HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post

And oh how I wish that awful suburban-style OC Tanner corporate campus there would be moved or overhauled. But that's a whole other story.
They completely remodeled it inside and out in 2015, so at least it doesn't look like a steaming pile of 1970s.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 3:13 PM

I'm glad you guys brought it up. I hadn't paid any attention to it since the remodel. I'm thinking it's quite nice, especially the masonry, which apparently has won some awards.

http://big-d.com

Big-D.com

http://www.utahmasonrycouncil.org

http://wondoor.com

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 3:52 PM
A.K.A. Vigo

That is a vast improvement on OC Tanner. I wish they would do the same thing to the triad Center. Ushualy I love tall building, but I’m actually glad that the triad center did not build all the skyscrapers they had originally planned. Would have looked so ugly.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 4:40 PM
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajiuO View Post
That is a vast improvement on OC Tanner. I wish they would do the same thing to the triad Center. Ushualy I love tall building, but I’m actually glad that the triad center did not build all the skyscrapers they had originally planned. Would have looked so ugly.
On the three, huge blocks west of temple square there is only one building that isn't ugly, the Devereaux Mansion. If and when the LDS Church develops on their vast swaths of parking, everything else either needs to be renovated (the Triad Center) or torn down and replaced (Plaza Hotel, library, museum, and old Dees).

While I'm on the subject, there should also be 2-3 streets with protected view corridors of the temple, at least one of those corridors should be from 300 West all the way to West Temple. Any other new streets or walkways shouldn't travel straight through the whole block, but rather have a random, angled trajectory through the blocks, in a way that you can't see the end of the street from the beginning of the street, kind of like what The Ritchie Group is planning for block 67.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 8:20 PM

Don't get me wrong, the OC Tanner building looks nice since the remodel. But it's still a huge corporate campus that takes up an entire block in the middle of the city. Maybe if they had done some kind of street engagement I wouldn't mind so much, but it's still a huge building in the middle of the block, surrounded by parking lots, fenced off on the State St. side, in an area of the city that has all the potential to be more lively and walkable.

It's much nicer than it used to be, aesthetically and visually speaking, but it still feels like a missed opportunity.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, the OC Tanner building looks nice since the remodel. But it's still a huge corporate campus that takes up an entire block in the middle of the city. Maybe if they had done some kind of street engagement I wouldn't mind so much, but it's still a huge building in the middle of the block, surrounded by parking lots, fenced off on the State St. side, in an area of the city that has all the potential to be more lively and walkable.

It's much nicer than it used to be, aesthetically and visually speaking, but it still feels like a missed opportunity.
It's so large because they also do manufacturing and fulfillment on-site.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 8:55 PM

I like the Triad Center, church museum & library. Dee's and Plaza can go, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by airhero View Post
On the three, huge blocks west of temple square there is only one building that isn't ugly, the Devereaux Mansion. If and when the LDS Church develops on their vast swaths of parking, everything else either needs to be renovated (the Triad Center) or torn down and replaced (Plaza Hotel, library, museum, and old Dees).

While I'm on the subject, there should also be 2-3 streets with protected view corridors of the temple, at least one of those corridors should be from 300 West all the way to West Temple. Any other new streets or walkways shouldn't travel straight through the whole block, but rather have a random, angled trajectory through the blocks, in a way that you can't see the end of the street from the beginning of the street, kind of like what The Ritchie Group is planning for block 67.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 9:10 PM

Quote:

That's near my neck of the woods. The OC Tanner building is not the problem that is holding the area back. It is the drug infested motels. The area is plenty lively on a Friday night but I wouldn't call it walkable. Take a walk by Capital Motel at night to understand what I mean.

Witzels pawn was just repurposed by Sunburst Auto. Normally I would be upset at such a waste but it is a vast improvement. I think the motels put serious limitations on what people are willing to invest on State Street in that area. I was surprised to see that they're going to renovate the property on downington and State.

I too feel that the area is underutilized but so long as those motels remain there I think it's going to continue to be underutilized.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 9:32 PM

The architecture firm that will design the homeless resource centers in Salt Lake will be AJC Architects. In Salt Lake City, they designed the Morton apartments, the Tracy Aviary visitors center, the Children's Center (Oquirrh School), and the Leonardo reuse among other projects. Here is their website: http://ajcarchitects.com/

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 10:46 PM

Do you guys know the name of the company that purchased the 400s west temple site (Void)?

Old Posted Jun 29, 2017, 12:42 AM
A.K.A. Vigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by airhero View Post

I believe the library and museum just underwent a major renovation... at least on the inside. I wouldn’t be upset if they tore the triad Center down... although I think that building could be dramatically improved just by replacing the glass.

I think at one point I heard that the Plaza would be converted in to student housing. Not sure if they plan on reclading it or not. I wouldn’t be hurt if that thing were to be imploded though.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2017, 1:07 AM

Old Posted Jun 29, 2017, 1:31 AM
One Thing At A Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by asies1981 View Post
I know of a group of street artists that had a plan to expand on the Mother Mary Mural idea by doing twelve more large female instillations in the different parts of the city. There is another by the S Line in Sugar House it would be cool if the large mural on these lofts were a part of that system of landmarks.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2017, 3:23 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by asies1981 View Post
3 stories, yawn.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2017, 3:41 AM
Destroy 200 S. Carl's Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by airportvids View Post
3 stories, yawn.
Better than an empty lot, jeez.

I think Isaac puts a lot of work into his site, maybe we should give him a thank you?

Salt Lake City throughout 2015 in the My City Photos Forum >>>http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=215244

Old Posted Jun 29, 2017, 4:17 AM

^^^^^^^

Yes! I second that!

Thank you

Old Posted Jun 29, 2017, 5:28 AM

Quote:
3 stories, yawn.
Damn dude, you need to take up Yoga or something.

I think what's happening in the Central 9th neighborhood is awesome. It is changing rapidly, and all these for-sale townhouses going in are helping to fill a gaping demand in SLC proper. I say this as someone who's been looking for exactly this kind of real estate.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2017, 7:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenar View Post
It's so large because they also do manufacturing and fulfillment on-site.
Oh I'm aware they do a lot there. I'm not saying there's not a reason for it to be huge, but if you look at it, there's a ton of surface parking, and no street engagement. I'm not saying it has to move, or that there can't by any surface parking, and I've got nothing against the company, I just think it would do well to have something facing and engaging with the street. I couldn't really tell you exactly what, but something more than just a fence, lawn, and parking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty Wellsian View Post
That's near my neck of the woods. The OC Tanner building is not the problem that is holding the area back. It is the drug infested motels. The area is plenty lively on a Friday night but I wouldn't call it walkable. Take a walk by Capital Motel at night to understand what I mean.

Witzels pawn was just repurposed by Sunburst Auto. Normally I would be upset at such a waste but it is a vast improvement. I think the motels put serious limitations on what people are willing to invest on State Street in that area. I was surprised to see that they're going to renovate the property on downington and State.

I too feel that the area is underutilized but so long as those motels remain there I think it's going to continue to be underutilized.
Yeah, the motels are a huge issue. I've attended classes at that SLCC campus, walked along State St. to catch the S-Line or 21 bus, and am aware of how run-down the street feels (though I haven't walked it at night, perhaps for the best!). But I think some proper investment in the region could easily drive those motels out given a few years. I'm not too surprised at that upcoming renovation because it's a good location (geographically-speaking) especially with The Crossing going in and the college nearby, and I think it could begin some development in that area if it's successful. It's probably the worst section of State St., period.

In an ideal world, half of the stretch from about Westminster Ave. north to 1700S would be demolished and the other half renovated (there's some buildings that have potential to be cute with a renovation), but you know....give it time I guess.

Quote:
3 stories, yawn.
Surprise surprise, another negative post from airportvids. Personally I don't think 9th & 9th needs huge, 6-8+ story apartment buildings. And there's a major lack of mid-sized housing in the city. Not everybody wants to live in huge apartment buildings.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2017, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Surprise surprise, another negative post from airportvids. Personally I don't think 9th & 9th needs huge, 6-8+ story apartment buildings. And there's a major lack of mid-sized housing in the city. Not everybody wants to live in huge apartment buildings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottharding View Post
Damn dude, you need to take up Yoga or something.

I think what's happening in the Central 9th neighborhood is awesome. It is changing rapidly, and all these for-sale townhouses going in are helping to fill a gaping demand in SLC proper. I say this as someone who's been looking for exactly this kind of real estate.
Hahaha, Agree on all counts. Regarding Central 9th., most here in Central L.A. wish we could go back into many of the neighborhoods and undo the damage caused by certain 60's/70's apartment projects that were waaay too oversized for their particular location. I think the Central Ninth Lofts project just updated by Asies is the perfect massing and overall concept for that site. Everything about it is very tasteful and appropriate. I like the public art they've been adding to some of the new projects also. Makes for a welcome and needed variation to the residential boom in the city.

I assume you meant Central 9th Bob, but same applies for 9th and 9th too. Regarding the O.C. Tanner redo. While I think it is a very attractive improvement over what was there, I totally get your points regarding wanting more of an urban statement for State Street. The other day I took a bit of a Google Tour of the Fire Clay area, especially the Murray portion of State. Needless to say, Murray really needs to up it's game. In addition to BRT, State St. is one of those corridors that needs some pretty radical and passionate rethinking and action by State, County and planning leaders.

Rendering of the Central 9 Lofts. Image courtesy LandForge Inc. https://i2.wp.com/www.buildingsaltlake.com

Last edited by delts145; Jun 29, 2017 at 11:35 AM.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2017, 12:04 PM

Oh yeah, my bad. Woops! Central 9th, not 9th & 9th. I've only recently begun to catch up on everything that's going on...it's hard to keep track of where everything is going. Either way, neither neighborhood needs huge apartments. There's already plenty going up all over Salt Lake. It looks like they're going for a really cool, artsy feel for Central 9th, which is fantastic. It needs an overhaul. I think building huge apartments will just make it feel like every other neighborhood in Salt Lake. It looks like they're doing a great job planning smaller-scale developments there. I'm going to have to check it out one of these days, it's an area of the city I'm not very familiar with.

And yeah, I agree delts. South of 600S, State St. is only intermittently impressive. It has the potential to be a really great urban corridor. It will always be more commercial-oriented, but it's centrally located to everything. There's at least potential for nodes of great urbanism all the way down interspersed with more commercialized sections.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West