HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Nov 22, 2013, 8:24 PM

Wow! Just, wow!! This better be approved and built exactly as proposed!

Old Posted Nov 22, 2013, 8:49 PM

Ottawa needs more high-quality development like this. What a great proposal and a good addition to Ottawa's overall well-being!

I find it odd that even after going out of their way to include the community association and find an agreeable middle-ground, the association still complains that the height is beyond the current CDP while expecting Mizrahi to live up to all its other promises. I understand the association not outright endorsing the project but it's insulting to un-endorse while at the same time demanding more. Mizrahi made it clear: the community association cannot have the cake and eat it too, but they can eat a cake that's nicely glazed! Thankfully the likelihood of this project moving forward in some fashion is high, so no matter what Ottawa will have a gorgeous new addition!

Old Posted Dec 3, 2013, 1:18 PM
National Capital Region

Old Posted Dec 3, 2013, 1:42 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

It's always felt a little funny to me having one street trying to be a little slive of Paris surrounded by single family homes. I like the buildings, they're just kind of fish out of water over there.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2013, 12:22 AM

I'm glad Councillor Hobbs supports this one.

Quote:
Wellington West condo proposal violates land-use plan, has councillor’s support

Extensive consultations make the difference, Hobbs says: ‘I wish everyone did it like this’

By David Reevely, OTTAWA CITIZEN December 3, 2013 4:00 PM

OTTAWA — A landmark 12-storey building newly proposed for the corner of Wellington Street and Island Park Drive can’t be built without changing the city’s master land-use plan, but it’s a special case that deserves that treatment, the area’s councillor says.

“I don’t want to see 12-storey buildings all the way down Wellington,” said Coun. Katherine Hobbs. “That’s not the goal.”

But the tower, officially a highrise by the city definition that begins at 10 storeys, is exceptionally beautiful and planned with sensitivity to the neighbours, she said. “I think design has to start ruling here.”

The plan for the 114-unit building includes stores on the ground floor and a multi-storey underground garage, plus a plaza with a little parkland and a playground on the west side.

Hobbs cited Mizrahi Developments’ talks with nearby landowners and investment in numerous versions of plans (before settling on one by Toronto architecture firm Page + Steele) as examples for developers who have big projects they want approved.

“(Company president Sam) Mizrahi came in and did not put in an application till he had extensively consulted with the community,” she said. “They have had all their concerns dealt with ... I wish everyone did it like this.”

Mizrahi is best known for luxury condos in Toronto and Hobbs said the project at 1445 Wellington St. W. matches them, with services including a concierge and valet parking.

But it does mean changing a plan for the neighbourhood that city council only approved in 2011, the sort of plan that’s supposed to be the end-all for rezonings and unexpected changes in the district it covers. The Wellington West Community Design Plan says Wellington Street should have four- to six-storey buildings, typical for a historical main street. Nine storeys can be OK in exceptional circumstances, for special projects in unique locations. The Mizrahi plan puts a smaller, narrower six-storey building on top of a six-storey podium.

“It is against the plan, and I want to stick to the plan,” Hobbs said. But this project is special, Hobbs said, like the 11-storey condo building with the Great Canadian Theatre Company’s venue at its base several blocks east on Wellington at Holland Avenue. Furthermore, the point of the plan is to protect the very neighbours who are OK with this proposal, Hobbs said.

Mizrahi has a specific reason for asking for special treatment, according to its application documents: It needs the money to clean the land up. The property has an old car wash on it now but has had other light industrial uses in the past.

“The Subject Property is significantly contaminated resulting from past uses on the property,” the application says. “As a result, the existing building has been left vacant for many years, with several other proposals for the site never moving forward due to the very high costs to clean up the site. The proposed development balances the need for a certain density with a sensitively designed building that has support in the community, including the immediate neighbours.”

The application claims the local community association is so pleased with things it has promised not to oppose the plans. The Citizen couldn’t immediately reach anyone at the Wellington Village Community Association, but a bulletin to the association’s members sent in November suggests that’s taking it a little far. The association declined to sign a letter saying it’s OK with the plan, the bulletin said.

“Instead, a letter was prepared stating the WVCA maintains its expectation that development proposals respect the Community Design Plan (CDP) and expressing disappointment that the proposal exceeds the nine and six stories called for at that site by the CDP,” the bulletin said, but added that the association’s board appreciates how hard Mizrahi had worked to gather and respond to residents’ opinions.

dreevely@ottawacitizen.com

ottawacitizen.com/greaterottawa
© Copyright (c) The Ottawa Citizen
http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/ot...959/story.html

Old Posted Dec 4, 2013, 2:31 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Public meeting on new 12-storey plans for 1445 Wellington West

December 3, 2013. 8:29 pm • Section: City Hall

Posted by: David Reevely

The city posted the planning application for a 12-storey condo building at Wellington and Island Park Tuesday morning and later in the day the would-be developer, Mizrahi Developments, sent out invitations to a public meeting on the proposal:

Quote:
Good Afternoon Everyone –
Mizrahi Developments invites you to a public meeting to discuss their proposed development at 1451 and 1445 Wellington Street West on Thursday December 12, 2013 at 7.00pm. The meeting will be taking place in the studio of the Great Canadian Theatre Company (located at 1233 Wellington Street West).

Please see the attached poster for more information. We hope to see you there.

Thank you,

Paul Black MCIP RPP
Planner
The poster is just a tarted-up version of the same information, plus information about where to go to see the planning application for yourself. Which, here you go.

Without commenting on the wisdom of the proposal or the quality of the building, one thing you can say for Mizrahi’s work here is it’s expensive. The planning rationale, the main narrative document laying out what they want to do and why they think they should be allowed to do it, spells out an exceptionally long series of consultations with the immediate neighbours and the community associations and Katherine Hobbs. They say they had two separate teams of architects do up full alternative plans for the building, plus three versions of the parkette they’ll include next door. The rationale itself is a FoTenn production, which you’d expect, but it’s got Ted Fobert’s personal name on it; he’s, well, the biggest gun.

Mizrahi builds expensive high-end buildings and it makes sense that that process would include expensive high-end planning processes. The company is also making a pretty significant request: amending a community-design plan that was finished in the modern era, just in 2011. Its approach has to be pretty much perfect to pull that off. You don’t get that cheaply.

http://blogs.ottawacitizen.com/2013/...llington-west/

Old Posted Dec 4, 2013, 9:43 PM
National Capital Region

Quote:
Condo proposal for Wellington West has city’s planning chair livid
http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/ot...255/story.html
BY DAVID REEVELY, OTTAWA CITIZEN DECEMBER 4, 2013 4:11 PM

OTTAWA — If a Toronto builder wants to erect a 12-storey condominium at the corner of Wellington Street and Island Park Drive, he’ll have to get through the powerful chairman of Ottawa city council’s planning committee first.

Mizrahi Developments has filed a proposal for a luxury condo after months of consulting nearby residents to find out what they’d like. The local councillor, Katherine Hobbs, is practically on board. But the building would violate the rules laid out in a comprehensive neighbourhood plan the city approved in 2011 that call for a building no taller than nine storeys on the property and only because it’s a prominent “gateway” to the neighbourhood. Ordinarily the limit on that stretch of Wellington Street would be six storeys.

“What part of this do developers not understand?” a furious Coun. Peter Hume demanded Wednesday, steaming out of his office to intercept a reporter. “It undermines everything we’ve been talking about. About certainty, about predictability, about the speed of development, so that all you need is a permit and a site plan — you’ve heard me say that many times. [We could say] ‘It looks nice, looks good, oh, well, 12 is OK.’ No. It’s not.”

After 10 years at the head of council’s planning committee, Hume has hung his hat on ending neighbourhood fights over “spot” rezonings. Developers are allowed to request them but Hume has been striving mightily to put them out of bounds, using neighbourhood plans such as the one finalized two years ago for Wellington West.

“There’s a bigger principle at stake here that we have to hold to. And we’ll be constantly challenged on it … We’re going to be in the same hamster wheel that we’ve been trying to get out of and that no one likes.” Hume said. Give Mizrahi approval for 12 storeys and it’ll be impossible to say no when someone else comes along seeking the same thing next door, or on one of the intersection’s other corners.

It doesn’t matter that the proposed building is really nice, Hume said, or that the builder says contamination on the old light industrial site makes a nine-storey building uneconomical. The city has a subsidy program for “brownfield” development, as it’s called.

“What about great urban design? You can do great urban design in nine and six [storeys]. Those are great mid-rise building heights, done all over the world,” Hume said. “What about contamination? We have a program for that. Lots of developers have been able to take contaminated land and make it productive. Very, very contaminated land. That’s what the program’s for. And if the program isn’t working, come and tell us that we need to make it better because it won’t deal with these kinds of things. Coming and saying, ‘I need to go to 900 feet’ … zoning for cleaning is not what we’re all about.”

Mizrahi has invited anyone who’s interested to attend a consultation at the Great Canadian Theatre Company building at 1233 Wellington St. W. on Dec. 12 at 7 p.m.
dreevely@ottawacitizen.com
ottawacitizen.com/greaterottawa

Old Posted Dec 4, 2013, 10:22 PM
R2-D2's army of death

As much as I like this proposal, Hume DOES have a point. In fact, he has several really good ones.

Granted, I'm still of the mind that if it's a "gateway", then it better be imposing and show that it's a gateway. A singular exception at the "edge" of the neighbourhood is fine by me, especially if we get that level of design.
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2013, 1:20 AM
National Capital Region

I think it's important to note that the developer is asking for an Official Plan Amendment, not just a "spot zoning". I don't think that "violates" is the right word choice since the developer is specifically asking for an amendment to the plan (and not trying to justify that it already complies) and because the word implies a negative connotation for something that is a normal part of the planning process. For example the Ashcroft and Domicile towers on Champagne both needed amendments to the Official Plan. Ottawa's Official Plan has been amended 129 times since it was first passed, and under the new OP height limit policies we may see an increase in OPAs for increased height. Amendments to the Official Plan are under a higher standard than regular zoning by-laws, but Council may see the merits of this particular project (like the park, Section 37 agreement, gateway location etc) and decide to approve.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2013, 2:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
Hume's losing it! It's 3 extra floors!! That's it. And guess what; design does matter. If we give them that extra 3 floors, it doesn't set a precedent for a slight increase in zoning, it sets a precedent for great design "you want that extra 3 floors, fine, but it has to be freakin' spectacular!"

Hume would probably approve of any bland block, just as long as it respects the zoning.

Why not, let's just build this instead;

Or maybe more of this;

These aren't bad designs, but I would much rather have a magnificent 12 storey than another bland and/or repetitive design at 8-9 floors.

Even if Mizrahi Developments builds something on that corner, whether it's this building or something shorter, they'll probably never want to do work in Ottawa again. We'll be stuck with the same old mediocre Ottawa based developers.

Here's to hoping people like Mizrahi and Lamb (although he's been pretty lucky with the City) don't get discouraged.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2013, 1:55 PM

mispost

Old Posted Dec 6, 2013, 8:40 PM

Former HCA president and potential Kitchissippi Candidate for Council's thoughts:

http://jeffleiper.ca/content/1445-we...heres-unicorns

Old Posted Dec 7, 2013, 2:01 AM

Hume's a blowhard who sees numbers, not design. Yes, I'd understand his ULTRA-RAGE if it was a 48 storey Claridge building proposed on that site, but it is 3 storeys off from what's currently allowed, and looks better than anything else built recently in the neighbourhood.

Not every rule should have an exception, but come on.

Wasn't Hume recently proposing a 10-storey height limit for the whole of Ottawa? Lot-line-to-lot-line cube buildings to ensure people's imaginations aren't stimulated.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2013, 4:28 PM
R2-D2's army of death

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-Man View Post
Hume's a blowhard who sees numbers, not design. Yes, I'd understand his ULTRA-RAGE if it was a 48 storey Claridge building proposed on that site, but it is 3 storeys off from what's currently allowed, and looks better than anything else built recently in the neighbourhood.

Not every rule should have an exception, but come on.

Wasn't Hume recently proposing a 10-storey height limit for the whole of Ottawa? Lot-line-to-lot-line cube buildings to ensure people's imaginations aren't stimulated.
That would be very odd if true, as I remember Peter Hume was talking about how Ottawa needs to get over its fear of heights, and to improve design in its buildings just a few years ago.
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2013, 12:51 AM

I recall that sentiment, too, but about a year ago he came up with a plan to limit building heights to 10 storeys in most areasof the city, seemingly to stop community groups from squawking over new developments, and to stop developers from proposing them.

It seemed out of character and an about-ace for him. I will have to try to find that article.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2013, 1:13 AM
National Capital Region

Joanne Chianello ‏@jchianello has been tweeting the community meeting tonight live. Sounds like a relatively positive reception, even applause (!).
https://twitter.com/jchianello

Old Posted Dec 13, 2013, 1:29 AM
National Capital Region

@jchianello 34m
Hmmm, people just clapped after the presentation. Have been to lots of these things - not that common.

@jchianello 19m
Actual resident from Garrison: "Sam" has bent over backwards to implement everything we asked for.

@jchianello 18m
She worries that what will happen if this beautiful development won't go through. Much applause.

@jchianello 6m
One woman clearly doesn't love the idea of people "living on top of one another." References crime. Hmmmmm.

@jchianello 6m
When asked, woman says she liked to see some small houses on corner. But she gets shouted down by others.

@jchianello 2m
? on incrementalism of traffic: "we're victims of our own success." Traffic heavy because people want to come to area. Applause.

@jchianello 2m
? From man who lives quite close by. Used to live next to crack house - neighbourhood really improved. By didn't hear about it until lately

@jchianello 60s
He says he was horrified - but now he's convinced. "I'm extremely impressed and I'm coming into it blind." (Is he a plant?)

‏@jchianello 49s
Another resident: Mizrahi first developer who asked us instead of told us. Met every concern.

@jchianello 19s
It's by no means unanimous, but this crowd seems more in favour than opposed. It's not the usual public meeting.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2013, 1:55 AM
National Capital Region

While the entrance looks nice, I wonder they could do a slight reconfiguring of the ground floor and maybe move the retail entrance further to the east on Wellington. Otherwise I think you have potential for a blank strip on Wellington between the corner and the residential entrance (with lifestyle posters covering the windows?).

There is actually a discrepancy in the planning docs where the site plan says the Wellington entrance (not the corner one) is a residential entrance but the south elevation say it's a restaurant/retail entrance. I'm assuming the site plan is correct.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2013, 1:00 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Tale of two condos

Firmer planning language could mean rezonings that are valid exceptions

By Joanne Chianello, OTTAWA CITIZEN December 17, 2013

When Sam Mizrahi ended a public meeting last Tuesday to address his proposed 12-storey condo project for the northeast corner of Island Park Drive and Wellington Street West, an odd thing happened: the audience broke into applause. And not for the first time that evening.

It’s hardly unusual for a developer to want to erect a taller-than-allowed condo building.

But there’s nothing routine about the way Mizrahi has gone about trying to win approval for three extra storeys. There’s the extensive pre-consultation with the immediate neighbours, as well as community and business associations. Then there’s the more astonishing fact that Mizrahi actually acted on their concerns, such as making sure all the garbage receptacles were inside the building and that the sidewalk be wider.

It’s a beautifully designed building — even those against the rezoning readily admit it’s attractive — and Mizrahi has pledged not only to expand an existing parkette adjacent to the building, but to pay for its ongoing maintenance. To prove these aren’t just empty promises, the developer has taken the unusual step of writing these commitments into the site plan application filed with the city.

There isn’t unanimous support for the Mizrahi, but the majority of folks at last week’s meeting were enthusiastic.

Two telling details: while the community association in the area didn’t actually support the application, it agreed not to oppose the project (which some developers would consider a win); and the five homeowners right behind the building — the ones who would be most directly affected by the new building — are the most ardent supporters of the redevelopment.

So with all this goodwill abounding, and the fact the city approves extra height fairly regularly, you might think the rezoning would be a slam-dunk, right?

Not so fast, says Coun. Peter Hume, chair of the planning committee.

“It undermines everything we’ve been talking about,” Hume fumed to the Citizen’s David Reevely, “about certainty, about predictability, about the speed of development, so that all you need is a permit and a site plan — you’ve heard me say that many times.”

And yet, just last week Hume voted in favour of doubling the height for a less impressive project a half-a-dozen blocks west of the Mizrahi proposal.

The developers for 236 Richmond Rd., Main and Main, didn’t do much in the way of community consultation, nor are they giving the community any special sort of benefit for the extra height the way Mizrahi is doing with the parkette. Hume himself opined that he was “not particularly impressed with the design of the building.”

It’s true that the designs for 236 Richmond plans were reworked a number of times. The city’s planners insisted the building include more windows, a 2.5-metre step back on the top two floors and a wider variety of materials (including brick), according to Michael Mizzi, the city’s chief of development reviews.

And even if you think nine storeys is too tall for that part of Westboro, a building with shops that open onto the sidewalk is certainly preferable to what’s on the site now — an unused piece of asphalt.

But the plans for 236 Richmond aren’t particularly special, and the community isn’t in favour of the extra height. So why would Hume be in favour of this project that many residents are fuming about, but against one that many seem to want?

Planning policy and politics. (Caution: wonkiness ahead.)

Hume has been promising certainty in planning for years. The theory is that we can avoid many contentious community battles if we pre-determine heights through community design plans (known as CDPs). Sure, not everyone will be happy with what gets built, but no one will surprised.

The Mizrahi project site was pre-zoned for nine storeys in the Wellington West CDP, a document often held up the model for community plans. It’s got very firm language about what’s allowed where.

But because the site is heavily contaminated, many developers have walked away from the property, declaring it not commercially viable at just nine storeys. Mizrahi says that the city’s “brownfield program”, which offers a 50-per-cent rebate on the cost of the cleaning up the contamination, isn’t enough to make up for the large seven-figure price tag of the effort. (Why this entire contamination issue wasn’t sorted out during the CDP is another complex question.)

You can see why Hume isn’t thrilled by Mizrahi’s application: The first time there’s a significant challenge to what’s supposed to be an airtight CDP, he’s being asked to make an exception — and go back on his political word.

So why did Hume approve 236 Richmond? After all, that stretch of Richmond is identified in Westboro’s CDP as a “traditional mainstreet,” which generally means heights of four to six storeys. The problem is the subjective language in that particular — and older — CDP that more easily allows upzonings. For example, according to the planning policy covering Westboro, being located on any old corner is reason enough to allow a building additional height.

Even though the policy governing the height is somewhat convoluted, the reason that 236 Richmond is being rezoned is simple: the rules allow it. And that might be a problem. Community associations want to reopen Westboro’s CDP to make the language firmer in hopes of preventing unanticipated rezonings.

But is super-firm wording too rigid? Look what’s happening just a few blocks to the east, where a seemingly conscientious developer has worked hard to win the support of the community. Is that type of situation to be discounted?

Perhaps planning shouldn’t be an all-or-nothing proposition, either complete subjectivity or rigid inflexibility. Hume is right: certainty in CDPs is desirable because it means everyone know what kinds of development to expect. At the same time, by eliminating the loopholes that have allowed a stream of (sometimes dubious) zoning exemptions, it should actually be easier for decision-makers to judge when a project constitutes a truly deserving exception.

Complicated? Of course. Planning usually is.

Still, revisiting and revising the way we make these decisions is worth it if it means building a better city. And besides, there’s something inherently misguided about allowing a rezoning the community doesn’t want while at the same time denying a project that people actually like.

jchianello@ottawacitizen.com">jchian...awacitizen.com

twitter.com/jchianello

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/busines...800/story.html

Old Posted Dec 18, 2013, 3:48 AM

The problem is that all the OMB cares about is precedent. If this developer gets an exemption because the site is contaminated or the design is nice then there will be a lineup of developers claiming their designs are nice and sites are contaminated, and everything turns into a gong show again.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa