HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area

Old Posted Jun 2, 2021, 2:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
Neither the Kaiser/Railyards nor the Mohanna project need to do an EIR (or the Canopy Hotel), they're covered by the governing specific plans (Railyards and Central City) but apparently the 19J project isn't leasing out many of its more expensive units (the 275-300 sf units renting for $1000-1500 rented immediately, the 400-900 units renting for $2500-4000 not so much) which supposedly complicates things for 19J. Kaiser, we'll see what happens but environmental review isn't the issue so much as the finances of the Railyards; I'm not sure how much effect the MLS stuff has on that. Demo was completed for the 800 K/L project so presumably that will get moving soon, although I know folks here aren't as enthusiastic about midrise projects.
That's interesting about the Mohanna project, their 19J project listed what they were anticipating asking for rents right before construction and they were significantly less then what they actually ended up asking, so they hit a big windfall with rents on that project and it should be very profitable. I wonder if its the huge increase in the cost of building materials that is really the problem now.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2021, 5:39 AM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
Demo was completed for the 800 K/L project so presumably that will get moving soon, although I know folks here aren't as enthusiastic about midrise projects.
I can’t speak for anyone but myself; but I have absolutely no problem with mid rise projects, as long as they aren’t cookie cutter or suburban appearing. I’m also ok with low rise as long as a project can add density and increase pedestrian activity.

Btw wburg, I don’t always agree with everything you advocate for in terms of historic preservation; but I do believe you deserve kudos for always fighting to preserve our local history and architectural significant buildings. Again, people may disagree with the definition of ‘historical’ but I don’t think anyone can say that you’re not always trying to preserve the buildings and architectural styles that make Sacramento unique.

Last edited by urban_encounter; Jun 4, 2021 at 11:12 AM.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2021, 7:06 PM
Hindrance to Development

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban_encounter View Post
I can’t speak for anyone but myself; but I have absolutely no problem with mid rise projects, as long as they aren’t cookie cutter or suburban appearing. I’m also ok with low rise as long as a project can add density and increase pedestrian activity.

Btw wburg, I don’t always agree with everything you advocate for in terms of historic preservation; but I do believe you deserve kudos for always fighting to preserve our local history and architectural significant buildings. Again, people may disagree with the definition of ‘historical’ but I don’t think anyone can say that you’re not always trying to preserve the buildings and architectural styles that make Sacramento unique.
I think it's not so much that people have a problem with midrise projects here (except maybe Majin) as they're disappointed that they are midrise projects instead of highrise projects, based on the idea that we "deserve" them somehow. I suppose I'd rather see midrise projects that get built vs. high-rise projects that never get beyond the rendering phase, and a lot of analysis I've seen shows that neighborhoods of this sort of midrise construction (more the European style city) actually result in higher population densities than neighborhoods of high-rises, because the units are smaller and less expensive (if still not cheap), and more likely to be used for housing vs. corporate suites/investment properties or second homes that stay vacant. So it becomes a question of pragmatic economics vs. aesthetics: where we are as a city, midrises get done and get occupied, even if they're kinda blocky looking, while snazzy looking high-rises never get off the ground, because the money doesn't work.

Thanks for the kind words though, a lot of the folks who disagree with the definition of "historic" don't know that there are actual professional criteria for what makes a building historic or not, which is where some of the debate tends to occur (for starters, it isn't just its architecture that makes a place historic or not). I see preservation as a growth strategy and a housing strategy: we fix up old buildings because a vacant old building downtown next to a vacant lot isn't very appealing, but a vacant lot next to a rehabbed historic building is an opportunity to build something new on that lot. In this case, the rehab and reuse of the Bel-Vue Apartments, a historic building, preceded the next step in building new housing on the adjacent lots. And these days, we're seeing a lot more fixed-up historic buildings, and a lot fewer vacant lots, to the point where now we're moving on to building on parking lots. Another plus is that a lot of the historic rehab projects are frequently combined with affordable housing, due to the advantages of combining two different types of tax credits, which can apparently be a tougher sell with new construction.

I fight to save historic buildings so they will be used to serve contemporary needs, and what we're seeing in the central city is a fairly robust combination of new construction and preservation to get us back towards the central city population we had in 1950 (before redevelopment "modernized" half the population out of downtown.) But to do that, the "Missing Middle" type (middle density in between SFH and small apartments) will be even more important, not just in the central city (where they're already allowed) but citywide (where, for the most part, they are not.) But that's definitely outside the scope of a "skyscraper" forum--there just isn't a "MissingMiddleHousingPage" yet.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2021, 10:14 PM

As long as there are huge lots of dirt sitting around (Railyards/Richards Blvd, the Grid, West Sac) it will be hard to build a high rise that's more than a vanity project- especially with COVID and the new work-from-home lifestyle that many companies are accommodating, going to make office space more of a grey area in terms of developers and companies devoting money to it.

Over the past decade I've seen a lot of mid rises go up dotted around the Grid, which has been nice to fill in and get a lot of 4, 5-story buildings up, a few larger ones here and there. West Sac has a kind of island of these things going up by the ballpark/The Barn and more are coming. I'd like to see more height over there but if that whole area is 4-5 story residential/mixed-use that could be a really cool area.

After more of these areas become devleoped, and empty space becomes more scarce, only then will we see taller stuff go up more out of necessity than vanity. So, bring on the mid-rises!

Old Posted Jun 17, 2021, 7:56 PM

What is the reaction to the 12 story hospital and med school planned at Arco Arena?

Old Posted Jun 18, 2021, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanadvocate View Post
What is the reaction to the 12 story hospital and med school planned at Arco Arena?
Yawn. I tend to dislike buildings that tall out in the middle of nowhere, would rather that be somewhere like where Kaiser in the Railyards is- but it's good for the people of Natomas and the aging population that all bought single family homes up there in the past couple of decades, who will be becoming seniors in the decades to come.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2021, 4:41 PM

Quote:
Good to finally see some potential action on this property. If I understood correctly, the proposed hospital and associated development will use 45 acres. Will be interesting to see what becomes of the balance of the site.

It would be great to have an additional 3000 good jobs in the city of Sacramento.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2021, 8:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieler View Post
Good to finally see some potential action on this property. If I understood correctly, the proposed hospital and associated development will use 45 acres. Will be interesting to see what becomes of the balance of the site.

It would be great to have an additional 3000 good jobs in the city of Sacramento.
I still think something like an amusement park would be an ideal use to plug into the site.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2021, 10:31 PM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistola916 View Post
301 is dead. With more people working remotely, there isn't a need for a 33-story office tower. If a proposal were to come back, I expect a hotel/residential high-rise of 20-25 stories, maybe they can sprinkle a few floors for office.

But I dunno, we may see another decade of nothingness.

At this point I would prefer the city acquire the site and create a new park (similar to Caesar Chavez). It would require a lot of infill dirt to fill in the hole, but it would be much nicer than what’s there now.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2021, 10:47 PM
“The Big EasyChair”

Cathedral Square 11th & J streets

Is under construction. Cement pad has been poured and the base of the tower crane is in place. (Not sure why they’ll need a tower crane for a building that tops off at six stories)?

Last edited by urban_encounter; Jun 21, 2021 at 3:04 PM.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2021, 5:26 PM

This is pretty big news for the midrise type of building that we've seen popping up around midtown.

Quote:
On July 1, California will greenlight mass timber buildings up to 18 stories tall, allow for increased square footage and present clear guidelines for architects working with the material. Mass timber projects were previously capped at five stories for residential buildings and six for office or commercial use.
https://www.bizjournals.com/sacramen...code-tall.html

Old Posted Jun 27, 2021, 12:00 AM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacTownAndy View Post
This is pretty big news for the midrise type of building that we've seen popping up around midtown.

Yeah there’s a few good documentaries on YouTube about timber high rise development.

Last edited by urban_encounter; Jul 11, 2021 at 2:13 AM. Reason: typo

Old Posted Jul 2, 2021, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacTownAndy View Post

18 stories all wood?? I know it is possible with engineering but.. I wouldn't want to live in one of those.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2021, 1:38 AM

Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAGeoNerd View Post
18 stories all wood?? I know it is possible with engineering but.. I wouldn't want to live in one of those.
Anything higher then 5 should be steel construction not wood or cement. I wouldn’t trust it.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2021, 2:39 PM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deno View Post
Anything higher then 5 should be steel construction not wood or cement. I wouldn’t trust it.
Timber will char but not burn per se’ allowing it to maintain its weight bearing strength. The strength of timber is as strong as steel but timber absorbs CO2 emissions whereas steel does not.

DW and The B1B both have some fascinating videos on YouTube.

I suspect we might eventually see a timber mid rise or high rise in Sacramento at some point.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2021, 1:02 PM

Quote:
I think it's not so much that people have a problem with midrise projects here (except maybe Majin) as they're disappointed that they are midrise projects instead of highrise projects, based on the idea that we "deserve" them somehow. I suppose I'd rather see midrise projects that get built vs. high-rise projects that never get beyond the rendering phase, and a lot of analysis I've seen shows that neighborhoods of this sort of midrise construction (more the European style city) actually result in higher population densities than neighborhoods of high-rises, because the units are smaller and less expensive (if still not cheap), and more likely to be used for housing vs. corporate suites/investment properties or second homes that stay vacant. So it becomes a question of pragmatic economics vs. aesthetics: where we are as a city, midrises get done and get occupied, even if they're kinda blocky looking, while snazzy looking high-rises never get off the ground, because the money doesn't work.

Thanks for the kind words though, a lot of the folks who disagree with the definition of "historic" don't know that there are actual professional criteria for what makes a building historic or not, which is where some of the debate tends to occur (for starters, it isn't just its architecture that makes a place historic or not). I see preservation as a growth strategy and a housing strategy: we fix up old buildings because a vacant old building downtown next to a vacant lot isn't very appealing, but a vacant lot next to a rehabbed historic building is an opportunity to build something new on that lot. In this case, the rehab and reuse of the Bel-Vue Apartments, a historic building, preceded the next step in building new housing on the adjacent lots. And these days, we're seeing a lot more fixed-up historic buildings, and a lot fewer vacant lots, to the point where now we're moving on to building on parking lots. Another plus is that a lot of the historic rehab projects are frequently combined with affordable housing, due to the advantages of combining two different types of tax credits, which can apparently be a tougher sell with new construction.

I fight to save historic buildings so they will be used to serve contemporary needs, and what we're seeing in the central city is a fairly robust combination of new construction and preservation to get us back towards the central city population we had in 1950 (before redevelopment "modernized" half the population out of downtown.) But to do that, the "Missing Middle" type (middle density in between SFH and small apartments) will be even more important, not just in the central city (where they're already allowed) but citywide (where, for the most part, they are not.) But that's definitely outside the scope of a "skyscraper" forum--there just isn't a "MissingMiddleHousingPage" yet.
While wburg and I often disagree, he is dead-on with most of this and it is a development philosophy we share. Bringing new life to historic structures and positioning them to thrive for another 70 years is one of my great joys.

Where we disagree is when groups demand no change in use, as I believe was the case for the old SP train station. Forcing that beautiful structure to remain the main ticketing option, despite being hundreds of feet from the actual platforms, seems shortsighted. It would have made a spectacular hotel lobby or any number of other uses, but reasonable people can disagree on that kind of thing.

I've spent two years working to renovate an abandoned theater in the western United States. Part of our plan involved reducing capacity and mixing a few residential units into the theater itself. These units would have been entirely within the existing footprint and enjoyed their own, private view of the stage. Pretty cool...

The revenue from these units (and others) was to be leveraged as part of the debt service to renovate the existing theater.

Looks like we've lost this battle, part of it due to preservationists demanding no change at all in use and no reduction in existing capacity (about 20%). Without those units, the financing collapses. To be clear, that wasn't the only issue as the project presented many challenges, but it is an example of even well-meaning people getting to locked-in to a mindset that prevents achieving shared goals.

Bill and I also share a respect for, and an embrace of, the philosophy of Jane Jacobs, whose seminal work, "The Death and Life of Great American Cities" should be required reading to anyone interested in not only planning and development, but in thriving lifestyles that encourage humans to blossom and prosper.

She had no formal training in planning, and this is probably why she advocated an organic, bottom-up approach to development and livability. It's also a reason some of today's planners are not her biggest fans...

The failure that Bill describes in post 1950s "redevelopment" in Sacramento that mowed-down thriving communities Robert Moses style was the result of an hubris among many in planning who think they know best for everyone and that they should determine how and where you live, how (or even if) you should drive, even down to such minutiae as what appliances you should be allowed to buy and when you should be allowed to operate them.

It's the antithesis of what Jane Jacobs advocated and the differences between what most would consider successful communities could not be more clear.

Midtown thrives and part of the reason is an organically-driven preservation of historic structures that while not the high-rises that some prefer (and typically are not burdened by fiscal reality), bring life, and nurture meaning and tradition to communities in a way that scrape-and-build projects just can't.

The key, as in all things, is finding balance between the two.

I appreciate your work Bill...

Old Posted Jul 15, 2021, 9:00 PM

New activity in the Railyard?

Driving through today I noticed two areas that had some activity that I don't recall hearing about:

1. South side of Railyards Blvd at Bercut: Drilling, earthwork, reagent tanks. Anyone know what is going on there?

2. North side of Railyard Blvd near 7th (almost across the street from the under construction apartments): Large area of earthwork - looks like prepping for construction. Anyone know what is going to be built there?

Old Posted Aug 13, 2021, 7:11 PM

Anybody have any info on the new River District proposal around 16th and North B Street? It is over 500 new units of housing but in a very questionable area. Guess have to start somewhere!

Old Posted Aug 13, 2021, 7:52 PM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
Anybody have any info on the new River District proposal around 16th and North B Street? It is over 500 new units of housing but in a very questionable area. Guess have to start somewhere!
I think that is the new Federal low income housing (but I’m not 100% certain).

Old Posted Aug 14, 2021, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Are you talking about the "Growers District" proposal?

It is 3 sites along North 16th Street, within the River District redevelopment area. The properties are at 200, 211 and 215 N. 16th St.

They would either be partially or totally redeveloped.

It looks like the one story old brick facades will remain in-place, and new buildings will be constructed on top of or behind them.

Bauen Capital is the developer.

Vrilakas Groen is the architect.

The unit count is between 500 and 540. (An article last week said it would be nearly 700 units. The unit counts on the plans don't add up.)

Commercial space would be 70,000 square feet.

200 N 16th is the largest parcel. A U-shaped site, the existing building, which rounds the perimeter on three sides, would be repurposed into commercial space, probably a public market with lots of stalls and small restaurants. The north side of the ring will have an apartment building of 6 - 7 stories on top. In the middle of the site, an apartment building (around 7 - 8 stories, maybe?) would be built. 200 N 16th would have a total of 350 apartments.

The other two sites are across the street. They would have 120 and 70 residential units plus some commercial space.

NOTE: This is not the low income housing project. Urban, you may be thinking Marisol Village in the Dos Rios Triangle, to the northwest. Marisol Village is currently under construction.

This new project will be market rate. However, it looks like most units are planned as studios. Though it appears there would be some 1 or 2 bedroom units. The housing units will be between 540 - 800 square feet.

The sites are in an opportunity zone; so the developer has to get going to receive any tax benefits.

It's a crappy area right now. However, if we can get 5 or 6 more good projects in that area, I think it could be really nice.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area