HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 6:28 PM

There's a lot of sexy in that list! Maybe not in a supermodel kind of way, but definitely in a girl next door or study buddy who you spend more time thinking about than you really think you should kind of way.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 6:59 PM

Liberty Sky

Small machinery being unloaded on the Liberty Sky lot today. Some kind of back hoe or excavator it looks like.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 8:05 PM
One Thing At A Time

The Priskos' are my land lords so I have a little insight on the APS plans. That is just to say, they are still working on it and are motivated primarily to make a statement tower (new tallest) in honor of their father's legacy. I will say that the younger of the Priskos clan are eager to continue to improve SLC and not let their properties sit and rot like we have seen in the past. They are, however, leasing out the spaces that at some point should become APS Hotel on short term lease terms. I believe three year terms. So although they are working towards the tower getting built it's probably not going to start construction for quite some time.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 8:19 PM

The APS Tower would be the only one I'm rooting against. I think tearing down those buildings that front 100 South would be a major loss, especially when there's space for a narrower tower on the vacant property behind them.
For as long as the Prisko's plan are to demolish those storefronts, I'll be hoping their plans never materialize.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 10:24 PM
The Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedikermit View Post
Looking at that...none of those are what I'd call "tall"...but wow, that's dense. Even given our gigantor city blocks and wide streets...that's dense. And density is going to lead to height. If those happen, Salt Lake City will be transformed. Hopefully for the better-ish.
Jedikermit, I was on google maps marking each tower in its spot in my mind and was noticing that there won't be much of any space within the D1 zone "if" all of those get built. Unless one of these towers ends up 500-600 feet there won't be space for something to give the skyline more height in the core of the city. Only spot remaining would be the Zions bank lot on the corner of Main and 100 S.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2019, 2:07 AM

There's some big parking lots, etc to the southern end of the CBD, such as the former Zephyr club lot, and the parking lot on the northeast corner of 4thsouth and State. I'm not sure if the CBD goes to 5th south, but if if did, there is lots of space to develop on there, too. I hope the church starts to build on the block west of Temple Square or lets other developers build on that. We need better vibrancy on that stretch of South Temple and North Temple.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2019, 3:18 AM
Ironweed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viperlord View Post
I was in the process of compiling the information that I could think of as you were probably writing your previous post.

So I made a rundown of anything over 10 stories:

370 Millennium Tower
370 S. West Temple
27 stories

Tower 8
100 S. State Street
26 stories
395 feet

The Cascade (Tower 2)
50 West 100 South
20 stories
260 feet

Kensington Tower
200 South State Street
39 stories
448 feet

Liberty Sky
151 South State Street
21 stories
262 feet

Regent Street Hotel
45 East 200 South
20 stories
337 feet

Convention Center Hotel
200 South West Temple
28 stories
335 feet

Hines Tower/ Utah Theatre
144 South Main Street
30 stories
375 feet

Block 67 - Northwest Quarter (Phase 1)
251 West 100 South
11 stories –hotel
11 stories –residential

Block 67 - Northwest Quarter (Future Phases)
251 West 100 South
18 stories – residential
25 stories – office

650 Main
600 South Main Street
10 stories

655 W Temple (phase 2)
655 South West Temple
10 stories

RDA property
255 South State Street
14 stories

Hardware Station Office building
155 North 400 West
10 stories

Possible Others:
Arrow Press Square development
?
?

btw, an interesting find..... Kensington has added another downtown SLC property to their portfolio this year. purchased it in May 2019.

http://www.kicboston.com/properties/...200-south-2-2/

If all these projects were to be built, the city could claim a legitimate city core. It would be beyond doubt at that point, in my mind.

Sure, it already has a core. Kinda... These projects, if completed, would put it into "Real Deal" mode. (My opinion of course)

Kensington really should level that second property they just acquired and put tower there as well.

Seems like momentum is finally in SLC's favor. (Knock on Wood)

Old Posted Sep 10, 2019, 4:07 AM

Random post:

Check out Revenge of the Ninja trailer, it's filmed on top of the American Towers in downtown SLC.

Last edited by Orlando; Sep 10, 2019 at 6:48 PM.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2019, 4:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
Randon post:

Check out Revenge of the Ninja trailer, it's filmed on top of the American Towers in downtown SLC.
Lol, I saw that! About 30 years ago! Also Cory Haim was in a movie filmed at a house on the avenues and also east high. Can’t remember the name though.

Funny thought Orlando.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2019, 10:05 AM

Quote:
There's some big parking lots, etc to the southern end of the CBD, such as the former Zephyr club lot, and the parking lot on the northeast corner of 4thsouth and State. I'm not sure if the CBD goes to 5th south, but if if did, there is lots of space to develop on there, too. I hope the church starts to build on the block west of Temple Square or lets other developers build on that. We need better vibrancy on that stretch of South Temple and North Temple.

I was thinking the same thing on both counts Orlando. As far as S. Temple, I can't wait for the day when those blocks west of Temple Square are fully developed into something other than giant parking lots. It would be great if the LDS Church would really expand their Business College and their BYU Salt Lake Campus. Something along the line of a modern very urban Columbia. A Campus that is very perimeter dense with high rise housing, classrooms, etc., but also beautifully landscaped courtyards/common areas toward the centers of the blocks.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2019, 4:55 PM
They all float down here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah_Dave View Post
Lol, I saw that! About 30 years ago! Also Cory Haim was in a movie filmed at a house on the avenues and also east high. Can’t remember the name though.

Funny thought Orlando.
Dream Machine. It was direct-to-video at the tail-end of his successful 80s career. He purchases a Porsche, I want to say, off an older lady who sells it dirt cheap after finding out her husband has been cheating ... but doesn't realize the body of the husband has been stuffed inside the car and now he must avoid the man's murderers.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2019, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
I was thinking the same thing on both counts Orlando. As far as S. Temple, I can't wait for the day when those blocks west of Temple Square are fully developed into something other than giant parking lots. It would be great if the LDS Church would really expand their Business College and their BYU Salt Lake Campus. Something along the line of a modern very urban Columbia. A Campus that is very perimeter dense with high rise housing, classrooms, etc., but also beautifully landscaped courtyards/common areas toward the centers of the blocks.
I was walking past that abandoned Dees restaurant on North Temple yesterday. It's weird that nothing has been done with it yet. It's just been sitting there vacant for... 15+ years? It would be nice if the church would announce plans for those blocks soon.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2019, 5:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC14 View Post
I was walking past that abandoned Dees restaurant on North Temple yesterday. It's weird that nothing has been done with it yet. It's just been sitting there vacant for... 15+ years? It would be nice if the church would announce plans for those blocks soon.
I bet they're using it for storage. I know they will do that often. Whatever the future plans are for those blocks I hope they put them on the front burner soon.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2019, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
Dream Machine. It was direct-to-video at the tail-end of his successful 80s career. He purchases a Porsche, I want to say, off an older lady who sells it dirt cheap after finding out her husband has been cheating ... but doesn't realize the body of the husband has been stuffed inside the car and now he must avoid the man's murderers.
Yup! That’s it.

It wasn’t too bad a movie for the time either. I just remembered watching it looking for landmarks in the movie. I lived not to far away from the house that was in the movie. I believe it was on about 3rd ave.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 3:08 PM

Liberty Sky

Trees and shrubs being cleared and removed at Liberty Sky lot this morning. Workers also moving the bus stop shelter.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 3:20 PM

Getting greedy now, but does anyone have any insight as to when the Convention Center hotel is expected to break ground? With Comic Con behind us, that wraps up the busy convention season doesn't it?

Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottharding View Post
Getting greedy now, but does anyone have any insight as to when the Convention Center hotel is expected to break ground? With Comic Con behind us, that wraps up the busy convention season doesn't it?
Supposed to be before end of the year. Fall or early winter most likely.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 3:25 PM

I believe someone on here said that it should begin in the first quarter of next year, 2020. Though, I would think that they could begin demolition a lot sooner than that.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 4:32 PM

Quote:
I believe someone on here said that it should begin in the first quarter of next year, 2020. Though, I would think that they could begin demolition a lot sooner than that.
They are still working on completing the design documents for the project. Early work won't start until January or February of 2020.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 4:58 PM

When is Phase 1 going to start for Block 67. Do they plan on building tower 2 anytime soon. Love to hear what is going on. Hopefully I would love to visit Salt Lake City and see the new towers that are getting built.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West