HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 6:09 PM

I'm shocked by how far Sterling Bay is bringing this massive redevelopment with absolutely no concrete plans for transit implementation from the city/CTA. This site is a nightmare to get to for nearly everyone as is. I don't think Amazon will end up here (not enough time to get it actually shovel ready), but I also don't see the appeal of putting office here if no one can get there outside of the north suburbs and north/near northwest sides of the city.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 6:44 PM

The Sun-Times says Amazon is touring "the 78", Lincoln Yards, and Fulton Market sites. Why are they brushing off The Post Office/Union location? That site makes the most logical sense from a transit standpoint.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 8:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west-town-brad View Post
I hope it looks like this in the end, but some of these renderings remind me of late 2000's boom developments like Roosevelt Collection.

Big ideas executed poorly over a long period of time giving us basically a suburban mall.
ditto (New City also comes to mind)

anyway, unless this site actually does land Amazon, i seriously doubt this gets developed the way theyre envisioning in the "next few years". the current boom will not last forever, and its already starting to get to the point where its looking frothy.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 9:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freefall View Post
The Sun-Times says Amazon is touring "the 78", Lincoln Yards, and Fulton Market sites. Why are they brushing off The Post Office/Union location? That site makes the most logical sense from a transit standpoint.
This makes me wonder if Post Office has already leased a fair amount of space to others. I could be wrong, but I would assume Amazon would want the entire Post Office if they were going choose it for HQ2.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 10:40 PM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayorOfChicago View Post

A big piece of the proposal is some very solid transit into and out of the area.
This is what I'd love to learn more about. This area lacks good transit, and anything short of a new rail line (or maybe BRT with dedicated ROW) isn't going to pass muster IMO.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 8:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorhosj View Post
Something like this always seemed like the most logical decision. Put 15,000 employees in three different sites/cities. This spreads talent acquisition, limits risk and you still get huge tax incentives.

Still waiting to here more about the announced Google (5,000 workers) and Apple (10,000? workers) expansions.
I suspect the Amazon plan is still to go forward with a massive second hub but wouldn't be at all surprised if another smaller location is part of the announcement

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freefall View Post
There visiting post office/union station and the central downtown site as well...there here for 2 days..perhaps that is just one day

Old Posted Mar 22, 2018, 6:41 PM

https://chicago.curbed.com/2018/3/22...gs-amazon-site

Presuming everyone saw this which includes new renders. Even includes a render of the new "Lincoln Yard Station". Aggressive.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2018, 6:57 PM

Old Posted Mar 23, 2018, 3:56 AM

Glorious. Please make it happen.^

Old Posted Mar 23, 2018, 9:08 AM

Nice looking dog park!

Old Posted Mar 23, 2018, 1:49 PM

On images 5 & 6 a rendering of the 606 is revealed. How the elevated 606 traverses Ashland is still unkonwn. If the overpass needs rebuild-the roadbed may need to be lowered.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2018, 3:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpIllInoIs View Post
On images 5 & 6 a rendering of the 606 is revealed. How the elevated 606 traverses Ashland is still unkonwn. If the overpass needs rebuild-the roadbed may need to be lowered.
The abutments for the old railroad bridge are still in place. They had adequate clearance before and if more is desired, they could raise the new bridge like they did at Milwaukee, with a lot less headache than lowering the roadbed.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2018, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKDickman View Post
Dude,
It's 15 feet tall.
OK - you're right.

I still think it shouldn't cost a $billion just for the station. Pushing dirt around is not that hard or that expensive. Bridges cost money but the entire project to replace bridges on UP-N only cost $215 million. Those bridges are much simpler, but there are 22 of them...

But if you're right and it does costs a $billion or more, and furthermore the developer isn't ponying up, then definitely forget it.

Old Posted May 9, 2018, 4:56 PM
Biased in a good way?

Cubs owner Tom Ricketts buying new Chicago soccer team

Quote:
The baseball team owner and Chicago developer Sterling Bay said they are forming a joint venture to bring a United Soccer League expansion team to the planned Lincoln Yards commercial real estate development along the Chicago River.

Sterling Bay will develop the stadium, and will keep an ownership stake in the USL franchise it bought last year. Ricketts will be the team’s majority owner.

Ricketts’ interest in the soccer team likely goes well beyond buying into a league whose expansion franchise fee is $5 million.

He’s gained expertise in combining sporting events with entertainment and surrounding real estate. Ricketts, who previously owned a minority stake in English soccer team Derby County, could take on a role in the development of Lincoln Yards.

Broadcasts of the new soccer team also could create content for the Cubs’ planned television network, according to someone familiar with Ricketts’ plans.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...508-story.html

Old Posted May 9, 2018, 6:03 PM
Show me the blueprints

Conservatives like soccer?

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted May 9, 2018, 6:37 PM
Development Shill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
Conservatives like investments that pay off down the line. That being said I know a few who absolutely do like the sport, although obviously far from a significant percentage of the market, they are out there

Old Posted May 9, 2018, 6:46 PM
TL;DR

Interesting! I always thought the stadium was one of the more pie-in-the-sky components of the Lincoln Yards plan, but now it might actually be one of the first to move forward.

If the stadium gets built, it will be a huge lure for office tenants and demonstrate the viability of the area as a destination.

Unfortunately, the urban-style stadium Sterling Bay has planned won’t really work without the transitway and other infrastructure to get people to the site, so they will still need to finance that massive infra bill somehow.

Old Posted May 9, 2018, 6:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
Considering the average value of a MLS team has more than doubled from 100 million to 220 million in 3 years, I'd say it's more about the money than the sport itself. Granted this is a USL team not MLS... but $5 million seems pretty cheap. Many of the most successful USL teams eventually become MLS teams.

Also, average attendence per league for 2017/18

NFL 67,405
MLB 30,023
MLS 22,106
NBA 17,830
NHL 17,446

Definitely a large and growing market for soccer.

Old Posted May 9, 2018, 6:56 PM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kngkyle View Post
Considering the average value of a MLS team has more than doubled from 100 million to 220 million in 3 years, I'd say it's more about the money than the sport itself. Granted this is a USL team not MLS... but $5 million seems pretty cheap. Many of the most successful USL teams eventually become MLS teams.

Also, average attendence per league for 2017/18

NFL 67,405
MLB 30,023
MLS 22,106
NBA 17,830
NHL 17,446

Definitely a large and growing market for soccer.
Is this nationally or just the Chicago market? If the latter, I'd expect the NHL numbers to be significantly higher... which leads me to believe its the former.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development