HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Jun 18, 2021, 8:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
Ottawa is going to look a lot like this by the time Roderick is finished with it.
LOL. Ottawans have low standards. So....

Old Posted Jun 18, 2021, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
That would be ghastly and not allow for a reallocation and addition of space. They have 867 275 sqft of retail space. Developed properly they could probably keep at least half a million square feet of retail, maybe even add to it. And they should be able to throw in an equal amount of office space as retail and double the amount of residential space.
They do not have anywhere near 867,275 sq ft. of retail space, try more like 500,000 and change INCLUDING the empty Sears. So much of the GLA at St. Laurent is non-retail. Herzing College, Cinestarz movie theatre, Canada Games/Skate Canada/Intact Insurance offices, sears underground warehouse, Goodlife Gym, a bunch of professional services.'

Edit: Just checked their current leasing brochure and it states 376,950 sq. ft. of CRU (commercial retail unit) tenants. Whether or not that is current and accounts for all the empty stores I don't know.
https://assets.mallmaverick.com/syst...pdf?1539625054

Old Posted Jun 18, 2021, 9:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I lived in Ottawa not too far from there for a time in my childhood.

It was once a grand 1970s mall in the typical style of that era.
Indeed. My family lived nearby in the early 80s and it still had some life back then, although you could feel its decline. It reminds me of Place Versailles in Montreal, although Saint Laurent (and the neighborhood) is not nearly as drab and bleak.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2021, 9:43 PM

As we move shopping away from transit nodes to suburban power centres along with general employment to similar business parks, transit becomes less relevant no matter how many condos we build at LRT stations. If those condo residents need to use a car to go to the business park jobs (example DND) and to shop at the power centres, they too will not be using transit. Unless jobs and retail are reasonably centralized, urbanization will not really be successful.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2021, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
As we move shopping away from transit nodes to suburban power centres along with general employment to similar business parks, transit becomes less relevant no matter how many condos we build at LRT stations.

If those condo residents need to use a car to go to the business park jobs (example DND) and to shop at the power centres, they too will not be using transit. Unless jobs and retail are reasonably centralized, urbanization will not really be successful.
There's now condos being built with less parking than there are units. It's actually rare to see anything but single family homes that have space for 1 car or more per dwelling. There's a proposed development on Cyrville of all places with zero parking for residents. Transit is becoming more relevant. Not less.

Yes, there's some suburban office parks. But by and large the generations that are coming detest them. There's a reason that companies like Shopify will spend tens of millions to locate in the core rather than a suburb. That's where their employees want to work. And increasingly where they live too. In the long run, suburban office parks are probably the most vulnerable to the Work From Home trend going forward because they are the least conveniently located.

As for suburban power centres. Just like malls they are reaching their limits. It's not just online shopping. Young people are increasingly not getting driver's licenses. And the larger a city gets, the less they need to drive. And even if they do drive, they might not own a car full time. Charsharing, ridesharing, etc. is all supplementing transit and active mobility too. All that means is that the days of spontaneously driving to power centre are coming to an end. And that will hurt the power centres in due course. The best case scenario for most of them is to evolve into lifestyle centres like Shops at Don Mills in Toronto. But then those are easy to add residential to. The privatized open spaces suck. But they are at least better than the traditional mall or power centre.

Ultimately though, there's no getting around the fact that we are substantially over-provisioned with retail space. And there will have to be readjustments in what we allocate space to. This is unsustainable on so many levels:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
They do not have anywhere near 867,275 sq ft. of retail space, try more like 500,000 and change INCLUDING the empty Sears. So much of the GLA at St. Laurent is non-retail. Herzing College, Cinestarz movie theatre, Canada Games/Skate Canada/Intact Insurance offices, sears underground warehouse, Goodlife Gym, a bunch of professional services.'

Edit: Just checked their current leasing brochure and it states 376,950 sq. ft. of CRU (commercial retail unit) tenants. Whether or not that is current and accounts for all the empty stores I don't know.
https://assets.mallmaverick.com/syst...pdf?1539625054
I absolutely agree that they could do with less retail. Realistically, there's stores in there that would close and never come back if the mall closed. They should probably be aiming to keep less than 300k sqft in retail space. And then aim to add a minimum of one housing unit for every 50 sqft of retail and 2-3x as much in commercial office space. Morguard should be looking to wring out more value from this site. That mall really can't be delivering that much in return to them. And it's probably going to be worse post-pandemic.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2021, 9:46 AM

I don’t think there is a lot of evidence that companies are abandoning the suburbs. Shopify has largely abandoned brick and mortar altogether.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2021, 11:59 AM

We haven't even close to begun the full full rationalization of office space post pandemic.

There's always going to businesses in those suburban office parks. The question is whether they can attract any density of jobs. I'm deeply skeptical that they will be able to do that when there's much more transit oriented commercial development options to choose from.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2022, 9:08 PM

Was just there today.

They’re opening an Urban Behavior store in the old Sears. I imagine they’ll only be using the ground floor. I can’t imagine they’ll need the second level or basement.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2022, 12:08 PM

Urban Behaviour is a fairly medium size store (the one at Square 1 is about the same size as the Indigo next to it). Not sure how that would work even on one floor at Sears.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2022, 5:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
Urban Behaviour is a fairly medium size store (the one at Square 1 is about the same size as the Indigo next to it). Not sure how that would work even on one floor at Sears.
Not sure but I took a peek as they had the doors open to move stuff in and out and as some of the trainee staff arrived. It looked like they were using most of the first level if not all of it.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2022, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Never heard of Urban Behaviour. Do they add the "u" in Behaviour for the Canadian market?

Old Posted Sep 14, 2022, 1:51 AM

DON'T GET EXCITED!!! NOT a proposal for St. Laurent.

Morguard proposal for Bamalea City Centre Shopping Mall in Brampton. They are pimping out all sorts of decent proposals for malls across Canada. Why is it so hard to get anything done at St. Laurent?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maldive View Post
Bramalea City Centre Redevelopment | 119.3m | 33s | Morguard Corporation | ARK Inc. l pre-construction

First phase which replaces a former Sears store. 33, 30, 26 and 12 storeys with residential (about 1000 units), office, retail and public space.

UT

UT

UT

UT

Massing plan from the vision document of a few years ago (a full build-out).

UT

Old Posted Sep 14, 2022, 2:07 AM

St. Laurent hasn't been meaningfully invested in since they put the acid trip airship art up in the atriums in the 90's. The mall has been left to crumble for decades, with the odd thin veneer of paint and tile to keep it on life support. I find it very strange considering it's incredible location and excess of redevelopment space.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2022, 2:27 AM

Honestly, the best version of St. Laurent really was the 90s. The mid-2000s food court was a decent addition as well, but by that time we lost the fountain and grocery store.

Everything done after was a disappointment. It just made the mall more generic and faceless.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2022, 3:07 PM

Out of the 3 major malls we have on the Ottawa side, I really don't understand why St.Laurent couldn't make proper improvements.

Both Bayshore and Rideau have effective plans to incorporate density directly connected to their malls. I get that those 2 are under CF, but St. Laurent is still beside a major station too and in a prime location, many would love that location if they just built something viable. \

IMO, incorporating a few varying towers directly near mall entrances would really spruce up and liven the place up, and that would also help fund renovations to improve the areas of the mall too. It's a shame, because it will be one of the few stations with a full on retail presence directly connected.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2022, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalmuffins View Post
Both Bayshore and Rideau have effective plans to incorporate density directly connected to their malls. I get that those 2 are under CF,
Bayshore is not a Cadillac Fairview mall. They are currently owned by Kingsett Capital. They were previously owned by Ivanhoe Cambridge.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2022, 3:27 PM

The Sears Parking garage is now condemned (or at least, the lower levels are closed due to structural issues). This is a great opportunity to start a redevelopment of the mall by building a mixed-use centre along the entire west side of the property. If they could wrap around and redevelop between the old food court/cinema and the Queensway to better integrate the transit station, bonus.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2022, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalmuffins View Post
Out of the 3 major malls we have on the Ottawa side, I really don't understand why St.Laurent couldn't make proper improvements.

Both Bayshore and Rideau have effective plans to incorporate density directly connected to their malls. I get that those 2 are under CF, but St. Laurent is still beside a major station too and in a prime location, many would love that location if they just built something viable. \

IMO, incorporating a few varying towers directly near mall entrances would really spruce up and liven the place up, and that would also help fund renovations to improve the areas of the mall too. It's a shame, because it will be one of the few stations with a full on retail presence directly connected.
I think the geography of the transit station would be a significant obstacle. There is no good way to access it outside of mall hours.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2022, 3:45 PM

This is asking a lot, but if the City still needs to rebuild the upper deck/bus loop at St. Laurent, and the Feds are still planning on building a new complex across the Queensway, than the three parties should get together and plan a complete rebuild of the station that benefits everyone, most notably the riders.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2022, 4:19 PM

Quote:
I think the geography of the transit station would be a significant obstacle. There is no good way to access it outside of mall hours.
I'm sure they can find/make interior routes within the mall grounds to get direct connections outside of the inside mall.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa