston Properties. And Hines.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2014, 6:47 PM

This is the work that is just wrapping up.. and as many of us have stated caisson work is already complete..

http://www.raitoinc.com/featured-projects.html
Installation of a soil-cement-bentonite cutoff wall to provide ground water cutoff and excavation support for construction of the Salesforce Tower. The Salesforce Tower is the centerpiece of the San Francisco Transbay redevelopment plan in the South of Market district in San Francisco and at 1,070ft, this skyscraper will be the tallest building west of the Mississippi River when completed. The cutoff wall is drilled to depths between 100ft to 116ft with steel beams ranging from 75ft to 112ft in length installed every four linear feet to support excavations up to 81ft deep.

Last edited by rocketman_95046; Dec 18, 2014 at 7:02 PM.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2014, 2:50 AM

I wonder if they are including the 116 foot foundation in the total building height by labeling it the "tallest building west of the Mississippi"

Old Posted Dec 19, 2014, 3:27 AM

Regardless of it being 60 or 64 floors, will it still be 1,070 feet tall or is it planned to be taller?

Old Posted Dec 19, 2014, 3:47 AM

There is an art piece planned to be installed, with some mentioning it will be placed on top of the tower. Whether that increases the official height is unknown, but if a spire counts, I don't see why not! Everything is hush, but this tower does have an advantage over Wilshire in that it will be completed afterward, so any secret last minute tadas would come out then. We'll just have to patiently wait and see what happens.

Curators selected for Transbay Tower $3.3 million public art

Old Posted Dec 19, 2014, 4:51 PM

This is going to be a beast!

Old Posted Dec 19, 2014, 5:52 PM

Looking at the salesforce tower camera, I can't help but think that once this tower starts reaching its max height, the top might be barely seen if they don't move the camera up a bit. Lol I'm just looking at the 600 ft (Fremont Center) right next to it, which is a bit over half of this monster's height.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2014, 6:10 PM

Quote:
There is an art piece planned to be installed, with some mentioning it will be placed on top of the tower. Whether that increases the official height is unknown, but if a spire counts, I don't see why not! Everything is hush, but this tower does have an advantage over Wilshire in that it will be completed afterward, so any secret last minute tadas would come out then. We'll just have to patiently wait and see what happens.

Curators selected for Transbay Tower $3.3 million public art
I keep hearing about these last second secret adjustments to height.

Has that happened in the United States, in the last 50 years? San Francisco especially doesn't strike me as the kind of city to "wing it" on building heights.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2014, 7:36 PM
Get me out of here

Quote:
I wonder if they are including the 116 foot foundation in the total building height by labeling it the "tallest building west of the Mississippi"
Yeah, I don't know why they say this, when Wilshire Grand is clearly taller.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2014, 1:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hruski View Post
I keep hearing about these last second secret adjustments to height.

Has that happened in the United States, in the last 50 years? San Francisco especially doesn't strike me as the kind of city to "wing it" on building heights.
Just apply for a variance to increase the top "open air metal screen wall" from 115'-6" to 145'-6". It will only add 25% to the feature.

This can be done towards the end of construction, when Wilshire Grand has long been completed.

Done.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2014, 2:07 AM

^He is right. Back when I attended the Transbay planning meetings, yeeeeears ago, the Transbay neighborhood plan allows for open air/ transparent screens or spires on the tops of buildings something like an additional 10% or 20% (can't remember how much exactly) of the total zoned roof height. This does *not count* at all into the total approved height of a building. So if the plot that the Transbay Tower is zoned for is 1,000 ft., and even if it were at 10% of that, the total height of the building could be 1,100 feet, and these laws/ regulations/ whatever you want to call them have already been drafted, debated, and written into law and voted on by supervisors and the mayor. So there wouldn't need to be any additional public comments, environmental reviews, etc. It's already been done.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2014, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd3189 View Post
More cities around the country need to at least have one or two supertalls on average. Especially major cities like San Fran and Miami.
San Francisco has always had an impressive natural setting, but Ive never considered it much of a skyline with pretty much only the pyramid to catch my eye. I think once this is complete I would consider it among my top 10 for North America. Very impressive project. I hope the make haste with construction!

Old Posted Dec 22, 2014, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyarch21 View Post
San Francisco has always had an impressive natural setting, but Ive never considered it much of a skyline with pretty much only the pyramid to catch my eye. I think once this is complete I would consider it among my top 10 for North America. Very impressive project. I hope the make haste with construction!
This + 181 Fremont + 50 1st St are enough to make SF's skyline behind only NYC/Chicago, as far as North American city skylines go.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture