HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 22, 2020, 11:09 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalreg View Post
No you are right, they would probably spend $10's of Billions instead.
I'm sure glad this hatred for people's fellow human and the arrogance in thinking that capitalists and their puppets in power know what's better for communities is being exposed more and more lately. The real answer is to educate and inform the population but then you wouldn't get a shiny, new bypass because they would then understand how much of a handout it is to people who are already privileged.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2020, 1:28 AM

Never let anyone tell you that a better urban environment is too expensive or impossible. It's all about prioritizing the collective good. Check out these streetscape differences between the Utrecht of 1982 and 2020 https://twitter.com/FouadUrbanist/st...906468865?s=19.

Yes, Saskatoon is a different context but we can build a beautiful and livable city if we set our priorities. Not every road needs to be a multilane thoroughfare, suburban development needs to be curtailed, and no, we should not be building roads through sensitive environmental areas.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2020, 1:39 PM

Regina built theirs to lower trucking costs which will incentivize more businesses to both do business with Sask and set up shop in Sask. Yes the greedy capitalists (eye roll) set it up for the 1% of truckers.

Just yesterday Portage La Prairie got another $100M investment announcement for a pulse protein processing facility, which is on top of over $800M in already announced initiatives in that area. I know for fact all of that was originally being looked at by Warman. Why didn’t they set up here? More expensive freighting costs where they wanted to set up around Warman (a road like this will fix that for the next billion dollar pulse processor looking to open up shop here), power costs are twice as much in SK than MB because of their cheap hydro (we’re now contracting more hydro power with Mb than ever before).

But omg these capitalists are evil. They’re doing it for the benefits of economic activity which apparently benefits no one lol. We wouldn’t even have a Saskatoon community as close to as beautiful as it is if it weren’t for capitalist potash. Saskatoon is only beautiful because of our commodity industry which heavily relies on rail, trucking. Come on man lol. im excited for all of the capital projects Saskatoon gets to do thanks to our resource royalties that other places can’t

Old Posted Jun 23, 2020, 1:50 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by roryn1 View Post
Regina built theirs to lower trucking costs which will incentivize more businesses to both do business with Sask and set up shop in Sask. Yes the greedy capitalists (eye roll) set it up for the 1% of truckers.

Just yesterday Portage La Prairie got another $100M investment announcement for a pulse protein processing facility, which is on top of over $800M in already announced initiatives in that area. I know for fact all of that was originally being looked at by Warman. Why didn’t they set up here? More expensive freighting costs where they wanted to set up around Warman (a road like this will fix that for the next billion dollar pulse processor looking to open up shop here), power costs are twice as much in SK than MB because of their cheap hydro (we’re now contracting more hydro power with Mb than ever before).

But omg these capitalists are evil. They’re doing it for the benefits of economic activity which apparently benefits no one lol. We wouldn’t even have a Saskatoon community as close to as beautiful as it is if it weren’t for capitalist potash. Saskatoon is only beautiful because of our commodity industry which heavily relies on rail, trucking. Come on man lol. im excited for all of the capital projects Saskatoon gets to do thanks to our resource royalties that other places can’t
You’re really using potash as an example? At a time when mines are being shut down and workers laid off? You do know PotashCorp used to be a Crown Corp right? I’m all for investing in better and more efficient power infrastructure but I stand by what I said about the bypass. Regina’s bypass had absolutely no positive effect to the failed Global Transportation Hub, where the only thing happening lately is from, you guessed it, Crown corporations. And trust me when I say this... it’s not capitalists that make Saskatoon beautiful. Lay off the Koolaid, man.

Edit: Also where is that $100M coming from for that pulse plant in Manitoba? Funny how you spout the virtues of capitalism but then get upset that Warman missed out on the plant because we didn’t spend enough money to win the competition against Manitoba. Well, fuck that. If capitalism is so great, why do corporations (like Amazon, for example) need provinces and states to compete in a race to see who can bend over further? Oh right, because they only care about profits and aren’t actually some hero

Edit 2: I never once mentioned truckers in my posts. It’s the companies they work 18 hour days for that drive them or hockey teams to the grave that I am referring to.

Last edited by djforsberg; Jun 23, 2020 at 2:26 PM.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2020, 3:32 PM

wow lol

Old Posted Jun 23, 2020, 3:57 PM
BANNED

Quote:
wow lol
Fantastic response

Old Posted Jun 23, 2020, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djforsberg View Post
I'm sure glad this hatred for people's fellow human and the arrogance in thinking that capitalists and their puppets in power know what's better for communities is being exposed more and more lately. The real answer is to educate and inform the population but then you wouldn't get a shiny, new bypass because they would then understand how much of a handout it is to people who are already privileged.
I really wish I could understand your rhetoric, but guess I'm a simple Saskatchewan folk.

End of the day you can have your rant but the roads keep getting built, people keep driving, and the World gets another day older.

I can wait for my F350 to drive on all these new shiny roads once they are built.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2020, 10:48 PM

"Arguing with an idealogue is like wrestling with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the idealogue likes it." - Apologies to George Bernard Shaw.

BTW, my comment applies equally to supporters on both sides of this argument.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2020, 11:28 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I really wish I could understand your rhetoric, but guess I'm a simple Saskatchewan folk.

End of the day you can have your rant but the roads keep getting built, people keep driving, and the World gets another day older.

I can wait for my F350 to drive on all these new shiny roads once they are built.
Our government is certainly ran by simpletons so you're right. I accept the things I cannot change. But if I happen to open just one other person's mind to seeing things a little clearer, I am happy at the end of the day. If you really want to understand what I am saying and learn something, DM me.

Last edited by djforsberg; Jun 23, 2020 at 11:42 PM.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2020, 11:37 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis View Post
"Arguing with an idealogue is like wrestling with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the idealogue likes it." - Apologies to George Bernard Shaw.

BTW, my comment applies equally to supporters on both sides of this argument.
Funny you say that because if you search my post history, you'll see that I was once as naive as some those here who get turned on by the prospect of having a shiny new highway they will never use, but you'll notice as time went on, I changed. I feel I got wiser, yet more cynical. Part of it was because I stopped focusing my desires on material objects. I realized family, friends and community (i.e. real social connection) is more important to me than toys and money and have realized this anecdote could likely be applied to society in general to help us be more happy and healthy.

So, I don't think I am an ideologue. Radical, sure. Passionate, absolutely. But definitely not an ideologue. I pride myself in my ability to learn and consider new information. I have to to be successful as a software developer contractor designing cutting-edge web applications. So consider the times were are living in. The status quo is not going to fix the frightening direction humanity is headed (i.e. climate change, socioeconomic inequality, etc.). To me, making life better for all of us involves a radical new approach and building new bypasses in relatively-tiny fucking cities is the last thing we should be doing.

Last edited by djforsberg; Jun 24, 2020 at 4:10 PM.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2020, 11:44 PM
Peddling to progress

[QUOTE=Crisis;8952084] If most people currently living here wanted to live in a more urban environment, they would be living in Toronto, or Vancouver. Or even Calgary or Edmonton in some cases. Not to say that there isn't a segment of our population that want a more urbanized livestyle. Those people may be in the majority on this forum, but they certainly aren't the majority of Saskatoon area residents.

I don't think this is true. I think most people who are in Saskatoon are here because of family or work/education. For plenty of 20-somethings like me the tie of family is stronger than the desire to live in Toronto or Vancouver.

I think there are people who want to keep a foot in both worlds: I have a work colleague who drives a 1/4 ton for no practical purpose but also bikes to work. I also know another woman who lives in an apartment in Stonebridge but takes a bus downtown regularly. If she wasn't left waiting for unreliable busses half the time maybe she would always ride the bus?

My wife and I just sold our second care because we moved to a core neighbourhood. The only time we use our car is to drive to Erindale and Wildwood to visit family. If the BRT system could actually take us from Broadway to Erindale in 25 minutes we could go everywhere we needed by bike or bus and wouldn't need to drive our vehicle inside the city at all.

The attitude that citizens who want to live an urban lifestyle should move somewhere else is stupid. As the province's population ages Saskatoon and Regina need to do everything possible to retain college graduates who appreciate things like public transportation, urban density and shared public spaces.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2020, 5:20 AM

FarmerHaight hit the nail on the head.

I live downtown right now and now that i’m working from home indefinitely I kind of want to move out of the downtown. I would never live in the burbs so I’d like a perimeter highway to get around. I think Covid is definitely going to promote more to acreages, so this is definitely necessary.

It’s mostly necessary for our trucking infrastructure though. We need to stay cost competitive to AB and MB when shipping goods or manufacturing jobs will go to those provinces. There’s a major announcement for a pulse processing thing happening tomorrow morning with AGT foods. I’m not exactly sure if it’s the size of MB’s $1B in combined announcements the last few years in pulse processing, but it’s something that will need infrastructure for both raw peas, and the raw processes end product. Google Ingredion Saskatoon for more info on our huge investments in plant protein around Saskatoon! More to come on that space around here 👍

Old Posted Jun 25, 2020, 1:59 PM
BANNED

Quote:
FarmerHaight hit the nail on the head.
I think you misunderstood FarmerHaight's post.

Quote:
I live downtown right now and now that i’m working from home indefinitely I kind of want to move out of the downtown. I would never live in the burbs so I’d like a perimeter highway to get around. I think Covid is definitely going to promote more to acreages, so this is definitely necessary.
I'll repeat myself: the bypass is not a commuter highway. The only ones using it will be trucks bypassing the city. No one in the suburbs will be using it. Just like the Regina bypass.

Quote:
It’s mostly necessary for our trucking infrastructure though. We need to stay cost competitive to AB and MB when shipping goods or manufacturing jobs will go to those provinces. There’s a major announcement for a pulse processing thing happening tomorrow morning with AGT foods. I’m not exactly sure if it’s the size of MB’s $1B in combined announcements the last few years in pulse processing, but it’s something that will need infrastructure for both raw peas, and the raw processes end product. Google Ingredion Saskatoon for more info on our huge investments in plant protein around Saskatoon! More to come on that space around here 👍
Keep dreaming. A bypass isn't going to make much of a difference, trust me. And even if it did, handing out $2B to corporations is extremely foolish at a time when we need to completely re-invent our economy for the future.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2020, 10:42 PM

The Regina bypass is obviously your sore point here dj. If and when Saskatoon builds this, with the help of the province and feds, so be it. It will get built and all your moan and groan won't change that.

Long term this will help a huge chunk of Saskatoon and Saskatchewan residents so I say build it now!

Old Posted Jun 26, 2020, 12:18 AM
BANNED

Quote:
The Regina bypass is obviously your sore point here dj
Not at all. It’s just a recent and local example of how much of a waste this is.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2020, 4:46 AM

CN and CP offer such ridiculous rates compared to what they offer in AB and MB for Intermodal, so as a province our only options are creating an crown rail corp or getting better at truck transport. We actually kick ass at truck transport already and this will continue to lower costs and promote more local products. A good example of this is Black Fox Distillery figuring out how to cost effectively ship their award winning gin to Europe, without having to move to Calgary or Winnipeg just to offset shipping costs. The Regina Bypass has already made great strides in cutting costs and better integrating intermodal into the province - check out Canada’s first privately run intermodal facility https://www.intermobil.ca/

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 2:34 PM

Needed to re-animate this thread from the depths of page 2.

Wondering about people's thoughts on the City of Saskatoon considering a change to 40kph speed limits in residential areas. What do you think?

I really don't think it's needed. I'm not aware of a multitude of vehicular incidents (hitting pedestrians or other vehicles) that would necessitate this change.

Will a change from 50kph to 40kph result in fewer incidents? Almost certainly. And a drop to 30kph would likely result in even fewer. 20kph? Might bring it close to zero, other than cars getting rear-ended by bicycles. An extreme proposal, but you get my point. At what speed does the need for efficient movement of vehicles intersect with the safety of those roads?

Of primary concern is the idea that any road with street-facing homes is considered a "residential" street. That would include most of the arterial streets in the city: Idylwyld, 8th street, 22nd street, College Drive. Though the extent of the application of a reduced speed limit (if any) is still to be determined, I would hope that a bit of common sense would enter into the decision.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 3:21 PM

If people haven't seen this, today is the last day for the Province's engagement on the next phase of the Saskatoon Freeway.

https://www.saskatoonfreewayvoh.ca/

It's definitely worth taking a look at.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 3:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis View Post
Needed to re-animate this thread from the depths of page 2.

Wondering about people's thoughts on the City of Saskatoon considering a change to 40kph speed limits in residential areas. What do you think?

I really don't think it's needed. I'm not aware of a multitude of vehicular incidents (hitting pedestrians or other vehicles) that would necessitate this change.

Will a change from 50kph to 40kph result in fewer incidents? Almost certainly. And a drop to 30kph would likely result in even fewer. 20kph? Might bring it close to zero, other than cars getting rear-ended by bicycles. An extreme proposal, but you get my point. At what speed does the need for efficient movement of vehicles intersect with the safety of those roads?

Of primary concern is the idea that any road with street-facing homes is considered a "residential" street. That would include most of the arterial streets in the city: Idylwyld, 8th street, 22nd street, College Drive. Though the extent of the application of a reduced speed limit (if any) is still to be determined, I would hope that a bit of common sense would enter into the decision.
I'm all for it on the local neighbourhood streets, and am open to being convinced on some of the busier routes.

I've tried many times in the past to consciously and deliberately drive at 50 kph on local streets (when I felt it was safe to do so) and it just feels way too fast. It feels like it's wrong and shouldn't be allowed. This is especially so on the narrower streets in older central neighbourhoods with cars parked on both sides (that a kid could emerge from at a moment's notice), but I've found it to be the case in suburban areas as well. It seems my typical going rate on these streets is around 40 kph.

Literature that I've read is that fatalities of vulnerable road users in motor vehicle accidents (pedestrians, cyclists) go down considerably with a 10 kph reduction in speed, and Saskatoon has pedestrian fatalities every year. I also think that impacts of the lower speed on travel times would be barely noticeable.

Another consideration to slowing traffic that's worth noting -- noise reduction and the change to the "feel" of streets, especially on our more pedestrian-heavy streets in the downtown and adjacent areas. They're a lot more pleasant to walk on, or spend time on, when the traffic is a little calmer. I'm less concerned about this effect, say, out on 8th Street. Although if the City wants to make corridors like that more attractive for mixed use development with residential over the next 40 years, then we need to be thinking about making those places into more pleasant living environments as well.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 5:38 PM

Here's the link to the COS Project page for the Speed Limit Review:

https://www.saskatoon.ca/engage/speed-limit-review

It contains a link to a survey on the subject and has a comments forum near the bottom of the page.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan