HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Apr 26, 2007, 12:28 AM

Opinions are fine by me. Mine states that until the building is stripped from its historic artifacts and ornamental fixtures, it's just going through a stage of troubled upkeep. Maybe some call that deterioration, maybe not.

The David Whitney, just down the street at Grand Circus, in my mind deteriorated. It became so unused that people abused it, and defaced it on numerous levels. Maybe it still has some power, maybe it has a security guard, but all in all, it has deteriorated from neglect.

The Book Tower is still operational.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2007, 12:35 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

Michi,

On this one, I blame the local papers. They were SO quick to report on the pulling of power, but did NO follow-up story that would have revealed that the power was turned back on within a matter of hours. It's sensational journalism at its worst, and those that wanted to believe the worse were heartened to hear that there was even the possibility that the power was pulled on this one.

"Irresponsible" isn't even the word for what the 'news' story (i.e. the hit job) the papers did on this one.

The only points that matter in the long run are:

1. Power was returned to the building soon after it was pulled. DTE probably pulled it to get the new owners attention.

2. Unlike some other plans, this building has solid, concrete plans for renovation (i.e. worked out with an architect), and has had upgrade. The building, again, at the very worst, has stagnanted in the type of tenants it can attract.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2007, 12:54 AM
Eurosceptic

This thread is the reason why I was under the impression that Book Tower was in a state of deterioration:
http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/in...howtopic=37062

wolverine: "BTW, this is probably the end for the tower. With no solid renovation plans, it may as well be abandoned now. I don't see how tenants can work without power/internet/phone etc. "

wolverine: "Yeah, and the company that now owns it doesn't even have the finances to keep the power on. Forget a renovation."

Allan: "This isn't too surprising. I know they were about 2 years behind on their water bills, and probably just as far behind on the electric bills.

"Parts of the building are literally in a state of ruin. If you didn't know any better, you'd have no idea that it was an occupied building. Bathrooms don't work, windows leak, heat is broken. The building is a mess, and really does need a complete renovation to continue to be viable. Everyone always complains about the dirty exterior, but that really is the least of the problems."

Allan: "I was there during a thunderstorm once and saw the rain just pouring into the windows."

wolverine: "Actually, the building is one of the best symbols of Detroit IMO.....Dirty, decaying, and dying."

lmichigan: "the current owners did also allow the Book Tower website address to expire."

I apologize if I'm wrong... but that thread led me to believe that there has been significant structural decay to Book Tower and that it's future is uncertain... which angered me because it's a one-of-a-kind tower and one of my personal favourites.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2007, 1:04 AM

Evergrey,

Michi and I aren't mad at you. I'm annoyed that people still seem to think the temporary shutting off the power to get the owners attention was anything more than that, and continue to perpetuate that. I read the UrbanPlanet thread, too, and there was a huge thread on it at DetroitYes.com.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2007, 1:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMich View Post
Evergrey,

Michi and I aren't mad at you.
Not at all. My comments were mostly in response to the overall attitude that the building is so far into deterioration that it is not salvagable. I don't hold you to knowing what the current state of the building is, EG.

I read the responses on UP too. Knowing these guys personally, I was pretty certain that their initial responses were just out of frustration and initial shock response. It's not everyday that the newspaper just up and writes that a downtown skyscraper cuts off all its life...and for people like us, it strikes a nerve.

Now, that we know the power cut was just temporary, there's at least newfound public concern for the wellbeing of the Book Tower. It's almost good in a way in that people other than just those on the inside are aware of management's ball dropping.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2007, 1:55 AM

I hope something can be done.

Great pics anyhow!

Old Posted Apr 26, 2007, 2:50 AM

I love the Book Tower, its one of my favorite skyscrapers. I hope it gets renovated as soon as possible.

Does anyone know whats going on with the David Whitney building? I saw some pictures of the lobby from about 6 months ago and looked absolutely stunning but I read somewhere that the door was left open for the last few months and anyone could wander in, apparently now there is a guard but is there any chance this building will see a renovation before it gets destroyed by vandals and neglect?

Old Posted Apr 26, 2007, 3:07 AM

^ Yah, you're absolutely right. It has a security guard 24-7 parked in a car on the sidewalk. Kinda crazy, but I guess they're serious about keeping peeps out.

The deal with the building (and you can get a better response from those who are more familiar...esp the architects on the forum) is that it is so oddly layed out that the floorplans make it very difficult to modernize.

Basically, the building is an "O-shape" in that the whole center is an atrium, so that makes the inner ring hallway narrow (hallway windows facing in toward the atrium) and all the usable floorspace facing the outside also fairly small and rectangular. Rectangular since there's not much room to work with due to there always being a hallway surrounding the atrium...make sense? lol

Bottom line is: the layout makes it difficult to design for modern reuse.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2007, 5:26 AM

If viewed from the top, the atrium cut-out/light court is actually trapazodial in shape. That, by itself, is not what's killing its renovation chances, though. Quite a few former office buildings, downtown, aren't fit for modern office usage due to outdated mechanics, or like this on, it's just oddly shaped. But, this is why these type of buildings are being redeveloped as successful apartment and condo properties. What makes many of them bad for modern office usage, actually makes many of them great for modern residential usage.

What's taking this one so long is that it would have to be turned into a residential building or hotel, and I'm wondering if the owner can see that the current downtown housing market just couldn't absorb another hotel/condo project of that size, at the moment? I mean, it would be one large residential building.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2007, 5:41 AM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

Nice!

Old Posted Apr 26, 2007, 3:27 PM

As I look at these pics I could see about 1950 the hustle and bustle of this once grand downtown. The thousands of shoppers at Hudson's and along Woodward Ave. must have been pretty exciting. The buildings and architecture are simply marvelous. Downtown Detroit has so much potential.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2007, 4:21 PM
RePpiN GR sTreeTz !

I love shots like these where you can almost see the full height of ren-cen's largest tower. Its a rare shot so nice work over in our big-brother city of D-town.

-FerrariEnzo is the coolest forumer ever.

[>>]-Grand Rapids Boom Rundown-[<<]

Old Posted Apr 26, 2007, 6:04 PM
America's Hometown

Detroit has some of the best old towers around....it's nice to have a skyline of old and new towers.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2007, 6:45 PM
Corporate logo

Good job showcasing Detroit's towers, EG. The Book Tower just needs some restoration (ok, a lot) but it will be fine.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2007, 7:34 PM

Deeee-TROI-it City rocks

Old Posted Apr 26, 2007, 9:03 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

I completely viewed this thread while listening to Claude VonStroke's track "Who's afraid of Detroit?" without realizing the connection till half way through... AWESOME!!

If you don't know what I'm talking about, get familiar:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=9nQUvjKhogI

Also, here is another great track for Detroit:

Fedde Le Grand, Put your hands up for Detroit!!!
http://youtube.com/watch?v=FXR30IdiUGI

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos