HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Abraj Al Bait in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Mecca Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted May 4, 2010, 2:09 AM
Earthling

Mecca Highrise Development Compared to Abraj Al-Bait

These were posted Aug. 31st 2008--so while a bit dated, they're the most spectacular collection I've seen thus far. The city is growing very rapidly. It's also very hilly--just no trees/shrubbery--so creating high-rises wil probably continue in clusters, wherever possible. Those tightly packed, shady alleys are probably a great relief in a city that can reach 100F+ throughout the year.

From Here:

"There is no endeavour more noble than the attempt to achieve a collective dream. When a city accepts as its mandate its quality of life; when it respects the people who live in it; when it respects the environment; when it prepares for future generations, the people share responsibility for that mandate, and this shared cause is the only way to achieve that collective dream." - Jaime Lerner

Old Posted May 4, 2010, 5:29 AM
Earthling

Just a couple more tidbits...

Evidently the company doing the composite work of the clock face, including up to the crescent moon on top, is also doing some roofing shapes @ Foster's project(the HSR connecting Mecca, Medina, Jeddah):
PREMIER COMPOSITE TECHNOLOGIES BUILD HARAMAIN STATION MOCK UP FOR FOSTER+PARTNERS

Also, the "guts" of the clock, have been worked on for 2 years already--there are a few fascinating pics at the link below:
Mar '08: Fabrication has started for the Makkah Clock Tower Project
Quote:
The structural steel works fabrication has been started at Cimtas Gemlik Works for the Makkah Clock Tower which is part of the DOKAAE project in KSA. Çimtaş’s scope includes detailing, modeling, supply, fabrication, and erection of 10,000 tons of structural steel with built-up columns and hot-rolled beams. The project comprises of a 245 m-tall steel structure clock tower will be built on top of a 346 m-tall concrete structure. The tower will support the world’s largest 4 clocks with a diameter of 43 meters each. When completed this tower will be 591 meters tall and will become one of the tallest buildings in the world.
This thing may actually be topped out by the end of the year--considering the final 200M are a separate project well under way.
"There is no endeavour more noble than the attempt to achieve a collective dream. When a city accepts as its mandate its quality of life; when it respects the people who live in it; when it respects the environment; when it prepares for future generations, the people share responsibility for that mandate, and this shared cause is the only way to achieve that collective dream." - Jaime Lerner

Old Posted May 4, 2010, 2:27 PM
Editor

Nice shots. This tower will contain of the heighest observation decks in the world. I guess it will be the second tallest at 558m, surpassed only by the one of Shanghai Tower.

Old Posted May 4, 2010, 3:40 PM
if I sang out of tune

Old Posted May 13, 2010, 1:19 AM
Earthling

Clock installation has begun!

Old Posted May 13, 2010, 2:24 AM
Ex Houstonian

I am sure that the scale of this thing cant be fully appreciated unless you were standing there. Its massive.

Old Posted May 13, 2010, 4:30 AM
Ridin' into the sunset

I think the people in the second picture give a pretty good idea of scale, which impressive to say the least.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted May 16, 2010, 2:02 PM
Earthling

4/18/2010 . . . sense of scale

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3646/...1e62c6b4_b.jpg

On edit:
I don't know about anybody else, but I sure am frustrated with the challenge of finding any current construction pics. Big Mo is supposed to be up and running/keeping time (on all 4 sides)--by August. Seeing that portion of the building under construction--which already has been in progress for several weeks--is possibly the most exciting part(other than the topping out with the crescent moon).

Last edited by leftopolis; May 16, 2010 at 3:33 PM.

Old Posted May 25, 2010, 8:02 AM
Senior Committee

Looking at the image above I can't help but think that they've replaced/overshadowed a religious temple with a new giant temple of wealth and tourism.

Old Posted May 25, 2010, 10:31 AM
Brooklyn, New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hinds View Post
Looking at the image above I can't help but think that they've replaced/overshadowed a religious temple with a new giant temple of wealth and tourism.
agreed. hard to wrap my mind around it

Old Posted May 26, 2010, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hinds View Post
Eh, one in the same.

Old Posted May 30, 2010, 6:15 PM
~

looks like Vegas.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2010, 4:17 PM
The Vomit Bag.

the surrounding cityscape looks as dry as a box of melba toast
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Jun 21, 2010, 8:15 PM

I ran across an old arabic advertisement for this building somewhere. The structure is impressive in my opinion, but the location is a head turner. It isn't any of my business, but I am inclined to imagine that there are lots of Muslim people who probably have mixed feelings about a Vagas-style facility towering over Mecca. I've never been super fond of muslims, but... I hate to see any culture invaded in such an apparently irreverent way. Couldn't they build it at least far enough away from the prayer site that its shadow doesn't engulf the shrine? *shrug* It seems like the equivalent of a Chase Manhattan Tower being randomly built in the middle of that big plaza at the Vatican.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2010, 12:32 AM
Chairman

Great Project; Wrong Location

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHoward88 View Post
I ran across an old arabic advertisement for this building somewhere. The structure is impressive in my opinion, but the location is a head turner. It isn't any of my business, but I am inclined to imagine that there are lots of Muslim people who probably have mixed feelings about a Vagas-style facility towering over Mecca. I've never been super fond of muslims, but... I hate to see any culture invaded in such an apparently irreverent way. Couldn't they build it at least far enough away from the prayer site that its shadow doesn't engulf the shrine? *shrug* It seems like the equivalent of a Chase Manhattan Tower being randomly built in the middle of that big plaza at the Vatican.
I can tell you that I a really upset Muslim seeing this built near our most sacred site. Just imagine something as such being built next to the Temple Mount in Jerusalem or any sacred shrine of any religion. To me this is beyond irrelevant; this is desecration

-sb

Old Posted Jun 23, 2010, 4:07 AM

^ Shakman, Your feelings are entirely understandable. In my previous post above, I declared that "I've never been super fond of muslims...". As you are a Muslim, I would like to apologize to you and any other Muslim readers for my phrasing as it comes across as condescending. In hindsight, I should have left that phrase out.

More appropriately worded, Islamic culture is rather alien to me, and in light of the events of the last decade, I admittedly struggle with anti-Muslim stigma. I don't want to drag this thread off topic, but I do want to make it clear to you and others that I respect individuals, their traditions, and their faiths.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2010, 4:20 AM

I actually like the structure's placement, to an extent. It visually draws the eye to the site of the Muslim holy of holies from tens of miles away, and it is topped with a religious symbol as opposed to a commercial one.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2010, 4:24 AM
Mile High City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lecom View Post
I actually like the structure's placement, to an extent. It visually draws the eye to the site of the Muslim holy of holies from tens of miles away, and it is topped with a religious symbol as opposed to a commercial one.
I wholeheartedly agree.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2010, 5:16 AM

this thing just gets uglier and uglier...i rlly cant think of a worse supertall

Old Posted Jun 23, 2010, 1:13 PM

I actually like it, both as a symbol and as a structure. It looks like something you'd find on Arrakis.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive