HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Skyscraper & Urban Art

Old Posted Aug 18, 2011, 1:40 PM
Closed account

Amazing stuff, rjb001.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2011, 2:37 PM

"But aren't those bridges sort of temporary until the completion of the WTC? Does anyone know?"

Really? I'm suprised you thought of that. I would have expected them to reconstruct the north bridge and connect it to the freedom tower and kept the other one too rather than deconstructing it.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2011, 6:39 PM
Basket Case

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjb001 View Post
I'm planning on doing the two spanning west st: the north one (to the WTC) for sure. I'm not sure about the south one, however, because it basically ends in front of the pool where the Deutchse Building was deconstructed. If I do that one, it'll probably just terminate at the model's edge. That is, near the middle of the highway.

But aren't those bridges sort of temporary until the completion of the WTC? Does anyone know?

And as far as the bridge connecting 1 WFC to the rest of the buildings, I'll definitely do that one.
The south bridge is actually an original pre-9/11 bridge...it didn't really go anywhere except to a parking lot around that small church. In the future it'll connect to the new Liberty Park.

The north bride looks temporary to me, just from how it appears and how it looks to have been built. I would think a much nicer bridge that complements the new 1 WTC will be built later, maybe after 1 WTC opens or when more of the site has been built.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2011, 2:23 AM

Location: Born and raised Clevelander, former Atlantan and Dallasite, and now 'probational' New Yorker, ha
Can't wait to see the whole WFC finished.

It'd also be cool to get this together with JSR's One WTC (and any other WTC buildings he's does). Is 1/650th the same size as JSR's One WTC? (can't tell seems like his post on it was deleted for some reason /:

www.UrbanImpressionist.com ______ Twitter: @UrbanImpress ______ UrbanImpressionist on Facebook______ UrbanImpressionist on Youtube

Old Posted Aug 19, 2011, 3:46 AM
Is That LEGO?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanImpressionist View Post
Can't wait to see the whole WFC finished.

It'd also be cool to get this together with JSR's One WTC (and any other WTC buildings he's does). Is 1/650th the same size as JSR's One WTC? (can't tell seems like his post on it was deleted for some reason /:
Same scale. Yea, the plan is to combine them next summer at Brickworld in Chicago.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2011, 4:58 AM

Location: Born and raised Clevelander, former Atlantan and Dallasite, and now 'probational' New Yorker, ha
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsr View Post
Same scale. Yea, the plan is to combine them next summer at Brickworld in Chicago.
Nice ...looking fwd to it gents!

www.UrbanImpressionist.com ______ Twitter: @UrbanImpress ______ UrbanImpressionist on Facebook______ UrbanImpressionist on Youtube

Old Posted Aug 19, 2011, 7:14 AM
Eagle Scout since 9/28/09

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsr View Post
I wasn't sure if you wanted me to say anything yet

That's why I kinda beat around the bush when asking details about the bridges as far as not specifying whether or not I'd do the full bridges even though my model's base will likely terminate at the midpoint of West St.

But now that it's out, I guess I can say I'll make shortened West St spanning bridges for when my model's by itself. Then I'll make seperate longer bridges for the collaborative display.

I suppose the only question is whether to do the post-WTC-completion bridges that may exist in the future. I think we need STR here to help figure out these bridges! I'll get on that!

Old Posted Aug 19, 2011, 9:10 AM
Because I'm Clever!

The south footbridge, the one that survived 9/11, is permanent. It will lead from the WFC to the park on top of the VSC/truck entrance to the WTC.

"Liberty Park"

The north footbridge is temporary. It will be replaced with an underground passageway connecting the WTC concourse to the WFC. It will lead to a new glass framed entrance along West St.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2011, 5:05 PM
Is That LEGO?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjb001 View Post
I wasn't sure if you wanted me to say anything yet
Eh, it's not a big deal. Skyscraperpage is rather isolated from the general LEGO online community. There are a lot of knowledgeable people on this site that can provide useful data. There's no reason to be forced into vague questions and answers in order to keep things under wraps IMO.

BTW does anyone else want to join us and modeling another chunk of lower Manhattan @1/650th scale in plastic bricks?

Old Posted Aug 19, 2011, 5:51 PM

Thanks a lot for that information STR! One last question though, do you know what the entrances to the underground passageway on either side of West St will look like or where they'll be located?

Old Posted Aug 19, 2011, 8:18 PM
Because I'm Clever!

You can see it here, just east of the Wintergarden glass atrium. It will look like the overhyped 5th Ave Apple Store in GM Plaza. Glass cube held together with tension grids. There's a discussion about it somewhere over at WiredNY, but I have no idea where it is now. Brookfield wants to demolish the circular stairs that lead to the former north footbridge to the WTC, and replace it with the new grand entrance. Community groups are objecting, as the stairs serve as seating for the music performances held in the WFC. So...final details may vary.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2011, 3:18 PM
Basket Case

According to this article the stairs will be saved, and a store or cafe will be opened beneath them to give a good front to the commuters making their way into the WFC.

On that note it says they still plan on building the glass box outside, and I assume they still have the same basic look in mind for it there.

(Brookfield Properties)

Old Posted Aug 21, 2011, 7:04 AM

Wow that'll be a nice addition to the model! Obviously there'll be multiple things that will be added/changed to the WFC complex because of the WTC construction. So I guess I could say this model's base won't be as accurate as possible until the WTC is finished.

Pretty much how Spencer's WTC is sure to undergo significant changes as certain aspects of construction aren't fully revealed until they are installed/completed.

Last edited by rjb001; Aug 21, 2011 at 8:06 AM.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2011, 6:51 PM

I know it's been awhile since the last update so I figure I should fill you all in...

I've had other smaller projects that I'd like to finish before I start this rather large one. I should be able to start it some time around December or January. Therefore, I'll have to push the completion date back to, say, March- May.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2011, 3:44 AM
Legos,Buildings,Drawing

hi Rocco Buttliere (aka rjb001) nice WFC I'm planing on drawing the 4 financial buildings for my made up city there going to go in my Manhattan Area(it looks nothing like Manhattan) with the world trade center and more buildings in lower Manhattan(includes the Manhattan bridge too). Keep up the good work!!

Old Posted Jan 21, 2012, 9:19 PM

Let the parts gathering begin!

So this is what 2,000 tan headlight bricks looks like...

Note the plate separators for scale.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2012, 10:11 PM
Legos,Buildings,Drawing

hey dude i going to build some buildings in San Diego at your scale 1 to 650th.
also i cant wait to see the world financial centers in nyc. are they going to be to scale too.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2012, 10:20 PM

After several discarded prototypes, I've settled on a semi-final design for the Winter Garden atrium!

I'm kicking designing back into high gear! Expect more frequent updates again

Old Posted Feb 4, 2012, 6:02 AM

Wow that looks great! I wish i could get lego by the thousands.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2012, 3:15 AM

First official update for the WFC Plaza construction phase!

The model will stretch up through a quarter of the north-bound lane of West Side Highway.

Last edited by rjb001; Feb 6, 2012 at 5:29 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Skyscraper & Urban Art