HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 2, 2021, 12:22 PM

Tunnel Art:
Would you like to create a mural or other artwork for this space-age 1960s tunnel? It looks like something from a science fiction movie. The City of Winston-Salem is seeking proposals from artists to add artwork to this tunnel, connecting the Convention Center with the Embassy Suites Hotel. Yes, Winston-Salem's convention center was built in the 1960s, but renovations have expanded it and modernized both the interior and exterior.

Credit: City of Winston-Salem

Your City
[/QUOTE]
Man, that photo brings back memories of my high school proms in 1984 and 1985. We used this tunnel to go between the prom at the convention center and the hotel room at what was then the Hyatt Hotel that a group of us had rented for "adult beverages." In 1984, we were free to stroll back and forth between the two sites but by 1985, teachers had caught wind of this little trick and had a staffed table blocking that tunnel. While we rented a room, we couldn't actually get to it and get back into the convention center.

Last edited by AtlantaProf; Aug 2, 2021 at 2:13 PM.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2021, 7:19 PM
Fourth and Main

I've been inside the convention center as a kid, but didn't use that tunnel. It was one of Mom's work-related convention trips and I wanted to go on the trip, instead of staying with friends. That was my first time in Winston-Salem, around 1994 or 1995? I was maybe 9 or 10 at the time and stayed in the taller (Winston Plaza) hotel, looking down on the city and the Wachovia Center construction site. It was the day my love for cities, construction, and (of course) Winston-Salem started. Stories like that can change how locals and the CVB view their convention center!

Forsyth County Courthouse:
Workers have started excavation shoring at the site. Shoring is the wooden walls you see in the photographs, below. These walls hold the dirt in place. I guess they have finished excavating for the parking under the building? We should see the elevator cores / stair wells rising soon!

Credit: CJMW

Old Posted Aug 11, 2021, 5:06 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:
I want to thank the photographers and local businesses, sharing updates on projects, who make this thread possible. Without you, these updates won't happen. I don't make any money on these update posts and I'm dependent on others for photographs. Thank you for sharing with us!

Looking for Summer music to post on this thread:
Video Link

Truliant Headquarters Expansion:

Credit: Little Diversified

The Easley Apartments:

Credit: TrueLook

Interstate 74:
This project will gain $80 million in GARVEE (Grant Anticipation Revenue Vehicle) bond funding.

Roar:
This is one of those buildings people stopped photographing. Even the developer doesn't share updates anymore. The photograph below is from last month. Roar is the adaptive-reuse of a former Ford Assembly Plant and Showroom to a food hall and entertainment venue.

Credit: thenewclassy

Spencer's Mill Hotel:
Sunhouse Hospitality is working on an agreement with the city to remove asbestos from the existing industrial structures. Construction to convert the buildings to a boutique Marriott Tribute hotel and convention center will begin in Spring 2022.

Robert Hall Hotel and Conference Center:
Again, the hotel will be called Huntley House at Robert Hall.

Installing ductwork:

Credit: roberthallws

Alternative Transportation:

Salem Parkway:
Salem Parkway in downtown Winston-Salem won a Grand Award from the American Council of Engineering Companies at their 2021 National Engineering Excellence Awards Competition. It is said to be the highest engineering award a project can win. They spoke of the brick walls, public involvement, two bicycle and pedestrian bridges, and incorporating bike and pedestrian infrastructure into the highway project. This project will also include artwork. Right now, other cities are looking at this project for ideas.

Oliver Cycling Park:
The artwork and designs from Walter Hood are currently unfunded. This project is still in the design phase. That design will be presented next month. Once his designs are completed, an effort will be made to decide how it should be funded. So, this project could take a while to complete. NBA basketball star Chris Paul is related to the person this park is named for.

Interestingly, there is work behind the scenes to create an African American Heritage Center on Liberty Street. We should know more details in a few months.

Creative Corridors:
The locations for these sculptures have moved and the number of sculptures has decreased from seven to four, with a possible fifth sculpture along the bike and walking path. Now, only one sculpture will be on a bridge structure. And that sculpture will be on the eastern end of the Church Street Bridge. The others have moved to the hillsides, to increase visibility. The High Street Exit should have a sculpture and impressive landscaping to replace the beautiful historic Queen Anne house NCDOT demolished.

Four confirmed sculpture locations (the broken line boxes are sites acquired by others for development):

Off-Subject:

Random Photographs:
We haven't had any random photographs in a long time. I thought I would post a couple for this update.

This is new:

Credit: workinthefaithe

This is an unusual angle that shows a few buildings not seen in other viewing angles:

Credit: christophermarshall_

Your City

Old Posted Aug 15, 2021, 11:39 AM
Fourth and Main

Kaleideum Science Museum:
Are you excited about construction starting? Groundbreaking is scheduled for August 19, at 1 p.m.,. I guess Liberty Park will also break ground at the same time?

Our first rendering view of the design modifications we've previously only seen in elevations:

Credit: Gensler

Link Apartments 4th Street:

We finally have a current photograph, but it shows more of the workers than the building:

Credit: sametcorp

Someone told me about this older photograph, from early-July 2021:

Credit: greaterwinstonsaleminc

Reynolda House Museum of Art Restoration:

Credit: Preservation Forsyth

Hanes-Lowrance Building:
It appears as if the Winston-Salem / Forsyth County School System has other plans for this site and will present a list of options next month.

The Easley Apartments:

This image is a week or two old:

Credit: heedesoutheast

This is from Wednesday (8/11):

Credit: trixiemayj

This apartment building is so massive, it appears as if you could fit all of the high-rises in the background on the site of this apartment building! The developer closed streets and merged two or three blocks to build this!

500 West 5th:
It appears as if the 3,800 square-foot restaurant will take part of the loading area from the service entrance? This building never had a restaurant. This will be the first. It will be called Downtown Grille. It's great to add something to bring more people to the sidewalks on weekends and after work hours. The investment in this space is expected to reach well over $1 million. Work on this space was expected to start last year, but was delayed due to COVID-19.

New Park Space:
Work is starting on the bike and walking trails, so we can now add this to our construction list.

Off-Subject:

Moving to Winston-Salem:
Greater Winston-Salem says their marketing has high engagement scores in San Francisco, Atlanta, Los Angeles, Washington D.C., and Houston in particular.

Random Photographs:

A new mural in downtown's IQ District:

Credit: piedmonttriadliving

Your City

Old Posted Aug 15, 2021, 11:14 PM

What is the address of the new Kaleideum Science Museum site?

Old Posted Aug 17, 2021, 2:57 AM
Fourth and Main

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCMetroRaleigh View Post
What is the address of the new Kaleideum Science Museum site?
120 West Third Street

Old Posted Aug 17, 2021, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
120 West Third Street
Thanks

Old Posted Aug 19, 2021, 4:52 AM
Fourth and Main

Artreaux Apartments:
And we have better and more current renderings, along with photographs of work starting at the site! Some of the renderings do have notes on them that can't be cropped-out. I was told these are the notes from Porter Jones sent to Axiom Architecture. Sadly, a retail space isn't being discussed. You can also see the proposed townhouses in these renderings. The townhouses will break ground at the same time as the apartment building. Workers are at the site, on Ninth Street, demolishing the existing produce buildings. Construction will begin when they finish site demolition. Winston-Salem's Produce District, which sent fruits and vegetables to stores, food factories, and restaurants—for decades—is being rebranded by developers as the trendy Industry Hill neighborhood. #gentrification I will continue to call it Produce District until the last downtown produce company moves-out. Again, construction will start when workers finish site demolition. The apartments are luxury apartments. One of the luxury amenities is co-working space, so you can have an office to work-from-home at these apartments. Luxury apartments remain in very high demand in downtown Winston-Salem.

Credit: Axiom Architecture

You can see the proposed townhouses behind the apartments in this photograph (far right side):

Demolition of the old produce company buildings for the new Artreaux Apartments:

Credit: DWSP

Old Posted Aug 23, 2021, 4:45 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:
I want to thank the photographers and local businesses, sharing updates on projects, who make this thread possible. Without you, these updates won't happen.

Video Link

1001:
Winston-Salem-based Rehab Builders will be the General Contractor for this project. While parts of the project have slowly moved forward, this appears to be the start of major work to complete the entire project. No new permits, at this time, but you should see significant work on this project in the very near future!

Credit: Keith Stone

Atrium Health donated $1 million to this science museum, to be used on exhibits for the second floor. The second floor will have a digital dome theatre and planetarium, the physics of motion exhibit, a space for traveling exhibitions, and learning spaces for educational groups (class field trips, camps, etc.) or special events. This $44 million downtown museum will open in Fall 2023.

Groundbreaking:

Credit: downtownwinstonsalem

Removing a 31 year old escalator:

Credit: DavieConstNC

Sentinel Commons:
Blanco Tackabery Law Firm headquarters will begin moving into their new downtown office space today (August 23). They are new to downtown and we are excited to have them in downtown Winston-Salem.

Credit: lambert_architecture

Eleventh Street Townhouses & Apartments:
This project is proposed in the residential neighborhood that borders downtown Winston-Salem's IQ District. Steele Group Architects is the architect for this development. It will replace a former public school building, constructed in 1919. Before you ask: There was an effort to restore and reuse the historic school building, using historic tax credits, but a fire destroyed the building before the adaptive-reuse project could move forward. This is a replacement development for the site.

Credit: Steele Group Architects

Off-Subject:

New Tech Jobs:
Inmar in downtown Winston-Salem is hiring for 52 tech jobs. If you would like to live in this awesome city, contact Imar about these opportunities. They are constantly growing and leased more space than originally planned at One West Fourth, due to their fast growth.

Your City

Old Posted Aug 24, 2021, 12:58 AM

What? 2 Forsyth County projects u/c in downtown?? The building blitz continues...

Old Posted Aug 26, 2021, 1:02 PM
Fourth and Main

WFBH Eye Institute:
We have a possible new rendering of this proposed building for downtown's IQ District and a start date! This project is expected to break ground in 2022. Yes, next year! This building is a research center, a medical/surgical facility (eye doctor's hospital), an educational facility for medical school students interested in optometry/surgery, and office space for collaborative research projects between the university and businesses, centered on eye health. If this is the new rendering, this project added another floor to its height. A very exciting building for downtown Winston-Salem's IQ District!

"Our goal is to establish a new world-class clinical and educational Eye Institute for our region."

Credit: Perkins+Will

Old Posted Aug 30, 2021, 5:17 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:
I want to thank the photographers and local businesses, sharing updates on projects, who make this thread possible. Without you, these updates won't happen.

How long does it take to fall in love with Winston-Salem?
Video Link

If you're here, I'm guessing you already love this city.

Wow, there are large number of updates from just a few days!

Again, the hotel is called Huntley House at Robert Hall.

Wallpapering the hotel rooms:

Roar:
An update on the conversion of a former Ford Automobile Assembly Plant and Showroom, from the 1920s, into a roaring 20's-themed entertainment venue and food hall, with rooftop bar.

You can see the new fourth floor and rooftop bar:

Credit: Victoria

Frank L. Blum Construction is the General Contractor for this new residential development.

TW Garner Campus:
We now have a rendering of the first phase of this project, located next to Smith Reynolds Airport. This 165,000 square-foot structure broke ground last week and is now under construction. Front Street Capital is the developer, West & Stem Architects is the architect, and Landmark Builders is the General Contractor. Completion of the first phase is set for May 2022.

Credit: West & Stem Architects

The Gallery Ballroom:
Completion of this project is delayed by COVID-19. They are having issues with delivery and installation of carpeting and lighting. Completion is now set for late-September. Currently, workers are installing new signage, new landscaping, and selecting art.

Not the best photographs, but you can see some of the progress:

The Easley Apartments:

Workers are installing the large windows on the lower two floors in the six-storey section:

Cement-fiberboard and brick on the shorter four-storey section:

Lam Museum of Anthropology: Built!
The Museum of Anthropology is now the Timothy S.Y. Lam Museum of Anthropology. It relocated to the Arnold Palmer Building. A Grand Reopening of the Museum was scheduled for August 24, 2021. Timothy S.Y. Lam and his family both made significant financial and museum collection donations, over the years. He donated his collection of more than 500 pieces of Tang Dynasty Pottery to the museum shortly before he passed away in 2012. The collection is the largest and most comprehensive artifacts in the United States from the Changsha kilns, an important archaeological site linked to the Medieval Silk Roads. Since the donation, two long term exhibitions have focused on this world class collection, and individual pieces have been featured in several additional exhibits.

The Legacy Apartments:

Wow, these apartments will have an amazing view:

Credit: winston_360

A larger view of the Wells Fargo Center, Cancer Center, and Brenner (Brenner Steel Company) Children's Hospital from the apartment construction site:

And you may have thought only stadiums sold naming rights. I think Winston-Salem-based Brenner Steel Company and their CEO made a significant donation in the 1980s and the Children's Hospital thanked them by naming it for them.

Bowman Gray Stadium Renovation:
All parts of the historic Art Deco stadium that fans will use should be completed by the second football game of the year. You may see a long pause in work, as workers wait until the end of the football season to restart on projects at field-level.

West Salem Art Hotel:
Looking for a fun themed hotel in an historic building? This adaptive-reuse project is currently under construction. Yes, we are adding another hotel to our project list!

Credit: west_salem_art_hotel

Reynolda House Museum of Art Restoration:

Repairing the stone chimney and installing new roof tiles:

Cloverleaf Park:
Downtown Winston-Salem's waterway is seeking $3 million from the American Rescue Plan for rehabilitation and an access, as work begins on making this an attraction for pedestrians and cyclists. And also an attraction for development, with shovel-ready sites for residential and life science projects bordering this site. One of those sites already has a life science project planned for it (Wexford Science & Technology will start construction on it next year) and another developer (Grubb Properties?) is in talks for one of the sites to construct an apartment building with retail space. I think the proposed new park's name will likely change as work starts on the project? I've heard the park will have a different name.

Off-Subject:

Random Photographs:

Credit: happychappytravels

Credit: happychappytravels

Your City

Old Posted Sep 3, 2021, 12:17 PM
Fourth and Main

Fogle Commons:
Are you ready for another downtown park space built by a developer? According to the developer, Fogle Commons is “a linear park capable of hosting larger-scale activities like musical and arts performances, academic and corporate events, and casual play or recreation.” It will also make the development sites bordering it more attractive for prospective life science tenants. The park is named for the Victorian Belgium Block street that was converted into a pedestrian path. Yes, the park will connect to that pedestrian-only street, as well as the city's High Line / Long Branch Trail path. The developer will program events for this park space and yes, they have a team in Winston-Salem that works on park programing for their other parks in the city. Stimmel Associates is the architect and Wexford Science+Technology will develop it.

Rendering of the new park space:

Credit: Perkins+Will

Old Posted Sep 11, 2021, 5:40 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:

A recent poll from Ipsos Polling said a plurality of Americans think the 80s had the best music:
Video Link

Why are there so few photographs in this update? Over the past year, it has become increasingly difficult to find photographs for this thread. And I check multiple sites for photographs, too! I think the fad of photographing everything and sharing it with the world, is coming to a close. Even developers, DWSP, and contractors rarely share construction photographs anymore. If this continues, this thread will become more of a text update with occasional photographs. It was a fun time while it lasted. I'm guessing the pandemic and changes it brought to our lives had a major impact? If you're not going to work, you're not passing-by a construction site with your phone. If the event you want to attend is rescheduled for next year, you're not standing next to a construction site to photograph it in the background.

Theatre Alliance:
We finally have photographs of the completed first phase of this project! This was the adaptive-reuse of the former Blue Bird Cab Company Building into a downtown performing arts center for the Winston-Salem Theatre Alliance. This project remains on our construction list, since it's still under construction, on the second phase. Thank you to everyone donating to this project and supporting the arts.

Credit: Omega Construction

500 West 5th:
Creative CoWorks is the newest tenant at 500 West Fifth. It's a coworking space for creative/arts-based businesses. The internationally-ranked UNCSA arts conservatory will be a partner in Creative CoWorks to help support creative entrepreneurship.

New Tech Company Headquarters:
Beam Dynamics is the newest tech company to move their headquarters to Winston-Salem. They relocated to Winston-Salem from Atlanta. The software company helps film and production companies automate equipment management. The CEO describes Winston-Salem as a city ripe for growth in the innovation sector where their business and families can thrive. Strong workforce and quality of life make Winston-Salem an easy place for them to attract talent and are among the reasons the company moved their headquarters to Winston-Salem.

Dave McNair Mastering:
This is the adaptive-reuse of an old State Government office building into an audio mastering studio, recording studios, and a residential condominium. It's a nice addition to downtown's Arts District and Dave McNair works with some of the biggest names in the music industry. The completed building should bring a few more celebrities to downtown Winston-Salem.

Salem Lake Park Improvements:
Construction is starting at Salem Lake Park, with completion set for Summer 2022. According to the City of Winston-Salem, part of the project could open early, possibly around Spring 2022? Among the improvements are a new boat ramp, shoreline bulkhead repair, a new floating dock with 12 boat slips, new paths and sidewalks, lighting, a new safety surface for the playground, park furniture, new landscaping, a two-storey pavilion with open-air shelter at the top and offices with boat storage on the lower level, and an open-air picnic shelter.

Silas Pointe Office Building:
This proposed office building is scheduled to start late this year or early next year, with completion in 2023. Features include large elevators and large floor plates. Flagship Properties is the developer. No GC was named.

Credit: Flagship Properties

New Hotel:
Hotel developer BPR Properties has acquired land for a new hotel project to be announced in November. The new hotel will be located at 3945 Oxford Station Way. Looking at all of the new hotel proposals and new hotel construction, the Winston-Salem hotel market must be performing well during this wave of COVID-19?

Lofts @ Whitaker Park:
An update on this adaptive-reuse project to convert a former industrial building into apartments. Yes, it is under construction and I'll move it to our construction list.

Credit: TBJ

According to the construction set: Demolition is scheduled to start in November 2021, with construction starting in March 2022, and completion is set for July 2023.

New Industrial Park:
NorthPoint Development of Kansas City, the largest industrial developer in the nation, is closing on 155 acres, near Salem Parkway, for a new 1.4 million square-foot industrial development. Moving fast: They are ready to pull permits and start work, now. In the past, this developer has worked with Amazon, FedEx, Home Depot, Ford Motor Company, General Motors, and Boeing. I haven't heard what tenants they could be talking with for this site?

The Gallery Ballroom:
Many of the art submissions weren't seen as fitting with the theme they wanted. I posted two of the four pieces they think could work.

We have our first look at the proposed artwork for the tunnel:

And this is a proposed painting they are considering for a wall:

Crystal Towers Apartments:
It appears as if they have all local approvals and all that remains is a renovation cost assessment. Then they can seek the final sale approval. That cost assessment was expected last month?

Huntley House Hotel at Robert Hall is now certified by the Women's Business Enterprise National Council as a woman-owned business.

New Downtown Elementary School:
The City of Winston-Salem approved allowing schools in the Downtown Entertainment District. This allows Winston-Salem / Forsyth County Schools to move forward with this project.

Fifth & Highland Apartments:
Developer Holland Homes may have a winning bid for a development site on Fifth Street? It's not official at this time, since there is an upset bid process for the property. They plan to develop apartments and this development does have a workforce housing requirement. It's not far from downtown's IQ District. I like this proposal more than the proposal for a food hub or a new City park. There is more than enough park space in the core of the city.

Roar:
An update, from a barcade across the street, on the adaptive-reuse of a former Ford Automobile Assembly Plant & Showroom into a food hall and roaring 20's-themed entertainment venue. The event space, on the lower floor, can host live music events for up to 500 people.

Credit: camelcitybbq

Nationwide Marketing Headquarters:
We now know two of the three retail tenants for the Sixth Street retail spaces. Chic & Curvy Boutique and an E-Bikes bicycle shop. The bike shop will take the largest of the three spaces, located on the western side of the building. The developer would like to have a restaurant in the main retail space on Liberty Street, so they are doing a basic restaurant shell upfit, to prepare for a restaurant in the space.

Steel was donated for the sculpture, so the artwork planned for the site is now moving forward again. Still, no photographs of the construction progress for the apartment and retail structure.

The Easley Apartments:

Friday (9/10):

Friday (9/10):

Workers haven't finished the brick on the far right side of the first floor of this section:

The Easley Apartments Crane on the Skyline:

Whitaker Park Mixed-use Project:
Chicago-based Brennan Investment Group has acquired an existing building at Whitaker Park and additional land to construct a new building with over 130,000 square-feet of space. This new building is a brownfield infill project. The existing building will be renovated in early-2022 and leased.

WFBH ED/OR/ICU Tower:
The construction site for this 12-15 storey building will soon have a 265 foot / 80.8 metres tall crane.

Off-Subject:

Random Photographs:

Aspire 2 Inspire Mural in downtown's IQ District:

Credit: innovationquarter

The finished new mural in downtown's IQ District:

Credit: innovationquarter

Your City

Old Posted Sep 16, 2021, 5:04 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:

Video Link

Liberty Park:

It does appear as if Kaleideum and Liberty Park are merged into one project, since this sign is at the Liberty Park site:

Credit: winstonwatchman

The actual Kaleideum site is on the far left:

Corporate Park:
State documents show Peloton considered metro Winston-Salem for their 2,100 job project, that was officially announced for Ohio last Spring. The local incentive offer was $7.2 million. The State of North Carolina wouldn't share how much the State offered in incentives. It's rare to see the names of some of these companies that consider our metro areas for major projects. The projects are often top secret and even this document was heavily redacted, including the State's incentive offer!

The Easley Apartments:

Credit: tbennett_sluss

The Gallery Ballroom:
The carpet and lighting have arrived and are currently being installed.

Lofts @ Whitaker Park:
The same developer owns the sites around this structure and will build new apartments, a hotel, and retail on those sites.

An update on the adaptive-reuse of these two former industrial buildings to apartments:

Off-Subject:

Top-Ten Highest-Paying NC Cities:
This is according to ZipRecruiter.

Durham: $67,180
Winston-Salem: $62,813
Greenville: $60,882
Raleigh: $60,176
Greensboro: $59,752
Wilmington: $59,388
Charlotte: $58,449
Gastonia: $58,184
Burlington: $57,181
Jacksonville: $57,163

Retiring CEO Moving to Winston-Salem to Lead Tech Efforts:
The CEO of Charlotte's second largest bank has decided he wants to retire in Winston-Salem. He won't sit around doing nothing. He wants to become a leader in Winston-Salem's transformation into a center of tech and creative jobs. I'm guessing we will learn more when he is fully retired in March 2022.

Your City

Old Posted Sep 22, 2021, 4:47 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:

Yes, Winston-Salem is the 16th hottest housing market and one of the top-25 cities for job creation over the past 18 months! And this city is currently in talks to bring a sizable Northeast biotech company to downtown!

Video Link

In today's update, you can really see the decline in the number of photographs. If you have construction photographs to share, please help this thread and share them. I'm expecting most updates in the future to look exactly like this, as the photography sharing fad fades-away and some developers and construction businesses stop using social media.

WFBH ED/OR/ICU Tower:
Parking deck demolition will soon start for this 12-15 storey tower. The developer has requested a temporary street and sidewalk closure from September 17 through February 4, 2022. They won't close the entire street, but will close a right-turn lane at the demolition site. If you walk, bike, or drive through this area, be aware of the closure. A 265 foot (80.8 metres) tall crane should arrive at the site next week, but in today's COVID-19 world, you don't really know when anything will arrive?

Innovation Quarter Development:
According to CBRE, Downtown Winston-Salem's IQ District is appearing on the radar of biotech companies looking to relocate to North Carolina. There are companies with around 50-250 employees in discussions to lease lab space in downtown Winston-Salem. According to TBJ, there are leases in discussion that could dramatically change downtown Winston-Salem, as downtown's Innovation Quarter (IQ District) captures the attention of the biomedical industry.

Spencer's Mill Hotel:
Bids are being solicited from contractors for $3 million in infrastructure work, to prepare for this proposed 80-key boutique Marriott Tribute Portfolio Hotel.

Dave McNair Mastering:
This project should be completed later this Fall. Currently, they are waiting on the doors and windows to arrive and inspections are delayed. An artist is painting a music-themed mural on the side of the building. This building and its three floors will be home to Dave McNair Mastering and Ovation Sound, along with a residential condominium. It should bring several music stars to downtown Winston-Salem's Arts District.

You can see the window openings, waiting on windows to arrive:

Credit: dangerflute

A look at the building on a rainy Tuesday (9/21):

Tanglewood Exposition Center:
This project will move to another site, after NIMBYs pressured Forsyth County to relocate it. I'm sure you can think of several great sites in Winston-Salem for this and you should contract the County Commissioners to suggest those sites. It's fully funded, it just needs a new site.

Adobe Anchor Schools:
Winston-Salem State University, Bowie State University, and San José State University have each received $1 million donations from Adobe, as part of their Adobe Anchor School Program. The program prepares students for careers in technology through university partnerships.

635 Vine Street:
There is talk of possibly converting 635 Vine Street from tech company office space to lab space, as discussions start with potential new tenants. A large biomedical company is in early talks to possibly lease this 243,000 square-foot office space in downtown Winston-Salem's IQ District.

A crane is now at the site, as of Saturday (9/18). I also see steel at the site! I seem to remember hearing the basement-level is 20 feet / 6.1 metres deep? The basement will become parking under the building and will connect to a tunnel leading to the detention center.

Workers are installing new bases for traffic signal masts and they are preparing to connect the project to City water lines, later this month. No, there aren't any photographs of this project. We haven't seen any good photographs of it since last Spring! I'm not sure why no one is photographing it?

WSTA Route Study:
This study was moved to next year.

Rails-to-Trails Bicycle Commuter Highway Expansion:
The project to extend the Long Branch bike and walking path to the airport had its start date moved to 2025.

Off-Subject:

Strongest Job Growth Cities During the Covid-19 Recovery:
Winston-Salem is among the top-25 cities adding the most jobs since the start of the COVID-19 recovery, according to Business Journals.

Hottest Housing Markets:
Zillow has ranked Winston-Salem the 16th Hottest Housing Market. This is making Winston-Salem a more expensive place to buy a house.

Random Photographs:

Nissen Building Under Construction in 1926:

From my collection of historic Winston-Salem images

The Nissen Building was the tallest building in the Carolinas from 1926-1929. It was also the tallest building in Winston-Salem from 1926-1929, when a taller building was constructed a few blocks to the east. Yes, that was when Winston-Salem was North Carolina's largest city.

Your City

Old Posted Sep 23, 2021, 1:40 AM

Excellent job updating us on all the exciting projects in Winston!

Old Posted Sep 30, 2021, 1:36 PM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:

Video Link

We have several photographs in today's update, due to the return of "stacked festivals." Stacked festivals is when downtown hosts several sizable festivals/events at the same time. This can evenly distribute people throughout downtown. Last weekend, downtown hosted everything from a massive music festival to a bicycle racing championship to a car show and the largest literary festival in the Carolinas. Seeing this as a rare opportunity to find an elusive photograph of the Link Apartments 4th Street Construction site, I searched multiple sites and even neighboring businesses' social media (restaurants, retail, and even the tenants of the skyscraper behind the site) for an update on this project. I finally found a traveling baseball fan, visiting the downtown ballpark, with an update on a video! Yes, we have a Link Apartments 4th Street update! Thank you to Mat Burns! I have wanted a photograph of that construction project for months.

Again, the hotel will be called Huntley House at Robert Hall.

A nice skyline reflection in the lower windows:

Still waiting for the remaining windows to arrive:

Credit: stewartknight

Credit: lion

Novant Health Critical Care Center:
Site demolition is about to begin, starting work on this $222 million project. Gresham Smith and McMillan Pazdan Smith Architecture are the architects for this project.

Roar:
An update on the adaptive-reuse of this former Ford automobile assembly plant and showroom into a bank office, food hall, event center, and roaring-20s entertainment center.

Credit: twincityt

Ludlow House & Sheppard House Restorations:
This project will be completed in the first quarter of 2022. They are currently researching Victorian paint colors and yes, they will use a different color palette. It's expected to be a surprise, so they are keeping the color choices quiet. It appears as if the completed project will be called The Summit Street Inn?

The Gallery Ballroom:
This is from six weeks ago. It shows carpet installation.

Truist Field Locker Room:
Wake Forest University is planning a nearly $20 million addition to their football stadium. This will add a new football locker room, equipment room, taping & training, hydro therapy, and team meeting space.

Credit: Deacon Club

Workers are about to start on a retaining wall.

The Easley Apartments:

The whole building, as seen from inside the ballpark:

Credit: Mathew Burns

Rise Indoor Sports Complex: Built!
This project is completed and hosting sports events.

Workers have removed the escalators:

Novant Health Forsyth Medical Center Renovation:
Completion is set for 2027!

1834 Nissen Wagon Works:
A reminder: This developer has proposed some demolition and a new construction building. The 1919 structure did collapse in a snow storm. The original 1834 star-shaped smokestack is still there. I'm not sure what will be demolished?

A look at the site as-it-is currently:

Sentinel Commons:

Workers creating new window openings:

Credit: Fam Brownlee

Installing office tenant signage:

Yes, the fountain is still there:

492 West End Blvd:
I thought we were following the renovation of this building, but I couldn't find it on our project list? This building has signed another tenant. A movie and TV actor will open a coffee/wine/beer establishment, in this building, called The Remedy Coffee House & Bar. It's named for a pharmacy that once operated in the space, when the building first opened in the 1920s.

The owner: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0420792/

A photograph from Winter of last year. It's the building in the distance, on the far right side:

Credit: smokecitymeats

Yes, the owner of the coffee house and bar is also the owner of the actor's school on the other side of the building.

A closer view, but in black and white:

Credit: Brandon Ore

Shaffner Hotel & Events Center:
Workers have removed carpet and restored the original hardwood floors. If you have an event: The Events Center can host events with 175 people. For those who would like to work at this hotel, they are currently hiring an executive chef.

You can see the crane appearing on the skyline:

Credit: usnccws

A bigger view of the crane (it doesn't fit in the frame!):

A block of Fourth Street will be closed until October 8, 2021, for storm water improvements connected to this project. They will also connect it to water and sewer. The sidewalks remain open, if any photographers would like to provide us updates!

Yes, it's exactly what you think it is... an update on this project after months of nothing!

Credit: Mathew Burns

If you look closely, you may see part of it in this enlarged photograph:

Credit: vtaylor42

Off-Subject:

Would you like to kayak at Grant Park? Now you can!
Video Link

Winston-Salem Cycling Classic:
Video Link

Random Photographs:
Since we didn't have many photographs in the last update, I'll share a big random photograph collection in this update!

A photograph from a month or two ago, of local cyclists on the way to a downtown craft brewery:

Credit: officialbeersngears

Credit: deltatomahawkchop422

Credit: nicky_cannon_realtor

Your City

Old Posted Oct 10, 2021, 12:55 PM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:

Video Link

Roar:
They are waiting on walk-in freezers to arrive before they open the food hall and restaurants. COVID-19 is behind the four month delay. The freezers are expected to arrive on October 12, 2021. If they arrive, the food hall could open at the end of the month and the restaurants, golf simulators, and bowling could open around the middle of next month. The basement space is now being called a music hall and is expected to open after Thanksgiving.

Ram's Point Apartments & Retail:
This is a new 33,000 square-foot proposal, from MTB3 Properties, for 28 apartments and ground floor retail between Third Street and Fourth Street at MLK. The architect is Walter Robbs. Demolition and grading are completed. Site remediation is completed. Construction is scheduled to start in 2022, with completion by November 2023. Yes, the developer is already in discussions with retail tenants.

Credit: Walter Robbs

Merschel Park:
Construction was scheduled to restart last month. I don't see any signs of work at this site.

The grass mound and construction fence are for Merschel Park:

ThinkSpace:
Work is about to start on the commissary kitchen part of this project.

Novant Health Forsyth Medical Center Renovation:
You may remember seeing photographs of this sculpture, in this thread, when it was under construction. The sculpture appears to be completed.

Video Link

Liberty Plaza:
Mayfair Street Partners could be interested in buying the Liberty Plaza skyscraper, across the street from their proposed new apartment and retail development. No real details at this time, but they are said to be preparing an offer. The building is around 75% leased with office tenants and has retail tenants. It seems to be doing well.

Blanco Tackabery Law Firm Headquarters: Built!
This project is now completed and the law firm has completed their move to downtown, in this building. Thanks to DWSP, we have a nice collection of photographs to show the completed building. This is the adaptive-reuse of an award-winning 1927 building designed to look similar to Independence Hall. It was the North Carolina AIA Building of the Year for 1927.

WFBH ED/OR/ICU Tower:
Completion for this project has moved to 2026, due to delays.

Dog Bar:
This is a downtown social club for dogs and dog owners, offering grooming, dog daycare, play areas, and a bar. A bar for both dog owners and for dogs seems to be suggested, but I'm not sure? Maybe I'm reading that wrong, but with the spending on pets today... who knows? What drinks would a dog bar offer? The name could be subject to change? Plans for this project show a kennel building, an outdoor kennel space, an indoor play area for dogs, two outdoor play areas for dogs, and both an indoor and outdoor bar. The outdoor bar will front Eleventh Street. A bike rack will be installed near Eleventh Street. I think they will reuse an existing building for the kennel and construct a new building for the indoor play area with bar. The location is 1010 Liberty Street in downtown's Industry Hill neighborhood. It's next to Steinhaugen Brewery. Long Branch Bike & Walking Trail's extension separates the craft brewery from this proposed social club for dogs.

UNCSA Student Apartments:
Construction on this 450 unit project could be completed by late next month! However, tenants won't move-in until January 2022. It was designed by LS3P as two residential buildings connected by a three-storey glass skybridge. The building's location provides an amazing view of the downtown Winston-Salem skyline. Metcon was the GC for this project.

Credit: LS3P

Fifth & Highland Apartments: Cancelled
This project is now cancelled. Holland Homes objected to the affordable housing restrictions Forsyth County tried to place on the property. I guess they wanted to build 100% upscale units? It almost appears as if they may have misled Forsyth County, for this site near downtown's IQ District, and this made the county angry enough to take the property off the market and refuse to sell to anyone!

Quarry Park Phase II:
Barr Construction is ready to start on a stair case leading to the overlook and two wing walls. The retaining walls will also be 8-foot 2.45-metre climbing walls.

Workers are installing the windows.

It appears as if they are doing major work on the cladding of 500 West 5th where it meets this apartment building:

Off-Subject:

I often speak of random performances and events at The Coal Pit and this is an example:
Video Link

Keep Winston-Salem Weird & Fun! Where else do you see people just appear and do stuff like this. That's the city I enjoy posting on.

Maya Angelou on a Quarter:
Maya Angelou, who lived in Winston-Salem for the last few decades of her life, will be honored by the U.S. Mint. She will appear on quarters minted between 2022 and 2025. The Mint is calling this the American Women Quarters. In a world of cards and phone payments, it's rare for me to have change, but if I receive any quarters, I will check for Maya Angelou. Maya Angelou loved Winston-Salem and Winston-Salem still loves her. Her birthdays were grand events in Winston-Salem.

Winston-Salem Home Prices:
Home prices increased by around 20% last month, according to CoreLogic. Demand for homes in Winston-Salem continues to increase and home builders can't build them fast enough to meet demand and there aren't enough existing homes entering the market to meet demand. According to CoreLogic, this is affecting access for buyers. According to the City, there are actually more apartment units under construction than single family homes. This does appear to be strengthening the apartment market and is a positive for downtown.

Random Photographs:

West Fifth Street in Fall 1916:

Credit: Reynolda

Credit: zachdawson11

Winston-Salem's LGBTQ+ Film Festival returned last month:

Credit: outatthemovies

Your City

Old Posted Oct 17, 2021, 5:22 PM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:
I want to thank the photographers and local businesses, sharing updates on projects, who make this thread possible. Without you, these updates won't happen. If you want to show support for downtown and this thread, providing photographs for us to use is the best way to do so.

Yes, Winston-Salem is ranked one of the top-10 safest cities in the nation! A great reason to move here, create jobs here, or invest here.

Video Link

The other day, I finally took the time to look through the photographs/renderings on this thread and just randomly listen to the songs. Now, I finally see why there is objection to me removing the music and random photographs. I guess I never really look through what I post in this thread. It does work well together if you view it like that.

Workers have completed the office space for Nationwide Marketing's headquarters and Nationwide Marketing has moved into their new space. Work continues on the retail spaces, as they wait for the transom windows for the restaurant space.

Plywood covers the transom window openings for the retail space, as they wait for those windows to arrive:

Yes, this is more than one building, attached to each other, creating one large office space. Only two of the buildings have retail spaces and one building is all office space.

Rooftop amenity space:

You can tell we are entering a different building:

The original 1920s freight elevator doors are reused at the entrance to the restrooms:

Basement training room:

Media production studio:

Service entrance converted into a common area for employees:

Ram's Point Apartments & Retail:
We have more information on this development. It will have a fitness center, granite counter tops, and a rooftop green space with a view of the skyline. Construction will start around April 2022 and completion is set for January 2023.

Merschel Park:

Still waiting for the latest excuses why this Atlanta-based developer can't seem to move this project forward...

Credit: Sandi Beason

I'm thinking about changing the status of Merschel Park and Mayfair @ Liberty Apartments to cancelled, if the developer doesn't provide an update. How many years do you wait before you know it's not happening? Usually, when they stop updating a project after missing multiple start dates, it's cancelled. They have also built other projects during the time we've waited on this project. It sounds cancelled to me, but I want to be sure.

New Downtown Elementary School:
The Winston-Salem / Forsyth County School Board will spend $2.2 million to purchase the former Thomasville Furniture Factory for a new downtown Winston-Salem elementary school. The vote to finalize the deal is scheduled for October 28, 2021. As I posted before, they will demolish the old furniture factory and build a new school building on the site, at 12th Street and Patterson Avenue (north of downtown's IQ District). This is a brownfield project and will be one of the few schools built on a brownfield site in the nation. I don't think North Carolina has any examples of a school built on a brownfield site? Finding a site large enough in downtown Winston-Salem is difficult and this was the largest site available. Demolition would begin in First Quarter 2022. Construction would start in Fall 2022, with completion set for August 2024.

Roar:
An update on the adaptive-reuse of this former Ford Automobile Assembly Plant and Showroom into a food hall, restaurants, event space, bank branch, and an entertainment facility. It's a bigger building than what it looks like.

Wachovia Residences:
A developer from San Francisco is studying this building for conversion to apartments or condominiums. It is gutted and ready for renovation, but needs some major work. They will tour the building later this month to discuss the conversion possibilities and what needs to be done to the structure. Then they will decide if the project moves forward. It was built in 1910 as a neighborhood grocery store and can be converted into as many as three apartments or condominiums. It's located in Winston-Salem's trendy and gentrifying West Salem Neighborhood bordering downtown. I haven't heard if they will add a retail space or not? I guess we shall see.

Credit: MLS

Six Hundredº:
I thought I would provide an update on this space, since so many people are asking about it. The chef of this restaurant was ranked #1 in North Carolina before the pandemic. This is his dream restaurant, located in a former downtown power plant.

Credit: sixhundred_wsnc

The fireplace is water vapor and they can change the color:

Credit: sixhundred_wsnc

Darda Wealth Management Headquarters:
I guess we can call it the Rise of the Nones. Bethesda Moravian Church was sold to Darda Wealth Management and will become their corporate headquarters. Yes, this is an adaptive-reuse project, converting a church to office space. The company has agreed to preserve as much of the old church building as possible. Construction appears to be starting, with completion set for First Quarter 2022. This could be an interesting project to follow, if we can find photographs of it.

Bethesda Moravian Church closed in 2017. It was one of several churches for sale and we are seeing a growing number of churches converted to new uses. A few have become interesting houses. In Winston-Salem, I've seen a former church building converted into a retail and co-working development. There is also a Stained Glass Playhouse performing arts center in a former Methodist church. One of my favorites is the Vintage Theatre, near UNCSA, in a former church building, used as an art museum, dance hall, and event space. It has a dramatic view of the Winston-Salem skyline from its tower. These buildings can be reused. There is currently a church for sale in downtown's IQ District, if anyone is interested.

Workers have installed decking for the first and second floors, are installing columns for the third and fourth floors, and are installing beams for the third floor. This building is going vertical, fast! It could be topped-out before Hanukkah?

624 North Trade:
We finally have a rendering of this project! It appears as if demolition is completed? The renovated building won't look much different from the former hipster department store. It will become a vanilla box restaurant space, so they want a restaurant as their tenant. Say goodbye to the alley/laneway. They will construct a large elevated outdoor space on half of the alley and convert the other half of the alley to an outdoor activity space or dining space for the restaurant. We don't know if this Ohio-based developer will destroy the mural or not? I guess we shall see? Ignore the name "Pints on Trade" in the rendering. I think that is a fake business name to show what it could look like with a restaurant in the space. The space is still shown for lease and there aren't any tenants that I'm aware of.

Current view:

Credit: Sandi Beason

A rendering:

Credit: Charlie Fulk

The Easley Apartments:
Sadly, the massive blue tower crane was removed from the downtown skyline on Saturday (10/16). However, that tells us this luxury apartment project is moving closer to completion and soon we will add nearly 500 new residents to this block, located across the street from the ballpark.

A photograph from a month ago, showing the southeastern end:

Credit: timbowman

A second crane to remove the large blue crane:

Retaining wall for second floor pool:

Duke Energy trucks:

Removing the tower crane:

The Gallery Ballroom:

This new bar is in the neighboring Embassy Suites renovation:

Credit: sunnysidemillwork

Lesser Known Beer Company:
Are you ready for another craft beer brewery? Two friends from Virginia are moving to Winston-Salem to start Lesser Known Beer Company. They are working with Claire Calvin on this project, which will also include restaurant space. Construction is close to starting and completion of the craft brewery is set for May 2022. This is an adaptive-reuse project, converting several buildings constructed between 1925-1950 into a brewery and restaurant spaces. It's located in Winston-Salem's West Salem Neighborhood, not far from downtown and Old Salem.

Credit: Lesser Known Beer Company

Downtown Streetscape:
The area around the historic 1858 Coffee Pot will become a sizable park, when workers remove the numerous connecting streets and convert Liberty and Main streets through downtown to two-way streets. In the 1930s and 1940s, large trucks were damaging the foundations of historic structures, dating back to the mid-1700s. This weird intersection was a 1950s attempt to reroute truck traffic away from the Colonial architecture in lower downtown. They will keep Old Salem Road, but rework the streets that access it. It's good to see the downtown streetscaping and two-way conversion work starting! It will add new ADA features for pedestrians and create an overall improved bike and pedestrian experience.

Off-Subject:

Wake Forest Business School in Top-5:
The Economist's 2021 global rankings of business schools has Wake Forest University's School of Business ranked #2 in the United States for career opportunities, #2 in alumni ratings, and the university's Master of Science in Management is ranked #5 in the United States and #24 in the world.

Winston-Salem Ranked Among Safest Cities in the Nation:
WalletHub ranked Winston-Salem as one of the top-10 safest cities in the United States. These cities are places with the lowest risk of crime, lowest risk of natural disasters, and lowest financial insecurity. To create the list, WalletHub researched 182 cities in three categories: Home & Community Safety, Likelihood of Natural Disasters, and Economic Security which measures jobs, debt, and poverty. Winston-Salem scored well in all three categories. Durham was 13th, Charlotte was 29th, Greensboro was 63rd, and Fayetteville was 88th on the list, if you're interested in their rankings.

Random Photographs:

Celebrity sighting at Krispy Kreme in Winston-Salem (Cortney and Robert Novogratz):

Credit: robertnovogratz

They are Manhattan developers and designers. You may have seen them on HGTV or in The New York Times, The Times of London, Casa Vogue Italy, Architectural Digest, Emirates Home, Interni, Oprah, Family Circle, Daily Candy, T Magazine, Elle, and Living.

More Winston-Salem celebrity sightings - Olympic Gold Medalist Michael Phelps:

Credit: kellyd

Restaurants in the Arts District of downtown Winston-Salem:

Credit: davontemckenith

Your City

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations