HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Feb 11, 2015, 3:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wig-Wag View Post
From the same website, here is the neon in all it's glory!

Cheers,
Jack
Isnt that the East LA station.....

Old Posted Feb 11, 2015, 3:22 AM

Yes it is unihikid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

East Los Angeles Union Pacific Station at 5480 Ferguson Avenue. Somehow we've overlooked this charming little train station.

http://content.cdlib.org/ark:/13030/kt167nd7x0/

It still stand today....behind a wire fence.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8426355...5911/lightbox/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/39252242@N07/4851328387/

__

The following photos were taken in 2001.

http://losangelesrevisited.blogspot....bello-and.html

http://losangelesrevisited.blogspot....bello-and.html
__

Just to be sure that it's still there I checked Google Earth. Yep, still there!

Google Earth

__

Old Posted Feb 11, 2015, 6:49 AM

Quote:
I remember going to the top of the Bonaventure for drinks in the 1980s.
It revolved very sloooowly. My friend and I thought it was great. Does it still revolve?
__
Yes, it does and coincidentally, the Bonaventure's pool deck makes a teensy cameo in Collateral.

As the East Los Angeles Station has come up again, I wanted to bring GW's excellent screenshot post of The Postman Always Rings Twice forward to remind us of happier, noiry days at the little station. It still stands, still boarded up and shorn of all context at 5480 Ferguson Dr, Commerce:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post
I was mixing up Lana with Barbara as far as whose husband was dropped off in East L.A.--Barbara dropped hers off at the Tropico station (rebadged "Glendale" for Double Indemnity). Lana's husband Nick was dead by the time of the train station scenes with Audrey Totter when Lana arrives back from Iowa... anyway, the station in Postman was indeed the East Los Angeles station. Here are some screenshots:

All pics Warner Bros.

There's a nice undated shot here showing the station covered in creeping fig

Last edited by tovangar2; Oct 22, 2015 at 6:38 PM. Reason: add link

Old Posted Feb 11, 2015, 6:57 AM

Quote:
Aerial dated August 1932.

eBay

__
This a great photo, and the year written on it looks like 1932, but the photo looks more like August 1938 than August 1932.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2015, 8:54 AM

[QUOTE=ethereal_reality;6909219]The seller doesn't say, but I'm guessing the two 1970 slides below were taken by someone staying in one of the upper floors of the Holiday Inn (now the Loews Hollywood Hotel).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1970s-Los-An...item3aa0a5cb40

above: That's the El Capitan Theater (not the one on Vine Street that we recently discussed) and next to it is the old Masonic Temple.

Good to see a photo showing the Side Show on the far right side of the building on the left.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2015, 3:01 PM

What was the Side Show BDiH?

__

Old Posted Feb 11, 2015, 3:31 PM

This is the third time in as many months that the old Los Angeles County Tuberculosis Unit has shown up in the background of one of my pics.

http://www.auctiva.com/hostedimages/...0,0,0&format=0

With that in mind, I'm pretty sure this photograph was taken somewhere within the Macy Street Yards.
-note the guy in the shed----->

below: This shows a little more of the building on the right, and what looks like trolley chassis & wheels.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Feb 12, 2015 at 6:14 PM.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2015, 3:43 PM

The seller also had this slide for sale.

This location is more of a mystery. The best clue is probably the Safeway grocery store on the far right.---->

below: This view gives you a better view of the lumber co. on the left. (I think the name on the building might be 'Blanchard'.

__

Old Posted Feb 11, 2015, 3:57 PM

Does anyone recognize this nice looking building?

ebay

"Baldwin Park, Los Angeles County, building with stained glass windows."

reverse

__

Old Posted Feb 11, 2015, 4:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingwedge View Post
This a great photo, and the year written on it looks like 1932, but the photo looks more like August 1938 than August 1932.

Yes, definitely 1938. The old Court House and Post Office were both still standing in 1932.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2015, 4:51 PM

North Hollywood Station

Sorry. Duplicate post deleted. See below.

Jack

Last edited by Wig-Wag; Feb 11, 2015 at 6:42 PM. Reason: Deleted

Old Posted Feb 11, 2015, 4:54 PM

North Hollywood Station

Quote:
The seller also had this slide for sale.

This location is more of a mystery. The best clue is probably the Safeway grocery store on the far right.---->

below: This view gives you a better view of the lumber co. on the left. (I think the name on the building might be 'Blanchard'.

__
ER, this is my home town of North Hollywood, and this is where I developed my interesting in railroading and electric traction as we did not have a car. The PE Hollywood cars were my ticket to adventure!

Where Blanchard Lumber Company stood is the entrance to today's METRO Red Line. Also, after the end of rail passenger service the station was used as a builders supply until the late 1990's or early 2000's, and has since been restored. See:

http://la.curbed.com/tags/north-hollywood-train-depot

Also, a personal tale with more vintage photos of the station and a description of the industries along the tracks plus a map: http://lariverrailroads.com/jacks_1.html

One other item. While it is not visible in the photo, the track directly in front of the station where the car on the right is loading at one time continued across Lankershim Boulevard. This was changed when the Safeway was built.

The other photo you posted is indeed the PE Macy street shops. And those are either previously changed out wheel sets or new wheel sets for installation. One would have to be standing next to them to detect any wear as the machined surfaces of the tread and flange tend to rust quickly in the open air.

Cheers,
Jack

Last edited by Wig-Wag; Feb 11, 2015 at 6:50 PM.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2015, 5:39 PM

nice thread

Old Posted Feb 11, 2015, 5:45 PM

Quote:
OK. I just found this on eBay and I have a question:

Did the 'City of Los Angeles' really have it's name spelled out in NEON on the rear car?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/UNION-PACIFI...item43d7328306

I had no idea there was neon on any train, let alone the 'City of Los Angeles'.

Looking closer, I see that it's encased (is that plexiglass?) to protect it from flying rocks and what-not.
__
In the golden age of great trains, it was fairly common for certain "name" trains to carry their names, usually illuminated, on the observation car. You might want to take a look at the "Streamliner Schedules" page on Facebook; if you can't find photos, you can find names. You can Google/Image the name and usually find an example of the sign. Names I would check are "The Chief" and "The Super Chief" (Santa Fe); "The Twentieth Century Limited" (New York Central) and "The Broadway Limited" (Pennsylvania RR), but there were many others. Frequently, these trains were all-first-class, all-Pullman (sometimes all-room) trains that made limited stops and ran on schedules that are considerably faster than what is available today. For example, The Twentieth Century and the Broadway ran on 18-hour schedules, enabling a business person to leave one city in the late afternoon; arrive the next morning; spend a working day, and then make the return trip, arriving at his original destination in time for work.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2015, 5:48 PM

Hi everyone:

I'm new in this forum, but have been enjoying reading particularly this thread for a while. So many amazing posts and great historic photos of L.A.! I came here because my interest in researching filming locations aroused my general interest in L.A. history.

It may be slightly off topic, but I thought some of you true L.A. historians might be able to help me, particularly after I read we have some ex-Lorimar employees here! I am doing a filming location research about "Falcon Crest", which was produced by Lorimar in the 1980's. I am the president of falconcrest.org, the organization preserving the show's cultural heritage; we maintain the show's website as well as the network of cast, crew and staff members and the fan club.

In a 1986 episode, the series featured a bank somewhere in Greater L.A. I am attaching a few screen grabs. The columns seem to be Corinthian décor, and there seem to be murals (or huge paintings?) in the foyer. Please also note that, from the entrance, there are a few stairs down from the street level when you enter the building. Also, there are a few more steps from the anteroom down to the huge bank foyer.
My first guess was it might be the Farmers and Merchants Bank on 401 South Main Street, but that isn't the case. Neither is it the heavily filmed old Bank of America at 650 South Spring Street.

Just as a side note, I do know that the first twelve episodes per season were usually filmed on location in Napa, Sonoma and San Francisco, but I ruled out that possibility for this bank. Having researched various production documents, I know the bank scene was filmed in L.A., but unfortunately the papers I have don't give away the exact location.

Can anyone help me identify this, please?

Thanks a lot -- and please keep up this excellent thread,

THOMAS

All screen captures © 1986 Lorimar (now Warner Bros. Entertainment, Inc.):

Old Posted Feb 11, 2015, 5:51 PM

Additionally, these trains often had their names, illuminated, at their departure and arrival tracks in their terminal stations. The Twentieth Century Limited also had a red carpet that was rolled out at its track in Grand Central Terminal; its Chicago terminal was La Salle Street; don't know if there was a red carpet there.

This site is THE authority on passenger rail service in the good old days:

http://www.streamlinerschedules.com/

Old Posted Feb 11, 2015, 7:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.J.P. View Post
Can anyone help me identify this, please?

All screen captures © 1986 Lorimar (now Warner Bros. Entertainment, Inc.):

Hi Thomas, that's currently the Bank of the West's Pasadena Branch, 595 E Colorado Blvd.

http://walknridela.com/roaming-the-r...ena-adventure/

Last edited by tovangar2; Feb 11, 2015 at 8:03 PM. Reason: fix link

Old Posted Feb 11, 2015, 8:20 PM

Welcome to the thread, Thomas. You're certainly not the only one here who's interested in TV/movie locations. As far as '80s TV goes, I've found most of the California filming locations for 'The Dukes of Hazzard' and some more for 'CHiPs', while Moxie has done the same for 'Scarecrow and Mrs King'. I know there are other members whose interests lie with other shows too.

Now that tovangar2 has identified your location, here are some pictures of the Bank of the West's Pasadena Branch that I found on sgvtribune.com (the whole set contains 18 pictures). The murals are apparently by Alson Clark, and date from 1928/29. It looks like the photos were taken in 2011.

All from sgvtribune.com. Photos by Walt Mancini.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2015, 9:11 PM

Hi tovangar2 and HossC -- thank you both so much!

I somehow felt that some of you guys here on this forum would know. That's been a great help!

By the way, are there any specific websites for the locations of "The Dukes of Hazzard" and "CHiPs" you identified as well as for Moxie's findings for "Scarecrow and Mrs King"? It's always interesting to see what kindred spirits discover!

"The Dukes" and "Scarecrow & Mrs. King" were also filmed at what used to be The Burbank Studios (Warner Bros. Studios)... as were the first three "Falcon Crest" seasons, but I am pretty sure you know that. If any of you need photos from the backlot, I'll be happy to help out. I visited the WB lot many times.

I look forward to exchanging more information in the future. What a great forum!

Old Posted Feb 11, 2015, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.J.P. View Post

By the way, are there any specific websites for the locations of "The Dukes of Hazzard" and "CHiPs" you identified as well as for Moxie's findings for "Scarecrow and Mrs King"? It's always interesting to see what kindred spirits discover!
My 'Dukes of Hazzard' locations can be found on a thread called Hazzard Square on hazzardnet.com. It started out as a list of businesses in Hazzard County, but grew to include many of the filming locations (mainly around Lake Sherwood and Santa Clarita, but some in Hollywood and Burbank).

The 'CHiPs' locations I found were added to the episode guides of the CHiPs Wiki at chips-tv.com. I think all of these were in Los Angeles.

Moxie's 'Scarecrow and Mrs King' locations can be found here on scarecrowandmrskingforum.yuku.com. These covered both sides of the country, so Moxie had a much bigger job to do.

Speaking of '80s TV filming locations, I was watching a season 4 (1986) epsiode of 'Knight Rider' earlier when I spotted a familiar sight. In the episode 'Deadly Knightshade', Michael and KITT pull up outside the 'Ocean Breezes Hotel'.

Glen A. Larson Productions/Universal TV

For anyone who didn't spot the Ambassador Hotel, there's a big clue on the carpet as KITT pulls out of shot. I've read that the interior shots were filmed at the Pasadena Playhouse.

Glen A. Larson Productions/Universal TV

The previous episode of 'Knight Rider', 'Out of the Woods', set fire to the old Duke Farm at the Valencia Oaks Movie Ranch. You can see my HazzardNet posts about that, and the remodeled Boar's Nest from the same episode, here and here.

This entrance to the Ambassador Hotel seen in 'Knight Rider' was covered recently by e_r in post #23740 and post #23795.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos