HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

Old Posted Oct 9, 2020, 4:56 AM
TL;DR

It may end up being a concrete frame for the parking podium though...

Old Posted Oct 9, 2020, 10:00 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toasty Joe View Post
seems like more office buildings built in the last 5 years in Chicago have used reinforced concrete, sometimes a mix of steel & concrete - see some recent posts in the BMO tower thread[/url]

That's only true for office buildings below a certain height/size. Every large (somewhat arbitrary, but I'll use ~30+ stories, ~600,000+ sf) 'Class A' office tower - with only one exception - built this century in downtown Chicago has been composite structure (concrete core with steel frame). And - the lone exception was not a concrete frame - it was a rarer entirely steel structure (steel core + frame) at 131 S. Dearborn. As I recall, the reason a steel core was selected for that construction was that the project heavily re-used the existing deep foundations from the prior demolished structure on the site, and to accommodate, they selected the significantly reduced load of the all steel structure. The price of steel (again as I recall) was fairly low at the time, and that no doubt factored at least partly into the decision as well.

I believe that a major reason why you increasingly now see a mix of composite structure and all concrete structure for mid-rise and smaller high-rise office here (still somewhat more composite than concrete) is that the concrete frame plays into the 'lofty'/creative space office aesthetic that has marketplace appeal among office tenants (some more than others). It's not necessarily my thing (I don't dislike it though) per se, but I certainly 'get it'. There are also technical construction/engineering/commodity price factors at work without a doubt - but office space market factors are a clear driver in my view.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2020, 1:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
BMO is what we call a steel structure. Both steel and concrete towers have a concrete elevator core as their spine (and fire escapes). Both steel and concrete use concrete piers for the foundation ( or bundles of steel piles tied up in a concrete mat ).

don't know which type this one will be.
I believe we don't actually build true steel towers any more. The concrete core with steel framing is a hybrid structure. A true steel tower is the Hancock or Sears where all shear forces are addressed purely through the steel structure. Those buildings have no concrete core and that's why they have all the fancy trusses and belt trusses.

Reddit.com/r/REbubble

Old Posted Oct 11, 2020, 4:47 PM

I hope someone will soon upload a drawing of this building to the Diagrams page. Being the tallest office tower constructed in Chicago since 1990, this building is highly significant.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2020, 8:09 PM

Oct 15

Old Posted Oct 19, 2020, 2:07 AM

Old Posted Oct 19, 2020, 12:15 PM
BANNED

^ I like the close-up rendering. I am not so sure the other image's scale is accurate, though it's close. This tower will be roughly 155' taller than WPE. Seems short in the rendering.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2020, 12:53 PM
The City

So that's how they plan to do the 'Salesforce' logo, eh?

I guess they aren't going with something more elaborate on the rooftop?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Oct 19, 2020, 3:13 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post
^ I like the close-up rendering. I am not so sure the other image's scale is accurate, though it's close. This tower will be roughly 155' taller than WPE. Seems short in the rendering.
WPE is 670-680 feet about (different sources vary a bit). Looks about right or maybe off by just a few feet.

In comparison I think this tower looks about 835' to the parapet in the first rendering. It almost looks a bit taller than that but maybe I'm just seeing things.

I do think the skinny top and fat body look odd from that angle. The second rendering is really cool though.

Quote:
So that's how they plan to do the 'Salesforce' logo, eh?

I guess they aren't going with something more elaborate on the rooftop?
Pretty standard but I like it. Something super fancy like the crown of the SF tower (i.e. light shows) would've been nice.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2020, 4:01 PM

The second picture shows if the top of the tower is building outward similar to the Transamerica pyramid

Old Posted Oct 19, 2020, 7:36 PM

Great set Harry. That last shot really illustrates how much open space the site will still have.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2020, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post
If I understand correctly, WPS is being measured from the Riverwalk while WPE from street level which is a 22' difference apparently. WPS is 835' from Riverwalk and 813' from street level, so if you compare their tops it is WPS at 813' vs WPE at 665' (cbtuh has 668'). WPS is (sadly) shorter than 110 Wacker on the skyline.

https://www.chicagoarchitecture.org/...ed-back-again/ shows diagrams and the first render is pretty accurate, and if anything shows WPS a little taller in the render given a tiny bit of perspective effect.

Last edited by rivernorthlurker; Oct 21, 2020 at 7:42 PM.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2020, 9:17 PM

Old Posted Oct 26, 2020, 1:33 PM

Was out shooting 110 on Saturday with the lifted bridges & passing boats (great success), then walked over to Salesforce.

May be a few days before I get through the edits, but here's a screengrab of what I'm working on. Great height for shooting over the fence right now!

Old Posted Oct 26, 2020, 4:49 PM
BANNED

^ Very niiice, Nick. OT but I drove past 110 on Saturday evening and it was looking gorgeous. The Riverwalk portion appears to be complete.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2020, 3:00 AM

Salesforce Tower

Oct 26

Oct 29

Old Posted Nov 2, 2020, 3:26 PM

we are lucky to get to watch this during such an obvious market downturn (covid)

Old Posted Nov 2, 2020, 4:42 PM

Just wait- six months from now: OC, 320 S Canal, WPS, and 300N Michigan will all have cranes puncturing the skyline

Old Posted Nov 2, 2020, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCorsair87 View Post
Just wait- six months from now: OC, 320 S Canal, WPS, and 300N Michigan will all have cranes puncturing the skyline
And it's not too crazy to think that Site I, 400N LSD and Tribune Tower East could all break ground in 2021.

Lending rates are stupendously low and there's reasons to believe infrastructure stimulus is a real possibility, too.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2020, 5:54 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildThemTaller View Post
And it's not too crazy to think that Site I, 400N LSD and Tribune Tower East could all break ground in 2021.

Lending rates are stupendously low and there's reasons to believe infrastructure stimulus is a real possibility, too.
Holy crap, you may be onto something.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction