HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jan 7, 2022, 3:08 PM

I think the new location is the biggest factor in the decision to relocate the Riverview Kent store. There's really no comparison as far as accessibility goes, especially for commercial type vehicles. At the same time, Kent can build a better store with a more modern setup. I think it's a smart business decision by them.

Hopefully it will create some more momentum and we'll see even more development in Findlay Park. There is also the proposal for the BNS lot at the corner of Pinewood & Cleveland Avenue. A new 4 story apartment building and another commercial building intended for a retail/restaurant tenant are planned.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2022, 4:33 PM

Even if the store is smaller, the store layout, site layout and location are all superior. I assumed when Kent renovated the old Sobeys that they didn’t plan on staying at that location long term anyway. They are several years into multi year plan of rebuilding or relocating all of their stores. After this Riverview one opened, all of the stores in the area will only be a few years old. Edmundston and Mirimachi are the last ones in the province that will need to be replaced. Summerside, and Montague in PEI and Amherst are other store close by that are due to be replaced.

The point is that Irving is standardized the size of all the Kent stores and while some stores might loose square footage after being replaced they are more organized for workers and easier to shop for customers because the layout is so familiar.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2022, 4:43 PM

Not sure, but they have a small store in Petit-Codiac that may be forgotten most of the time. I saw it years ago when I happened to drive through the town. I don't think that's been renovated.

But yeah, all of their major stores seem to have been replaced. Home Hardware and Kent have both done a major reno lately. IMO, Canadian Tire is a bit overdue now for a revamp now. I don't know about the stores in the Moncton area, but the Woodstock store is way too small for its market, and the Smythe Street Fredericton store (IMO) is in need of a thorough gutting and reorganization/cleanup, if not an expansion. 2NC seems okay enough and I have no idea of the state of the Oromocto store.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2022, 6:49 PM

I'm still curious as to what will happen with the old Kent location. It just isn't the most convenient location for retail in my humble opinion. Interestingly, in October the PAC approved a 4 story 40 unit apartment building on a vacant piece of land beside (west) the Kent store. Maybe some type of mixed use commercial/residential development?

Old Posted Jan 7, 2022, 7:38 PM

We talked about that earlier in this thread.

My own suspicions is that it is an ideal location for a major residential tower; like The Current

But there may not be enough availability in the Moncton Construction scene to handle such a project right now. So most likely the space will be flipped temporarily, into another midbox retailer like Marshals, or subdivided into smaller retail space.

In 5-10 years when there's more construction slack, the site will be redeveloped into a major residential tower project.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2022, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
We talked about that earlier in this thread.

My own suspicions is that it is an ideal location for a major residential tower; like The Current

But there may not be enough availability in the Moncton Construction scene to handle such a project right now. So most likely the space will be flipped temporarily, into another midbox retailer like Marshals, or subdivided into smaller retail space.

In 5-10 years when there's more construction slack, the site will be redeveloped into a major residential tower project.
I do recall that suggestion. And I also think that any major redevelopment of the site won't happen for quite some time. With the situation today in the construction industry, it will likely be a couple of years before Thrive even gets started on The Current.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2022, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
Not sure, but they have a small store in Petit-Codiac that may be forgotten most of the time. I saw it years ago when I happened to drive through the town. I don't think that's been renovated.

But yeah, all of their major stores seem to have been replaced. Home Hardware and Kent have both done a major reno lately. IMO, Canadian Tire is a bit overdue now for a revamp now. I don't know about the stores in the Moncton area, but the Woodstock store is way too small for its market, and the Smythe Street Fredericton store (IMO) is in need of a thorough gutting and reorganization/cleanup, if not an expansion. 2NC seems okay enough and I have no idea of the state of the Oromocto store.
I forgot about the Petticodiac store! I also forgot there was one in Bouctouche. There is a small one in Kensington PEI similar in size to the Peticodiac store too. There is also a very small, but new store, in Tracadie. This could be the template for smaller community stores in places like Peticodiac, Perth-Andover, Minto, or Hampton.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2022, 12:31 PM

The Kent store in Petitcodiac is the former Fawcett Lumber location. It was purchased by Irving and turned into a Kent store, so it wasn't constructed to their spec initially.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2022, 11:22 AM

I apologize for delay answering. As I recall the current Kent (the former rebuilt Sobeys) is in the 80,000-90,000 sq ft vicinity. Just Look at the layout and number of isles. I think folks would be surprised at how much smaller the new “small” Kent store layout is… As mentioned, it’s what they recently built in Shediac. It’s one central isle down the middle with isles on each side. Similar to Downey’s, but without the extra space beside the pro desk.

My point is that when it comes to hardware stores, smaller is not better… They will only be able to stock a fraction of the stuff they have at the other stores — including half of what’s in Riverview now (and the Kent website is, at best, marginal to tell customers what and where something is available). And it’s really nice that the Riverview store has much of their lumber inside, similar to Home Depot, but unlike their normal stores.

And I disagree that it’s currently difficult to access. It has its own traffic light and a westbound turn lane!

And I don’t think we should celebrate businesses decisions to build in Riverview if it’s less that what the area needs and deserves. Most businesses ignore the fact that Riverview also serves much of west Moncton, making its customer base far larger than just the town itself.

Look how crammed Canadian Tire is and how busy Superstore is.

In any case it doesn’t matter because what’s done is done.

As for future use, that property is well suited for a new residential complex similar to the other Thrive projects. With its access and elevated position, the views would be excellent.

Last edited by Irish1; Jan 11, 2022 at 12:12 PM.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2022, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish1 View Post
I apologize for delay answering. As I recall the current Kent (the former rebuilt Sobeys) is in the 80,000-90,000 sq ft vicinity. Just Look at the layout and number of isles. I think folks would be surprised at how much smaller the new “small” Kent store layout is… As mentioned, it’s what they recently built in Shediac. It’s one central isle down the middle with isles on each side. Similar to Downey’s, but without the extra space beside the pro desk.

My point is that when it comes to hardware stores, smaller is not better… They will only be able to stock a fraction of the stuff they have at the other stores — including half of what’s in Riverview now (and the Kent website is, at best, marginal to tell customers what and where something is available). And it’s really nice that the Riverview store has much of their lumber inside, similar to Home Depot, but unlike their normal stores.

And I disagree that it’s currently difficult to access. It has its own traffic light and a westbound turn lane!

And I don’t think we should celebrate businesses decisions to build in Riverview if it’s less that what the area needs and deserves. Most businesses ignore the fact that Riverview also serves much of west Moncton, making its customer base far larger than just the town itself.

Look how crammed Canadian Tire is and how busy Superstore is.

In any case it doesn’t matter because what’s done is done.

As for future use, that property is well suited for a new residential complex similar to the other Thrive projects. With its access and elevated position, the views would be excellent.
There is no way that building is 80,000 sq ft. Sobeys has never ever built a store that big. Superstore barely even builds stores that big. Plus when you look at the back corner of the building being on an angle you’re lucky if this building is 40,000 square feet. I agree that the Canadian Tire is cramped. Superstore is busy but it was built back in the 90’s so what do you expect. The store will be much more similar to the one on Harrisville than to the one in Shediac.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2022, 12:54 PM

Also to note, when Kent moved into that location they were leasing the property from Sobeys, it was a short term lease that was either extended or Kent bought the property outright, but either way, it wasn't meant to be their permanent location but rather their foot in the market.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2022, 1:35 PM
Non-Farmers, Farm Celery

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
There is no way that building is 80,000 sq ft. Sobeys has never ever built a store that big. Superstore barely even builds stores that big. Plus when you look at the back corner of the building being on an angle you’re lucky if this building is 40,000 square feet. I agree that the Canadian Tire is cramped. Superstore is busy but it was built back in the 90’s so what do you expect. The store will be much more similar to the one on Harrisville than to the one in Shediac.

This is a 50,000 square foot Sobeys recently built. It looks larger than the current Kent location to me so I would say your 40-50k estimate isn't far off

Old Posted Jan 11, 2022, 3:11 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

According to a Huddle article, John McManaman has stated that pre-leasing for The Tides is about 1/3rd complete, and they expect to have the building ready to move in by late this fall.

If this is the case, I would imagine they may be able to begin construction on The Current by 2023. McManaman noted in the article however that labour shortages and supply chain issues make any construction schedule difficult at present........

Old Posted Jan 11, 2022, 3:31 PM

The suggestion that in the future the existing Kent store location should be repurposed to residential is logical. When I look at the map, I see major potential for this property. The parking lot is huge, and the site is accessible via three driveways. If a project could include underground parking, there could potentially be two residential towers. Hopefully a major developer will acquire the property, be creative in their plans, and decide to do something substantial with it.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2022, 11:10 PM

According to a story in Huddle, John McManaman of Thrive Properties says that they already have a third of the units in The Tides pre leased. Given the location and the view, I think this one will fill up fast.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2022, 7:47 PM

A lot of snow shoveling going on at The Tides today. They couldn't quite get the ceiling finished on the 1st floor before the storm hit.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2022, 1:02 PM

anybody hear that Uhaul has purchased the old Costco building in Moncton ?

Old Posted Jan 19, 2022, 8:04 PM

I have heard this, but not from a solid source.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2022, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'homard View Post
I have heard this, but not from a solid source.
SAME HERE T & T just published that the Costco sale is almost a done deal . wait n see

Old Posted Jan 22, 2022, 8:43 PM

They have been doing more earth moving on the Moncton side of the river near the new 2021 Moncton-Riverview Causeway Bridge. I wonder if they are working on widening the river channel. I had assumed that all the work was complete.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces