HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 4, 2020, 1:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
I get it that Streveler is going down to make his money, it totally makes sense. But he is a long way from being a competent passer yet that would lead to him having a key role on an NFL team. He has to the make the cash but might get tired of the no-fun-league after a while. In the meantime, Bombers probably want to bring in some prospects. Or turn Andrew Harris into a backup QB.
I think they won't be using him to pass very much, he'll be a gadget player and potentially an H-back running some routes and blocking, potentially running an option package as a QB.

Arizona guaranteed him $100,000 which is almost unheard of for futures contracts for CFL guys. They have a pretty good idea of how they want to use him and how he's going to fit on the roster.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2020, 5:41 PM

The fact is Strevler is a great choice as a short yardage QB. He can call the plays, handoff, run or toss a short pass around the 5 yard range. He could also fill in at halfback in a game if needed or if there were specific plays built around a dual halfback set. There could even be some dual halfback play sets that are handoff to Strevler that then does a short pass.

No one is looking at him to be a starting QB but his versatility is what makes his a good #2.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2020, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny D Oh View Post
I think they won't be using him to pass very much, he'll be a gadget player and potentially an H-back running some routes and blocking, potentially running an option package as a QB.

Arizona guaranteed him $100,000 which is almost unheard of for futures contracts for CFL guys. They have a pretty good idea of how they want to use him and how he's going to fit on the roster.
Yeah, I get all that, he’s going to make his money. My point is that gadget players usually have a limited shelf life. If he really wants to prove himself as a QB, he’s going to have to learn how to pass the ball. We may see him back in the CFL at some point.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2020, 7:03 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Yeah, I get all that, he’s going to make his money. My point is that gadget players usually have a limited shelf life. If he really wants to prove himself as a QB, he’s going to have to learn how to pass the ball. We may see him back in the CFL at some point.
I’m sure the guy wants the thrill of making it to the NFL, come what may.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2020, 7:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
I’m sure the guy wants the thrill of making it to the NFL, come what may.
I think it might have been a harder decision if he was a CFL starter making a half million or whatever - in other words, the Bo Levi Mitchell scenario where he opted to stay in Canada rather than take a gamble on the NFL. But if you're going to be a backup either way, you might as well do it in the NFL where you'll earn more and you'll have at least a theoretical chance of increasing your income by orders of magnitude.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2020, 7:41 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I think it might have been a harder decision if he was a CFL starter making a half million or whatever - in other words, the Bo Levi Mitchell scenario where he opted to stay in Canada rather than take a gamble on the NFL. But if you're going to be a backup either way, you might as well do it in the NFL where you'll earn more and you'll have at least a theoretical chance of increasing your income by orders of magnitude.
Plus you get a lifetime of connections and opportunities and marketability, even if your playing career is brief.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2020, 7:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
Plus you get a lifetime of connections and opportunities and marketability, even if your playing career is brief.
Good point. Not that I see Streveler going down that road himself, but there are many former hockey players who earn a living running camps and player development based on the "ex-NHLer" status they earned after playing 15 games in the 1990s or whatever. Having those credentials certainly gives you a lot of credibility in that sphere.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 6:40 PM

While I am not up on all the ins and outs of NFL deals, my understanding in the Cardinals deal is a $100K futures deal. I took that to mean they are paying him $100K to secure his rights to attend training camp when in starts later in the year. Basically stay at home, work on your conditioning and we will see you are camp, or in other words being paid to not play in the CFL. If he earns a spot a camp a second contract would be coming for additional money. If he doesn't earn a spot at camp he is free to go elsewhere (XFL, CFL, etc) but will likely come back to the Bombers to finish out the season, if the team puts forward a deal.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 6:45 PM

I believe that is correct Cory. But I am not up to speed on NFL contracts either.

From all accounts, Streveler would sign again with the Bombers. But nothing is set in stone. I wonder if it's possible to somehow retain his rights again in the event he does get cut from NFL.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 8:31 PM

There is no formal way to retain a player's CFL rights when they are released to go to the NFL. That said the existing relationship and good will between the player and the team can often go a long way there.

How Strevler was treated by the fans and community here was huge. I have less insight into the closed door team dynamics but my impression is he felt that he was treated very fairly here.

All signs point towards the Bombers being the first call if he is coming to the CFL and if they are making a fair offer he isn't going to go on a big showy tour of visiting every team in the league before he signs.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 8:52 PM

^ Let's face it, the average trajectory of a unheralded number 3 QB, which is what Streveler was supposed to be before Darian Durant buggered off with his bonus and Matt Nichols got seriously injured, would be to lurk in the shadows, maybe get a few mop up reps, move on to another team, rinse, repeat, get released, move on to selling insurance or whatever.

The Streveler path of starting mere months out of college before becoming a key role player that helps his team to a championship while becoming a beloved folk hero is damn near unprecedented. If that doesn't give him good vibes about Winnipeg I don't know what possibly could.

That said, I hope he enjoys great success in Arizona and comes back only for alumni events where he can flash his Grey Cup and Super Bowl rings.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 9:10 PM

I can't think of another case like this where everything is on the up and up from all sides.

And agreed on him having great success in the NFL.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2020, 9:37 PM

Bombers are getting it done. Willie Jefferson back. Darvin Adams back. Collaros back. Couture back.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2020, 9:54 PM

That's awesome. Getting Jefferson back is huge... nice to see that he didn't get seduced by MLSE treating him and his family to courtside Raptors seats on the weekend

After losing a few players to the NFL I was getting worried... but now it looks a lot of the core is going to remain intact.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2020, 10:20 PM

Bombers paid him the asking price. So he chose to come back. 2 year deal as well.

I seen him courtside at the Raptors game and got worried. He was also in Hamilton while out in Ontario.

Bombers should be a heavy hitter for the next couple seasons. Let the good times roll!

Old Posted Feb 11, 2020, 2:17 AM

Not only is it impressive that the Bombers got all their guys back (that didn't go to NFL), but that they got all two and THREE year contracts. In an age where a two year CFL contract is a rarity, that is awesome. Frankly shocked Nichols and Adams got three. Good for Darvin – that contract will take him to 33 years old, I'm gonna guess he gave up some AAV for the extra year to make it work for the team (and himself).

Old Posted Feb 12, 2020, 8:32 PM

Jefferson coming back is huge, and he took less money to come back. Not as big a fan of the Darvin Adams news but hope it works out. I think he is on the decline.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2021, 2:11 PM

Anyone from the Peg planning on heading to the Hammer for Grey Cup 2021 in December and hopefully watch the Bombers defend their CFL championship?

Old Posted Jul 13, 2021, 2:30 PM

Quote:
Current Contract:
Year Age Basic Salary Cap Hit Year Total
2020 25 $610,000 $610,000 - $628,094($628,094)
2021 26 $780,000 $780,000 - $780,000($1,408,094)
2022 27 $895,000 $895,000 - $895,000($2,303,094)

Seems to have worked out pretty good for Strevs! $2.3 million US for 3 years of work. And a combined US federal and Arizona tax rate of 41% versus a combined Canadian federal and Manitoba tax rate of 51%. And he's only 26!

Old Posted Jul 13, 2021, 4:02 PM

Uh, that's what I said in my post. He is going to get his money. But thanks for getting back to me after my post from five months ago.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan