HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Sep 20, 2021, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.RE View Post
Behind paywall. Anyone able to post the renderings? I heard they were released.
Posted on the Phoenix Area Stadium thread.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2021, 10:23 PM

I just want to say that if this does go through I will be very impressed with the level of economic development in Tempe. I am impressed now driving on the 202 East. The Watermark building is a sight even though it’s not very tall. The State Farm buildings are incredible. The Pier will look great right if the lake and so much more to come. This new stadium and entertainment district would be the icing on the cake, no pun intended lol for cities the same size as Tempe, they rarely get something like a stadium/entertainment district built in their city. The architecture for some of these building are just incredible.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2021, 11:01 PM

From https://arizonasports.com/story/2823...al-renderings/ .
"The Arizona Coyotes on Monday released renderings of their proposed arena entertainment district in Tempe."

Old Posted Sep 21, 2021, 1:47 AM

I think some of the wood elements look a little strange, even though I do like that it forms a deck/walkway on the upper level. That could just be due to the nature of 3D renderings though. I have to say the shot of the arena from across the lake looks fantastic and would put the team in the forefront of people's minds like it desperately needs right now.

It's a bummer that it likely wouldn't get finished until 2025, barring any new agreement with the city regarding the location's current use, but with how thoroughly Tempe has it's act together, I could see them getting this ball rolling in no time.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2021, 4:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stutteringpunk View Post
I have to say the shot of the arena from across the lake looks fantastic and would put the team in the forefront of people's minds like it desperately needs right now.
That is a far futuristic view in that the current lake does not extend to that point yet.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2021, 5:16 AM

Old Posted Sep 21, 2021, 2:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBar View Post
That is a far futuristic view in that the current lake does not extend to that point yet.
Maybe we can get Meghan McCain out there now with a garden hose to start working on daddy's vision?

Old Posted Sep 21, 2021, 3:41 PM

Too bad this amazing facility is for....hockey. Lol, just kidding lads don't get yer feathers ruffled. I know hockey is a thing...

Old Posted Sep 21, 2021, 4:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somethingfast View Post
Too bad this amazing facility is for....hockey. Lol, just kidding lads don't get yer feathers ruffled. I know hockey is a thing...
Well... hockey is doing pretty well in AZ, so why not? USA Hockey recently announced participation numbers throughout the country for the 2018-19 season and once again, the data confirmed that hockey continues to thrive in Arizona.
  • Arizona ranked first among all U.S. NHL markets in girls eight and under growth percentage, and girls (19 and under) youth growth percentage.
  • Arizona ranked third among all U.S. NHL markets in total growth percentage over one year.
  • Arizona ranked third nationally (NHL and non-NHL markets) in total participation growth over the past five years.
  • Located next to ASU, where their NCAA hockey program has been successful and growing, with it's own arena under construciton now.
  • SunBelt market, where it's pleasant to enjoy an outdoor space during most of hockey season.
  • The Phoenix market recently produced an NHL #1 draft pick

https://www.nhl.com/coyotes/news/hoc...na/c-309019478

Old Posted Sep 21, 2021, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
Well... hockey is doing pretty well in AZ, so why not? USA Hockey recently announced participation numbers throughout the country for the 2018-19 season and once again, the data confirmed that hockey continues to thrive in Arizona.
  • Arizona ranked first among all U.S. NHL markets in girls eight and under growth percentage, and girls (19 and under) youth growth percentage.
  • Arizona ranked third among all U.S. NHL markets in total growth percentage over one year.
  • Arizona ranked third nationally (NHL and non-NHL markets) in total participation growth over the past five years.
  • Located next to ASU, where their NCAA hockey program has been successful and growing, with it's own arena under construciton now.
  • SunBelt market, where it's pleasant to enjoy an outdoor space during most of hockey season.
  • The Phoenix market recently produced an NHL #1 draft pick

https://www.nhl.com/coyotes/news/hoc...na/c-309019478
Will ASU be competing with this arena for some of the same extra curricular concerts events? If I am seeing this correctly are they proposing a theater in addition to the arena? More competition for TCA next door for the same events on top of the other venues in the Valley?

Old Posted Sep 21, 2021, 5:43 PM

Old Posted Sep 21, 2021, 6:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsunsurfer View Post
Fingers crossed they get it done.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2021, 6:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsunsurfer View Post
Will ASU be competing with this arena for some of the same extra curricular concerts events? If I am seeing this correctly are they proposing a theater in addition to the arena? More competition for TCA next door for the same events on top of the other venues in the Valley?
TCA holds 500 whereas the "theater" proposed for this is 1500, so it's possible they may compete but at 3x the size I'm not sure the show overlap is that great. I can't imagine more venues being a downfall for Tempe but I do see many of the shows and events that currently go to Gila River instead shifting to this venue... I'm not sure how Gila survives if this comes together. Shows will have the option of Foot Print Center, this building and Gila River for similar size indoor venues. I think downtown Phoenix and Tempe will win the lions share of events.

They used to play some games at Gila River but with their new 5,000 seat arena maybe that will not be of need any more. I'm not sure if college hockey draws into the 10's of thousands or not for marquee matchups? https://www.nhl.com/coyotes/tickets/asu-hockey

Old Posted Sep 21, 2021, 7:23 PM
Skyriser

Gila River Arena kicked the Coyotes out because they as a tenant basically monopolize the whole building when they're in season. They think they can sell more tickets without them.

My understanding is that shows go/went to Gila because it's a lot less expensive than Footprint, and the upcoming shows at both seem to verify that. It's $750+ a seat to get a shortage of floor tickets for the Eagles at Footprint, nobody pays that kind of money for WWE or a has-been act at Gila River.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2021, 9:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
Gila River Arena kicked the Coyotes out because they as a tenant basically monopolize the whole building when they're in season. They think they can sell more tickets without them.

My understanding is that shows go/went to Gila because it's a lot less expensive than Footprint, and the upcoming shows at both seem to verify that. It's $750+ a seat to get a shortage of floor tickets for the Eagles at Footprint, nobody pays that kind of money for WWE or a has-been act at Gila River.
They understand that the Yotes were leaving in a few years anyways. So they decided to rip off the bandaid and figure out how to make the venue work without them sooner rather than later.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2021, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post

I don't have any insight into local venue pricing but Foot Print has many events that are much cheaper than the Eagles shows. But I could see it being more expensive considering the central location and now a upgraded guest appearance versus Gila. I'd personally be okay with some of the events I've attended at Gila shifting to Tempe, I live in Tempe and can bike or take the train to this location.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2021, 11:12 PM

So I feel this begs the question as to why Tempe decided to only expand the lake 100 yards west instead of all the way to Priest Drive?

I can’t imagine they will spend another $50M to destroy & rebuild a dam.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2021, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfiredude View Post
So I feel this begs the question as to why Tempe decided to only expand the lake 100 yards west instead of all the way to Priest Drive?

They should expand it to 59th ave

Old Posted Sep 22, 2021, 12:02 AM
Skyriser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfiredude View Post

I asked them about this some years ago and they said that would have been a complete re-scoping and redesign of the project, including Army Corps of Engineers and other environmental approvals.

I'd rather have a river flowing there, and they could start by channelizing everything upstream and draining it to the west. I imagine Sky Harbor doesn't want aquatic birds hanging out at the runway's edge either.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2021, 4:52 AM

New RFP for Hayden Flour Mill

Looks like there's a new RFP by city of Tempe for the Hayden Flour Mill...

https://azbex.com/hayden-flour-mill-...nt-rfp-issued/

How many times is this now?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest